Shenton

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Shenton

Post by tigerfeat » 20 Jan 2020, 20:20

Hepworth7 wrote: 20 Jan 2020, 16:10
nottinghamtiger wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 20:43
HuddsTigers wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 18:20 Watts, Cook, McMeeken, Smith, Blair, Moors, Foster all injured and missing.

Shenton went off after 25 for a head check. Jesse hobbled off and we ended the game with Clare at centre., I think we will have a bit more punch that we need.
The trouble is that Moors and Foster are almost always injured.
It’s also not unusual to lose players during a game.
It’s blindingly obvious what is missing, and has been since the end of 2017. We’ve had two full seasons and we are still going into 2020 without a full-back who is good enough to be an attacking threat against a decent defensive set-up. Until we sort that, we won’t be winning anything.
That's about the size of it,three years and we seem to be no nearer to sorting the Full Back issue.
Wells likes to take his time or no one wants to come to cas one of two
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Squaddie86
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Squaddie86 » 20 Jan 2020, 22:46

Mucky1978 wrote: 20 Jan 2020, 14:22 Said over 12 months ago Powell As took us as far as he can and I stand by it.

A league leaders shield, a grand final and a challenge cup final? Challenging for playoff spots in every single year?

In other words, further than any other Castleford coach in the Super League era?

So go on then, who do you think is going to take Castleford any further than this? Which wizard out there will be able to take a shoestring budget and some of the worst training facilities in professional sports, and turn that into opportunities to win trophies?

The problem isn't Powell.

sirocco7
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by sirocco7 » 20 Jan 2020, 22:56

Squaddie86 wrote: 20 Jan 2020, 22:46
Mucky1978 wrote: 20 Jan 2020, 14:22 Said over 12 months ago Powell As took us as far as he can and I stand by it.

A league leaders shield, a grand final and a challenge cup final? Challenging for playoff spots in every single year?

In other words, further than any other Castleford coach in the Super League era?

So go on then, who do you think is going to take Castleford any further than this? Which wizard out there will be able to take a shoestring budget and some of the worst training facilities in professional sports, and turn that into opportunities to win trophies?

Like x

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 20 Jan 2020, 22:59

Thing is squaddie, we had the same training facilities in 2017.
So we can’t blame that.
I think we’ve become complacent, no 2 seasons are ever gonna be the same.
We hit the pinnacle in 2017, doubt in my life time we’ll see it again (hope am wrong) .
We’ve been spoilt with the rugby we played then, we all want it again, but with different playing personnel I just can’t see it happening.
Everything came together in 2017, on field off field everything, it just clicked.
I don’t think Powell is the problem, it’s lack of money to employ that next level player.
There will be games were we turn it on and look unstoppable but then possibly lose the next 3 games.
We just have to roll with it.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 20 Jan 2020, 23:13

The facilities may stop some players coming I don't know...we hamstrung ourselves giving long and lucrative contract extensions to players who Gale and Hardaker in particular made look better than they were and using up all or almost all of the salary cap... one of those players is so far removed from how he was playing before the new contract it's hard to believe it's the same player
Vince Lombardi

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 21 Jan 2020, 00:04

tigerfeat wrote: 20 Jan 2020, 23:13 The facilities may stop some players coming I don't know...we hamstrung ourselves giving long and lucrative contract extensions to players who Gale and Hardaker in particular made look better than they were and using up all or almost all of the salary cap... one of those players is so far removed from how he was playing before the new contract it's hard to believe it's the same player
Pretty accurate assessment.

But who is the player you are thinking of? there's a few to pick from.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 21 Jan 2020, 01:06

nottinghamtiger wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 19:16
the machine wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 18:30
Mysterio wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 12:05
the machine wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 11:01
Mysterio wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 10:54 If one thing is apparent from that squad, and given we’re bound to suffer in season injuries, I think it is absolutely vital we recruit at the very least one metre eating prop forward with a decent offload.
The prop situation worries me.
Doesnt even need the offload just one that will put his head down and run through a wall
Agree, a Lee Jewitt type would be more than acceptable - theres surely some props knocking about who are granite that can be coached.

Maybe Hepi is the man but I genuinely believe we need a real handful of an extra prop.

Unless the backs strengthening has been chosen over an extra forward

I’d rather swap Matautia for a prop.
Another jewitt definitely wouldn't go a amiss right now
I’d love to see us bring in Matty English from Huddersfield. Looks like an excellent player every time I’ve seen him and he’s only just turned 22.
same here mate but would shudds let him go?
jo brand is eddie warings love child

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 21 Jan 2020, 10:45

dare i say it ?? i thought Massey put in a good stint making more yards than most

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 22 Jan 2020, 08:54

Maybe he has but if we had investment and a BOD/ owner that would not milk the club DP would be able to look at better quality players.

We know what he is capable of, 2017, but sadly we know how the BOD/owner works. You can’t keep shopping for bargain basement and expect to compete at the business end of the season.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 22 Jan 2020, 09:11

100 grand paid for watts 70 or so grand paid for Joe Wardle who didn't last long 40-50 grand paid for Mata'utia whatever was paid for Richardson two big signings from the nrl Blair and Feki I also think I remember the owner and maybe Wells wanting to sign a marquee player but Powell didn't want to
I can't fault the effort to improve the team myself apart from Wattsy how many of the others will be seen as smart signings remains to be seen ...
Vince Lombardi

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 22 Jan 2020, 09:45

And like I said other day the the call was made to give long contract extensions using up a lot of the cap on Mcshane Massey Milner Mcmeeken Shenton and Eden that's the coaches call not the owner wether right or wrong
Vince Lombardi

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 22 Jan 2020, 10:37

tigerfeat wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 09:11 100 grand paid for watts 70 or so grand paid for Joe Wardle who didn't last long 40-50 grand paid for Mata'utia whatever was paid for Richardson two big signings from the nrl Blair and Feki I also think I remember the owner and maybe Wells wanting to sign a marquee player but Powell didn't want to
I can't fault the effort to improve the team myself apart from Wattsy how many of the others will be seen as smart signings remains to be seen ...
well said mate with crowds of 7-8 thousand we CAS punch above out weight how nice it is when we topple the big spenders IE Leeds Warrington and Wigan i will leave out Saints as our record is not as good against them , just over a week before super league KO and i for one cant wait

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 22 Jan 2020, 11:53

Trophies?

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 22 Jan 2020, 11:57

Latu would have been a nice addition If we’d manoeuvred ourselves...the players are out there. Nothing more frustrating than seeing the beauty of the 2017 team be dismantled and not built upon. Poor poor poor planning.
Audacter Et Sincere

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 22 Jan 2020, 11:57

Improving the team With a low budget isn’t easy as we know but what do the club do to generate more funds?

What changes have been made to increase things?

How many people.think we are top 4/5 material with this squad?

DP can only work with what he is given.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 22 Jan 2020, 12:24

When Steve Gill appointed Powell it was the start of a golden period crowds started to rise the team ended up playing some of the best rugby seen in super league we got players like Gale Solomona Mckmeeken players no one was interested in and a few others like that who made massive improvement after Gill and Powell signed them
Theres a different feel around the place now no question
Vince Lombardi

classycas57
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by classycas57 » 22 Jan 2020, 12:25

Lofthouse Tiger wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 11:57 Improving the team With a low budget isn’t easy as we know but what do the club do to generate more funds?

What changes have been made to increase things?

How many people.think we are top 4/5 material with this squad?

DP can only work with what he is given.
It was dp who signed this crew!

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 22 Jan 2020, 12:45

tigerfeat wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 12:24 When Steve Gill appointed Powell it was the start of a golden period crowds started to rise the team ended up playing some of the best rugby seen in super league we got players like Gale Solomona Mckmeeken players no one was interested in and a few others like that who made massive improvement after Gill and Powell signed them
Theres a different feel around the place now no question

I agree there’s a different feel about the place.
On Sunday there were more people on their phones and chatting than watching the game.
The rugby is slow and boring.
Yes we’ve been spoilt by one year 2017.

Can’t see us ever replicating that kind of rugby again.
Something as gone stale, maybe players or some are to big for their boots. Not sure now we will get back to them heady days of fast flowing rugby league.
I hope one day we do.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 22 Jan 2020, 12:51

We havnt recovered from what happened between mid September 2017 and March 12 2018
Vince Lombardi

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 22 Jan 2020, 13:16

The Firm wrote: 20 Jan 2020, 01:28 Whilst i realise you shouldn’t read too much into friendly results i’ve said all along that this is a bottom half of the table side. Nothing i’ve seen so far has convinced me otherwise. We have a small sprinkling of quality, an amount of guys who are past it, a large chunk of bang average and a few not good enoughs. We are a handful of injuries away from the bottom 3 or 4. A tough season awaits.
I've gone for a finishing position of 7th. I think we are hanging a lot of hope on the fitness of Millington,Cook and Moors to have relatively injury free seasons (the latter of these is still out). We can't expect Watts to do all the graft.

Rankin will do his best at full back but hasn't the pace to do what Dorn & Hardaker added that made us so threatening in attack.

At centres we have our captain in his mid 30s, Blair is injury prone and Pete M does make a few errors.

The half backs can only be useful if the pack can get on the front foot,and we appear to have too many back rowers still.

In a nutshell hoping for the best,preparing for a tough season.