Toronto Away June

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Toronto Away June

Post by Swagger » 17 Nov 2019, 15:01

Cas have done a packing ranging from
£1099 3* Hotel
To
£1199 5* Hotel

Includes
Transfers
3 nights
Match tickets
Transfers to game
Guided tour of Toronto
Option of a visit to Niagara Falls
Travel back night of 4th day

Full itinerary on Cas website.

A little pricey but sounds good. No need to worry about transfers etc....

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Toronto Away June

Post by braytontiger » 17 Nov 2019, 15:41

Swagger wrote: 17 Nov 2019, 15:01 Cas have done a packing ranging from
£1099 3* Hotel
To
£1199 5* Hotel

Includes
Transfers
3 nights
Match tickets
Transfers to game
Guided tour of Toronto
Option of a visit to Niagara Falls
Travel back night of 4th day

Full itinerary on Cas website.

A little pricey but sounds good. No need to worry about transfers etc....
May get the transfers in but not worth paying a extra £400 for. The club would have been far better doing a deal through hays travel who were advertising the same breaks for between £650-750. Nobody is going to book unless they are incredibly stupid or have more money than sense.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 17 Nov 2019, 16:01

My Wolfpack Tours look to be a decent option, although their prices have gone up since I checked a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.mywolfpacktour.co.uk/packages/

Nu Shooze
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nu Shooze » 17 Nov 2019, 18:18

derbystiger wrote: 17 Nov 2019, 16:01 My Wolfpack Tours look to be a decent option, although their prices have gone up since I checked a couple of weeks ago.

Ridiculously expensive when you add fights

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 17 Nov 2019, 19:21

Nu Shooze wrote: 17 Nov 2019, 18:18
derbystiger wrote: 17 Nov 2019, 16:01 My Wolfpack Tours look to be a decent option, although their prices have gone up since I checked a couple of weeks ago.

Ridiculously expensive when you add fights
I didn’t realise how much the prices had gone up since last time I checked. 3 nights has gone up from £389 to £579 :shock:

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Piquad1 » 18 Nov 2019, 05:40

Unfortunately too pricey for mwa simples

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 18 Nov 2019, 10:00

Think I will give it a miss this year unfortunately. Will go next year if they are still in Super League when the hype dies down.

Ronnie
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Ronnie » 18 Nov 2019, 14:56

I have booked flights direct and accommodation through Airbnb, 7 nights for £700.00 - 2 of us going.

Granted I need to get too and from Manchester Airport, but I know some others going on the same flight, so will be looking at a mini bus. Train from Toronto Airport is only £7 and ground is a 10 min train ride and 10 min walk apparently.

Appreciate it's still not cheap, but didn't think it was too bad for a week. Also you pay for the apartment in total, rather than pp, so if you get 4 people sharing, the price comes down.

Never been to Catalan and probably never get the chance to get a "pass" again :D

Hepworth7
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Hepworth7 » 18 Nov 2019, 22:22

Amazing how much my wife's interest in Rugby league has increased since the possibility of taking our summer holidays in Toronto has come up,haven't seen her this excited since she copped a close up glimpse of Mike Mcmeekins thighs. :shock:

fast hands
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by fast hands » 22 Nov 2019, 12:03

Seems like Cas are charging more for their package to Toronto, Rhinos, Waky, Hudds etc are going with another tour operator, seems Shearings got the Cas contract for travel to Canada, other clubs using the operator who do the Catalan and Aussie tours.

St Albans tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by St Albans tiger » 22 Nov 2019, 13:35

Personally i would look for tour companies based in Canada itself. Many are actually based in the UK and subcontract the packages out - so you pay twice the margin to two different travel companies.

I went to the world cup in Oz in 2017 and booked through an Oz based company under licence from the NRL. We had an amazing time and as part of our package went to a meet the coaches event/ sit down lunch in Melbourne three hours before the opening ceremony organised exclusively for the Australian market.

Our tickets for the opening quarter final and finals match were category A plus and our accommodation was right in the centre of town - where the match officials stayed.

The prices were very similar to the UK based companies but in my opinion offered a lot more - granted it took a bit more organising with flights and transfers - which we sourced independently but it was well worth the extra effort -

And lets be fair booking a flight and transfer is not exactly hard.

Digger Dave

Post by Digger Dave » 22 Nov 2019, 17:10

Ronnie wrote: 18 Nov 2019, 14:56 I have booked flights direct and accommodation through Airbnb, 7 nights for £700.00 - 2 of us going.

Granted I need to get too and from Manchester Airport, but I know some others going on the same flight, so will be looking at a mini bus. Train from Toronto Airport is only £7 and ground is a 10 min train ride and 10 min walk apparently.

Appreciate it's still not cheap, but didn't think it was too bad for a week. Also you pay for the apartment in total, rather than pp, so if you get 4 people sharing, the price comes down.

Never been to Catalan and probably never get the chance to get a "pass" again :D
The ground is a bit longer than a 10min walk from the city centre but a pleasant stroll down 1 road. You can also do airport to downtown by bus and subway for CAD3.25 (less than £2) if you're on a really tight budget (takes around 1hr compared to 25mins by train). Drinks in the beer garden at the ground are CAD8.50 (need to buy tokens, cards accepted) - not sure whether they're 400ml or a 'US' pint, have seen both measures quoted - and the locals are friendly and willing to have a chat. One thing I would recommend though if the games are getting sold out is to buy a ticket in advance through the TWP website you pay CAD4 fees but worth it to save the disappointment of going all that way and not being able to get in!

Walking around the city felt safe even late at night - in fact it was far busier at 11pm than 11am on a Saturday! One thing to remember that always gets me in N America is that local tax has to be added on to displayed prices and tipping is expected/almost obligatory. Plenty of choice for eating for all budgets as you'd expect, from hot dog stands, burger bars, supermarkets to up-market restaurants. I went earlier this year and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Squaddie86
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Squaddie86 » 23 Nov 2019, 13:58

I need to find out what's going on with work but I'll probably work in a 2 week family holiday for this game.

Last time i went was Toronto v York on Canada day, it was a great holiday.

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Swagger » 23 Nov 2019, 15:52

I think booking separate with Air BnB and skyscanner is the cheapest option so far for me. Then just get around Toronto by yourself on public transport. Definitely want a trip to Niagra Falls though.

Ronnie
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Ronnie » 24 Nov 2019, 01:24

Digger Dave wrote: 22 Nov 2019, 17:10
Ronnie wrote: 18 Nov 2019, 14:56 I have booked flights direct and accommodation through Airbnb, 7 nights for £700.00 - 2 of us going.

The ground is a bit longer than a 10min walk from the city centre but a pleasant stroll down 1 road. You can also do airport to downtown by bus and subway for CAD3.25 (less than £2) if you're on a really tight budget (takes around 1hr compared to 25mins by train). Drinks in the beer garden at the ground are CAD8.50 (need to buy tokens, cards accepted) - not sure whether they're 400ml or a 'US' pint, have seen both measures quoted - and the locals are friendly and willing to have a chat. One thing I would recommend though if the games are getting sold out is to buy a ticket in advance through the TWP website you pay CAD4 fees but worth it to save the disappointment of going all that way and not being able to get in!

Walking around the city felt safe even late at night - in fact it was far busier at 11pm than 11am on a Saturday! One thing to remember that always gets me in N America is that local tax has to be added on to displayed prices and tipping is expected/almost obligatory. Plenty of choice for eating for all budgets as you'd expect, from hot dog stands, burger bars, supermarkets to up-market restaurants. I went earlier this year and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Thanks for the tips. Yes was told about the ground by the guy I booked the digs through, as I have mentioned a 10 min train ride and then 10 min walk. I wonder if Cas will be selling tickets like a normal away game?. Never been to Catalan so not sure how that worked with match day tickets.

Casmania
Verified

Post by Casmania » 24 Nov 2019, 16:18

fast hands wrote: 22 Nov 2019, 12:03 Seems like Cas are charging more for their package to Toronto, Rhinos, Waky, Hudds etc are going with another tour operator, seems Shearings got the Cas contract for travel to Canada, other clubs using the operator who do the Catalan and Aussie tours.
Definitely the case, dearer than other compatible offers.
I have used CST and can vouch for the service they provide.

MY CLUB. MY CAS

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 25 Nov 2019, 10:51

KLM are doing some good deals for flights, very reasonable 😎😎😎

Digger Dave

Post by Digger Dave » 25 Nov 2019, 17:05

Ronnie wrote: 24 Nov 2019, 01:24 Thanks for the tips. Yes was told about the ground by the guy I booked the digs through, as I have mentioned a 10 min train ride and then 10 min walk. I wonder if Cas will be selling tickets like a normal away game?. Never been to Catalan so not sure how that worked with match day tickets.
There's a tram line runs right past the ground along King St (512 from memory) with a couple of stops within 50yds or so of the entrance - public transport tickets last for around 2 hours from 1st swiping in to allow multiple hops. If you like craft beer get off at the Atlantic Ave stop and walk down there away from King St West, turn left onto Liberty St and you'll soon arrive at the 3 Brewers which is popular with both home and away fans pre and post match.

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Swagger » 01 Apr 2020, 19:02

So the City of Toronto have confirmed no major gatherings until at least July....
So as we all expected this game is pretty much called off.

Glad I didn't book. Hope anyone who booked can get money back.

North Leeds Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by North Leeds Tiger » 02 Apr 2020, 12:08

Thats me knackered then. We have booked to make it a Two weeks holiday as well as taking in the game.