Dennis Hartley

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Dennis Hartley

Post by SuffolkTiger » 14 Nov 2019, 23:19

Terribly sad news. A true giant in every sense.

A cornerstone of our heritage and one of the few who are known to thousands across the globe purely by their christian name.

Thank you big man. Rest in peace.

Condolences to family and friends. You should be incredibly proud of him.

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 15 Nov 2019, 09:08

Dennis was an absolute gentleman, not old enough to see him play but have heard and read plenty about his exploits in the field. I doubt the club (and Hunslet before us) would have been as successful without him.

Legend is a word that gets used far too easily nowadays....But he earned that title.

R.I.P Big Den.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 15 Nov 2019, 10:47

Very sad, not old enough to have seen him play for cas but I've been told he was a good un.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 15 Nov 2019, 12:27

Heard stories from my Dad, who is no shrinking violet in his own right, who says Dennis was a real Demon on the field and a fearsome prop forward that resulted in nobody taking liberties from
Castleford.

For that, he has my ultimate respect in his passing, despite never seeing him play.

I hope his family and children gain solace in all of these tremendous stories about their
Father/family member and celebrate his life rather than be sad.

Big respect Dennis. Have a blast up there mate.
Audacter Et Sincere

ron
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by ron » 15 Nov 2019, 12:39

Dennis was the missing piece in the jigsaw. We had been playing superb rugby with lots of flair (a bit like 2017) but missed out on the big trophies. Dennis provided the steel and backbone to complement the flair and the cup wins followed. Having said that he wasn’t short of nowse and flair himself so fitted in perfectly with the side at that time. Happy days!

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 15 Nov 2019, 16:14

Gone but never forgotten. He left his mark in more ways than one, one of the greats. RIP Dennis.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 15 Nov 2019, 23:07

Too young to have seen him play but heard plenty of great things about him. RIP Dennis.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 15 Nov 2019, 23:14

Never saw him play, but I sat next to him in the stand on the open day in 2017. You could almost see the memories flooding back.

Ken Smith
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Ken Smith » 16 Nov 2019, 09:41

I seem to remember a story about Dennis related by a Leeds front row forward (could have been Mick Clarke) who was pummelled by Dennis all afternoon and on returning home complained to his wife that at tea-time all he got was jam sandwiches, and to rub salt into his wounds when he looked at the jam jar on the table noticed it was Hartley jam. He made some unprintable comments about that being the last straw. But those that knew Dennis acknowledged that off the field he was not only a gentle giant but very intelligent also. One of 5 players from Cas to make the Great Britain squad along with former Cas player Roger Millward the last time that GB won a test series over there. Happy memories of a great Cas team which won the Challenge Cup two years in succession. RIP Dennis and thanks for the memories.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 16 Nov 2019, 10:24

Dennis scored a try in that deciding test in 1970 memorable one it was too ...
That was a rate side Mal ,Roger Millward , Frank Myler ,Tony Fisher ...
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Ken Smith
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Ken Smith » 16 Nov 2019, 15:30

Nice touch that the Great Britain team were all wearing black armbands in memory of Dennis today.

the happy hooker9
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Doing Spins, Backdrops and kicks on the dance floor

Post by the happy hooker9 » 16 Nov 2019, 17:16

Anyone who wants an insight to 'D' and who never saw him
play needs to get hold of his book 'Big Den'...typical extract ...after Heppy joined Leeds played Cas at Headingley whereas Dennis broke his nose,knocked out 2 teeth after game Heppy said blimey Dennis we've been on tour together won challenge cup I look a right mess...to which Dennis smiled and said I HATE LEEDS
Legend...pleasure to have seen him in Black n Amber

the happy hooker9
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Doing Spins, Backdrops and kicks on the dance floor

Post by the happy hooker9 » 16 Nov 2019, 17:17

Anyone who wants an insight to 'D' and who never saw him
play needs to get hold of his book 'Big Den'...typical extract ...after Heppy joined Leeds played Cas at Headingley whereas Dennis broke his nose,knocked out 2 teeth after game Heppy said blimey Dennis we've been on tour together won challenge cup I look a right mess...to which Dennis smiled and said I HATE LEEDS
Legend...pleasure to have seen him in Black n Amber

p.s.
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by p.s. » 16 Nov 2019, 21:36

was there the first time he played for Cas. In those days the front of the main stand was standing. A bloke used to come to wind up the locals, I think he was a Fev fan. When the team ran out he shouted out" £4.750 for a tub of lard" Some tub, some lard! Incidentally a very young Roger Milward used to stand nearby with an old player called Abe Terry in those years.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 16 Nov 2019, 23:12

p.s. wrote: 16 Nov 2019, 21:36 was there the first time he played for Cas. In those days the front of the main stand was standing. A bloke used to come to wind up the locals, I think he was a Fev fan. When the team ran out he shouted out" £4.750 for a tub of lard" Some tub, some lard! Incidentally a very young Roger Milward used to stand nearby with an old player called Abe Terry in those years.
Abe Terry was another prop cut from similar cloth to Dennis, not quite an enforcer of the same calibre but a fine ball player.

RichardH

Post by RichardH » 17 Nov 2019, 09:25

On behalf of my family please accept our sincere thanks for all your kind messages about our Dad, Dennis Hartley. The messages and tributes have been both amazing and emotional to read. We are proud beyond words of Dad. Kind regards, Richard

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 17 Nov 2019, 09:40

i am sure your DAD thought the same of you Richard and the rest of his family

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 17 Nov 2019, 09:41

i am sure your DAD thought the same of you Richard and the rest of his family

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 18 Nov 2019, 08:25

i was having a drink last night talking to an EX CAS player Dennis name came up he said CAS were playing a touring NZ side Dennis gave him a suicide ball he was hit straight away by by a NZ prop forward as he was receiving attention laid out on the floor Dennis touched him and said get up they will think you are soft . grand lad was Dennis

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 18 Nov 2019, 22:22

RichardH wrote: 17 Nov 2019, 09:25 On behalf of my family please accept our sincere thanks for all your kind messages about our Dad, Dennis Hartley. The messages and tributes have been both amazing and emotional to read. We are proud beyond words of Dad. Kind regards, Richard
I'm sure we all hope that the many posts have eased your pain a little.

Your Dad's name will shine forever in the club's history. He was that special.

Take care.