test side

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
User avatar
Andrew6666
Danny Orr
Posts: 1444
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:13 pm

Re: test side

Post by Andrew6666 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:55 am

Mysterio wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:21 pm
Shaun Wane please. Anyone decent but Not Daryl.
Agree, Wane seems the logical choice that isn't in a job. I personally think it needs a full time role.

heritage1926
Danny Orr
Posts: 1441
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:27 pm

Re: test side

Post by heritage1926 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:16 am

Selfishly, I'm glad Trueman didn't play. He comes back fresh and not only that, but I feel Hodgson would of stifled him anyway from dummy half. Apart from maybe Daz Clark, can't think really think of anyone who can come back from that tour, with any credibility.

Hastings, Widdop, Hill, McGillvary massive flops. Zero impact from the likes of Philbin and Hughes. Can't see them getting an international shirt again. Especially with the up and coming talent we now have knocking about SL.

On another note - Warrington have just been given a glimpse of how Widdop has declined over the last 2 year, after another shoulder dislocation. Lost count how many times this is now.

Johnny A
Sean Rudder
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun May 12, 2019 8:52 pm

Re: test side

Post by Johnny A » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:06 pm

Very good piece from Dave Woods on BBC Sport Rugby League web page regarding 'Great Britain'.
Takes care not to single out any players by name.
Can't be easy to comment on a game and not state the blindingly-obvious.

mdean
Junior Moors
Posts: 840
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:21 pm
Twitter: Sacked social media
Location: Leicestershire
Contact:

Re: test side

Post by mdean » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:47 pm

I read that piece, sadly, whether times have changed, whether the sabbatical of the GB badge but it just didn't matter to almost anyone.

Timing was awful against the RU World Cup, squad was a mess, Australia didn't get on board - nothing went well, nothing was gained by anyone, other than Tonga and PNG in reality and I wouldn't deny them their moment in the sun.

I think in reality the international game is limited, if I was being kind anyway. On that basis adding another concept to something already ailing wasn't going to do much. RL lacks credibility at international level and support for non-club based events is a problem. Hence we don't sell out the CC final.
To compare codes for a moment, Lions in RU is special, because the national teams are competitive and there is a thriving national competition above club. Which means the Lions are the best of the best.
Hindsight is 20:20 of course, but I got round to thinking even if this squad had tonked every team on this tour - you'd still have to ask yourself - so what?!

User avatar
lurcher
Adrian Vowles
Posts: 9264
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:25 pm
Location: bridlington

Re: test side

Post by lurcher » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:31 pm

heritage1926 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:16 am
Selfishly, I'm glad Trueman didn't play. He comes back fresh and not only that, but I feel Hodgson would of stifled him anyway from dummy half. Apart from maybe Daz Clark, can't think really think of anyone who can come back from that tour, with any credibility.
massive flops. Zero impact from the likes of Philbin and Hughes. Can't see them getting an international shirt again. Especially
Hastings, Widdop, Hill, McGillvary with the up and coming talent we now have knocking about SL.

On another note - Warrington have just been given a glimpse of how Widdop has declined over the last 2 year, after another shoulder dislocation. Lost count how many times this is now.
think thats a bit hard on gerry when he got no service due to not having a specialist centre inside him. did ok with the few chances he got.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

Mysterio
Luke Gale
Posts: 3824
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:32 pm
Contact:

Re: test side

Post by Mysterio » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:16 pm

We're back to the eternal worry of whether the game itself is, well....dying ?
Audacter Et Sincere

Tamworth Tiger
Michael Eagar
Posts: 4075
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:29 pm

Re: test side

Post by Tamworth Tiger » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:22 pm

:dance:
lurcher wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:31 pm
heritage1926 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:16 am
Selfishly, I'm glad Trueman didn't play. He comes back fresh and not only that, but I feel Hodgson would of stifled him anyway from dummy half. Apart from maybe Daz Clark, can't think really think of anyone who can come back from that tour, with any credibility.
massive flops. Zero impact from the likes of Philbin and Hughes. Can't see them getting an international shirt again. Especially
Hastings, Widdop, Hill, McGillvary with the up and coming talent we now have knocking about SL.

On another note - Warrington have just been given a glimpse of how Widdop has declined over the last 2 year, after another shoulder dislocation. Lost count how many times this is now.
think thats a bit hard on gerry when he got no service due to not having a specialist centre inside him. did ok with the few chances he got.
I agree with that
Image

Tamworth Tiger
Michael Eagar
Posts: 4075
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:29 pm

Re: test side

Post by Tamworth Tiger » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:24 pm

Mysterio wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:16 pm
We're back to the eternal worry of whether the game itself is, well....dying ?
According to Wayne Bennett the game is getting stronger and to be fair I think it is in the Southern Hemisphere
Image

gateman
Danny Orr
Posts: 2862
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:40 pm

Re: test side

Post by gateman » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:10 pm

whether the game is getting stronger or weaker i still love our game , if the powers that be give Bennett another contract they ought to give their heads a shake, Noble Banana and Bennett have made the same mistakes playing people out of position we have tried it and in most of the cases it does not work

User avatar
Flat Capper
Alan Hardisty
Posts: 14381
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:10 am
Location: Where ever I lay my fat

Re: test side

Post by Flat Capper » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:29 pm

Whilst Bennet has had an incredibly successful coaching career, it is built on a very simple game plan; five drives and a kick, play the game in their 20 and force them to make mistakes.

This was obvious throughout the tour and in particular, the kicks on the last tackle that were far too deep and never challenged by us. Even whe we did get there, we didn't challenge for the ball, preferring to let the defender catch it and then hope he makes a mistake.

Very dull rugby and bound to fail if you cannot defend or carry the ball out of your own half - the rest of Bennets basic tactics, no errors.
Image
Spreading the Cas gene pool

Sharlotiger
Danny Orr
Posts: 1162
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: WAKEFIELD

Re: test side

Post by Sharlotiger » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:36 pm

Flat Capper wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:29 pm
Whilst Bennet has had an incredibly successful coaching career, it is built on a very simple game plan; five drives and a kick, play the game in their 20 and force them to make mistakes.

This was obvious throughout the tour and in particular, the kicks on the last tackle that were far too deep and never challenged by us. Even whe we did get there, we didn't challenge for the ball, preferring to let the defender catch it and then hope he makes a mistake.

Very dull rugby and bound to fail if you cannot defend or carry the ball out of your own half - the rest of Bennets basic tactics, no errors.
Unfortunately these are the general tactics of modern rugby league which will eventually drive fans away. Powell adopted the very same boring style last season and I am just hoping we will try to play a bit more expansive next season as last year was just so hard to watch.

User avatar
mart0042
Brad Davis
Posts: 5375
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 3:06 pm
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Re: test side

Post by mart0042 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:48 am

When you use your wingers a props, we can't expect them to chase each kick fresh legged.

gateman
Danny Orr
Posts: 2862
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:40 pm

Re: test side

Post by gateman » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:13 am

it would be nice to have a touring side not only playing internationals but doing the club rounds many happy memories of seeing the New Zealand and Australians at Weldon road i can remember watching PG at Feath we know there would have been some fringe players on the field but it would give more players chance to have a go at them to see how they would cope

Sharlotiger
Danny Orr
Posts: 1162
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: WAKEFIELD

Re: test side

Post by Sharlotiger » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:18 pm

gateman wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:13 am
it would be nice to have a touring side not only playing internationals but doing the club rounds many happy memories of seeing the New Zealand and Australians at Weldon road i can remember watching PG at Feath we know there would have been some fringe players on the field but it would give more players chance to have a go at them to see how they would cope
Unfortunately proper tours had to come to an end once we adopted summer rugby, used to be fantastic seeing the touring sides down at Weldon Road.

Ken Smith
Kirk Dixon
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:44 am

Re: test side

Post by Ken Smith » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:52 am

Especially when we beat the Aussies 13-12 in 1963 and 22-3 in 1967.

Post Reply