Page 11 of 15

Re: Jamie Ellis

Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:09 pm
by nottinghamtiger
braytontiger wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:58 pm
nottinghamtiger wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:39 pm
braytontiger wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:57 pm
I cannot believe anyone can make a case to think that Ryan brierley could be a good signing.
He’s no longer a young player that can be improved regardless of how good of a coach DP is he’s not a magician. The lads had more clubs than tiger woods,played under numerous coaches at all levels of the game and not one as improved him.
I’d see absolutely 0 value in signing a player that in all likelihood would need us having a glut of injuries to see him get anywhere near our 17.
I don’t think anyone is suggesting he will come in and demand a spot in the first-choice 17. But if Ellis is gone, we need someone to fill his space in the squad.
As for your argument that he is too old to improve, let’s remember how old Luke Gale was before he started playing at his best. He scraped around the lower leagues, played in relegated teams (both London and Bradford) before coming to Cas and improving under Powell. Likewise, I’d suggest Luke Dorn was at his best in his second spell at the club. Sometimes, all it takes is a marginal gain and, more importantly, playing in a team and structure that suits the attributes of the player, for things to come together and make a previously average player look like a good one.
I’ve watched the lad and followed his career since he joined our club as a skinny 17 year old. He’s built his career on been an opportunist support player. I’ve never seen him take hold of a game and take a team around the park. There is a reason why clubs keep moving him on and it’s probably because he can’t fit into a structured role if he could of he’d have been the next Danny McGuire.
Maybe, but I’m willing to give him a shot if he comes on a short-term contract and doesn’t take up much of the cap.
I think his main problem, so far, is the one you point out. He’s just been a support player. That’s not enough for a half-back or a full back in the modern game. Can he develop other attributes? Maybe, maybe not.

Re: Jamie Ellis

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:29 am
by lurcher
braytontiger wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:58 pm
nottinghamtiger wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:39 pm
braytontiger wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:57 pm
I cannot believe anyone can make a case to think that Ryan brierley could be a good signing.
He’s no longer a young player that can be improved regardless of how good of a coach DP is he’s not a magician. The lads had more clubs than tiger woods,played under numerous coaches at all levels of the game and not one as improved him.
I’d see absolutely 0 value in signing a player that in all likelihood would need us having a glut of injuries to see him get anywhere near our 17.
I don’t think anyone is suggesting he will come in and demand a spot in the first-choice 17. But if Ellis is gone, we need someone to fill his space in the squad.
As for your argument that he is too old to improve, let’s remember how old Luke Gale was before he started playing at his best. He scraped around the lower leagues, played in relegated teams (both London and Bradford) before coming to Cas and improving under Powell. Likewise, I’d suggest Luke Dorn was at his best in his second spell at the club. Sometimes, all it takes is a marginal gain and, more importantly, playing in a team and structure that suits the attributes of the player, for things to come together and make a previously average player look like a good one.
I’ve watched the lad and followed his career since he joined our club as a skinny 17 year old. He’s built his career on been an opportunist support player. I’ve never seen him take hold of a game and take a team around the park. There is a reason why clubs keep moving him on and it’s probably because he can’t fit into a structured role if he could of he’d have been the next Danny McGuire.
not often (if ever) i disagree with you brayton mate but i do on this. i too watched the skinny 17 year old and whilst he was a good support player his main attribute for me was his organisational skills. if you watched him closely he was setting moves up 3 plays in advance and was quite brilliant at it. trouble was when he was given a chance with the 1st team it would be half a game on the wing which didn't do him any favours. you will know as well as i do that at this time daz clark was in the same team and myself and a lot of ex cas players thought brierly was the best prospect. i was gutted to see him go and fair enough it looks like he made the wrong moves but i think under powell he could still make an impression in super league.

Re: Jamie Ellis

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:36 am
by braytontiger
lurcher wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:29 am
braytontiger wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:58 pm
nottinghamtiger wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:39 pm
braytontiger wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:57 pm
I cannot believe anyone can make a case to think that Ryan brierley could be a good signing.
He’s no longer a young player that can be improved regardless of how good of a coach DP is he’s not a magician. The lads had more clubs than tiger woods,played under numerous coaches at all levels of the game and not one as improved him.
I’d see absolutely 0 value in signing a player that in all likelihood would need us having a glut of injuries to see him get anywhere near our 17.
I don’t think anyone is suggesting he will come in and demand a spot in the first-choice 17. But if Ellis is gone, we need someone to fill his space in the squad.
As for your argument that he is too old to improve, let’s remember how old Luke Gale was before he started playing at his best. He scraped around the lower leagues, played in relegated teams (both London and Bradford) before coming to Cas and improving under Powell. Likewise, I’d suggest Luke Dorn was at his best in his second spell at the club. Sometimes, all it takes is a marginal gain and, more importantly, playing in a team and structure that suits the attributes of the player, for things to come together and make a previously average player look like a good one.
I’ve watched the lad and followed his career since he joined our club as a skinny 17 year old. He’s built his career on been an opportunist support player. I’ve never seen him take hold of a game and take a team around the park. There is a reason why clubs keep moving him on and it’s probably because he can’t fit into a structured role if he could of he’d have been the next Danny McGuire.
not often (if ever) i disagree with you brayton mate but i do on this. i too watched the skinny 17 year old and whilst he was a good support player his main attribute for me was his organisational skills. if you watched him closely he was setting moves up 3 plays in advance and was quite brilliant at it. trouble was when he was given a chance with the 1st team it would be half a game on the wing which didn't do him any favours. you will know as well as i do that at this time daz clark was in the same team and myself and a lot of ex cas players thought brierly was the best prospect. i was gutted to see him go and fair enough it looks like he made the wrong moves but i think under powell he could still make an impression in super league.
Hey it’s all about opinions and I respect other views. It was a cracking U19s team we had then and as it’s turned out it’s produced some quality players at both super league and championship.

Re: Jamie Ellis

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:48 am
by tigerfeat
Amazing how time passes I still thought Ryan was early 20s ...

Re: Jamie Ellis

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:18 pm
by Flat Capper
There's a thread on RB in the runour sectoin so back to Ellis, can anyone confirm he has gone?

Re: Jamie Ellis

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:13 pm
by JIN JER
According to Oli Holmes he was the "most boring housemate he's ever had."

Re: Jamie Ellis

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:15 pm
by heritage1926
Done deal. Set to be announced in next 24 hours.

Re: Jamie Ellis

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:15 pm
by jackknife
Say what you want about Brierley but hes scored 184 tries in 199 games and yes that was mostly in championship but still shows he knows how to get over the line.

So id swap a 27year old Brierley for a 30year old Jamie Ellis

Re: Jamie Ellis

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:19 pm
by stevieblunder
Let's see which, if any Superleague clubs go for Brierley.

Toronto don't want him.

Can't see Wigan, Warrington, St Helens or Hull making a move.

Can't believe for second he's on Powell's wish list for Xmas.

Championship clubs?

Re: Jamie Ellis

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:17 pm
by North Leeds Tiger
He’s brought in as back up, we won’t be signing any big name to sit in the stands as back up. He fits the bill

Re: Jamie Ellis

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:55 am
by CasRus
Brierley is not good enough for SL anymore, needs to go championship - plenty of good kids coming through so better to invest in them rather than someone who would be a SL fringe player

Re: Jamie Ellis

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:50 am
by Lofthouse Tiger
This

Re: Jamie Ellis

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:11 am
by tigerfeat
CasRus wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:55 am
Brierley is not good enough for SL anymore, needs to go championship - plenty of good kids coming through so better to invest in them rather than someone who would be a SL fringe player
Ideally you want your back up half back to be a up and coming youngster your bringing through someone like Mclelland at Leeds would be ideal...

Re: Jamie Ellis

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:40 pm
by derbystiger
tigerfeat wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:11 am
CasRus wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:55 am
Brierley is not good enough for SL anymore, needs to go championship - plenty of good kids coming through so better to invest in them rather than someone who would be a SL fringe player
Ideally you want your back up half back to be a up and coming youngster your bringing through someone like Mclelland at Leeds would be ideal...
Or someone like young Jake Sweeting...........Oh, wait, we offer our youngsters insulting contracts so they have to move elsewhere

Re: Jamie Ellis

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:13 pm
by Flat Capper
Genuinely, has someone put an automatic link in the ellis thread that takes you to the Brierly one?