George Griffin

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Juscas
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: George Griffin

Post by Juscas » 15 Oct 2019, 18:36

I’m not a massive Milner fan but I really don’t see how griffin is in anyway better.if he is a squad player taking Clarksons role then fine He will do a job and plug a gap.but if he is a starting player we’re going backwards faster than I thought.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 15 Oct 2019, 19:38

Juscas wrote: 15 Oct 2019, 18:36 I’m not a massive Milner fan but I really don’t see how griffin is in anyway better.if he is a squad player taking Clarksons role then fine He will do a job and plug a gap.but if he is a starting player we’re going backwards faster than I thought.
My opinion is that Milner is not big enough to play as a modern day 13 and not quick enough or smart enough to play as a modern day 13.

I’ve been very impressed whenever I’ve seen Griffin play this season and think he will really add to the side. I think he has with rate of Oliver Holmes with a size similar to Mike McMeeken.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 15 Oct 2019, 19:58

Ian Watson really rates Griffin and in his comments after the GF said he would be a big hole to fill.

I know we like to bash the club but if a coach like Watson rates him, and let’s be fair, he’s done an awesome job like Powell at milking everything he can from the squad, then that’s a good endorsement to me.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 15 Oct 2019, 20:00

I think it’s fair to say Griffin has been better than McMeeken, Sene-Lafeo, Holmes or Milner. On this year’s form, he walks into our pack.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 15 Oct 2019, 20:05

Griffins stats speak for themselves anybody that watched him in play offs as to be pleased he's coming to cas
I wasn't excited when we signed him sometimes you have to hold your hands up and say you were wrong
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 15 Oct 2019, 20:20

Rankin
Feki
Blair
Shenton
Eden
Trueman
Richardson
Watts
Mcshane
Smith
Griffin
Mckmeeken
Holmes

Mata'utia or Cook
Millington
Sene lafao
Milner or Massey

Looks a fair team that tbf
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Oldcasman
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Oldcasman » 15 Oct 2019, 22:14

nottinghamtiger wrote: 15 Oct 2019, 20:00 I think it’s fair to say Griffin has been better than McMeeken, Sene-Lafeo, Holmes or Milner. On this year’s form, he walks into our pack.
You have seen a different griffin to me to say he is better than the above, decent tackler admitted but imo that’s all can’t see him in the starting 13 good back up but that’s all.

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 16 Oct 2019, 01:19

Good enough to get to a rand final? Stand out defender. Big minutes. And finds his front going forward. Might not be “better” but does the important stuff. It’s like money ball get the people with the best averages of what you need for there position they will get you results. Eg wingers trys (obviously) props = meter/tackles. Loose = qptb

The Firm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by The Firm » 16 Oct 2019, 06:54

Griffin is solid without being spectacular. He’ll join the other average Joes in the squad like Massey, Milner, Hepi, Holmes, Cook, Clare, Olpherts, Matautia, Smith, Rankin, Ellis etc.

Every team needs them but we have plenty of them.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 16 Oct 2019, 12:41

The Firm wrote: 16 Oct 2019, 06:54 Griffin is solid without being spectacular. He’ll join the other average Joes in the squad like Massey, Milner, Hepi, Holmes, Cook, Clare, Olpherts, Matautia, Smith, Rankin, Ellis etc.

Every team needs them but we have plenty of them.
Spot on. I get the feeling Cas are putting all their eggs in one basket, that being the hands of Danny Richardson.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

The Fox
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by The Fox » 17 Oct 2019, 09:04

SWISS TONY!! wrote: 15 Oct 2019, 17:21 Its Milner that may be surplus if the team if fully fit. Personally I'd put griffen in the left second row position hes played at Salford and have Holmes in the 13 role we play. He defends really strongly when players are coming straight at him and can do big minutes and is not afraid to take the ball in. Massey can play that role or prop and id have him on bench with cook! I see Smith being our starting prop next year which leaves millington on the bench too. That leaves mcmeekin and jessie fir the other spots and as jessie normally plays left youd expect him on the bench too. Good options to have! So for start of season if players are fit I think its be
Watts
Mcshane
Smith
Griffen
Mcmeekin
Holmes

Cook
Millington
JSL
Massey

Plenty of back up

When/if fit moors will come into that as should foster.
Where does that leave Milner? Unless Powell feels hes a better option on bench than Massey
It's a decent theory, until you realise that Griffin played at right 2nd row for Salford (Josh Jones played left) then your reckoning doesn't quite fit. As someone mentioned - Griffin is a decent defender, but has limited ball skills and isn't the fastest. I tend to agree with others who have suggested that he won't be in the starting 13 (fills the Chris Clarkson role).

SWISS TONY!!
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SWISS TONY!! » 17 Oct 2019, 12:19

The Fox wrote: 17 Oct 2019, 09:04
SWISS TONY!! wrote: 15 Oct 2019, 17:21 Its Milner that may be surplus if the team if fully fit. Personally I'd put griffen in the left second row position hes played at Salford and have Holmes in the 13 role we play. He defends really strongly when players are coming straight at him and can do big minutes and is not afraid to take the ball in. Massey can play that role or prop and id have him on bench with cook! I see Smith being our starting prop next year which leaves millington on the bench too. That leaves mcmeekin and jessie fir the other spots and as jessie normally plays left youd expect him on the bench too. Good options to have! So for start of season if players are fit I think its be
Watts
Mcshane
Smith
Griffen
Mcmeekin
Holmes

Cook
Millington
JSL
Massey

Plenty of back up

When/if fit moors will come into that as should foster.
Where does that leave Milner? Unless Powell feels hes a better option on bench than Massey
It's a decent theory, until you realise that Griffin played at right 2nd row for Salford (Josh Jones played left) then your reckoning doesn't quite fit. As someone mentioned - Griffin is a decent defender, but has limited ball skills and isn't the fastest. I tend to agree with others who have suggested that he won't be in the starting 13 (fills the Chris Clarkson role).
Mmm well spotted! Be a good kick up the backside to mcmeekin then.
Long Live The Monkey Munch!!!

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 18 Oct 2019, 09:50

Wasn't a big Griffin fan but his playoff matches show his ability.

It's good that some people deem massey and milner surplus because it means we have a big capable squad with players battling to start. Isn't that what we want?

stevieblunder
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stevieblunder » 18 Oct 2019, 10:13

Massey comes in for a load of criticism on this forum.

I'm amazed that so many people are privy to the instructions that Powell gives to him before games.!!!!

I have no idea.

When fit Massey is ALWAYS in the 17.
The majority of the time in the starting 13.

He's like a tin of Ronseal.
He does what It says on the tin.!!!!!

Give Powell some credit.
He's a pretty good coach.

Give Massey some credit.
If he's good enough in Powell's view, he's good enough for me.
I remember Peter Small

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Swagger » 18 Oct 2019, 10:24

I have Massey in my 17...but I would move him back to prop. With the issues with Moors and Millington as well as Clarkson and Maher leaving we may need him there.

Jesse
Holmes
McMeekan
Milner
Griffin
Foster
Smith
Hepi

Can cover back row 3 spots....

Watts
Cook
Massey
Smith
Millington
Moors
Hepi

From row options

The Fox
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by The Fox » 18 Oct 2019, 12:37

Swagger wrote: 18 Oct 2019, 10:24 I have Massey in my 17...but I would move him back to prop. With the issues with Moors and Millington as well as Clarkson and Maher leaving we may need him there.

Jesse
Holmes
McMeekan
Milner
Griffin
Foster
Smith
Hepi

Can cover back row 3 spots....

Watts
Cook
Massey
Smith
Millington
Moors
Hepi

From row options
He plays as a prop!!

The terminology used currently is "middle-unit" which is basically the 8, 10 & 13. We do not (and haven't for a number of years) utilise a loose forward (and neither do most other clubs either).

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 18 Oct 2019, 13:38

I’ve said it many times before, but I’d love to see us play with a more traditional 13 rather than as a third prop.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 18 Oct 2019, 13:43

derbystiger wrote: 18 Oct 2019, 13:38 I’ve said it many times before, but I’d love to see us play with a more traditional 13 rather than as a third prop.
Which could and should of been Milner, but he has no rugby brain.

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Swagger » 18 Oct 2019, 13:58

Griffin could easily become our 13. He can pass, tackle and run the ball. Also does long minutes.

SWISS TONY!!
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SWISS TONY!! » 18 Oct 2019, 14:11

For me it was always millington who should be our 13 but maybe time is catching up with him to be able to do big minutes on a regular basis. But the role seemed perfect for him. Is Daniel Smith the answer?

That's why I always thought westerman could have been good for us.

A daft radical thought but could watts play that role for us? He likes to be a ball handler at times but it would mean signing a bloody good prop to cover the no8
Long Live The Monkey Munch!!!