2020 Squad

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
KB80
League One Player
League One Player

2020 Squad

Post by KB80 » 27 Sep 2019, 11:58

Looking at our roster for next year with an absolutely ruthless head on I'd say (obviously we don't know wages and terms so likely cost is a best guess!):

Leaving

Gale
Minikin
Egodu
Aston
Maher

Completely happy with (in terms of quality, quota, and likely cost)

Watts
Trueman
Smith
Mcmeeken
Jesse
Cook

Mainly happy with (ie as above but out of form and/or players i expect to come good)

Blair
Holmes
Mcshane

Decent squad players (quality, quota and likely cost considered)

Claire
O Neil
Massey
Turner
Rankin

Major concerns (regards injuries, age, contact length, value)

Shenton
Moors
Millington
Foster
Milner
Matuiti

Not good enough/poor value squad players
Ellis
Clarkson
Eden

Good signings (quality, quota and value)
Feki
Richardson
Griffin

Other signings
Hepi (unproven)
Olpherts (don't rate him)

Personally considering the above I'd hope we can move on (appreciate contacted players aren't going to go unless moving to another club, retired on medical grounds or played off and released):

-Ellis
-Eden
-Foster or Matuiti (preferably based on quota spot and I suspect he is on decent whack)
-Millington (preferable) or Moors
-Not retain Clarkson.

The left over Gale fee/salary, quota and salary for the above could then be used on:

Quality full back
Good Young Centre (if PM goes)
Good winger (if Eden goes)
Good Prop

Obviously I'd hope that Wells could track these players down.

Personally:

I'd look to the NRL for the full back (unless a fee could temp Salford to part with Evalds) - id use a big chunk of the money on this, we need to have it right for the start of next season.

I'd monitor the situation at Wigan in terms of the recovery of their injured wingers they simply have too many if all are fit (Manfredi especially if he recovers fully)

Leeds have 3 very good young centre's and Hurrell. Could do worse than young Alex Sutcliffe (loan deal if nothing else)

I'd be tempted to try for Matty English at Huddersfield (with a fee, test whether Davey has had enough as has been suggested).

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: 2020 Squad

Post by nottinghamtiger » 27 Sep 2019, 12:26

If Gale goes, I'm not sure about Richardson. I'll back Powell's judgement, but I think we'd have two half backs who both have tendency to go missing. I can forgive it in Trueman because of his age - he's not yet at the level where he puts in consistently good performances, but not many half backs are at 20. Richardson is 23 - still young for a half-back, but an age where he should be standing out in a lower-league game, but didn't when he went on loan. However, he's one of the best goal-kickers around, and we shouldn't underestimate the importance of that. There's also the point that you don't catch other teams when all you do is sign the players they don't deem to be good enough for their own team. I know people will point out the likes of Gale, but we need to remember he was much much younger when Leeds released him.
We desperately need a full-back. As I've said for a long time, Evalds should be our top target and we should be using the money we get for Gale (again, if he leaves) to try and tempt Salford into selling. However, they will want to build on this season and have already lost the core of their team, so that might not be easy! Similarly, I was keen for us to sign Alex Walker, but it appears we either didn't make an offer or Wakefield have beaten us to him.
If we go out and sign Aidan Sezer and Niall Evalds, I'll be optimistic for next year. If we end up sticking with Rankin at full-back and bringing in Richardson, I'll be worried. These are the two key positions that need resolving properly next year (again, assuming Gale is no longer with us).
In terms of the rest of the squad, Clare and Ellis can leave if they can find another club willing to take them. Minikin I'd be happy to keep as a winger, but he's determined he's a centre so he can go and chase that dream elsewhere (as he clearly doesn't have the size or defensive positioning to play at centre). Clarkson can go too.
In terms of Millington and Moors, they are the best people to decide if they are capable of doing another year. Indeed, they might be uncertain themselves. I doubt either of them will retire though - they are unlikely to get a longer contract anywhere else and not many people can afford to give up a year's salary when they don't have another job to go to that pays as well.
All of the stuff aside from the full back and half back is tinkering with the edges though. The best teams have top quality in these key positions. You only have to look at Salford to see what can be achieved with quality players in these positions and a bunch of hard-working average players elsewhere.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 27 Sep 2019, 12:30

As someone said before you need your 9 to be running from dummy half
Id be looking to change that in 2020 get us on the front foot
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 27 Sep 2019, 12:33

KB80 wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 11:58 Obviously I'd hope that Wells could track these players down.
I doubt it. The only good player he has tracked down so far has been someone who had been transfer listed, lives nearby and considers Cas to be his hometown club.
I'll be honest - Jon Wells said we should judge him at the end of this year. He didn't think we needed to strengthen the squad between 2018 and 2019. He was very, very wrong. I don't think he's brought anything whatsoever to the club. Or recruitment and retention was far better before he joined than it has been with his involvement. Time for him to leave.

classycas57
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by classycas57 » 27 Sep 2019, 12:45

There is alot of true ideas and facts floated round I hope the club are just as keen to rectify it all?????

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 27 Sep 2019, 13:53

Sadly, I cannot see the Club investing anything signifcant on top of what we already know and that is a worry.

My main worries are half-back although even Sky were reporting the Gale/Richardson scenario as a "done deal" so fingers crossed.

Of late, Rankin appears to have been playing for a contract but we do need an out-and-out, proven fullback.

No idea what the crack is with Millo & Moors but if only one disappears, we need two matching replacements for the pack.

The centers need loking at closely and whilst I accpet we've signed some outside backs, I don't want to rely on the likes of Clare as first choice wingers.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

Nobody
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nobody » 27 Sep 2019, 14:36

Think we'll be there or there about again next season, but still not good enough for that final part if the season. Sadly I don't think the club will not invest in top class players that give us the extra bit we need to compete with the bigger clubs. Think apart from Richardson if true, are signings are probably complete for 2020.
🐯 COYF!

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 27 Sep 2019, 14:44

If we are to improve and start playing rugby we can actually enjoy watching again we need top calibre players at 1, 7 and 9 or it will be just another season of plenty of grunt but little guile.

classycas57
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by classycas57 » 27 Sep 2019, 15:42

Feki,hepi,olpherts,griffin,Richardson. Still need full back and another halfback.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 27 Sep 2019, 16:40

Nobody wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 14:36 Think we'll be there or there about again next season, but still not good enough for that final part if the season. Sadly I don't think the club will not invest in top class players that give us the extra bit we need to compete with the bigger clubs. Think apart from Richardson if true, are signings are probably complete for 2020.
Told ya. Its complete unless one of 2 things happen. We sell a player or someone retires.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 27 Sep 2019, 16:45

Not sure how season ticket sales are going or how gale going will have a negative effect
But I would hope at least some of the surplus expected from selling gale will be used to improve the first team
And not just on his replacement
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

stuey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stuey » 27 Sep 2019, 16:53

We have spent most of this season with very little attacking threat with Gale being absent. Can not see it changing next season when he is gone for good.

KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Post by KB80 » 27 Sep 2019, 17:50

I get the comments about Gale, but I think Richardson could potentially be a far better attacking option than Rankin (with no attacking full back), Ellis, Aston or Matuiti who have been used in our stuttering attack this year.

I think if Richardson has signed a full back would be huge.

Quality fullback (with a bit of pace ideally)
Feki
Blair
Shenton
Eden (or ideally replacement winger)
Trueman
Richardson
Watts
Mcshane
Smith/new Prop
Mcmeeken
Jesse
Massey/Smith

Milner
Moors/Millington
Cook
Griffin

With options/cover in the backs as follows:
Rankin (FB/HB)
Claire, Olpherts (W)
New player (C) - ideally with a bit of pace.

Throw in a decent pre-season without nonsense of this year and without changing positions of players every few games and we would find some attacking prowess again.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 27 Sep 2019, 18:07

I’m half hoping Toronto are promoted. Pretty sure they’d take some of our players and give us some room on the cap. They can have the likes of Clare, Holmes, Milner, Foster and Ellis.
Might not be that easy for them though - they are already spending above the cap and using the marquee rule, so they’ll have to ship players out before they bring anyone in, and that’s not easy when your paying them double what they are worth.
Last edited by nottinghamtiger on 27 Sep 2019, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 27 Sep 2019, 18:07

If last night did not make it clear we are short of a top class half back then I don't know what will.
We have little threat of spark/pace in the middle third so defences read us easily and we cannot create over laps. Mcshane offers little from dummy half, Trueman lacks pace and power against sturdy defenses and we have no other actual creative pivot at 7, 9, 13 to help him out.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 28 Sep 2019, 11:54

RonnieGibbs'forearm wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 18:07 If last night did not make it clear we are short of a top class half back then I don't know what will.
We have little threat of spark/pace in the middle third so defences read us easily and we cannot create over laps. Mcshane offers little from dummy half, Trueman lacks pace and power against sturdy defenses and we have no other actual creative pivot at 7, 9, 13 to help him out.
This.

Has Daryl’s judgement been wavering with signings...
Audacter Et Sincere

betts21
League One Player
League One Player

Post by betts21 » 30 Sep 2019, 20:21

I think rankin playing behind Richardson and truey next year will hopefully having them pull some gaps and spaces for him hopefully a fully fit macca and oneil to rotate and get us some threat around the ruck and then hopefully we will get some decent beall out wide.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 30 Sep 2019, 20:56

will we see Moors again ?? he suffered a very bad injury and is getting no younger, Millington as been one of our best signings but years of rugby are taking there toll, a top class prop to go with Watts would be on my shopping list

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 30 Sep 2019, 21:17

gateman wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 20:56 will we see Moors again ?? he suffered a very bad injury and is getting no younger, Millington as been one of our best signings but years of rugby are taking there toll, a top class prop to go with Watts would be on my shopping list
Take it as you will but Moors said his recovery will be complete this year and he will be ready to begin pre season with the rest of the first team. That was after the Hull FC game.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 01 Oct 2019, 08:41

gateman wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 20:56 will we see Moors again ?? he suffered a very bad injury and is getting no younger, Millington as been one of our best signings but years of rugby are taking there toll, a top class prop to go with Watts would be on my shopping list
Moors said he was doing everything he could to get back fit and ready for the start of the new season.