2020 Squad

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Tyke123
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: 2020 Squad

Post by Tyke123 » 19 Nov 2019, 13:46

Full back is the least problems we have to be honest.
We really did struggle with the forwards last year.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 19 Nov 2019, 13:58

Tyke123 wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 13:46
Tyke123 wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 09:28
tigerfeat wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 09:17 I'd have us 3rd if nothing happens injury wise to the two half -backs
Even with a relatively injury free season the lost punching power of the mentioned forwards, a centre whats lost his cutting edge with age, and a new (but promising) half back what has to settle in, its a fight for 5th for me.
I do hope I'm proved wrong and 3rd would be exceptional in my eyes.
I think the problem we’ve got is that not many of our players would get in the first choice starting 17 at Wigan or St Helens.
Full backs (Rankin and Mata’utia) - no, Coote and Hardaker are better.
Wingers (Eden and Feki) - no, Makinson, Grace, Marshall, Burgess and French are better. I guess that’s maybe a bit harsh on Feki, he might be a superstar in SL, but he’ll have to be good to be better than the above.
Centres (Blair and Shenton) - no, Percival, Naiqama and Gildart are better. Maybe Wigan would take Blair over Hankinson.
Halves (Trueman and Richardson) - I think Fages and Lomax are both better than our two, as is Hastings at Wigan. I don’t doubt Wigan would take Trueman though.

In the forwards, I don’t see our pack as a whole as better than either Wigan’s or Saints’s. Liam Watts would walk into either team, beyond that I think McMeekan and Sene-Lafeo are the only ones who would be in Wigan or Saints’ first choice 17. Maybe that’s harsh on some of our players, but Wigan’s kids seem to have the better of our more experienced forwards last year.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 19 Nov 2019, 14:11

i wouldnt say burgess was better than feki and i dont think it matters who would get in what squad Powell gets the team playing as a group
On our forwards for next season there will be a massive fight for starting places anybody not upping there game will be stood down
I agree on Gigot id look to him also before he gets taken by french kick and clap,unless weve got a player lined up to come in as full back which wouldnt surprise me
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Oldcasman
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Oldcasman » 19 Nov 2019, 14:18

mart0042 wrote: 15 Nov 2019, 10:52
GarryP wrote: 14 Nov 2019, 18:40 I hope Junior comes through pre season and gets fit. He had a bad injury and was in a bad way for weeks. It would be good if he could have an influence in a few games for us. Last season either way?
Most players knowing its their last hurrah play exceptionally well. Then we clamber for them to get a new contract and it all goes bits up.

I'd like to see a clear plan from the club and let us know they are retiring and we can give them a season long send off. Benny deserved one and it would have been nice for him.
Benny wasn’t on the field long enough to deserve a season long send off most fans were glad to see the back of him

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 19 Nov 2019, 14:57

Oldcasman wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 14:18
GarryP wrote: 14 Nov 2019, 18:40 I hope Junior comes through pre season and gets fit. He had a bad injury and was in a bad way for weeks. It would be good if he could have an influence in a few games for us. Last season either way?
Most players knowing its their last hurrah play exceptionally well. Then we clamber for them to get a new contract and it all goes bits up.

I'd like to see a clear plan from the club and let us know they are retiring and we can give them a season long send off. Benny deserved one and it would have been nice for him.
Benny wasn’t on the field long enough to deserve a season long send off most fans were glad to see the back of him
Very true.
Still don’t know the full story about his spat with adz either.
I would guess once you fall out with adz, macca and the rest of the squad begin to reassess too..
Audacter Et Sincere

Andrew6666
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Andrew6666 » 19 Nov 2019, 15:01

Tyke123 wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 13:46 Full back is the least problems we have to be honest.
Agree, we seem light in the front row (bar Watts). Millington and Moores didn't have the greatest of seasons last year and seem to be coming to the end of their careers sadly. We do seem very heavy on 2nd rowers that we try to force into the front row - Jesse, Foster, and loose forward Massey.

I would like to see another big forward brought in.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 19 Nov 2019, 15:03

Big go forward forward and a full back then.

Wouldn’t be impossible if some cute business was conducted.

It won’t be.
Audacter Et Sincere

The Firm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by The Firm » 19 Nov 2019, 16:37

Andrew6666 wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 15:01
Tyke123 wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 13:46 Full back is the least problems we have to be honest.
Agree, we seem light in the front row (bar Watts). Millington and Moores didn't have the greatest of seasons last year and seem to be coming to the end of their careers sadly. We do seem very heavy on 2nd rowers that we try to force into the front row - Jesse, Foster, and loose forward Massey.

100% agree. Out of our front row Watts stands out a mile, the others less so. Millington, Moors & Cook have a combined age of virtually a 100 and it’s starting to show, Hepi is unproven and the likes of Smith & Massey workmanlike but average. We need at least one more who can make an impact otherwise mid-table mediocrity looms at best. Talk of top 3 is a fantasy to be honest.

lidds
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by lidds » 19 Nov 2019, 16:45

The Firm wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 16:37

100% agree. Out of our front row Watts stands out a mile, the others less so. Millington, Moors & Cook have a combined age of virtually a 100 and it’s starting to show, Hepi is unproven and the likes of Smith & Massey workmanlike but average. We need at least one more who can make an impact otherwise mid-table mediocrity looms at best. Talk of top 3 is a fantasy to be honest.
Mid table at best? think that's a extremely pessimistic view

Compared with what we started last season with I would say we are in a better position at FB, I like rankin and hopefully a full pre season at FB will get him prepped.

Wing we have certainly improved with adding Feki,

Although Moors and Millo are ageing, there is a fair bit of competition there, We still have one of the best props in the league, and griffin gets through some real work, Hepi in the back row with foster back will liven things up too.

HB really exciting, rather than young Jake having to do all the work he finally has a starting half to work with with a V good kicking game.

The Firm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by The Firm » 19 Nov 2019, 17:49

lidds wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 16:45
The Firm wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 16:37

Mid table at best? think that's a extremely pessimistic view

Compared with what we started last season with I would say we are in a better position at FB, I like rankin and hopefully a full pre season at FB will get him prepped.

Wing we have certainly improved with adding Feki,

Although Moors and Millo are ageing, there is a fair bit of competition there, We still have one of the best props in the league, and griffin gets through some real work, Hepi in the back row with foster back will liven things up too.

HB really exciting, rather than young Jake having to do all the work he finally has a starting half to work with with a V good kicking game.
Sorry, don’t get mad fuss about Richardson. He’s alright but not a patch on the guy he is ultimately replacing at this point in his career. He will likely improve as time goes on but i’m not expecting that much from him this year. Feki is a decent signing but Blair needs improve a thousand fold, Shenton is heading downhill like a skier in the alps and Eden is,well, Eden. Olpherts is a waste of cap space type if signing. Rocks and diamonds. Our main strength is the backrow where we are stacked but we can’t play them all. A lot depends on McShane being the 2017 & 2018 version and not this last seasons.

dude
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by dude » 19 Nov 2019, 19:40

The guy Richardson is replacing hasnt played for 2 years. So in reality Richardson is replacing aston, Ellis, matautia and rankin who all played in the halves and he is miles better than them. We made playoffs twice without gale and now we have a half back who is miles better than the rest of them

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 19 Nov 2019, 21:17

dude wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 19:40 The guy Richardson is replacing hasnt played for 2 years. So in reality Richardson is replacing aston, Ellis, matautia and rankin who all played in the halves and he is miles better than them. We made playoffs twice without gale and now we have a half back who is miles better than the rest of them
well said mate thats my thoughts

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 20 Nov 2019, 10:55

Mysterio wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 14:57
Oldcasman wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 14:18

Very true.
Still don’t know the full story about his spat with adz either.
I would guess once you fall out with adz, macca and the rest of the squad begin to reassess too..
I would have liked to have said thanks, at least for the quality he brought on his day. The drop goal and his performance at Leeds away, to say the least.

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 20 Nov 2019, 18:29

wow, 3rd?!

is the competition that poor or are one or two posters making a late claim for the Forum Optimist of the Year 2019?

The bookmakers that I have seen have us 6th which is about right imo

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 20 Nov 2019, 18:43

Salford were one of the bookmakers favourites to finish in the bottom four last season what they think means zilch
Vince Lombardi

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 20 Nov 2019, 18:54

if we still have Ellis on the books why not try him at prop it will not be the first half back that as done the transition at CAS only a few of us will remember Kenny Pye

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 20 Nov 2019, 20:28

alftupper wrote: 20 Nov 2019, 18:29 wow, 3rd?!

is the competition that poor or are one or two posters making a late claim for the Forum Optimist of the Year 2019?

Optimism isn’t what this Forum is known for. I remember all the ridiculous doom and gloom about the team being relegation candidates well into last season.
I haven’t seen anything sparkling happening in the rest of Superleague to suggest that we can’t have a realistic tilt at the top 4.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 20 Nov 2019, 20:41

Injury's are our main problem last year we were devastated by them lots of players pulling out because the were injured during training besides those in matches , can it be that they are training too hard or is it the conditioning is not right ?? when you look at our squad i should say we are stronger than last year and should with any luck at all be up to gaining a top five spot

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 20 Nov 2019, 21:24

alftupper wrote: 20 Nov 2019, 18:29 wow, 3rd?!

The thing with the bookies is that their odds are often based on the number of bets that are likely to be made. This is massively influenced by the number of supporters a club has. For example, there are far more Leeds supporters than Cas ones, so it’s likely more people will back Leeds to win the GF than Cas. The odds therefore don’t truly reflect the mathematical probability of it happening, they reflect the number of people who are likely to bet on that probability.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 20 Nov 2019, 21:48

In terms of rugby league the bookies are mostly clueless as the summer of 2017 showed when cas were head and shoulders above the rest and still getting start on the handicaps against the likes of Leeds and Wigan well into the season when they wised up a bit
Until then most weeks were a liecence to print some money if you backed cas
Vince Lombardi