At what point...

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
smarty_tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

At what point...

Post by smarty_tiger » 19 Sep 2019, 21:41

Do Cas fans accept it has been a good season for the tigers, given the amount of injuries we have had?

Was the Warrington game it?

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: At what point...

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 19 Sep 2019, 21:44

Wait til the end of the season. It ain’t over yet folks 😎😎😎

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 19 Sep 2019, 21:51

I thought making it to the play offs given the start we had made it a good season.

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Swagger » 19 Sep 2019, 21:56

It's been a great season with our injury situation so win or lose next week we should be happy.

Issue is.....
If we play Salford next week, if we lose we will be gutted as it's a game we can win.
If we lose at Wigan next week then it's expected.

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 19 Sep 2019, 22:29

I think it’s been solid, a solid top half team. Classic Arsenal win nothing but get in to Europe (playoffs)but ultimately an also-ran.

Problem is watching us a lot you see that we’ve been crap at the sharp end. Today we got in 2 metres from touch and off a kick and in general we have been a drop off or centre second pass from the PTB team.

Happy we have these problems rather than the ones of the early 2000’s is have hated to be one of the 20 points club last week.

Fryston Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Fryston Tiger » 19 Sep 2019, 22:36

Think when you strip away some of the points, the over-riding factor is the frustration of the season. The games we should've won, the ones we ought to have...but didn't turn up for.
It's been cudda, wudda, shudda in 2019...but we go on. Although I bet most of us aren't sure which Cas will turn up next week.....let's hope we start to gain a little bit of momentum every week now.

thedogvinnie
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by thedogvinnie » 19 Sep 2019, 22:41

smarty_tiger wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 21:41 Do Cas fans accept it has been a good season for the tigers, given the amount of injuries we have had?

Was the Warrington game it?
WE CAN WIN IT FROM 5th

DARE TO DREAM

KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Post by KB80 » 20 Sep 2019, 01:12

Personally i think tonight was the tipping point. Whatever happens now I consider it a fairly good season - all things considered (Injuries mainly).

Tonight despite playing with 16 players and having 9 of our squad with numbers 1-17 missing we dumped a near full strengh (big spending) Warrington out of the comp. Hopefully we can keep that type of effort and cause a shock or two yet to make it an extremely good season!

The injury situation has made any fluency and consistency difficult. But, maybe as a consequence, our defensive structure has improved dramatically as the season has gone on (remember the leaky right edge earlier in the year!). Hopefully we can carry that into the rest of the play offs but also into next season.

Looking to next year, despite some apprehension about our recruitment. Im starting to think our starting 17 will be much stronger than the team which started this year (even before it got ravenged by injuries).

Rankin
Feki
Blair
Shenton
Eden
Trueman
Gale or (more likely) replacement
Watts
Mcshane
Millington
Mcmeeken
Holmes
Massey

Milner
Jesse
Moors
Cook

Is a better 17 than we had available for round 1 this year with at least 4 positions strengthened (FB, W, C, HB).

Add in a stronger squad including Matutia, Claire, Olpherts, Smith, Foster, Griffin, Hepi, 1 or 2 new signings (If Gale goes)

I'm certainly feeling much more positive than I was this time last week!

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 20 Sep 2019, 01:55

KB80 wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 01:12 Personally i think tonight was the tipping point. Whatever happens now I consider it a fairly good season - all things considered (Injuries mainly).

Tonight despite playing with 16 players and having 9 of our squad with numbers 1-17 missing we dumped a near full strengh (big spending) Warrington out of the comp. Hopefully we can keep that type of effort and cause a shock or two yet to make it an extremely good season!

The injury situation has made any fluency and consistency difficult. But, maybe as a consequence, our defensive structure has improved dramatically as the season has gone on (remember the leaky right edge earlier in the year!). Hopefully we can carry that into the rest of the play offs but also into next season.

Looking to next year, despite some apprehension about our recruitment. Im starting to think our starting 17 will be much stronger than the team which started this year (even before it got ravenged by injuries).

Rankin
Feki
Blair
Shenton
Eden
Trueman
Watts
Mcshane
Millington
Mcmeeken
Holmes
Massey

Milner
Jesse
Moors
Cook

Is a better 17 than we had available for round 1 this year with at least 4 positions strengthened (FB, W, C, HB).

Add in a stronger squad including Matutia, Claire, Olpherts, Smith, Foster, Griffin, Hepi, 1 or 2 new signings (If Gale goes)

Sums it up pretty well for me

bane73
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by bane73 » 20 Sep 2019, 07:08

Anyone who moans needs to give their head a shake. We've played 2 years without our first choice half back And still finished in the playoffs, twice. With the money we get from gale jumping ship, good riddance, we need to invest in a scrum half and, maybe, a utility back.
what doesn't kill me simply makes me...stranger.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 20 Sep 2019, 07:12

KB80 wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 01:12 Personally i think tonight was the tipping point. Whatever happens now I consider it a fairly good season - all things considered (Injuries mainly).

Rankin
Feki
Blair
Shenton
Eden
Trueman
Watts
Mcshane
Millington
Mcmeeken
Holmes
Massey

Milner
Jesse
Moors
Cook

Great post KB. Brilliant summary which echoes my view of where we are.

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 20 Sep 2019, 07:31

Got to take your hats off for that win away win last night. Tough ask with a patched up side and they really stood up well.
Millo, after those two shockers knocking on, actually played pretty good, despite me writing him off last week.
Rankin was very good and caused most threat. Trueman was superb in defence. Without Watts I dread to think where we would have ended up too.
Still totally unconvinced by Blair and Matautia I'm afraid. I know some will not like that but I think they are average at best. Happy to eat my words next season but I will be massively shocked if we see much better than what they have showed so far.
Overall, difficult season. Got to be seen as a success after bring ravaged with injuries and struggling for form. Must get a quality 7 otherwise next year will be a similar battle.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 20 Sep 2019, 07:41

Rankin
Feki
Blair
Shenton
Eden
Trueman
Watts
Mcshane
Millington
Mcmeeken
Holmes
Massey

Milner
Jesse
Moors
Cook

Agree mate that side would want some beating next year personally I'd have Foster and Mata'utia in the 17
The only question for me is Gale and if he goes who will replace him
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 20 Sep 2019, 08:03

I guess it depends on your perspective.
There’s an argument we’ve declined from 2018, when we finished fourth with more points.
There’s an argument we’ve declined massively from 2017, when we finished 1st with far more points.
As others have said though, we’ve done it tough with injuries. But there have been some poor retention and recruitment decisions too.
One thing’s for sure though - win our next three games and it’ll go down as a historic season for the club.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 20 Sep 2019, 09:08

RonnieGibbs'forearm wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 07:31 Got to take your hats off for that win away win last night. Tough ask with a patched up side and they really stood up well.
Millo, after those two shockers knocking on, actually played pretty good, despite me writing him off last week.
Rankin was very good and caused most threat. Trueman was superb in defence. Without Watts I dread to think where we would have ended up too.
Still totally unconvinced by Blair and Matautia I'm afraid. I know some will not like that but I think they are average at best. Happy to eat my words next season but I will be massively shocked if we see much better than what they have showed so far.
Overall, difficult season. Got to be seen as a success after bring ravaged with injuries and struggling for form. Must get a quality 7 otherwise next year will be a similar battle.
I think one of the issues with Pete is that we use him as a utility so he isn’t making his mark anywhere
Just my opinion but I thought he was superb at half back last night and key to the win. I’ll rewatch later and check whether I’m bigging him up too much