Perspective

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Perspective

Post by SuffolkTiger » 12 Sep 2019, 23:39

The game wasn't an easy watch but considering we:

- were missing Gale, Moors, Shenton & Eden
- have no pace at all in the back line (and I mean none at all)
- were up against the most street wise team in the league
- were away from home..

I thought we did well first half and should have at least been level at the break.

Second half was us on a bad day.

To win at their place you have to fight fire with fire before trying to play football. We are weak at that. We get bullied.

We could still shock Salford or Wire but the general consensus as we shuffled out of the Piedome into the autumn night was enough is enough this season, let's put it to bed and have a long preseason.

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Perspective

Post by Swagger » 13 Sep 2019, 06:33

SuffolkTiger wrote:The game wasn't an easy watch but considering we:

- were away from home..

I thought we did well first half and should have at least been level at the break.

To win at their place you have to fight fire with fire before trying to play football. We are weak at that. We get bullied.

We could still shock Salford or Wire but the general consensus as we shuffled out of the Piedome into the autumn night was enough is enough this season, let's put it to bed and have a long preseason.
Gale Moors Shenton Eden Milner Foster

These 6 for me would still make 17.

Akcas87
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Akcas87 » 13 Sep 2019, 07:50

[quote="SuffolkTiger"]The game wasn't an easy watch but considering we:

- were away from home..

- those 4 you named have been injury prone for last 2 seasons
- no pace has been a problem since Solomona snaked off
- our experienced pack that got battered by a bunch kids so to say that Wigan’s kids are more street wise then our pack is a worry
- away from home is something we always struggle with

I do agree though that enough is enough this year

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 13 Sep 2019, 08:02

SuffolkTiger wrote: - were missing Gale, Moors, Shenton & Eden
I’m not sure pinning our hopes on that list gives us much comfort.

Gale has spent the best part of 2 years not playing the game so big question mark over him. Moors a 33 year old potential cripple who is well past his best anyway. Shenton a 33 year old crab again well past his best who now looks to be struggling with persistent injury. Eden, an out and out finisher but what’s he going to finish?

Combine this with our uninspiring signings so far then 2020 equals mid table mediocrity.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 13 Sep 2019, 08:24

SuffolkTiger wrote:I thought we did well first half and should have at least been level at the break.

The first half we dominated possession, 57% to their 43%, had more sets in better field position, carried more ball, made more metres, but yet again, like Saints, we let a soft try in and it all goes down hill.

This year we came from 20-0 and 24-4 down to beat Wigan at home, yet when we play away, we don't seem mentally strong enough to fight when we go behind, it's always been the same.

The second half was just painful, we were caught so flat with the ball, one man rugby, not once did we put in any sort of tactical kick to turn them around, Hardaker had a field day returning every ball Ellis put down his throat, they made Minikin and Clare work like dogs last night. The rugby side of it was disgraceful to put it mildy.

We are a soft side, who go hiding. Partington had everyone riled up and not one person did anything, it took till the 60th minute for Jesse to finally lose it and then 70th when Cook shot out and went looking for him, other than that, we lost another psychological and physical battle and if we do make the play offs, do end up beating Salford, at some point we'll get Wigan again and history will repeat itself once more.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 13 Sep 2019, 08:45

secound rower wrote:
SuffolkTiger wrote:The game wasn't an easy watch but considering we:

- were away from home..

Good points and pray gale comes back next year playing is best or things could get a lot worse
Morning flow.

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 13 Sep 2019, 17:11

heritage1926 wrote:
SuffolkTiger wrote:I thought we did well first half and should have at least been level at the break.

The first half we dominated possession, 57% to their 43%, had more sets in better field position, carried more ball, made more metres, but yet again, like Saints, we let a soft try in and it all goes down hill.

This year we came from 20-0 and 24-4 down to beat Wigan at home, yet when we play away, we don't seem mentally strong enough to fight when we go behind, it's always been the same.

The second half was just painful, we were caught so flat with the ball, one man rugby, not once did we put in any sort of tactical kick to turn them around, Hardaker had a field day returning every ball Ellis put down his throat, they made Minikin and Clare work like dogs last night. The rugby side of it was disgraceful to put it mildy.

We are a soft side, who go hiding. Partington had everyone riled up and not one person did anything, it took till the 60th minute for Jesse to finally lose it and then 70th when Cook shot out and went looking for him, other than that, we lost another psychological and physical battle and if we do make the play offs, do end up beating Salford, at some point we'll get Wigan again and history will repeat itself once more.
Pretty much nailed it mate.

betts21
League One Player
League One Player

Post by betts21 » 13 Sep 2019, 19:41

RonnieGibbs'forearm wrote:
heritage1926 wrote:

Pretty much nailed it mate.
Absolutely bang on powell went on that this season was built on mental attitude.
It's been dire all season we have no natural leaders no one willing to do everything it takes to win.
All there players last night won there battles against there opposite number its happened time and time again this year we need to grow some nuts and take it to the other team as a team we are way too soft.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 13 Sep 2019, 20:55

Wigan are still heavily influenced by what Wane hammered into them.

What I saw last night was the difference between a team coached by an aggressive forward and a team coached by a half back (3 half backs even).

We’re a bit soft at times,

betts21
League One Player
League One Player

Post by betts21 » 13 Sep 2019, 22:11

SuffolkTiger wrote:Wigan are still heavily influenced by what Wane hammered into them.

What I saw last night was the difference between a team coached by an aggressive forward and a team coached by a half back (3 half backs even).

We’re a bit soft at times,
You wouldn't know we were coached by half backs with our attack this year.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 13 Sep 2019, 22:19

We finished 5th in an injury ravaged season. Reading most of the above you’d think we’ve been crap.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 13 Sep 2019, 22:50

cogito ergo sum wrote:We finished 5th in an injury ravaged season. Reading most of the above you’d think we’ve been crap.
Not really. More about that we have a track record of not being able to match sides with an agressive and very physical approach. We often seem to back down when sides with lots of big fat lads really get into us.

It's similar to our mental frailties in big games - and Saints away......

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 14 Sep 2019, 00:47

Bern saying this for a while but our use of quota spots at present looks awful.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 14 Sep 2019, 01:08

SuffolkTiger wrote:
cogito ergo sum wrote:We finished 5th in an injury ravaged season. Reading most of the above you’d think we’ve been crap.
Not really. More about that we have a track record of not being able to match sides with an agressive and very physical approach. We often seem to back down when sides with lots of big fat lads really get into us.

It's similar to our mental frailties in big games - and Saints away......
True to an extent, but every team shows frailties in big games, including Saints who have bottled it time and again in recent years. I would exclude Wigan if they win at Old Trafford and probably Leeds too.