Season Tickets 2020

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Season Tickets 2020

Post by nottinghamtiger » 10 Sep 2019, 19:36

The club have announced that season tickets for next season are now on sale, with prices frozen on last year.
Hate to say it, but this will be my first year for many seasons that I won’t be having a season ticket. I’ve always had one, even though I know it’s probably not the best thing financially, as I’ll always miss games through holidays and other family events etc. However, I’ve always had one anyway as I know how important season ticket sales are to the club.
But this year has just been a step too far for me to justify spending so much more money than I need to. It will be far better for me to just pay on the gate for each game I can attend. The number of games I’ve missed due to fixture changes that are only announced with a couple of weeks’ notice just doesn’t make a season ticket anywhere near worth having. The Leeds game was when I considered not having a season ticket, and the Hull game was the final straw for me. Now we’ve had a game moved at five days’ notice (I know it’s an away game in this case, BUT it shows that Sky have the power to do this and it is just as likely to be a home game next year) and that has just confirmed my decision.
My days of having a season ticket are over until we get some stability in terms of fixture dates. I’ll attend games when I can, and to be honest that is dependent on whether or not I’m going to endure someone banging the living daylights out of a drum for 80minutes (I know some people like it, but I find the drum infuriating).

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Season Tickets 2020

Post by SuffolkTiger » 10 Sep 2019, 19:47

Understand your point of view notts.

It’s a problem that the game as a whole has to face into.

So many clubs appear to be financially unsound with what has happened to Bradford Bulls over the last few years being a stark lesson for all clubs and fans.

Not sure what the answer is but, as discussed on the forum many times, our club has got a lot to do in terms of improving all marketing streams in order to generate more income - which may have to include more flexible season ticket options.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 10 Sep 2019, 19:51

SuffolkTiger wrote:Understand your point of view notts.

It’s a problem that the game as a whole has to face into.

So many clubs appear to be financially unsound with what has happened to Bradford Bulls over the last few years should be a stark lesson for all clubs and fans.

Not sure what the answer is but, as discussed on the forum many times, our club has got a lot to do in terms of improving all marketing streams in order to generate more income - which may have to include more flexible season ticket options.
Agreed. Wouldn’t it be great if they offered a mini season ticket, whereby holders could attend 7 games of their choice through the season (maybe for the price of 6, or similar)?
I suspect that if they did, though, the number of people buying full season tickets would plummet given the fixture changes this year. However, I think we’re going to see a massive drop in 2020 regardless.
And the worry is that even games I can attend on a Friday night, I now have a choice between:
1. Finish work, spend hours crawling up the A1, watch the game, travel back down the A1 (usually with a massive diversion around Doncaster due to roadworks) and be knackered the next day.
2. Finish work, go home and watch the game with a beer.
I know full well that the temptation to take the second option will be strong.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 10 Sep 2019, 20:05

Absolutely.

In the south there also seems to be an increase in the number of sports bars that are getting their act together and cashing in what you describe. Went to one in Cambridge last week which was really good and makes the A1 even less appealing.....

I love being at grounds for a game but, as recreational time habits change, our sport has to evolve in line with them - or face the consequences....

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 10 Sep 2019, 20:09

I usually miss a couple of games due to holidays - but been retired I can get to most games. I will still get a season ticket as it is still value for money. You can miss 4 games and still be in front.
Thursdays and Fridays night games suit me because it free's up my weekend. I can appreciate a lot of people don't have it as easy as myself and think the mini-season-ticket is a great idea. I would pitch it at 9 games for the price of seven.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 10 Sep 2019, 20:13

Suspect every fan of every club faces a similar dilemma. We are effectively owned by Sky, who can do what they see fit. This is not unique to Super League, every popular sport is dependent on media cash. I suspect our club is sympathetic with our fans, but he who pays the piper etc.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 10 Sep 2019, 20:17

cogito ergo sum wrote:Suspect every fan of every club faces a similar dilemma. We are effectively owned by Sky, who can do what they see fit. This is not unique to Super League, every popular sport is dependent on media cash. I suspect our club is sympathetic with our fans, but he who pays the piper etc.
I’m not too sure, to be honest.
Every time our club tris to blame Sky for fixture changes, I’m reminded that our club actually voted in favour of giving Sky the power to change fixtures at such short notice. It wasn’t part of the initial deal - it was something that the club agreed to subsequently for a short-term financial gain. Unfortunately that might turn into a long-term loss with a fall in season ticket sales and attendances at individual games.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 10 Sep 2019, 20:20

Tigerade wrote:I usually miss a couple of games due to holidays - but been retired I can get to most games. I will still get a season ticket as it is still value for money. You can miss 4 games and still be in front.
Thursdays and Fridays night games suit me because it free's up my weekend. I can appreciate a lot of people don't have it as easy as myself and think the mini-season-ticket is a great idea. I would pitch it at 9 games for the price of seven.
Same here £ 167 quid for all first team games all second team games all under 18 games and all women games great value
Obviously for people not retired and who live outside cas it's a different tale I understand that
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

castigers2010
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by castigers2010 » 10 Sep 2019, 21:08

nottinghamtiger wrote:The club have announced that season tickets for next season are now on sale, with prices frozen on last year.
Hate to say it, but this will be my first year for many seasons that I won’t be having a season ticket. I’ve always had one, even though I know it’s probably not the best thing financially, as I’ll always miss games through holidays and other family events etc. However, I’ve always had one anyway as I know how important season ticket sales are to the club.
But this year has just been a step too far for me to justify spending so much more money than I need to. It will be far better for me to just pay on the gate for each game I can attend. The number of games I’ve missed due to fixture changes that are only announced with a couple of weeks’ notice just doesn’t make a season ticket anywhere near worth having. The Leeds game was when I considered not having a season ticket, and the Hull game was the final straw for me. Now we’ve had a game moved at five days’ notice (I know it’s an away game in this case, BUT it shows that Sky have the power to do this and it is just as likely to be a home game next year) and that has just confirmed my decision.
My days of having a season ticket are over until we get some stability in terms of fixture dates. I’ll attend games when I can, and to be honest that is dependent on whether or not I’m going to endure someone banging the living daylights out of a drum for 80minutes (I know some people like it, but I find the drum infuriating).

As do i and will not be renewing/attending for this reason only. So the drum has cost Cas as Least 2 season tickets from myself - Hope it's worth it in the long run for allowing it in the ground.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 10 Sep 2019, 21:14

Someone drumming dosnt bother me if it did id go stand in the railway end wouldn't stop me go watching cas tho
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

castigers2010
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by castigers2010 » 10 Sep 2019, 21:16

tigerfeat wrote:Someone drumming dosnt bother me if it did id go stand in the railway end wouldn't stop me go watching cas tho
As you say, it doesn't bother you. I doubt there's anywhere within the ground you can go without hearing it.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 10 Sep 2019, 21:17

nottinghamtiger wrote:
cogito ergo sum wrote:Suspect every fan of every club faces a similar dilemma. We are effectively owned by Sky, who can do what they see fit. This is not unique to Super League, every popular sport is dependent on media cash. I suspect our club is sympathetic with our fans, but he who pays the piper etc.
Every time our club tris to blame Sky for fixture changes, I’m reminded that our club actually voted in favour of giving Sky the power to change fixtures at such short notice. It wasn’t part of the initial deal - it was something that the club agreed to subsequently for a short-term financial gain. Unfortunately that might turn into a long-term loss with a fall in season ticket sales and attendances at individual games.
Sky do it in every sport. That’s the nature of broadcasting who want to show the most important games at the business end. And let’s be fair, that’s what the fans want to see too - not nothing games scheduled months in advance.

Blame The RFL, not the club. They are the ones who brought the deal to the table and put it on there as a “we may never get one as good as this” kind of way.

Club will always go for what’s going to guarantee them the money. They, like many others, rely on it.

Also, think the RFL/SLE needs to grow a spine and fix the scheduling so all games kick off on the same day at the same time like footy (eg Sat 1pm)
Last edited by HuddsTigers on 10 Sep 2019, 21:25, edited 1 time in total.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 10 Sep 2019, 21:23

As for STs, I will try and get one on the DD. Haven’t the money to pay up front.

Hopefully our mediocrity this year will reduce the number of Sky games next year and we may have a more favourable number of Sunday games.

I don’t subscribe to mini-STs. I think they only serve to reduce the income from full STs and the club would end up losing out more than a minority who can’t get a ST for whatever reason, logistical, work commitments or because they want to blame/penalise the club for something.

I think the club would be better off introducing a Membership scheme which allows people to pay up front for and that gets them tickets at a discounted rate higher than ST holders but lower than PAYG, say £20 for adults, as well as all the benefits of being a ST holder.
Last edited by HuddsTigers on 10 Sep 2019, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 10 Sep 2019, 21:29

HuddsTigers wrote:
nottinghamtiger wrote:
Sky do it in every sport. That’s the nature of broadcasting who want to show the games.

Blame The RFL, not the club. They are the ones who brought the deal to the table and put it on there as a “we may never get one as good as this” kind of way.

Club will always go for what’s going to guarantee them the money. They, like many others, rely on it.
The RFL did not vote - the clubs did. Including Cas, who were in favour. I just think it’s ridiculous to blame Sky for something that the club voted in favour of happening.
The club also relies on money from season ticket sales and paying customers in match days. Only the club will know if the extra money they get from Sky outweighs the loss in these areas. And that loss will be significant next year, I think.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 10 Sep 2019, 21:31

The RFL are the ones who negotiate the deal. It was The RFL who brought it to the table and got the clubs to vote. Even if Cas hadn’t voted that way it would have still probably got passed.

All teams have a vote plus the RFL have a 13th vote. The RFL also acts as the proxy vote on behalf of any clubs who couldn’t - eg Catalans.

Like they did with the ridiculous Stobart deal.

I think it’s entirely in the power of us as fans to blame Sky. It’s them who have changed the TV date to Thurs. I don’t know if it was ever made aware to clubs that was the case. No information is usually ever released to these granular details.
Last edited by HuddsTigers on 10 Sep 2019, 21:32, edited 1 time in total.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 10 Sep 2019, 21:32

HuddsTigers wrote:. I think the club would be better off introducing a Membership scheme which allows people to pay up front for and that gets them tickets at a discounted rate higher than ST holders but lower than PAYG, say £20 for adults, as well as all the benefits of being a ST holder.
Good thinking, that could work really well.
Just something other than the two options of a full-year season ticket or paying by the game.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 10 Sep 2019, 21:35

HuddsTigers wrote:Even if Cas hadn’t voted that way it would have still probably got passed.
In which case the club would have grounds to say “we have no control over this and we didn’t want it to happen”.
But because the club voted in favour, they look a bit daft trying to blame Sky for doing something that they voted to allow them to do.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 10 Sep 2019, 21:37

nottinghamtiger wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:Even if Cas hadn’t voted that way it would have still probably got passed.
In which case the club would have grounds to say “we have no control over this and we didn’t want it to happen”.
But because the club voted in favour, they look a bit daft trying to blame Sky for doing something that they voted to allow them to do.
Just looked. The only club that voted against was Salford.

The club was always going to look after financial interests first. It was presented to them in that way in that we couldn’t negotiate with any broadcasters until 2 years down the track and Sky were offering this now. Case of take it or die by the consequences. The RFL are the ones responsible for negotiating the TV deal and same for Elstone now

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 10 Sep 2019, 21:41

HuddsTigers wrote:
nottinghamtiger wrote:
Just looked. The only club that voted against was Salford.

The club was always going to look after financial interests first. It was presented to them in that way in that we couldn’t negotiate with any broadcasters until 2 years down the track and Sky were offering this now. Case of take it or die by the consequences. The RFL are the ones responsible for negotiating the TV deal and same for Elstone now
I’m not saying the club made the wrong decision at the time, though I think we may be financially worse off in the long run, owing to the drop on ST sales and attendances.
My point is that the club seek to push the blame for fixture changes onto Sky and say they have no control, without seeming to realise they were the ones who gave it away.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 10 Sep 2019, 21:50

Some Wigan fans echoing the same complaints as us about the change of date.