Huddersfield Away

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Huddersfield Away

Post by Swagger » 14 Aug 2019, 09:11

Big game this weekend. Lose and our push for top 5 is probably over. Win and we stay alive and keep pushing Salford.

Seem to struggle Vs Huddersfield a lot so going to be a tough game.

Large pitch I'm going CAS win by a few and Blair to score his first try :shock:

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Re: Huddersfield Away

Post by mdean » 14 Aug 2019, 09:48

Shouldn't even be a question I guess, if we are genuine top 5 contenders, this should be comfortable.

I have tried to not post for a bit, but for the mid-league places 2-8 I think this season has been won and lost on players 18-23 more than the run on 17.

I expect a double digit win personally.

CasAttack
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasAttack » 14 Aug 2019, 10:08

Anyone know if Minikin or Eden will be back? Surely Matt Cook is due a return too.

Keithy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Keithy » 14 Aug 2019, 10:14

CasAttack wrote:Anyone know if Minikin or Eden will be back? Surely Matt Cook is due a return too.
DP said yesterday that Milner and Minikin should be back this week, Eden has an ankle issue that will keep him out a while longer.

CasAttack
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasAttack » 14 Aug 2019, 10:23

I hope we keep O'Neill in the team. Think he went well against London and doesn't look out of place in the 17.
Imagine Clarkson will be missing after leaving the field early against London.
We need the win and I'd hope we have enough in us to do so. Lose and the season is done. Win and we go another week.
COYF

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 14 Aug 2019, 10:37

Swagger wrote:Big game this weekend. Lose and our push for top 5 is probably over. Win and we stay alive and keep pushing Salford.:
That sentence alone shows how poor this season has been.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 14 Aug 2019, 11:08

Not for me. Salford have had a stand out season and deserve to be up there. It’s good that we now think pushing for the top 5 with 4 games to go is evidence of a poor season though.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 14 Aug 2019, 11:48

Tamworth Tiger wrote:Not for me. Salford have had a stand out season and deserve to be up there. It’s good that we now think pushing for the top 5 with 4 games to go is evidence of a poor season though.
We finished 3rd last year, 5th is probably the highest we can finish with the games we have coming up. That is not an improvement from the year before. Everyone below us, have been even poorer, we're lucky the likes of Leeds and Catalan after spending big have had an awful year, otherwise we'd be further down that table.

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 14 Aug 2019, 12:09

There’s still a slender chance Leeds could sneak 5th as daft as it sounds.if they can beat saints this weekend and salford lose to hull there’s only 4 points separating them and they have to play salford so it’s a long shot but can’t be discounted

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 14 Aug 2019, 12:47

heritage1926 wrote:
Tamworth Tiger wrote:Not for me. Salford have had a stand out season and deserve to be up there. It’s good that we now think pushing for the top 5 with 4 games to go is evidence of a poor season though.
We finished 3rd last year, 5th is probably the highest we can finish with the games we have coming up. That is not an improvement from the year before. Everyone below us, have been even poorer, we're lucky the likes of Leeds and Catalan after spending big have had an awful year, otherwise we'd be further down that table.
It isn't realistic to expect an improvement from 3 when Saints, Wire, Wigan, Hull, Catalans can all spend more than us and on marquee players.

My own personal expectations are that we should be aiming for 4th every season with the aim of knocking out one of the above.

The season has been inconsistent - not disappointing, though I guess you can be disappointed by inconsistency. But that's the same for every side - look at the league. Barring Saints every other side has lost games in double digits.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 14 Aug 2019, 12:54

HuddsTigers wrote:
heritage1926 wrote:
It isn't realistic to expect an improvement from 3 when Saints, Wire, Wigan, Hull, Catalans can all spend more than us and on marquee players.

My own personal expectations are that we should be aiming for 4th every season with the aim of knocking out one of the above.

The season has been inconsistent - not disappointing, though I guess you can be disappointed by inconsistency. But that's the same for every side - look at the league. Barring Saints every other side has lost games in double digits.
It's all perspective and opinion I guess. You could ask 10 Cas fans if they're disappointed with this season, you could get all sorts of answers. I'd imagine though the majority would lean towards disappointing.

Although, it's not all doom and gloom, we do have 4 games left to give game time to fringe players as well as possibly play off rugby.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 14 Aug 2019, 13:04

Is that disappointing vs 2017, which many are still hung up on 2 years later? Or is it disappointing because we're 5th? Or is it disappointing compared to say 2008 when we finished bottom? There's got to be some realism.

We're not glory supporters - at least I've never had the perception that Cas fans are. We're always used to being the underdogs and for me finishing 4th or competing for it is an achievement for us. Sure we'd all like to do better, make finals every year - but we can only do that if fans keep turning up and supporting the team instead of dropping the club at a hat.

The club have said for us to use marquee players we need to average 9000. How can we do that when only 5k turn up for a game like London but yet 8500 come out for Leeds/Wakey.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 14 Aug 2019, 13:06

Once gale got injured we were always going to be behind the 8 ball the disappointment for me as been brain dead rugby that as thrown points away Powell as tried to play it in the forwards and keep things tight if we hadn't squandered points through ridiculous desicion making on the field he wouldn't have been far wrong either
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 14 Aug 2019, 13:16

HuddsTigers wrote:Is that disappointing vs 2017, which many are still hung up on 2 years later? Or is it disappointing because we're 5th? Or is it disappointing compared to say 2008 when we finished bottom? There's got to be some realism.

We're not glory supporters - at least I've never had the perception that Cas fans are. We're always used to being the underdogs and for me finishing 4th or competing for it is an achievement for us. Sure we'd all like to do better, make finals every year - but we can only do that if fans keep turning up and supporting the team instead of dropping the club at a hat.

The club have said for us to use marquee players we need to average 9000. How can we do that when only 5k turn up for a game like London but yet 8500 come out for Leeds/Wakey.
It’s disappointing for me the style of rugby we have been playing. I don’t think I’ve ever been so bored at some Cas games as I have been this season. To lose having a dig, throwing the ball about and trying to do something I can handle no problem. To lose not trying anything and playing one up rugby I can’t handle so much. You are bang on, we’re not glory supporters, but we normally have some kind of entertainment for our money. This season has been severely lacking in that department.

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 14 Aug 2019, 13:23

How can we do that when only 5k turn up for a game like London but yet 8500 come out for Leeds/Wakey.
could be something to do with the stupid kickoff time & the fact that london dont bring many supporters with them.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 14 Aug 2019, 13:25

derbystiger wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:Is that disappointing vs 2017, which many are still hung up on 2 years later? Or is it disappointing because we're 5th? Or is it disappointing compared to say 2008 when we finished bottom? There's got to be some realism.

It’s disappointing for me the style of rugby we have been playing. I don’t think I’ve ever been so bored at some Cas games as I have been this season. To lose having a dig, throwing the ball about and trying to do something I can handle no problem. To lose not trying anything and playing one up rugby I can’t handle so much. You are bang on, we’re not glory supporters, but we normally have some kind of entertainment for our money. This season has been severely lacking in that department.
Bang on. When we were struggling in the league we at least had Rangi to entertain us, the last 2 seasons the players just don't look like they are enjoying their rugby, maybe they are also hung up from the 2017 season.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 14 Aug 2019, 13:28

yorky wrote:
How can we do that when only 5k turn up for a game like London but yet 8500 come out for Leeds/Wakey.
could be something to do with the stupid kickoff time & the fact that london dont bring many supporters with them.
correct it was nearly 5 and a half thousand ,dumb kick off time four away fans in the ground good effort ...ive said it before and il say it again the supporters of cas are loyal
despite the dire game last time i expect a decent following at hudds on sunday
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 14 Aug 2019, 13:33

yorky wrote:
I'm talking about our own fanbase, not away fans.

We have a loyal core fanbase but I'd question the wider town support who only seem to come out for big games every season.

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 14 Aug 2019, 13:37

We have a loyal core fanbase but I'd question the wider town support who only seem to come out for big games every season.

your still not accepting the stupid kickoff time & day could have been part of the problem?

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 14 Aug 2019, 13:39

yorky wrote:
your still not accepting the stupid kickoff time could be part of the problem?
School holidays? Evening time? Weekend? Leeds Utd played at lunch time so no clashes with football.

And the fact we play at 7:45pm on Thurs/Fri. So no, I think it has little bearing or relevance to be honest.