No new signings expected

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

No new signings expected

Post by HuddsTigers » 07 Aug 2019, 17:59

In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: No new signings expected

Post by tigerfeat » 07 Aug 2019, 18:07

No point really mate I still was clutching to a straw we could do something in play offs if we brought a good player in get a home tie in play-offs... Sunday summed up were we are at tho and now Wattsys going to be missing think the season will just fizzle out
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Big Shug
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Big Shug » 07 Aug 2019, 18:19

Clearly, Cas are satisfied they won’t be relegated this season then.

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 07 Aug 2019, 19:53

Big Shug wrote:Clearly, Cas are satisfied they won’t be relegated this season then.
got a feeling be now more signings for next year as well if that is the case going to be similar season to this even worse if gail not back to is best or suffers further set back . And minikin going centres looking dodgy cant be reliant on shenny at his age and blair needs to improve double fold still not convinced we found answer to fullback but hey how we will have plenty off forwards .

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 08 Aug 2019, 07:38

I dont see anymore signings for next year unless Eden or Gale leave. Think powell will do his usual and keep so cap space for emergencies.

Fb rankin turner
Wing eden feki clare olpherts
Centre shenny blair mata’utia
Halfs gale trueman ellis
Forwards we have enough unless someone leaves

Id like another half back n prop that will improve our 17
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 08 Aug 2019, 07:58

i thought ellis was leaving?

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 08 Aug 2019, 08:03

You can't keep Rankin and except that's a straight swop for Wardle even if we felt we had to do it at the time because gale got lamed
And even if we don't want Wardle because hed rather be somewhere else
It would be crazy stuff IMO ...we have to be better than that
Vince Lombardi

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mucky1978 » 08 Aug 2019, 08:03

jackknife wrote:I dont see anymore signings for next year unless Eden or Gale leave. Think powell will do his usual and keep so cap space for emergencies.

Fb rankin turner
Halfs gale trueman ellis

Forwards

Jessie and Millington still 50/50 both could still go back home.

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 08 Aug 2019, 08:14

Mucky1978 wrote:
jackknife wrote:I dont see anymore signings for next year unless Eden or Gale leave. Think powell will do his usual and keep so cap space for emergencies.

Fb rankin turner
Halfs gale trueman ellis

Forwards

Jessie and Millington still 50/50 both could still go back home.
Hence the "unless someone leaves" iv been told Jesse is staying and i think Millo will stay and be used as a bench prop doing less minutes with Watts n Smith starting.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 08 Aug 2019, 08:22

In my eyes, too many of our rivals (Wigan, Hull etc) have gone out all guns blazing and strengthened for 2020, to the point where I can't see us competing for silverware next season. FC finally have a pack that can compliment their backs and Wigan have just recruited the best scrum half in the league, as well as adding size to their pack.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 08 Aug 2019, 08:32

We have a long time till the end of Feb 2020 to fix what isn't right it's glaringly obvious we havnt being good enough in the full - back position that is priority 1
Vince Lombardi

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 08 Aug 2019, 09:06

tigerfeat wrote:We have a long time till the end of Feb 2020 to fix what isn't right it's glaringly obvious we havnt being good enough in the full - back position that is priority 1
we are going to become a regular bottom half off league team for sure going with what we have with out investing in some major talent in centres half back and fullback and probably another super league standard prop to complement watts don't like the way the present regime is taking the club with its recruitment policy off by cheap but plenty off squad players. ](*,)

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 08 Aug 2019, 09:14

heritage1926 wrote:In my eyes, too many of our rivals (Wigan, Hull etc) have gone out all guns blazing and strengthened for 2020, to the point where I can't see us competing for silverware next season. FC finally have a pack that can compliment their backs and Wigan have just recruited the best scrum half in the league, as well as adding size to their pack.
Agree completely. We were left behind by Saints and Warrington after 2017, and two years after making the Grand Final we probably won’t even make a play-off spot (even though there are five this year). So much for Wells insisting that we didn’t need to strengthen the squad between 2018 and 2019 - we’ve now been caught by Hull FC, Catalans and Salford, who might all finish above us or within a couple of points. We could drop six places (half the league) in the space of two seasons and I think it’s poor recruitment and retention that is the reason.
Bar Watts, we’ve not improved in a single position since 2017.
We’ve signed too many very average players and given them longer contracts that they deserve.
We’ve resigned too many average, injury-prone players and given them longer contracts than they deserve.
As ever, I’m optimistic about next year. Gale will be back, Cheyse Blair will get a proper pre-season to work on combinations and Feki is a first-choice NRL winger.
Whilst full-backs aren’t easy to come by, we certainly need one. If Wakefield go down we should be straight in for Alex Walker, or spending some money and trying to get Evalds from Salford.
I’d also be open to Millington or/and Moors leaving a year early if they decided their time us up in the game. Bring in Herman Ese’Ese and another forward to freshen things up a bit in the pack.
We need to reverse the decline of 2018 and 2019.

Hepworth7
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Hepworth7 » 08 Aug 2019, 10:54

Good points and well made,up to the hierarchy to see if we invest to strengthen and try to address the downward spiral.Full Back as everyone seems to agree should be a priority and cover for the props, Millo and Moors have been great servants but can't go on forever and we don't seem to have the in house talent coming through to replace them, Tyler Hepi obviously arriving which will add strength in depth but not necessarily on terms of quality but he deserves his chance. I'm still hopeful Oneill,Peachey and Carr can make the step up next season and like Notts am not giving up on Blair by any stretch. For me while injury free next years back line,FB apart looks stronger but would still think up front there is still room for strengthening.

classycas57
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by classycas57 » 08 Aug 2019, 11:04

nottinghamtiger wrote:
heritage1926 wrote:In my eyes, too many of our rivals (Wigan, Hull etc) have gone out all guns blazing and strengthened for 2020, to the point where I can't see us competing for silverware next season. FC finally have a pack that can compliment their backs and Wigan have just recruited the best scrum half in the league, as well as adding size to their pack.
Agree completely. We were left behind by Saints and Warrington after 2017, and two years after making the Grand Final we probably won’t even make a play-off spot (even though there are five this year). So much for Wells insisting that we didn’t need to strengthen the squad between 2018 and 2019 - we’ve now been caught by Hull FC, Catalans and Salford, who might all finish above us or within a couple of points. We could drop six places (half the league) in the space of two seasons and I think it’s poor recruitment and retention that is the reason.
Bar Watts, we’ve not improved in a single position since 2017.
We’ve signed too many very average players and given them longer contracts that they deserve.
We’ve resigned too many average, injury-prone players and given them longer contracts than they deserve.
As ever, I’m optimistic about next year. Gale will be back, Cheyse Blair will get a proper pre-season to work on combinations and Feki is a first-choice NRL winger.
Whilst full-backs aren’t easy to come by, we certainly need one. If Wakefield go down we should be straight in for Alex Walker, or spending some money and trying to get Evalds from Salford.
I’d also be open to Millington or/and Moors leaving a year early if they decided their time us up in the game. Bring in Herman Ese’Ese and another forward to freshen things up a bit in the pack.
We need to reverse the decline of 2018 and 2019.
Agree with everything apart from been optimistic next year

tallguyx
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tallguyx » 08 Aug 2019, 12:30

The day it started going wrong was the day Steve Gill left for me.

I still think he did the right thing with Hardaker and thought he was unfairly hung out to dry.

Wells hasn’t done a good job he’s let good young players leave and average ones arrive,fair enough he signed Watts but how hard a deal was that he lives up the road has a young family and supports Cas. Our signings for next season aren’t overly exciting either. Maybe we should get used to mid table.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 08 Aug 2019, 12:47

Personally put it down to Gale’s pre season injury.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 08 Aug 2019, 12:53

Centre is the position that needs addressing , if Minikin had shown the form he as over recent weeks a doubt we would have let him go, Shenny is in the twilight of his career , when we signed Blair i thought we had got a good one but the lad as failed to impress will he improve next year the jury's out on that one

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 08 Aug 2019, 13:00

Hull have splashed the cash on the first 17 but they're ballsed if they get injuries. They're letting 7/8 go to bring in 3 forwards. As I've said elsewhere, they're losing Manu, Minichiello, Paea, Westerman, Hadley and Chris Green.

As for Hastings being the best scrum half, I don't buy into that for one second (he's also a stand off), which I'd put Austin and Lomax above him this season.

But people use strengthening like they're adding to their existing squad. They're not. Wigan have brought in Hastings to replace Williams.

They've brought in Bibby to replace Sarginson. Burgess and Clark to replace Tautai, Hamlin and maybe O'Loughlin too, French will no doubt end up replacing Escare.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 08 Aug 2019, 13:08

We defiantly need a good full-back for next season if we get one I don't think we will be far off
Gale -Trueman ...I think will be a top partnership
Watts -Smith ...Will be too excellent props
Eden -Feki ... should score a bucket load of trys between em
We will have good players in other positions and plenty of options for coach Powell
Vince Lombardi