Reserves

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Tigersbarmy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Reserves

Post by Tigersbarmy » 17 Jul 2019, 10:36

Just been confirmed brining it back next year . Excited for this , what will happen to 19’s?

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Reserves

Post by heritage1926 » 17 Jul 2019, 10:46

I’d imagine the 19’s will continue. The lads who are then too old for the 19’s, but are deemed good enough will then move up to the reserves.

This has so many benefits for any club. The 2 big ones for me are;

1) Lads who are good enough aren’t then lost to the system after playing for 19’s – so many times a young lad leaves the 19’s, he even then has to be good enough to make it in Super League in a short space of time or finds that they have to drop down a division to carry on playing.

2) Fringe players can still play for the club competitively without having to go out on loan to impress. Means the club can keeper closer eye on the development of players – a big one for me is also, we pay players to represent other clubs on loan, at least players will be paid for paying for Cas.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 17 Jul 2019, 10:49

its reserve grade and under 18s next season
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Hepworth7
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Hepworth7 » 17 Jul 2019, 11:05

Good move

KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Post by KB80 » 17 Jul 2019, 12:30

heritage1926 wrote:I’d imagine the 19’s will continue. The lads who are then too old for the 19’s, but are deemed good enough will then move up to the reserves.

This has so many benefits for any club. The 2 big ones for me are;

1) Lads who are good enough aren’t then lost to the system after playing for 19’s – so many times a young lad leaves the 19’s, he even then has to be good enough to make it in Super League in a short space of time or finds that they have to drop down a division to carry on playing.

2) Fringe players can still play for the club competitively without having to go out on loan to impress. Means the club can keeper closer eye on the development of players – a big one for me is also, we pay players to represent other clubs on loan, at least players will be paid for paying for Cas.
You can also mirror your reserves to how the 1st team play to ease transition.

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 17 Jul 2019, 12:37

It should be good news but we need to see how it works first. If we are plucking amateurs off the street to make teams up as some clubs have done this year then it won’t work simple as that. If it’s funded correctly then great.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 17 Jul 2019, 12:45

With a likely starting 17 of:

Matautia, Feki, Blair, Shenton, Eden, Trueman, Gale, Watts, McShane, Smith, McMeeken, Jesse, Massey

Subs: Milner, Cook, Moors, Holmes

Means a strong reserves side next year featuring Turner, Clare, Olpherts, Rankin (if he stays), Griffin, Storey, Hepi, Foster, Peachey, O'Neill and Carr. Maybe Clarkson, Ellis and Gill too if they stay.

Kids overage who could step up: Jinks (hooker), Henry Mitchell (back-row), Sweeting (scrum half), Joe Fella (loose), Joe Summers (back-row) (taken from Cas site - not sure how many others will be overage)

Turner
Clare
Storey
Olpherts
Carr
Rankin
Sweeting
Griffin
Jinks
Peachey
Hepi
Foster
O'Neill

Summers
Fella
Mitchell
A N Other
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 17 Jul 2019, 12:48

doubt very much matautia will get the number 1 jersey next season ...were behind the 8 ball from the start if he does
Vince Lombardi

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 17 Jul 2019, 12:50

HuddsTigers wrote:With a likely starting 17 of:

Matautia, Feki, Blair, Shenton, Eden, Trueman, Gale, Watts, McShane, Smith, McMeeken, Jesse, Massey

Means a strong reserves side next year featuring Turner, Clare, Olpherts, Rankin (if he stays), Griffin, Storey, Hepi, Foster, Peachey, O'Neill and Carr. Maybe Clarkson, Ellis and Gill too if they stay.

Kids overage who could step up: Jinks (hooker), Henry Mitchell (back-row), Sweeting (scrum half), Joe Fella (loose), Joe Summers (back-row) (taken from Cas site - not sure how many others will be overage)

Turner
Clare
Storey
Olpherts
Carr
Rankin
Sweeting
Griffin
Jinks
Peachey
Hepi
Foster
O'Neill

Summers
Fella
Mitchell
A N Other
If gale not proper recovered and playing same standard before injury can't see much different then this year we your starting 17

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 17 Jul 2019, 13:11

If he takes up a quota spot I couldn't justify keeping Rankin to play in the reserves.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 17 Jul 2019, 13:27

I think we will bring a full back in if not we will keep Rankin and start him at full back failing that give Turner a chance
I think Turner would benefit from playing in our second team next season and could push on
Vince Lombardi

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 17 Jul 2019, 14:55

my biggest worry is the raiding of the local amateur clubs for players, there is hardly enough players wanting to play the game as it is, i hope it does not hurt them so they will be unable to field a team, When the reserves are formed i hope the games are played on Sunday when the first team as played midweek

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 17 Jul 2019, 15:31

gateman wrote:my biggest worry is the raiding of the local amateur clubs for players, there is hardly enough players wanting to play the game as it is, i hope it does not hurt them so they will be unable to field a team, When the reserves are formed i hope the games are played on Sunday when the first team as played midweek
That's why Hetherington as kicked against its re-introduction for years.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 17 Jul 2019, 15:33

Think I'll reserve judgement for now...
Spreading the Cas gene pool

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 17 Jul 2019, 19:33

Turner
Clare
Storey
Olpherts
Carr
Rankin
Sweeting
Griffin
Jinks
Peachey
Hepi
Foster
O'Neill

Summers
Fella
Mitchell
A N Other
That looks ok but in reality both those teams could be missing on average 4/5 players a week meaning your at least 10 players light.all of which need to be paid. Rumours of part time and pay as you play from the amateur game will make a mockery of the reasons for bringing back reserves.

Like I say I’ll reserve judgement until I know more of how our club decides to roll with it

Tigersbarmy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigersbarmy » 17 Jul 2019, 22:50

Turner
Clare
Storey
Olpherts
Carr
Rankin
Sweeting
Griffin
Jinks
Peachey
Hepi
Foster
O'Neill

Summers
Fella
Mitchell
A N Other
Interesting you’ve put Olpherts at centre . Heard he played there a bit for Newcastle thunder but pretty much sure he’s played every game on wing for Salford at super league level

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 18 Jul 2019, 07:46

when the reserves were abandoned it was a cost cutting exercise nothing as changed, i keep beating the drum that these matches should be played to avoid clashing with TV matches and the armature game that play on a Saturday , Sunday would be the best option when the first team have played midweek , this should help to increase the gate receipts so offsetting some of the cost

Tiger53
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tiger53 » 18 Jul 2019, 07:56

I’m all for mandatory reserve teams.

However, surely this should go hand in hand with scrapping the dual registration system but apparently the dual registration and loan systems are unaffected.

If I recall correctly DR was introduced because, without reserve teams, there was nowhere for SL players who were not in their clubs first team to get game time. With the re-introduction of reserve teams there will be so why the need for DR? It hardly aids development when young players at Championship/League 1 clubs train with their clubs during the week only to find that they don’t get a game at the weekend to make way for SL players.

If reserve teams and DR are allowed to co-exist you will have the farcical situation at some clubs where amateurs are being used to fill up there reserve teams whilst the same clubs has senior players out on DR at Championship clubs.

No problem with players being on loan but, with the re-introduction of reserve teams, dual registration should now be scrapped but typically the RFL ( or the clubs ) only do half a job.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 18 Jul 2019, 09:50

Tremendous move.
The pathway to dreams for many.

There’s always folks wanting to turn their hand to RL at amateur level, I don’t buy it btw. We’ll see.

The amateur game could be even stronger ultimately.

Pathways...
Audacter Et Sincere