Olpherts Confirmed

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: Olpherts Confirmed

Post by nottinghamtiger » 02 Jul 2019, 20:29

HuddsTigers wrote:
tigerfeat wrote:
Swagger wrote:
The Birchwood Red wrote:Salford fan here, take it from me! He’s awful! If he’s an improvement on any of your wingers then they must be absolutely terrible!

He costs us around 6-10 points a game with his stupid unforced errors.
Have you seen our wingers recently?? He will only be a back up anyway.
I truly hope he is a back up but then you go to the point made by Notts tiger why three year deal?
And I know you have to big up your signings but for Powell to say he's a standout winger in super league is frankly ludicrous
Because it gives us a settled squad? Players aren’t going to accept 1 year deals unless in the twilight of their career so you are looking at 2+ minimum.

Remember a certain Solomona. If he performs well next season we then have an asset who clubs will have to buy out to sign? If he doesn’t perform, he gives us cover and plays in the Reserves for the next few years.

The club will always look to avoid huge upheaval every season. And it’s likely to be a lower cost deal anyway that means it’s not huge to cut or for someone else to take on should we wish to move him on.

Personally I trust in Powell’s judgement to take a punt on someone. He hasn’t done too bad with Solomona and Eden as wingers.
The trouble is, a settled squad is often a squad that isn’t improved. Wells said at the beginning of this season that we didn’t need to improve, but it was ravingly obvious to everyone else that we did. If he (and Powell) think that signing Griffin and Olpherts will close the gap on Saints and Warrington, they are badly mistaken.
Of course, the one thing we don’t know is the value of every player’s contract. If Olpherts is on 30k a year he might offer good value. If he’s on 60k a year, he might not. In a salary-capped sport, it’s about getting good value for the proportion of the cap each player takes up.

The Firm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by The Firm » 02 Jul 2019, 21:00

Throwing 3 year deals around like confetti on poor standard players again. Waste of cap space. Wells wants sacking.

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 02 Jul 2019, 21:04

Feki is Clares replacement in the starting 13 making Clare the back up and now Olphents is Clares replacement as back up making Clare....... Not needed
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 02 Jul 2019, 21:33

jackknife wrote:Feki is Clares replacement in the starting 13 making Clare the back up and now Olphents is Clares replacement as back up making Clare....... Not needed
Trouble is, we extended his contact by two years at this point in 2018.
This is my real issue with recruitment and retention. We signed Clare before the start of 2018 on a one year contract. Fair enough - he was seen as a back-up player and if he didn’t perform we could cut him after 12 months. I had no issue with giving him a year.
The major error was extending that contract for another TWO years at a point when he had only played 8 (yes, eight) games in 2018. Who in their right mind doles out a two-year extension on the back of such a limited number of games (and he was pretty average in those games too)? It was stupid and it was clearly stupid at the time.
Now everyone knows he isn’t good enough, who is going to take him on and pay him the same salary? Nobody, that’s who. We’ll be stuck with him for next year because we gave him a long contract on the back of 8 average games.

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 02 Jul 2019, 21:40

I personally don't mind having 4 wingers and it won't be the 1st time we've had 4.

Feki is class
Eden on his day claas

Olpherts & Clare both cheap, and goid enough to step in and put pressure on the top two.

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 02 Jul 2019, 21:45

3 year deal on a winger with alleged eye problem?

Hope to god he's cheap.

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 02 Jul 2019, 21:47

nottinghamtiger wrote:
jackknife wrote:Feki is Clares replacement in the starting 13 making Clare the back up and now Olphents is Clares replacement as back up making Clare....... Not needed
This is my real issue with recruitment and retention. We signed Clare before the start of 2018 on a one year contract. Fair enough - he was seen as a back-up player and if he didn’t perform we could cut him after 12 months. I had no issue with giving him a year.
The major error was extending that contract for another TWO years at a point when he had only played 8 (yes, eight) games in 2018. Who in their right mind doles out a two-year extension on the back of such a limited number of games (and he was pretty average in those games too)? It was stupid and it was clearly stupid at the time.
Now everyone knows he isn’t good enough, who is going to take him on and pay him the same salary? Nobody, that’s who. We’ll be stuck with him for next year because we gave him a long contract on the back of 8 average games.
The magic of Jon Wells :roll:

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 02 Jul 2019, 21:48

Casmoley wrote:I personally don't mind having 4 wingers and it won't be the 1st time we've had 4.

Feki is class
Eden on his day claas

Olpherts & Clare both cheap, and goid enough to step in and put pressure on the top two.
And Wells.
To be fair, I think he’d be better than James Clare.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 02 Jul 2019, 22:13

duke street 10 wrote:
nottinghamtiger wrote:
The retention annoys me more than the recruitment to be honest.
As above, Clare given two years after 8 average games.
Holmes given two years more in March 2018 after playing a total of 25 games since the end of the 2015 season. I mean, we’ve got what was coming there - a player who is injured most of the time.
Alex Foster - he’s had three contracts in three years. Why did we give him a contract in 2018 to the end of 2021 when he was already under contract until the end of 2019 anyway? It was just unnecessary. Since he signed that deal to the end of 2021, he’s played 6 games.
Shenton - we’ve given him a contract that won’t expire until he’s 36. That’s utter madness.

Firstly, I’m not saying these players are rubbish. My point is that we seem to give out multi-year contracts to players who either haven’t earnt them or are very likely to decline before the end of their contract. We seem to be scared that they will go elsewhere, when in reality no other club is likely to offer them more than a year or two and if they do, good luck to them. Knowing who to let go and when is as crucial as having a good recruitment strategy. And we seem to be pretty poor at both since the appointment of Jon Wells.
And this brings us back to Wells. Prior to his appointment, our recruitment and retention was pretty spot on. We signed the likes of Gale, Solomona, Dorn, McMeeken, Eden, McShane etc. We got players in on short-term deals and cut them when they were no longer needed. Since Wells joined the club, our recruitment and retention has been abysmal in comparison to before he joined. That leads to the question of whether he just poor at the role he has, and the evidence suggests he is.

classycas57
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by classycas57 » 02 Jul 2019, 22:23

The Birchwood Red wrote:Salford fan here, take it from me! He’s awful! If he’s an improvement on any of your wingers then they must be absolutely terrible!

He costs us around 6-10 points a game with his stupid unforced errors.
Thanks for the encouragement,but our wingers also cost us points every game so no difference then,my opinion is a change is as good as a rest

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 02 Jul 2019, 22:25

nottinghamtiger wrote:
duke street 10 wrote:
nottinghamtiger wrote:
Holmes given two years more in March 2018 after playing a total of 25 games since the end of the 2015 season. I mean, we’ve got what was coming there - a player who is injured most of the time.
Alex Foster - he’s had three contracts in three years. Why did we give him a contract in 2018 to the end of 2021 when he was already under contract until the end of 2019 anyway? It was just unnecessary. Since he signed that deal to the end of 2021, he’s played 6 games.
Shenton - we’ve given him a contract that won’t expire until he’s 36. That’s utter madness.

Firstly, I’m not saying these players are rubbish. My point is that we seem to give out multi-year contracts to players who either haven’t earnt them or are very likely to decline before the end of their contract. We seem to be scared that they will go elsewhere, when in reality no other club is likely to offer them more than a year or two and if they do, good luck to them. Knowing who to let go and when is as crucial as having a good recruitment strategy. And we seem to be pretty poor at both since the appointment of Jon Wells.
And this brings us back to Wells. Prior to his appointment, our recruitment and retention was pretty spot on. We signed the likes of Gale, Solomona, Dorn, McMeeken, Eden, McShane etc. We got players in on short-term deals and cut them when they were no longer needed. Since Wells joined the club, our recruitment and retention has been abysmal in comparison to before he joined. That leads to the question of whether he just poor at the role he has, and the evidence suggests he is.
End of 2020 we can get rid of most of these Holmes, Clare, Ellis, moors, milo I think will all go if some don't before.

classycas57
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by classycas57 » 02 Jul 2019, 22:27

nottinghamtiger wrote:
duke street 10 wrote:
nottinghamtiger wrote:

Lots of good true points but give wells time to see if he his wrong

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 02 Jul 2019, 22:31

fords wrote:
nottinghamtiger wrote:
duke street 10 wrote:
nottinghamtiger wrote:

End of 2020 we can get rid of most of these Holmes, Clare, Ellis, moors, milo I think will all go if some don't before.
Unless we give them new contracts. And to be honest, it wouldn’t surprise me.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 02 Jul 2019, 22:34

classycas57 wrote:
nottinghamtiger wrote:
duke street 10 wrote:
nottinghamtiger wrote:

Lots of good true points but give wells time to see if he his wrong
Unfortunately, time isn’t a luxury you get in professional sport.
Look how far ahead of Warrington and St Helens we were at the end of 2017. Then look how far ahead of us they are now. That’s happened in 18 months.

classycas57
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by classycas57 » 02 Jul 2019, 23:09

True we was saying that this morning. Let's see how next year pans out I'm as frustrated as you mate

Tigerwood posse
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: no

Post by Tigerwood posse » 03 Jul 2019, 00:12

duke street 10 wrote:3 year deal on a winger with alleged eye problem?

Hope to god he's cheap.

It’s not alleged it’s a Fact, his peripheral vision is atrocious, take it from me, my daughter went out with him for months, I know he cannot see, he can only play on the right because he cannot see the ball coming to him on the left!!! ... I guarantee that no team in super league has a peripheral vision examination as part of any medical, he shouldn’t even be driving!!!

TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TheSheriff » 03 Jul 2019, 00:39

Tigerwood posse wrote:
duke street 10 wrote:3 year deal on a winger with alleged eye problem?

Hope to god he's cheap.

It’s not alleged it’s a Fact, his peripheral vision is atrocious, take it from me, my daughter went out with him for months, I know he cannot see, he can only play on the right because he cannot see the ball coming to him on the left!!! ... I guarantee that no team in super league has a peripheral vision examination as part of any medical, he shouldn’t even be driving!!!
Players have eye tests as part of a medical....

Frankie Zobs

Post by Frankie Zobs » 03 Jul 2019, 04:56

I'd suggest to Castleford coaching team that he needs to be taught how to Catch the ball on then Not Knock it on. He did the exact thing twice the Other week at the AJ Bell. Admittedly If he sees the line from 10-20 metres he'll score the majority of tries.

Tigersbarmy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigersbarmy » 03 Jul 2019, 08:18

Not one to get excited about but his height, strength and pace is something he has natural so hopefully Powell can tidy his negatives about his game up

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 03 Jul 2019, 08:44

nottinghamtiger wrote:
Unfortunately, time isn’t a luxury you get in professional sport.
Look how far ahead of Warrington and St Helens we were at the end of 2017. Then look how far ahead of us they are now. That’s happened in 18 months.
Flawed logic to an extent. Yes, the table says we were miles ahead of them but in reality both had bang average seasons. However, Saints massively improved under Holbrook when he came in mid-season. In reality, they weren't that far behind us - some could argue they shouldn't have been.

That combination was never ever going to happen again every season. I keep repeating but if expectations are measured against 2017 everyone is going to be miserable for a long time to come. Our benchmark has to be maintaining our top 4 status and everything else we get is a bonus at this stage.

The differences between the two sides and us is that Warrington can use every exemption and exploit every exemption. I've no doubt if we were forking out £400k on one player, I'm sure some of our creditors may have something to say about it! Saints are fundamentally propped up by a superb academy where they can afford to pay their lower end players less, while their top end players are willing to sacrifice a few quid to play for the best.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!