Monday's rugby papers

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Re: Monday's rugby papers

Post by HuddsTigers » 24 Jun 2019, 17:51

When you look at who's in and out I don't know how anyone can say we're regressing in terms of recruitment. Everyone we have apparently signed is pretty much better than those outgoing.

We also forget we added Smith mid-season who came in when we had an injury crisis but will no doubt count as an addition for next year too.

Smith > Maher
Olpherts > Gill
Feki > Minikin
Hepi > Clark (possibly only one that's wait and see)
Rankin > Aston (should we lose Aston and retain Aston). I do think people are being harsh on Rankin as a consequence of our faltering attack
Griffin > Clarkson - we're top heavy on back rowers and Griffin adds an extra prop into our squad that we desperately need on top of Watts, Millo, Moors, Cook and Smith.

If we lose Ellis, I wouldn't be surprised if we hold that back and wait and see which side goes down (providing it isn't us) and then use it on someone else.

Reality is we've improved our squad depth and squad players with better players.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 24 Jun 2019, 18:11

How would our squad depth be improved by losing 2 players and not replacing them Hudds?

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 24 Jun 2019, 18:13

Spanishtiger wrote:How would our squad depth be improved by losing 2 players and not replacing them Hudds?
Because Aston, Gill and Maher are usually shipped out on loan and don't play anyway?

The only reason they have is because of injuries.

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 24 Jun 2019, 18:21

HuddsTigers wrote:
Spanishtiger wrote:How would our squad depth be improved by losing 2 players and not replacing them Hudds?
Because Aston, Gill and Maher are usually shipped out on loan and don't play anyway?

That stil does improve squad depth if the squads got smaller ](*,)
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 24 Jun 2019, 18:31

Tigersbarmy wrote:Nope , Olpherts , Griffin , hepi & feki that’s it
Given your posts of this ilk are usually wide of the mark, I’ll wait until a ball in kicked in 2020 to see how our recruitment has shaped up ;) ;) ;) ;)

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 24 Jun 2019, 18:34

HuddsTigers wrote:When you look at who's in and out I don't know how anyone can say we're regressing in terms of recruitment. Everyone we have apparently signed is pretty much better than those outgoing.

We also forget we added Smith mid-season who came in when we had an injury crisis but will no doubt count as an addition for next year too.

Smith > Maher
Olpherts > Gill
Feki > Minikin
Rankin > Aston (should we lose Aston and retain Aston). I do think people are being harsh on Rankin as a consequence of our faltering attack
Griffin > Clarkson - we're top heavy on back rowers and Griffin adds an extra prop into our squad that we desperately need on top of Watts, Millo, Moors, Cook and Smith.

If we lose Ellis, I wouldn't be surprised if we hold that back and wait and see which side goes down (providing it isn't us) and then use it on someone else.

Reality is we've improved our squad depth and squad players with better players.
not regressing but I would say standing still is not were we want to be if you think these signings are going to get us back up to 2017 standards you have probably and a cheeky joint this aft . If we don't sign another proven half back and prop we will be in same situation as this year. I would even be thinking see leeds or one off the other top teams want trueman while he as still got a bit off reputation left for a decent price tell you now he is not going to get any better he's and plenty off time and don't bring age into it he's older enough now if any good. One main reason why we look clue less in attack this year no good half back to dominate games. As for prop cant keep leaving to watts to do all hard work and sign championship standard squad players to help him out were going to burn him out. We need somebody as good as him not cheap option's rather have less rubbish squad players and concentrate on more proven and class.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 24 Jun 2019, 18:45

flow wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:When you look at who's in and out I don't know how anyone can say we're regressing in terms of recruitment. Everyone we have apparently signed is pretty much better than those outgoing.

Smith > Maher
Olpherts > Gill
Feki > Minikin

not regressing but I would say standing still is not were we want to be if you think these signings are going to get us back up to 2017 standards you have probably and a cheeky joint this aft . If we don't sign another proven half back and prop we will be in same situation as this year. I would even be thinking see leeds or one off the other top teams want trueman while he as still got a bit off reputation left for a decent price tell you now he is not going to get any better he's and plenty off time and don't bring age into it he's older enough now if any good. One main reason why we look clue less in attack this year no good half back to dominate games. As for prop cant keep leaving to watts to do all hard work and sign championship standard squad players to help him out were going to burn him out. We need somebody as good as him not cheap option's rather have less rubbish squad players and concentrate on more proven and class.
Everyone (apart from you) knows that an half back or half backs cannot operate behind a beaten pack. All too often this season, we’ve been beaten in the forwards, something that didn’t happen in 2017, hence our successful (GF apart) season. We could put Cameron Munster and Daly Cherry-Evans at 6 and 7 but behind a set of forwards who don’t get the team on the front foot, they’d be as useless as Jake Trueman and Jordan Rankin.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 24 Jun 2019, 18:45

jackknife wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:

That stil does improve squad depth if the squads got smaller ](*,)
But if they don't play they're only part of the squad in name so what's the point? You could name U19s to fill 30 upwards to make it look like a bigger squad but it's only 1-25 that really matter.

And many people on here have actually been calling for us to reduce the squad size and spend it on better players, which they arguably are than those they are replacing #-o . If all of these are signed we have

FB: Matautia, Turner
W: Eden, Feki, Olpherts, Clare, Carr
C: Blair, Shenton, Storey
SO: Trueman, Rankin (providing he stays)
SH: Gale
P: Watts, Millo, Cook, Smith, Moors, Griffin, Hepi
H: McShane
SR: McMeeken, Jesse, Holmes, Foster, Peachey
LF: Massey, Milner, O'Neill

This is assuming Ellis doesn't stay as rumoured, along with Clarkson, Clark, Egodo, Aston, Maher, Gill and Minikin (8 out) and those rumoured (Feki, Olpherts, Hepi, Griffin) do come in.

Squad of 29 vs 31 that we started with this year (Blair, Smith and Clarkson all announced after). If Ellis or Clarkson stay, that takes us to 30 v 31.

dettoriman
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: Dettoriman

Post by dettoriman » 24 Jun 2019, 18:51

Regarding Jesse.

He wants to return. He loves it here and so did his family.

His family have remained in Australia to support the rest of his family.

He has a task in October when he returns home to pursuade them to come back over here. Nothing is guaranteed until then. But he wants to return and finish his career with us.
Loyalty Costs Nothing !

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 24 Jun 2019, 18:52

flow wrote:

Smith > Maher
Olpherts > Gill
Feki > Minikin

It's not about getting us back up to 2017 standards. Forget 2017 - it was an enigma - a one season wonder. If you're going to measure us against that year every year you're going to be pretty darn miserable forever and ever. We do, however, need better squad players who can come in and hold their own when we lose a few bodies to injury, which the current crop can't.

Gale and Trueman are good enough - things just aren't clicking at the mo. When we have our spine back (god help us we do) then we will see how good it is. I agree in that I'd like to see another front-line forward but we have to be realistic. How do you propose we fund this said world-class signing when the players off contract are players on likes of 20-40k a year? I'm pretty comfortable with what's proposed and where we are at.

If we have some cap space left over, let's see who goes down and pick someone up then. If KR go down, I'd take someone like Mulhern on and then look to replenish our forwards for next year when Millo, Moors, Jesse all come off contract.

Fryston Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Fryston Tiger » 24 Jun 2019, 19:01

Jay Pitts to be coming back up North.....could he be one coming to Cas....report says close to his West Yorkshire home?

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 24 Jun 2019, 19:03

Fumper27 wrote:
flow wrote:

Smith > Maher
Olpherts > Gill
Feki > Minikin

Everyone (apart from you) knows that an half back or half backs cannot operate behind a beaten pack. All too often this season, we’ve been beaten in the forwards, something that didn’t happen in 2017, hence our successful (GF apart) season. We could put Cameron Munster and Daly Cherry-Evans at 6 and 7 but behind a set of forwards who don’t get the team on the front foot, they’d be as useless as Jake Trueman and Jordan Rankin.
rubbish mate you being watching a different game we have had plenty off ball in good positions in other teams twenty and had no idea want to do with it that's purely down to bad 6 and 7 and maybe throw a poor full back not combining into plays at right time. there even making the nrl legend blair look bad . Forwards are having to take ball off trueman to try and make a play look at how many kicks watts as put in most are trys are now lucky or crash overs.

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 24 Jun 2019, 19:07

HuddsTigers wrote:
flow wrote:

Smith > Maher
Olpherts > Gill
Feki > Minikin

It's not about getting us back up to 2017 standards. Forget 2017 - it was an enigma - a one season wonder. If you're going to measure us against that year every year you're going to be pretty darn miserable forever and ever. We do, however, need better squad players who can come in and hold their own when we lose a few bodies to injury, which the current crop can't.

Gale and Trueman are good enough - things just aren't clicking at the mo. When we have our spine back (god help us we do) then we will see how good it is. I agree in that I'd like to see another front-line forward but we have to be realistic. How do you propose we fund this said world-class signing when the players off contract are players on likes of 20-40k a year? I'm pretty comfortable with what's proposed and where we are at.

If we have some cap space left over, let's see who goes down and pick someone up then. If KR go down, I'd take someone like Mulhern on and then look to replenish our forwards for next year when Millo, Moors, Jesse all come off contract.
can remember you saying same at start off this season look how well that as gone what if gale goes to leeds or never discover is form back you going to be happy to rely on trueman as main attacking king pin oh dear me

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 24 Jun 2019, 19:12

flow wrote:
Fumper27 wrote:
flow wrote:

Smith > Maher
Olpherts > Gill
Feki > Minikin

look at how many kicks watts as put in.
So, because I have a different opinion to you, it’s rubbish? Also, you’ve just topped the lot for your dumbest post / statement given that Liam Watts hasn’t made a single attacking kick, a single 40-20 kick or a single kick in general play this season.... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 24 Jun 2019, 19:20

Fumper27 wrote:
flow wrote:
Fumper27 wrote:
flow wrote:

Smith > Maher
Olpherts > Gill
Feki > Minikin

look at how many kicks watts as put in.
So, because I have a different opinion to you, it’s rubbish? Also, you’ve just topped the lot for your dumbest post / statement given that Liam Watts hasn’t made a single attacking kick, a single 40-20 kick or a single kick in general play this season.... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
yes he as scored off one your embarrassing your self not knowing what's happening to the team and why not showing any thing when in attacking position, thought you had better knowledge off game what is your reason for looking clue less in attacking position blaming forwards for that is your most embarrassing comment yet :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: and not 6 and 7

init
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by init » 24 Jun 2019, 19:23

Got to admit flow has a point...we are making the metres our front n second row are not the issue.

Mcshane is a big problem his lack of form is killing us because of this we are relying on Trueman and Rankin.

Trueman has lost form and confidence....the huge mistake DP is making is persisting with him..he needs a break to much pressure on him and he is not good enough(yet?) to cope

Rankin is no organiser either...no voice.

Without McShanes form to drive our attack we are a final 20m damp sqib.

Matautia is also an issue his link up play is exceptionally poor but I put this down to him trying to fix our attack by himself

I think an upturn in McSanes form improves our attack 1000%

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 24 Jun 2019, 19:35

init wrote:Got to admit flow has a point...we are making the metres our front n second row are not the issue.

Mcshane is a big problem his lack of form is killing us because of this we are relying on Trueman and Rankin.

Trueman has lost form and confidence....the huge mistake DP is making is persisting with him..he needs a break to much pressure on him and he is not good enough(yet?) to cope

Rankin is no organiser either...no voice.

Without McShanes form to drive our attack we are a final 20m damp sqib.

Matautia is also an issue his link up play is exceptionally poor but I put this down to him trying to fix our attack by himself

I think an upturn in McSanes form improves our attack 1000%
correct there's now other reason for most attacks finishing like a bad training day planned move. chase blair might as well stopped at home with service is getting off the halves we still don't if hes a good signing or bad, ball stops when gets to trueman most planned moves .

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 24 Jun 2019, 19:36

Fryston Tiger wrote:Jay Pitts to be coming back up North.....could he be one coming to Cas....report says close to his West Yorkshire home?
Lad I train with at the gym says he’s off to Wakefield (he is a Trin supporter mind)

Fryston Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Fryston Tiger » 24 Jun 2019, 19:42

Fumper27 wrote:
Fryston Tiger wrote:Jay Pitts to be coming back up North.....could he be one coming to Cas....report says close to his West Yorkshire home?
Lad I train with at the gym says he’s off to Wakefield (he is a Trin supporter mind)
Sounds feasable....they're offloading Pauli Pauli n Huby is retiring....

Jonny1975
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Jonny1975 » 24 Jun 2019, 19:43

Found myself agreeing with Flow twice this month now, hes on the money, theres nothing wrong with our pack, decent defence and makes good metres, I'm not sure what games Fumper has been watching this season. The 6 n 7 are the problem are the head scratcher this season, no direction , no drive, no creativity, no idea, and until something clicks, they'll be no top 5.