Who else do we need?

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Who else do we need?

Post by Scoopage » 17 Apr 2019, 01:30

lurcher wrote:
dettoriman wrote:It's irrelevant what we need. We won't be signing anyone else of huge quality. And I would rather not waste our time signing squad players and put some faith in the youth set up.

In an ideal world.

We need David Fifita. Tom Johnstone both who are now tied to long deals at Wakey.

As well as a ball playing top quality back rower/loose. In the Ben Currie mould.

And get shot of Rankin and Ellis and sign Jackson Hastings as Luke Gales replacement long term

We aren't gonna get them. Or anything close to that quality.

We've just made a huge song and dance about someone who's been playing reserve grade in Aus lately.
and you know this? no you don't and i'm telling you you will be surprised.
Someone else in the pipeline lurcher?

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 17 Apr 2019, 07:52

RonnieGibbs'forearm wrote:
fords wrote:
Casmoley wrote:
SREGITSAC wrote:Very good honest interview with Wells on Tigers TV about recruitment and the process they are going through looking at requirements up to 2022

You wouldn’t like to be minikin or Egodo listening to that interview. Can’t see much of a future at Cas for either.
What's been said like ?
Wells says Blair is the new starting centre. He has not come to bring competition for places.
I should hope so too.

Egodo and Aston will go. That will leave us with Eden, Clare, Minikin and Gill for the wings assuming we keep the latter 2 beyond this year.

Be nice to have a top class right winger too though
Last edited by fords on 17 Apr 2019, 07:54, edited 1 time in total.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 17 Apr 2019, 07:53

dettoriman wrote:It's irrelevant what we need. We won't be signing anyone else of huge quality. And I would rather not waste our time signing squad players and put some faith in the youth set up.

In an ideal world.

We need David Fifita. Tom Johnstone both who are now tied to long deals at Wakey.

As well as a ball playing top quality back rower/loose. In the Ben Currie mould.

And get shot of Rankin and Ellis and sign Jackson Hastings as Luke Gales replacement long term

We've just made a huge song and dance about someone who's been playing reserve grade in Aus lately.
"As well as a ball playing top quality back rower/loose"

Really we have 6 backrowers already, how many more do you want ?

Milner and Massey play 13

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 17 Apr 2019, 07:54

lurcher wrote:

In an ideal world.

Sounds like somebody knows something :-k :-k

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 17 Apr 2019, 08:02

Tigerade wrote:It's a bit like fantasy football on here. "Get rid of Mr X and sign Mr Z". "We need 3 more players" blah.blah.blah.

There's something called the salary cap in rugby league that prevents you from having a shopping list of players. Time for a few supporters to get in the real world.
I think at least one more good player will come in with gale back and players who were just not good enough gone the squad we will have for the 2020 season should be very strong indeed
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

dettoriman
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: Dettoriman

Post by dettoriman » 17 Apr 2019, 11:46

fords wrote:

In an ideal world.

"As well as a ball playing top quality back rower/loose"

Really we have 6 backrowers already, how many more do you want ?

Milner and Massey play 13
I want a 13. Not a player filling in there.

As mentioned. A Westerman style player at 13.

And I hope I am wrong about us not getting the right quality. But I doubt we will. They all cost decent money and we are trying to get by on the cheap and signing when that fails. Rather than been pro-active.

I'd say we are 4 players away from been bang favourites to be in a grand final.

We also need to be forward thinking in replacing key players on our team in future years. Plan for Millo. Shenton when they decide to hang up their boots. That's a couple of years away. But get plans in place to replace them.
Loyalty Costs Nothing !

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 17 Apr 2019, 12:05

I’d lose Rankin and bring in Hastings. Play him at 13 (I know that’s controversial) with Gale and Trueman in the halves and see him as Galey’s long-term replacement (though Luke could have a good number of years left).
Alex Walker looks like a great player down at London and he’s out of contract. Can play at full back or on the wing, I’d get him on our right edge and use him as cover at FB if Mata’utia gets injured or we need Mata’utia to cover either Blair or Shenton in the centres.
Ruthless I know, but Minikin can go for me now we have Blair.

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 17 Apr 2019, 12:11

fords wrote:
lurcher wrote:

In an ideal world.

Sounds like somebody knows something :-k :-k
Powell hasn't used the loose as a ball player. Just uses as an extra prop or second rower.
He uses Watts and Millo as make shift alternating pivots more than anyone like Massey, Jesse, Foster etc who have played loose.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 17 Apr 2019, 12:16

nottinghamtiger wrote:I’d lose Rankin and bring in Hastings. Play him at 13 (I know that’s controversial) with Gale and Trueman in the halves and see him as Galey’s long-term replacement (though Luke could have a good number of years left).
Alex Walker looks like a great player down at London and he’s out of contract. Can play at full back or on the wing, I’d get him on our right edge and use him as cover at FB if Mata’utia gets injured or we need Mata’utia to cover either Blair or Shenton in the centres.
Ruthless I know, but Minikin can go for me now we have Blair.
Agree on Walker he as a touch of class could be anything in the game in the years ahead
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

westyorkylad
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westyorkylad » 17 Apr 2019, 12:37

The fact is that in the modern game of RL the loose forward is little more than another prop, I cannot see this changing in the near future with the reduction of interchanges.

The 'play' comes from the 4 x pivots which are the fullback, stand off, scrum half and hooker.

This is not a system that is particular to Cas its basically how all teams operate in the RL of today.

The only team that really bucks this system is Wigan with O'Loughlin, but then love him or loathe him the guy is a freak and runs and tackles like a prop but also fills in regularly as another pivot.

All the forwards, or at least most of them now get involved in link up plays, but it is the Pivots who dictate the play.

Joe Westerman and Currie at Wire are examples of forwards who excel in this role and occasionally go beyond it, they are in the minority for sure.

Asking for halfbacks etc to be played at Loose so you have 5 pivots, with the current number of interchanges allowed would seriously restrict a teams ability to dominate the middle of the park, and as I am sure we all appreciate if you are not in the ascendancy in the middle, then it doesn't matter how good your pivots are you are going to be on the back foot.........

Just my 10 pence worth for what its worth :-"

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 17 Apr 2019, 12:39

How many actual 13s playing 13?

Saints line up with Knowles (who is a prop), Warrington with Hughes last week (who is a back rower).

There's only two genuine looses in the comp left - Westerman and O'Loughlin. Playing with this set-up got us to a Grand Final. We don't need dramatic changes, just key recruits in certain areas.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 17 Apr 2019, 13:01

westyorkylad wrote:The fact is that in the modern game of RL the loose forward is little more than another prop, I cannot see this changing in the near future with the reduction of interchanges.

The 'play' comes from the 4 x pivots which are the fullback, stand off, scrum half and hooker.

This is not a system that is particular to Cas its basically how all teams operate in the RL of today.

The only team that really bucks this system is Wigan with O'Loughlin, but then love him or loathe him the guy is a freak and runs and tackles like a prop but also fills in regularly as another pivot.

All the forwards, or at least most of them now get involved in link up plays, but it is the Pivots who dictate the play.

Joe Westerman and Currie at Wire are examples of forwards who excel in this role and occasionally go beyond it, they are in the minority for sure.

Asking for halfbacks etc to be played at Loose so you have 5 pivots, with the current number of interchanges allowed would seriously restrict a teams ability to dominate the middle of the park, and as I am sure we all appreciate if you are not in the ascendancy in the middle, then it doesn't matter how good your pivots are you are going to be on the back foot.........

The best teams and coaches progress the way the game is played.

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 17 Apr 2019, 14:03

nottinghamtiger wrote:
westyorkylad wrote:The fact is that in the modern game of RL the loose forward is little more than another prop, I cannot see this changing in the near future with the reduction of interchanges.

The best teams and coaches progress the way the game is played.
I somewhat agree with that, just because everyone sets up a certain way is because everyone has a similar blueprint. You go back probably 25 years when Aus started the umbrella defence and we had always just numbered off, changed the game, everyone did it for a while, then there was units for a while and now we are numbering off long and short side pretty much again.
Depending on your personnel, you can set up differently and move the game along, trends change.

Because defending has got a lot better and more organised, I do think there will be more mobility in attack and have to be more creative to get on outside shoulders or through the line, it might well bring back more classic loose forward play, with a loose and a fullback able to join the shape at either side.

Who do we need? I think we are throwing the baby out with the bathwater a bit at the minute, I don't think we can make a shopping list until we have bodies back and playing fully fit. My biggest worry at the moment is MIllo, if he is unravelling that is a huge space to fill and one you can't buy. Millo took 14 months with injury and adjustment and since that first season has been immense; as I said on another thread, you can't buy leadership, that comes with time.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 17 Apr 2019, 14:17

HuddsTigers wrote:How many actual 13s playing 13?

Saints line up with Knowles (who is a prop), Warrington with Hughes last week (who is a back rower).

There's only two genuine looses in the comp left - Westerman and O'Loughlin. Playing with this set-up got us to a Grand Final. We don't need dramatic changes, just key recruits in certain areas.
The last true 13 we had was Nikau in my opinion. What a lot of us, including me, class as a loose just don't exist too much in the game these days unfortunately.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 17 Apr 2019, 14:33

derbystiger wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:How many actual 13s playing 13?

The last true 13 we had was Nikau in my opinion. What a lot of us, including me, class as a loose just don't exist too much in the game these days unfortunately.
Vowles. Whilst known for his defence, his short passing game on both edges was very strong and that flat long-range bullet-pass he could produce to the left was as good as I’ve seen.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 17 Apr 2019, 14:34

Think we missed a trick last season when Milner was indecisive over a new contract, we could have let him go and with Westy struggling to find a club, brought him in on the cheap.
He would go pretty well in our structures at loose.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 17 Apr 2019, 15:08

Sharlotiger wrote:Think we missed a trick last season when Milner was indecisive over a new contract, we could have let him go and with Westy struggling to find a club, brought him in on the cheap.
He would go pretty well in our structures at loose.
Westy is on a pretty decent wage at FC. More than I imagine he'd get at Cas.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 17 Apr 2019, 15:34

He wasn't when he went there. Westy had to prove his worth again.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 17 Apr 2019, 15:38

Westerman and Watts in the same environment on a daily basis is not a good idea.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 17 Apr 2019, 15:53

nottinghamtiger wrote:Westerman and Watts in the same environment on a daily basis is not a good idea.
Times change.
Could be absolutely fantastic under Daryl. ANd enjoy a pint.
Audacter Et Sincere