Who else do we need?

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Who else do we need?

Post by Sharlotiger » 17 Apr 2019, 14:34

Think we missed a trick last season when Milner was indecisive over a new contract, we could have let him go and with Westy struggling to find a club, brought him in on the cheap.
He would go pretty well in our structures at loose.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 17 Apr 2019, 15:08

Sharlotiger wrote:Think we missed a trick last season when Milner was indecisive over a new contract, we could have let him go and with Westy struggling to find a club, brought him in on the cheap.
He would go pretty well in our structures at loose.
Westy is on a pretty decent wage at FC. More than I imagine he'd get at Cas.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 17 Apr 2019, 15:34

He wasn't when he went there. Westy had to prove his worth again.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 17 Apr 2019, 15:38

Westerman and Watts in the same environment on a daily basis is not a good idea.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 17 Apr 2019, 15:53

nottinghamtiger wrote:Westerman and Watts in the same environment on a daily basis is not a good idea.
Times change.
Could be absolutely fantastic under Daryl. ANd enjoy a pint.
Audacter Et Sincere

dettoriman
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: Dettoriman

Post by dettoriman » 17 Apr 2019, 20:10

nottinghamtiger wrote:Westerman and Watts in the same environment on a daily basis is not a good idea.
Not doing Wattsy any harm.

And he's still got a life outside of Rugby. People mature. Wattsy certainly has over the years
Loyalty Costs Nothing !

takethetwo
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by takethetwo » 17 Apr 2019, 20:13

dettoriman wrote:
Not doing Wattsy any harm.

And he's still got a life outside of Rugby. People mature. Wattsy certainly has over the years
There pretty much family now, and I see Wattsy regularly in the Hope And Anchor and he has always behaved himself. Normally 3/4 beers and a game of cards then home. Still wouldn't risk it though :lol:

Keithy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Keithy » 17 Apr 2019, 22:41

Maybe bring Richard Owen back as well. Oh and how about Rangi, we'd be ok for the Christmas Party. :D

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 18 Apr 2019, 07:59

if Joe Westerman has at last grown up, I would have him back the lad is still a very good rugby league player,

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 18 Apr 2019, 08:15

They still knock about daily. Wattsy is engaged to Westermans sister.

westyorkylad
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westyorkylad » 18 Apr 2019, 12:25

mdean wrote:
nottinghamtiger wrote:
westyorkylad wrote:The fact is that in the modern game of RL the loose forward is little more than another prop, I cannot see this changing in the near future with the reduction of interchanges.

The 'play' comes from the 4 x pivots which are the fullback, stand off, scrum half and hooker.

This is not a system that is particular to Cas its basically how all teams operate in the RL of today.

The only team that really bucks this system is Wigan with O'Loughlin, but then love him or loathe him the guy is a freak and runs and tackles like a prop but also fills in regularly as another pivot.

All the forwards, or at least most of them now get involved in link up plays, but it is the Pivots who dictate the play.

Joe Westerman and Currie at Wire are examples of forwards who excel in this role and occasionally go beyond it, they are in the minority for sure.

Asking for halfbacks etc to be played at Loose so you have 5 pivots, with the current number of interchanges allowed would seriously restrict a teams ability to dominate the middle of the park, and as I am sure we all appreciate if you are not in the ascendancy in the middle, then it doesn't matter how good your pivots are you are going to be on the back foot.........

Just my 10 pence worth for what its worth :-"
The best teams and coaches progress the way the game is played.
I somewhat agree with that, just because everyone sets up a certain way is because everyone has a similar blueprint. You go back probably 25 years when Aus started the umbrella defence and we had always just numbered off, changed the game, everyone did it for a while, then there was units for a while and now we are numbering off long and short side pretty much again.
Depending on your personnel, you can set up differently and move the game along, trends change.

Because defending has got a lot better and more organised, I do think there will be more mobility in attack and have to be more creative to get on outside shoulders or through the line, it might well bring back more classic loose forward play, with a loose and a fullback able to join the shape at either side.

Who do we need? I think we are throwing the baby out with the bathwater a bit at the minute, I don't think we can make a shopping list until we have bodies back and playing fully fit. My biggest worry at the moment is MIllo, if he is unravelling that is a huge space to fill and one you can't buy. Millo took 14 months with injury and adjustment and since that first season has been immense; as I said on another thread, you can't buy leadership, that comes with time.
Don't disagree with the points you make, however I guess the point I am making albeit in a long winded kind of way lol, is that I don't see a return to a ball playing loose forward happening any time soon, as the benefit of an additional pivot (going from 4 to 5) is I feel outweighed by the extra work you would be asking the 4 remaining forwards to do in both attack but especially defence.

As ever only my humble opinion :)

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 18 Apr 2019, 13:05

We are all just sharing our own humble opinions mate, shall we call each other names and be outraged now! That is how it usually goes when people don't exactly agree on a forum!

westyorkylad
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westyorkylad » 19 Apr 2019, 12:35

mdean wrote:We are all just sharing our own humble opinions mate, shall we call each other names and be outraged now! That is how it usually goes when people don't exactly agree on a forum!
Haha yeah think you've called it there pal :lol:

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 19 Apr 2019, 12:39

You’re just both rose tinted naysayers. :D
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!