First loss - no big deal

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
StevieTheTV
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: First loss - no big deal

Post by StevieTheTV » 08 Mar 2019, 08:43

I thought we looked alot more balanced once Egodo came on and apart from a couple of small errors, he looked good.

Minikin looked more of a threat on the wing. Watts and McShane were immense all night. O'Neill looks very good but again another small error. We bombed 2 tries that could of swung the game at both points.

Overall, im disappointed but its not the end of the world. Saints Warrington and Us are the best three teams in the division from what Ive seen. We seems to be playing more of our 2017 brand of rugby this year which is nice to see.
Tigers for Life! Not just for SuperLeague!!

Tawera Nikau = Legend

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 08 Mar 2019, 08:48

Agree on watts and mcshane outstanding both should walk into next England squad
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Tiger53
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tiger53 » 08 Mar 2019, 09:18

In the absence of any changes to the threequarter line-up I would have thought that it may be worth thinking about Minikin and Shenton swapping centres. May help Clare defensively. Just a thought.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 08 Mar 2019, 09:21

Mucky1978 wrote:Roberts finished iv heard tonight.
Does that make quota space for Gelling or somebody else that can play centre ?

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 08 Mar 2019, 09:23

Mucky1978 wrote:Roberts finished iv heard tonight.
Cant we bring Lineham in early, you said we have signed him for 2020

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 08 Mar 2019, 09:34

I don't go with signing lineman you want speed on the wings I don't think this lad offers that

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 08 Mar 2019, 09:43

Tiger53 wrote:In the absence of any changes to the threequarter line-up I would have thought that it may be worth thinking about Minikin and Shenton swapping centres. May help Clare defensively. Just a thought.
Wouldn't help Minikin defensively though
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 08 Mar 2019, 09:59

gateman wrote:I don't go with signing lineman you want speed on the wings I don't think this lad offers that
Too late according to Mucky1978

Id have him over clare everyday of the week.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 08 Mar 2019, 09:59

If lineham as signed, personally I hope not, does that mean minikin stays in the center, because for the life of me he’s no center, he’s a ready made winger imo. Yes bring gelling in at center and put minikin back we’re he looks more comfortable.

Black n Amber
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Black n Amber » 08 Mar 2019, 10:11

gateman wrote:I don't go with signing lineman you want speed on the wings I don't think this lad offers that
We had speed on the wings, he was told he was surplus to requirements and is currently rotting away in a poor Bulls side, our 3/4 line is one of the worst in the competition, was always going to be the downfall when we come up against top operators such as Warrington and Saints

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by the machine » 08 Mar 2019, 10:21

Don't understand this obsession with gelling all of a sudden

Good player but won't be the savior some people are making him out to be
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 08 Mar 2019, 10:27

the machine wrote:Don't understand this obsession with gelling all of a sudden

Is there anyone else out there machine.
Decent centres are few and far between.
I’ve seen inu mentioned, would he be any better.

SeniorMoors

Post by SeniorMoors » 08 Mar 2019, 10:33

Agreed - no big deal.
The way Powell criticised Clare after the game makes me think there’s a new signing on the way. Everyone knows our right edge is our weak point - firm that up and we’ve got a chance of silverware this season.

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by the machine » 08 Mar 2019, 10:39

He didn't single out Clare, he said the right edge, it was just easier to bring Clare off last night with the bench options

Michael Jordan

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by the machine » 08 Mar 2019, 10:42

old cas lass wrote:
the machine wrote:Don't understand this obsession with gelling all of a sudden

Is there anyone else out there machine.
Decent centres are few and far between.
I’ve seen inu mentioned, would he be any better.
Imo no, he's lazy and looks uninterested most of the time, not sure that kind of attitude would work under Powell

I'd imagine it will be a case of we try and improve the current options we have right now(extra training on defence etc) and we make a signing for next season when we have the bigger cap space available

Michael Jordan

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 08 Mar 2019, 11:46

Due to work i only managed to watch the last 20 minutes,reasonably encouraged with what i saw, i had to keep checking if the score was right and Nathan Massey had suddenly morphed into Shane Webcke :)

Then i saw the tries we conceded earlier in the game. Pretty clear we cant play Clare & Minikin together now, they don't gel as a defensive unit...some combo's work well,some don't. Who knows how things would have looked down that right side had Garry Lo behaved himself. [-X

If we have to make do id go with Foster,he won't let anyone down,while not an out & out centre teams have won pots in a similar fashion, Leeds won things with Carl Ablett as a starting centre!

If the rumours that Ben Roberts is taking the mick is true,then Jon Wells has a law degree doesn't he?,he should be going through that contract with a fine tooth comb .

SeniorMoors

Post by SeniorMoors » 08 Mar 2019, 12:09

the machine wrote:He didn't single out Clare, he said the right edge, it was just easier to bring Clare off last night with the bench options
He did a bit in the presser. He said: ‘I took James Clare off at half time as I don’t think his decision making was good enough and I thought some of the tries could have been stopped. So there’s an issue there. I’m not just blaming one player but I needed to make a change there.’

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by the machine » 08 Mar 2019, 12:11

SeniorMoors wrote:
the machine wrote:He didn't single out Clare, he said the right edge, it was just easier to bring Clare off last night with the bench options
He did a bit in the presser. He said: ‘I took James Clare off at half time as I don’t think his decision making was good enough and I thought some of the tries could have been stopped. So there’s an issue there. I’m not just blaming one player but I needed to make a change there.’
Ah fair enough, my apologies then, only seen the sky interview

Michael Jordan

Oldcasman
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Oldcasman » 08 Mar 2019, 12:56

duke street 10 wrote:Due to work i only managed to watch the last 20 minutes,reasonably encouraged with what i saw, i had to keep checking if the score was right and Nathan Massey had suddenly morphed into Shane Webcke :)

Then i saw the tries we conceded earlier in the game. Pretty clear we cant play Clare & Minikin together now, they don't gel as a defensive unit...some combo's work well,some don't. Who knows how things would have looked down that right side had Garry Lo behaved himself. [-X

If we have to make do id go with Foster,he won't let anyone down,while not an out & out centre teams have won pots in a similar fashion, Leeds won things with Carl Ablett as a starting centre!

If the rumours that Ben Roberts is taking the mick is true,then Jon Wells has a law degree doesn't he?,he should be going through that contract with a fine tooth comb .
What are the rumours about Ben Roberts ? If you don’t want to answer me on here please PM me

Hepworth7
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Hepworth7 » 08 Mar 2019, 12:59

Like so many others on here I wasn't dejected by last night's defeat,to be honest I expected it given the lack of fit players and the absence of Millo,and while Warrington were the better side two pivotal points changed the game and left me feeling the score flattered the Wires.Mcshane putting the ball down effectively in the act of scoring cost us,and then at the other end the referees decision that Massey had played at the ball on his own line was just plain ludicrous,Warrington scored on the next set. I don't think we would have won even had those things gone in our favour,our bench just didn't have the quality to match theirs,but as the cliche goes "it's a game of small margins. I felt we dominated the first quarter and even in the last we fronted up in what had the potential to turn into a rout. We weren't at our best,and were never going to be. It wasn't Trumans best game and Rankin was fairly anonymous,the bench tightened up up defensively once Clare was taken off,while someone needs to have a word with Watts,brilliant though I think he is off loading on the first tackle under your opponents sticks,well DP face said it all. Young O'neill was full of effort and even getting mugged by Charnley didn't affect him too badly,lesson learnt. Hopefully we'll live and learn from that performance and changes will be made when players become available. I still think we need to strengthen but that's for better brains than mine as to where.