Rankin

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Rankin

Post by KB80 » 11 Jan 2019, 23:04

braytontiger wrote:Well he is a cas player so he gets my full support,fully understand the logic in bringing in a utility back that gives us plenty of options to rotate and keep players on their toes.

Do I see him as a cas style half back! No not for me as I feel we are missing an half that can kick a team to death when we go into an arm wrestle.

That said I've 100% faith in the coaches that we will get the best out of him. We've still got the gale money to fall back on too which is a added bonus to this deal and it also looks odds on that clarkson will take up wardle's role so good business from the club.
In my opinion we lack a good support player, from what I've seen he can tick that box. Get on the shoulders of Watts, Moors, Mcmeeken, Milli and co.

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 11 Jan 2019, 23:23

KB80 wrote:
braytontiger wrote:Well he is a cas player so he gets my full support,fully understand the logic in bringing in a utility back that gives us plenty of options to rotate and keep players on their toes.

Do I see him as a cas style half back! No not for me as I feel we are missing an half that can kick a team to death when we go into an arm wrestle.

That said I've 100% faith in the coaches that we will get the best out of him. We've still got the gale money to fall back on too which is a added bonus to this deal and it also looks odds on that clarkson will take up wardle's role so good business from the club.
In my opinion we lack a good support player, from what I've seen he can tick that box. Get on the shoulders of Watts, Moors, Mcmeeken, Milli and co.
Agree with that. He is a bit off the cuff which will suit us. My concern is the bread and butter of an half back in leading us around the field and finishing sets well. He never really played in the halves for Huddersfield so it's hard to judge but even with Brough gone he was only 4th choice at the Giants,like I've said before he adds great utility value and gives us option all over the backline.

Hepworth7
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Hepworth7 » 12 Jan 2019, 00:27

A good signing offering cover in a couple of areas,also capable of place kicking if needed. Will still be hoping we see a half back with a bit more pace to compliment Truman.

KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Post by KB80 » 12 Jan 2019, 00:29

(In response to Braytontigers post, didnt press quote!)
Possibly. That been said, Roberts isnt a lead you round the half back and when not injured he and Gale worked well. I think if we are to do well next year leading us round the park and finishing sets may be on Trueman shoulders.

To be honest once we get Ellis and /or Roberts back (assuming they are injured). I could see Rankin at full back. Excluding last season our 3 most played full backs have been Tansey, Dorn and Hardaker. All 3 liked to back up breaks and I'd suggest was one of the stronger parts of each of their games. Eden can do so and was signed as a full back initially too. Strikes me it's something DP likes in a full back. I'm not sure PM has that in his game but would certainly slot in as a powerful (Webster esq) centre.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 12 Jan 2019, 08:45

hopefully RanKin will be more durable than Benny as been since we have had him,whats the odds after his week in the sun Benny he will be seen limping round the supermarket or sat in the stand when he returns

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 12 Jan 2019, 11:15

braytontiger wrote:
KB80 wrote:

Agree with that. He is a bit off the cuff which will suit us. My concern is the bread and butter of an half back in leading us around the field and finishing sets well. He never really played in the halves for Huddersfield so it's hard to judge but even with Brough gone he was only 4th choice at the Giants,like I've said before he adds great utility value and gives us option all over the backline.
Where did he play most for Huddersfield ?

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 12 Jan 2019, 11:16

" I feel we are missing an half that can kick a team to death when we go into an arm wrestle."

Erm Trueman has a great kicking game and Ellis is not too bad to be fair (knows what to do when)

betts21
League One Player
League One Player

Post by betts21 » 12 Jan 2019, 11:27

Truman probably has the second best after gale. Roberts is hot and cold same with Ellis we miss zip and spark at times without gale and that's something that ranking brings every game and tbf he can stick a decent bomb up. I think we will see the best out of him he's always show a good will to win and to try get the teams he's played for going might just be another perfect swap deal like macca was

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 12 Jan 2019, 11:34

fords wrote:
braytontiger wrote:
KB80 wrote:

Where did he play most for Huddersfield ?
He played wing, full bk, centre or bench he was switched all over place did play half back a few time though.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

The Firm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by The Firm » 12 Jan 2019, 12:24

They started with him at halfback last year but it wasn’t working, he looked much better when he switched to fullback. He says halfback is his favourite position but for me fullback is his best role. The way we play the fullback plays as an extra half in attack anyway so he can still use his skills there without any organising of the attack. Peanut can easily slot in at centre, a position he has played plenty of previously. Trueman will have to step up there alongside Roberts or Ellis unless we can find an English replacement for Gale, which won’t be easy unless we are willing to splash the cash.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 12 Jan 2019, 12:30

Vowlesy has said he’s a good player & bloke and to back him.
That is just the type we want at our club. Just what DP & JW, DO & RS are trying to continue fostering.

ITS A DAMN SIGHT BETTER THAN A DISRESPECTFUL PLAYER WITH AN ATTITUDE PROBLEM.

Clarkson is an honest and hardworking forward, with an offload and decent pair of hands and feet (thinking back to the middle 8’s play off i recall an excellent play from CC)

All in all we’re better off.

What we also haven’t taken into consideration is the Powell & Cas way. It can bring a player out & on.

What I’m extremely happy about is that we have cover / options at full back now and don’t need to use Roberts and Eden.

And we have £100k+ on the cap which puts us in the driving seat for a cracking new player, who, we could have .
** AS WELL AS GALE ** because Roberts will be off the wage bill at the end of the season.

Smart business IMO.
Audacter Et Sincere

Captain
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Captain » 12 Jan 2019, 13:25

Mysterio wrote:
What I’m extremely happy about is that we have cover / options at full back now and don’t need to use Roberts and Eden.

And we have £100k+ on the cap which puts us in the driving seat for a cracking new player, who, we could have .
** AS WELL AS GALE ** because Roberts will be off the wage bill at the end of the season.

Smart business IMO.
This is the bit that stands out for me. We now have decent cover across all positions. I also think we're saving the Gale money IF someone becomes available, but then we can offer a contract rather a season because we know we'll be freeing up Robert's wage next season.

True-supporter
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by True-supporter » 12 Jan 2019, 13:40

You are forgetting we do not have gale, the player coming in is no better than a mediocre so how can you feel better.

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 12 Jan 2019, 15:13

True-supporter wrote:You are forgetting we do not have gale, the player coming in is no better than a mediocre so how can you feel better.
Why - Who is coming in to replace Gale ?

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 12 Jan 2019, 15:15

Captain wrote:This is the bit that stands out for me. We now have decent cover across all positions. I also think we're saving the Gale money IF someone becomes available, but then we can offer a contract rather a season because we know we'll be freeing up Robert's wage next season.
I think Warrington did something similar with Ben Currie last year. De-registered him and waited. They eventually got Josh Charnley from RU.

thedogvinnie
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by thedogvinnie » 13 Jan 2019, 09:58

braytontiger wrote:
KB80 wrote:

The difference is that Rankin is now being coached by the top dog, If its in the player, DP will get it out

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 13 Jan 2019, 10:52

thedogvinnie wrote:
braytontiger wrote:
KB80 wrote:

The difference is that Rankin is now being coached by the top dog, If its in the player, DP will get it out
Agree. Also, in time, I could see Rankin playing full back for us as a running / third half, just as Hardaker did in 2017, with PM moving into the centres.

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 13 Jan 2019, 11:02

So far replacements for last years departees
Clarkson for Wardle
Rankin for Hitchcox
Would now like a centre to replace Webster
And a half back to replace Gale (injury not departed)
Would be good if we could get those last 2 for Gales wage.

johnson
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by johnson » 13 Jan 2019, 12:16

Fumper27 wrote:
johnson wrote:Wants to play for cas so gets my vote - welcome to the tigers Jordan.
Hardly gonna come to Cas and say otherwise though, is he?
Wardle made no secret of the fact that he wanted out - jordan still gets my vote over a pretentious snob any day.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 13 Jan 2019, 12:25

I have just watched a 10 minute clip on youtube I know it shows a players good points but viewing this. He looks like he will do a good job for CAS