Next Year's Squad

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Fumper27
Michael Eagar
Posts: 4964
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:10 am

Re: Next Year's Squad

Post by Fumper27 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:31 pm

heritage1926 wrote:4 times last year we couldn't cope with Saints, in fact we didn't get anywhere near them. They have strengthened once again. How is the same squad as last year, meant to be able to compete with them again, when they're getting stronger? it can't happen surely?
Have they got stronger or have they replaced like for like???

fords
Luke Gale
Posts: 3498
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 8:40 am

Re: Next Year's Squad

Post by fords » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:13 pm

Fumper27 wrote:
heritage1926 wrote:4 times last year we couldn't cope with Saints, in fact we didn't get anywhere near them. They have strengthened once again. How is the same squad as last year, meant to be able to compete with them again, when they're getting stronger? it can't happen surely?
Have they got stronger or have they replaced like for like???
Even if Saints are like for like. Other teams have so will be much more difficult in 2019.

And our back line must be about 8th best out of 12 teams for next year.

DP can only do so much

heritage1926
Danny Orr
Posts: 1457
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:27 pm

Re: Next Year's Squad

Post by heritage1926 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:14 pm

Fumper27 wrote:
heritage1926 wrote:4 times last year we couldn't cope with Saints, in fact we didn't get anywhere near them. They have strengthened once again. How is the same squad as last year, meant to be able to compete with them again, when they're getting stronger? it can't happen surely?
Have they got stronger or have they replaced like for like???
You could argue Barba is slightly better than Coote, but end of the day, both are NRL Premiership winners, so he certainly has pedigree. Naiqama is definitely an upgrade on Morgan. Walmsley will be like a new signing for them too, he'll be back fitter and stronger. They've also signed Joseph Paulo from Cronulla who's solid and young Joe Batchelor from York who is an up and coming star. They've firepower everywhere.

gateman
Danny Orr
Posts: 2902
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:40 pm

Re: Next Year's Squad

Post by gateman » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:22 pm

patience is the key how many top class centres is there available ?? I am one who would hang fire till one comes available that's going to complement our squad to sign a centre for the sake of it would be folly ,

TT Tiger
Danny Orr
Posts: 2193
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:02 pm

Re: Next Year's Squad

Post by TT Tiger » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:38 pm

We all know the season isn’t won in February I’m hoping we make 2 good mid season signings as good as peanut and watts. If one of those is a centre watch this space also if Gale and Truman stay fit all season I think we could be there or there about a anyway.

User avatar
jackknife
Luke Gale
Posts: 3431
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: york

Re: Next Year's Squad

Post by jackknife » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:01 pm

At the end of the day there might not it be any centres available for the right money or contract length that DP is happy with and hes not willing to pay more than a player is worth or offer a long contract to someone he doesn't think is worth it.

He'll know we need a centre but isn't going to panic into signing the wrong player, he will be monitoring any unhappy centres and waiting for an opportunity to recruit them if they become available.
Image

CLASSY CAS FOREVER

Sharlotiger
Danny Orr
Posts: 1165
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: WAKEFIELD

Re: Next Year's Squad

Post by Sharlotiger » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:22 pm

jackknife wrote:At the end of the day there might not it be any centres available for the right money or contract length that DP is happy with and hes not willing to pay more than a player is worth or offer a long contract to someone he doesn't think is worth it.

He'll know we need a centre but isn't going to panic into signing the wrong player, he will be monitoring any unhappy centres and waiting for an opportunity to recruit them if they become available.
Looks like DP was quite happy to overpay several lads with their contract renewals to leave us so little in the pot to bring anyone else in.

We knew early days Webster would be leaving and it seems crazy we didn't have someone else lined up ready to step in. Now having a football manager surely we should expect better of our recruitment policy .

cogito ergo sum
Danny Orr
Posts: 1199
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:47 am

Re: Next Year's Squad

Post by cogito ergo sum » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:58 pm

Sharlotiger wrote:
jackknife wrote:At the end of the day there might not it be any centres available for the right money or contract length that DP is happy with and hes not willing to pay more than a player is worth or offer a long contract to someone he doesn't think is worth it.

He'll know we need a centre but isn't going to panic into signing the wrong player, he will be monitoring any unhappy centres and waiting for an opportunity to recruit them if they become available.
Looks like DP was quite happy to overpay several lads with their contract renewals to leave us so little in the pot to bring anyone else in.

We knew early days Webster would be leaving and it seems crazy we didn't have someone else lined up ready to step in. Now having a football manager surely we should expect better of our recruitment policy .
Fans on this forum were crying out to tie up our good players longer term. It was said that in the past we couldn't keep them, the big fish were circling etc etc. Now some fans aren't happy.
All the years we craved some success, get it under DP, no the moaners out again.

HuddsTigers
Malcolm Reilly
Posts: 15261
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:55 am

Re: Next Year's Squad

Post by HuddsTigers » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:16 pm

Not being privy to inside negotiations but did we know early on Webster was leaving? My own opinion is that he started out as our starting centre based on how good he's been recent years and as the year went on, cracks started to show and a mutual decision was made.

I'd be surprised if he wasn't on a lower contract given his age anyway and the fact he's been on one year deals. Maybe that's the money still left in the pot for a squad player that was spoken about?
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

tigerfeat
Dale Fritz
Posts: 7595
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:07 pm

Re: Next Year's Squad

Post by tigerfeat » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:29 pm

Jon wells better have a sturdy tin helmet to hand if he announces a squad player in next few days ;)
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Malcolm Reilly
Posts: 15261
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:55 am

Re: Next Year's Squad

Post by HuddsTigers » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:35 pm

tigerfeat wrote:Jon wells better have a sturdy tin helmet to hand if he announces a squad player in next few days ;)
Project signing ;)
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

User avatar
old cas lass
Malcolm Reilly
Posts: 16535
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:29 pm

Re: Next Year's Squad

Post by old cas lass » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:36 pm

HuddsTigers wrote:
tigerfeat wrote:Jon wells better have a sturdy tin helmet to hand if he announces a squad player in next few days ;)
Project signing ;)
Bloody hell.

baldtiger
Dean Widders
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:31 pm

Re: Next Year's Squad

Post by baldtiger » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:37 pm

I can't see what the panic is. I've been around for 50 years these last few seasons have been the best for a long time. If dp hasn't gone for anyone as yet then there's a good reason, for me foster was great as a stand in centre last year and would only get better. Don't forget the injury list we had last year and still did a great job . Having said that St's are going to take some beating by any team

SREGITSAC
Junior Moors
Posts: 587
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:31 pm

Re: Next Year's Squad

Post by SREGITSAC » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:40 pm

baldtiger wrote:I can't see what the panic is. I've been around for 50 years these last few seasons have been the best for a long time. If dp hasn't gone for anyone as yet then there's a good reason, for me foster was great as a stand in centre last year and would only get better. Don't forget the injury list we had last year and still did a great job . Having said that St's are going to take some beating by any team
And of course signing “big” players doesn’t guarantee success, teams can recruit really well but unless they play as a unit it’s pointless, ask Salford.

gateman
Danny Orr
Posts: 2902
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:40 pm

Re: Next Year's Squad

Post by gateman » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:33 pm

We have lads on the books who have played centre if we don't intend to give them a go why are they on the books ??, if it had not been for injury's one Jake Trueman would most likely be still waiting his chance

Post Reply