Next Year's Squad

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
John
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Next Year's Squad

Post by John » 07 Nov 2018, 10:31

Im not saying play oneill week in week out but its an option and if you have seen him play you would not be saying dont play him quite the opposit my opinion next best young one to come through

Boom
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Boom » 07 Nov 2018, 10:41

Lofthouse Tiger wrote:So let’s stick with a 4th choice journeyman instead of trying a young kid, as we did with Truenan, because he isn’t tried or tested? How is anyone supposed to be tried and tested when they are not given a chance?

Ellis as a stop gap or young kids that should be the future? We have a great history of promoting young kids. Seems to be a lot slower under DP unless a necessity.
To be fair to Powell we’re a top 4 team because he doesn’t have to play young kids that are nowhere near ready. In the past other coaches haven’t had that luxury.

Trueman is an absolute exception to that and you’re correct he wouldn’t have played as many games last season had it not been for injuries.

Out of our other young players there are only a couple who are anywhere close to SL standard at the moment. We’ve seen Turner who has potential but also has some significant weaknesses which need to be worked on away from SL.

It’s a fine line, but if we’re happy to finish at the lower end of the table let’s throw in more inexperienced, physically undercooked youngsters.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 07 Nov 2018, 11:02

Truey would have been eased into his role but injuries dictated he had to play and it worked out for us. Prior forget our injury list, where we had one junior halfback backed up by someone to fill in. Or a player unfit.

BigBez10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by BigBez10 » 07 Nov 2018, 12:19

Lofthouse Tiger wrote:So let’s stick with a 4th choice journeyman instead of trying a young kid, as we did with Truenan, because he isn’t tried or tested? How is anyone supposed to be tried and tested when they are not given a chance?

Ellis as a stop gap or young kids that should be the future? We have a great history of promoting young kids. Seems to be a lot slower under DP unless a necessity.
Just to be clear, I'm speaking specifically about Ellis's contribution to last season. I'm not saying don't promote youth or that we should go with Ellis moving forward. I just saying in my opinion Ellis proved his worth to the squad last season.

If Powell thinks a player is ready to step up he will play them when the opportunity arises, like with Trueman. The fact that Powell chose to run with Ellis should be enough to prove he believed that to be the better/safer option, which in the long run paid off as we finished third.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 07 Nov 2018, 14:38

RE: Ellis, like many others you have to look at the context of his signing. The length of contract given was surprising but I guess that was done with the intention of seeing him as very much a squad player anyway and to make sure we weren't desperately scrabbling for a new half-back this season. He also probably fills very little in the way of cap space for an experienced and solid player in what is a notoriously expensive position.

My guess is that he was very much a stop-gap signing until we recruited a full-back. We had a 'make do' approach to filling that spot last season hoping that Roberts would fill void until we could recruit that spot. I don't think the club imagined that Trueman would make such a contribution and breakthrough as he did. Ellis would come in until Truey was ready and then take over the spot vacated by Roberts at the end of this year.

The very fact he did now means we have Roberts, Ellis, Gale and Trueman competing for the same spots this season. There's nothing but rumours to suggest that he may be the makeweight in freeing up salary cap but I'd imagine he's now 4th choice this season so it does seem plausible that for the benefit of club and player that he is. To be fair even a loan deal for the season may make sense with him returning to provide cover for Gale and Trueman next year should Roberts leave.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 07 Nov 2018, 14:46

HuddsTigers wrote:RE: Ellis, like many others you have to look at the context of his signing. The length of contract given was surprising but I guess that was done with the intention of seeing him as very much a squad player anyway and to make sure we weren't desperately scrabbling for a new half-back this season. He also probably fills very little in the way of cap space for an experienced and solid player in what is a notoriously expensive position.

My guess is that he was very much a stop-gap signing until we recruited a full-back. We had a 'make do' approach to filling that spot last season hoping that Roberts would fill void until we could recruit that spot. I don't think the club imagined that Trueman would make such a contribution and breakthrough as he did. Ellis would come in until Truey was ready and then take over the spot vacated by Roberts at the end of this year.

The very fact he did now means we have Roberts, Ellis, Gale and Trueman competing for the same spots this season. There's nothing but rumours to suggest that he may be the makeweight in freeing up salary cap but I'd imagine he's now 4th choice this season so it does seem plausible that for the benefit of club and player that he is. To be fair even a loan deal for the season may make sense with him returning to provide cover for Gale and Trueman next year should Roberts leave.
No problem with Ellis he provides good cover as shown last year,as a 3rd/4th choice half you wont find many better elsewhere.the half we should be questioning is Corey Aston who's still yet to play other than in a couple of friendlies one of which he was awful.its signing players like this which hampers young players coming through taking up valuable money and a training spot a youngster should be filling.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 07 Nov 2018, 21:36

Ken Sio

"This signing is an outstanding capture," head coach Ian Watson said.

"Ken is a player who can play full-back, winger and centre and comes with great experience."

And is 28 just what we needed ah well .......

Tigerman2014
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigerman2014 » 07 Nov 2018, 21:56

What are we doing Sio would have been ideal we must have some cap space surely ????

betts21
League One Player
League One Player

Post by betts21 » 07 Nov 2018, 22:20

Sio should have been our main target imo played superleague knows what its about fits exactly what we need. I am pretty concerened that other teams have made some very astute signings and imo our squad has weakened and definatly not gained from a team that did well last year without pulling up any trees i really hope we have a top quality back lined up or imo were in the same mould as last year. We had no fullback or at least proven full back and that really hindered us as what ever we tried didnt really work and now we seem to be doing it in the centre position imo. It may work out but losing jake,jy and qlt for no one to come in as a back up is a big move imo

Tigerman2014
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigerman2014 » 07 Nov 2018, 22:22

If we don’t bring in an outside back before the season starts we will start on the back foot same as last years full back fiasco !!!

The Firm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by The Firm » 07 Nov 2018, 22:54

It’s quite simple the three-quarters must be strengthened otherwise we won’t be contenders. They currently lack the ‘X’ factor needed to take us to the next level and win some silverware. If we don’t take the chance we have now when we are so close we will regret it for years.
Last edited by The Firm on 07 Nov 2018, 23:04, edited 1 time in total.

Tigerman2014
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigerman2014 » 07 Nov 2018, 22:56

There’s plenty of options out there for us that would take us to the next level I just cant believe we’ve spent up if we have when we knew we’d need a fullback and centre we’ve not planned yet again

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 07 Nov 2018, 23:19

Natives are restless...
Tigerade said we'd signed a centre last week but not announced him yet obviously
I for one believe him
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Tigerman2014
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigerman2014 » 07 Nov 2018, 23:22

Hope it is true and we have I know we’ll be competitive but we need to go to the next level now as best we can other teams have strengthend and the league is going to be tighter

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 08 Nov 2018, 07:35

So if we start the season with

Peanut
Clare
Minikin
Shenton
Eden

That to me is fine but if any get injured we're a very weakened side imo
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

betts21
League One Player
League One Player

Post by betts21 » 08 Nov 2018, 10:25

Put that up against
Walker 2x briscoe watkins and and hurrel at leeds
Ratchford lineham charnley king and goodwin at warrington
Coote makinson grace percival nequama at sts
Hardaker davis burgess gildart sarginson at wigan
Id say those 4 all beat ours probs with the exception of leeds they all have better depth too

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 08 Nov 2018, 10:46

jackknife wrote:So if we start the season with

Peanut
Clare
Minikin
Shenton
Eden

That to me is fine but if any get injured we're a very weakened side imo
Hope you are joking if you think this is fine

Tigerman2014
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigerman2014 » 08 Nov 2018, 11:14

It is far from fine that back line there’s no go forward at all at times last year we struggled to get out of our own 20 we need a powerful centre / winger who can get us on front foot

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 08 Nov 2018, 12:13

betts21 wrote:Put that up against
Id say those 4 all beat ours probs with the exception of leeds they all have better depth too
You can add wakefields three quarters to that list and that's a bigger worry

The Firm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by The Firm » 08 Nov 2018, 12:18

braytontiger wrote:
betts21 wrote:Put that up against
You can add wakefields three quarters to that list and that's a bigger worry
You can also add Huddersfield to it. A three-quarter line of McGillivray, Cudjoe, Turner & Uate isn't too shabby at all.