Daryl Powell

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Daryl Powell

Post by lurcher » 06 Oct 2018, 02:42

westerbeast wrote:Get a grip, the players were poor. Was Mc Meeckan even on the field. Bottled it when it counts AGAIN ALL OFF THEM.
mcmeeken took a bad knock from one of his own players early in the 2nd half. did well to stay on the pitch.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 06 Oct 2018, 05:14

It wasn't the coach who was dropping the ball,attempting dumb plays and giving daft penalties away.

drleftie
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by drleftie » 06 Oct 2018, 07:25

Tigersbarmy wrote:I’m sorry to say but has Daryl took us as far as he can ?

Serious question
I think he's gone as far as he can with the current squad of players, yes. Would another coach achieve more with the same squad at the same club? Definitely not.
You can argue about the dream team but the fact is that not a single Cas player has been picked and for a club that has finished 1st & 3rd in the league the last 2 years we have very few internationals. I think DP has this club & squad punching well above its weight & I wouldn't swap him for anyone.

Last night was a real disappointment but in the cold light of day with the injuries we've had & particularly the problems at 1 finishing 3rd has been a great achievement & it's nice to be moaning about a poor semi final performance rather than being the relegation dodgers of a few years ago before DP.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 06 Oct 2018, 07:26

drleftie wrote:

Serious question
I think he's gone as far as he can with the current squad of players, yes. Would another coach achieve more with the same squad at the same club? Definitely not.
You can argue about the dream team but the fact is that not a single Cas player has been picked and for a club that has finished 1st & 3rd in the league the last 2 years we have very few internationals. I think DP has this club & squad punching well above its weight & I wouldn't swap him for anyone.

Last night was a real disappointment but in the cold light of day with the injuries we've had & particularly the problems at 1 finishing 3rd has been a great achievement & it's nice to be moaning about a poor semi final performance rather than being the relegation dodgers of a few years ago before DP.
Great post. Nailed it.

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Swagger » 06 Oct 2018, 08:00

Powell needs to understand the fans are still behind him before any rash decisions are made. Gotta get the word out.

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 06 Oct 2018, 08:10

old cas lass wrote:Daryl needs to demand we stop bringing projects into the club. We need 2 centres 1 winger and a prop. Established.
If not we will drop out of the top 4 next year.

hahaha Daryl is the one that wants the project players, they're all his signings!!!

Nu Shooze
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nu Shooze » 06 Oct 2018, 08:15

SuffolkTiger wrote:
drleftie wrote:

Serious question

My thoughts exactly. It’s a measure of how far we’ve come that our disappointments now are losing a GF and missing out on one; not even a dream befor DP came.

What was clear again though last night, was we are desperately short of a couple of leaders with cool heads in the pressure games.

There are a lot of people calling us bottlers, but I don’t believe that’s the case. Others know how to turn it up a notch in these games and we haven’t got that yet. We still approach it as if it’s a league game and then wonder what’s happened when the wheels come off.

What was disappointing was DP’s insistence that we had learned from last year, when clearly we’ve learned nothing.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 06 Oct 2018, 08:24

Agree with the above too much like last year's grand final we knew how Wigan were going to play theve done the same for the last six or seven years and we never looked like we had a game plan to get over them Powell as rightly earned all the praise since he's being at cas but quite silly if you can't point out a glaring weakness as it's happening every time were in a situation like last night
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

ERG2012
League One Player
League One Player

Post by ERG2012 » 06 Oct 2018, 08:45

DP has stated in his press conference that there has to be a change in approach. He's admitted we have no edge in the psychological battle.

That starts with trust - if he doesn't have trust in a player then we need to come to a agreement/solution

We also have to evaluate our "pre season jolly" I appreciate weather in the UK January and February is not ideal for ball skills however playoff games are in damp wet October evenings. Control a ball in the wet you can do it with the sun on your back.
A couple other posters have suggested a psychologist. I fully agree with the idea on the back of a mentally hard preseason spruce up.
Maybe a few days away with Ant Middleton and Co. Adds a bit of physical training, lectures on mental preparation, change in thought processes and a few little surprises thrown in....
Add in a psychologist to bolster our mind set we will be in a better place between the ears come big match performances.

We do need some home truths as a club - it's a business and sentiments need putting aside. It's not personal it's a results driven industry and we've been found out now..... Twice
Adjust adapt overcome.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 06 Oct 2018, 09:06

I said yesterday it was good words saying were not going to let this lot think there better than us but it's said in the dressing room because if you end up getting well beat it just looks like you can talk the talk but not deliver
I would have gone completely different praising Wigan to the hilt saying how tough it will be wane and ratboys last game saying how there massive favourites playing at home that's what I would have being saying to the media all week
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 06 Oct 2018, 09:28

You can’t do nothing in attack if you don’t have a platform. The only one trying to give us go forward was Watts with Clark adding to that for his small stint.

Millo offers very little in attack any more given he now plays as an extra pivot. He doesn’t take the ball in, he isn’t going to punch holes and he’s lost his offloading game. He’s lost what made him and Lynch great impact players/gamechangers.

Massey gets on his front but him and Milner don’t give us the ability to batter Wigan and knock them back. JSL looked absolutely knackered as soon as he stepped on to the turf. His first carry he looked like he could barely run.

And our two second towers are too honest - they don’t have any grunt. McMeeken for his size should be a real threat yet seems to struggle.

You could say we missed Moors and Cook last night but we either need to start whipping Springer and Maher into shape or shipping them out to bring in another first grade prop.

Our problems started and existed with the forwards last night. Our backs got nothing and when they did it was out of blind panic forcing the ball.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 06 Oct 2018, 09:30

Can’t judge coaches just on losing big games. So many good ones don’t even get to big games.
You have to be in the top 8 to realistically compete. What is the lowest we have finished under Powell. In that period how many clubs had a similar top 6 never mind top 8 record?
How many Grand Finals have Saints made in that period? How many clubs I wonder would snap our hands off to get Powell as their coach?
How many of our squad would have been so keen to join us without our current coaching team?
Would we still have a team to follow in the top flight without him?
Would our financial position have meant we wouldn’t have existed at all?
Would we have won our first top flight trophy of the Super League era or finished top for the oneand only time in our history.
I know there are a lot of people on here much cleverer than me ( possibly not all Cas fans obviously) so any help with answering these questions would be gratefully received.
In the meantime my humble attempt in answering the exam question is that no I don’t think Powell has taken us as far as he can, and yes I do think that he and the team can learn from the experience and take us forward at least as successfully as any other available coach

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 06 Oct 2018, 09:35

HuddsTigers wrote:You can’t do nothing in attack if you don’t have a platform. The only one trying to give us go forward was Watts with Clark adding to that for his small stint.

Millo offers very little in attack any more given he now plays as an extra pivot. He doesn’t take the ball in, he isn’t going to punch holes and he’s lost his offloading game. He’s lost what made him and Lynch great impact players/gamechangers.

Massey gets on his front but him and Milner don’t give us the ability to batter Wigan and knock them back. JSL looked absolutely knackered as soon as he stepped on to the turf. His first carry he looked like he could barely run.

And our two second towers are too honest - they don’t have any grunt. McMeeken for his size should be a real threat yet seems to struggle.

You could say we missed Moors and Cook last night but we either need to start whipping Springer and Maher into shape or shipping them out to bring in another first grade prop.

Our problems started and existed with the forwards last night. Our backs got nothing and when they did it was out of blind panic forcing the ball.
I agree with all that, except possibly Milo.Cook and particularly Moors were a massive miss and that meant the work wasn’t evenly shared out which exposed Watts and Millo too much. Springer and Maher need to stand up or be replaced either if we are very lucky by another Watts or Clark or by us making cap space and spending big money

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 06 Oct 2018, 09:47

It’s an unpopular opinion on Millo - I posted something earlier in the year after the Hudds away game similar and it got shot down by a few. He has some good games but he also has some very average games. Watching from the stands last night, there were times when we just needed him to cart the ball in and sock it to Wigan and he didn’t. We need that Millo back.

I wonder how much age is a factor too. You look at our props, they are all in their 30s bar Watts, JSL, and Clark.

Millo will be 32 in November, Moors 32, Cook 32 in November. Age is but a number but I can’t help but feeling the likes of Millo shouldn’t be doing 60 mins any more so that we keep getting the best out of them.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 06 Oct 2018, 09:52

Tamworth Tiger wrote:Can’t judge coaches just on losing big games. So many good ones don’t even get to big games.
You have to be in the top 8 to realistically compete. What is the lowest we have finished under Powell. In that period how many clubs had a similar top 6 never mind top 8 record?
How many Grand Finals have Saints made in that period? How many clubs I wonder would snap our hands off to get Powell as their coach?
How many of our squad would have been so keen to join us without our current coaching team?
Would we have won our first top flight trophy of the Super League era or finished top for the oneand only time in our history.
I know there are a lot of people on here much cleverer than me ( possibly not all Cas fans obviously) so any help with answering these questions would be gratefully received.
In the meantime my humble attempt in answering the exam question is that no I don’t think Powell has taken us as far as he can, and yes I do think that he and the team can learn from the experience and take us forward at least as successfully as any other available coach
Hard to swallow as Powell got us where we are in many ways. Big game failings are so disappointing. It's not the losing that's the issue. Someone has to lose. It's the manner of performance. What is he saying to them?
Wane seems to have the entire 17 chomping at the bit, so fired up. We look soft at times. Both tries last night were awful to concede in a semi. Where's the next level of intensity? We look well short.
Out of interest: Saints since 2009 in semi finals and finals: lost 16. Won 1.

init
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by init » 06 Oct 2018, 10:09

A lot calmer now.......

DP is a great coach but his record in big games is poor

However without him we would not be a set of supporters so gutted at losing in a grand final and semi final....we have come that far under him it is incredible.

As he said in his post match interview we are not mentally strong enough in big games...he thought after last year we had learnt to cope better....obviously not .... he will focus on this for next season....I do beleive DP needs the assistance of some one who can alter the mindset for play off rugby.

He has turned us into an established top four club....has changed us into a strong balanced league team....i beleive he will fix this last piece of the jigsaw puzzle....snd make us a strong playoff team.

Dont for one second think he has taken us far enough....

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 06 Oct 2018, 10:13

RonnieGibbs'forearm wrote:
Tamworth Tiger wrote:Can’t judge coaches just on losing big games. So many good ones don’t even get to big games.
Hard to swallow as Powell got us where we are in many ways. Big game failings are so disappointing. It's not the losing that's the issue. Someone has to lose. It's the manner of performance. What is he saying to them?
Wane seems to have the entire 17 chomping at the bit, so fired up. We look soft at times. Both tries last night were awful to concede in a semi. Where's the next level of intensity? We look well short.
That is interesting. Didn’t Leeds have a shocking Cup Final record too until they beat us in 2014?

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 06 Oct 2018, 10:14

init wrote:A lot calmer now.......

DP is a great coach but his record in big games is poor

However without him we would not be a set of supporters so gutted at losing in a grand final and semi final....we have come that far under him it is incredible.

As he said in his post match interview we are not mentally strong enough in big games...he thought after last year we had learnt to cope better....obviously not .... he will focus on this for next season....I do beleive DP needs the assistance of some one who can alter the mindset for play off rugby

He has turned us into an established top four club....has changed us into a strong balanced league team....i beleive he will fix this last piece of the jigsaw puzzle....snd make us a strong playoff team.

Dont for one second think he has taken us far enough....
Agree with that. A+ answer!
Last edited by Tamworth Tiger on 06 Oct 2018, 10:34, edited 1 time in total.

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 06 Oct 2018, 10:20

HuddsTigers wrote:You can’t do nothing in attack if you don’t have a platform. The only one trying to give us go forward was Watts with Clark adding to that for his small stint.

good sum up that lad about nailed it but also desperately need two more centre's and another winger we pace clair is reliably standard but no pace. think we also missed trueman Roberts is done for me think even ellis would have done more then him last night specially kicking near line shenton should be there for cover only next not get rid totaly

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 06 Oct 2018, 11:34

Tamworth Tiger wrote:
RonnieGibbs'forearm wrote:
That is interesting. Didn’t Leeds have a shocking Cup Final record too until they beat us in 2014?
Actually got stats wrong for Saints.
Should say since 2009 they have won one final from both comps. Lost in 3.
Lost 5 CC semis. Won 0.
Lost 6 play off semis. Won 4.