TODAYS GAME

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
classysupercas2

TODAYS GAME

Post by classysupercas2 » 11 Feb 2018, 18:49

Thought we got out of jail in the end with some sloppy play all over the park. The team look disjointed to me,also we look miles slower compared to the start of last season.shentons decision making and passing was mind boggling. Overall very poor again and looks like its gona be a long season especially without a recognised full back. Disappointed with Ellis and gale also.

Nu Shooze
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: TODAYS GAME

Post by Nu Shooze » 11 Feb 2018, 18:56

McShane needs to pick the pace up with more scoots out of the ruck. Only did it a few times but when we did we got on a bit of a roll. Was a big part of our game last couple of seasons.

Look totally out of sorts on attack at the moment, mainly due to no one filling Zak's shoes. We don't have the spare man anymore and are easy to pick off. Benny's certainly not fulfilling that role.

GThornton
League One Player
League One Player

Post by GThornton » 11 Feb 2018, 18:57

People said to start slow and peak for the end of the season, but this is ridiculous. lol

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 11 Feb 2018, 18:57

Gales kicking near the line leaves a lot to be desired and that's putting it kindly

Ellis very quiet with the limited ball he had

Hitchcox looked like he was willing to put his hand up for a run back all game, can't fault that effort

Looked most dangerous will Milner on the pitch

Minikin waffed at a couple of high balls early on but redeemed himself with some big catches

Conditions and ground suited the bigger blokes today

Still plenty to work on but atleast it's a win chalked on the board
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 11 Feb 2018, 19:03

That first half it looks like these player had never played together.
Not sure what’s wrong with Luke gale, another invisible man performance.
Roberts much better, had a good game defensively, still no where fluent in joining the line.
Mcmeeken, another poor game, can’t for the life of me fathem why he shows no aggression.
Ellis not found his feet as yet, both halfs were poor.
Holmes, arghhhhh stifles that left side, stops all fluency.
The rest average.

I’m baffled why Jesse only played around 20mins second half.
He changed the game, we got moving forward with speed, putting Widnes on the back foot.
Can’t for the life of me work out why shentons try was disallowed.....anyone enlighten me.

A very ugly game/performance. Scrapped a win, so up and running.
We need to improve 10 fold if are ambition is to finish top 4.

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 11 Feb 2018, 19:08

old cas lass wrote:That first half it looks like these player had never played together.
Roberts much better, had a good game defensively, still no where fluent in joining the line.
Mcmeeken, another poor game, can’t for the life of me fathem why he shows no aggression.
The rest average.

He changed the game, we got moving forward with speed, putting Widnes on the back foot.
Can’t for the life of me work out why shentons try was disallowed.....anyone enlighten me.

It's that bloody scrum cap lol

That left side misses Zak
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mucky1978 » 11 Feb 2018, 19:10

We need a FB asap
Could of signed one instead of Clark Clare and Aston 3 players who won’t play a game this season.
The club needs to say what is happening with Zak as he been sacked or we standing by him Cos the moral looks low as Iv seen it for years:

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 11 Feb 2018, 19:10

the machine wrote:
old cas lass wrote:That first half it looks like these player had never played together.
The rest average.

It's that bloody scrum cap lol

That left side misses Zak
Was saying that all through the game.
One man as changed the whole dimension of our play, that is a fact.

westerbeast
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westerbeast » 11 Feb 2018, 19:14

We had some tight matches last season but Hardaker would go and score a length of the field try and we would score a couple more straight after. This season we have no one near to doing that. I get the feeling there's something going on behind the scenes that's not helping the team. It's about time Powell did what he said he would do DROP PLAYERS WHO ARE NOT PERFORMING. Goes on about strength in depth but is scared to change things.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 11 Feb 2018, 19:21

the only way i can describe this is woeful, what the hells happened to our forwards playing as individuals head down and arse up drive the ball in and fall down no one looking for the supporting players, Luke Gale is far off speed Jamie Ellis looked the same, if there is not a Big change in the way we are playing the bottom four beckons

takethetwo
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by takethetwo » 11 Feb 2018, 19:22

Milner best player on the park today.
Hitchcox always looked for work .
The rest ????

classysupercas2

Post by classysupercas2 » 11 Feb 2018, 19:27

westerbeast wrote:We had some tight matches last season but Hardaker would go and score a length of the field try and we would score a couple more straight after. This season we have no one near to doing that. I get the feeling there's something going on behind the scenes that's not helping the team. It's about time Powell did what he said he would do DROP PLAYERS WHO ARE NOT PERFORMING. Goes on about strength in depth but is scared to change things.
Totally agree pal

the happy hooker9
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Doing Spins, Backdrops and kicks on the dance floor

Post by the happy hooker9 » 11 Feb 2018, 19:28

Hate to say this but just watched the Jocks v Frogs at Onion and MORE inventive creative play in first 10 mins than thro' whole of todays match
Players looked totally bemused ..... where is the Junior Moor that destroyed Leeds at Headingley.......OK no more Hardaker so why not create other plays.
We have bought 2 props to the club and then select FFS a second row at Prop ??????? and have 3 on the subs JSL, Cook Moors
Creative play NIL 5 drives and a kick, this is as poor a performance an d get a win as you could ever see.
Ellis whats the point... its either Gale or Ellis not both neither take the line on.
Not once did we try a little dink over the top... FFS try some thing different if only to give the opposition something to think about.
Milner played his socks off.............. an off season of recruiting potential totally wasted
Cannot be more dischuffed for years

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 11 Feb 2018, 19:32

Wow...i thought the forwards did well second half everybody tried there hardest from what i could see
The attack is clunky the moves are easily being read hardaker was the main man and he made others look good last year but im not going to have a go at anyone tried hard and got the win
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 11 Feb 2018, 19:35

Mucky1978 wrote:We need a FB asap
Could of signed one instead of Clark Clare and Aston 3 players who won’t play a game this season.
The club needs to say what is happening with Zak as he been sacked or we standing by him Cos the moral looks low as Iv seen it for years:
If we have the cash I’d go all out for gigot would be ideal for us and take us up the level Zak did.must have a lot of free cap space if Zak is off it

init
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by init » 11 Feb 2018, 19:40

Quite baffling today Green (who I questioned when signed) for all the world should be playing yet McMeeken - seriously why?

We look a patch on the side of last year ..... however I think we desperately needed to hang on for that win.

I don't get our shape at the moment .... what was great for us last season was lynch/springer starting props then bringing on the wrecking machines in Moors/Millington.

Jesse/McMeeken SR

So for me swap - to Cook/Green (springer when fit and wanting to play as alternative), Moors/Millington as duo subs.

Wardle/Jesse = SR

Milner/Massey = LF

Cook is hard as nails and gets a good go forward, Green has shown how he can go forward an get an offload away - just makes sense to me.

Last season Moors/Millington were the impact that really got us going - why we have gone away from this I have no idea?

If Wardle is not fit enough to start put foster in with jesse.

Our edges with JY/Eden/Minikin solid and Shenny/Webbo will do the business

Halves need a bit more time however I thought Ellis held his own and at times looked more effective than Gale (Have to give the two time to gel)

Roberts not a full back but looks like we are sticking with it and over time hopefully he will adjust to our attacking shape and be more of a contributor.

I don't understand why we look so off the pace but hopefully as the season goes on it will all start to come together.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 11 Feb 2018, 19:42

What was up with eden
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 11 Feb 2018, 20:04

It was pretty painful to watch. I like Roberts as a player at halfback,but not full back. He tried today but there was a couple of occasions when we looked to do the link up move to the left hand side with the full back chiming into the line but he couldn't get into position in time.

Either we unpick the attacking system that has worked so well for the last 4 years using the full back or we find a full back who can fill this crucial role!

Also whats happening with the starting prop situation? Millington was better off the bench last year, ditto Moors & Cook. Not sure when Springer will return but starting with Foster at prop is puzzling given he's the smallest forward we have?

I could only think the coach was sending a little message out...maybe the rumour Powell had lined up a prop at the W.C only to be knocked back by Gill has some legs?

Lots of work to do or we will be stuck in the middle 8's.

lidds
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by lidds » 11 Feb 2018, 20:05

init wrote:Quite baffling today Green (who I questioned when signed) for all the world should be playing yet McMeeken - seriously why?

We look a patch on the side of last year ..... however I think we desperately needed to hang on for that win.

I don't get our shape at the moment .... what was great for us last season was lynch/springer starting props then bringing on the wrecking machines in Moors/Millington.

Jesse/McMeeken SR

So for me swap - to Cook/Green (springer when fit and wanting to play as alternative), Moors/Millington as duo subs.

Wardle/Jesse = SR

Milner/Massey = LF

Cook is hard as nails and gets a good go forward, Green has shown how he can go forward an get an offload away - just makes sense to me.

Last season Moors/Millington were the impact that really got us going - why we have gone away from this I have no idea?

If Wardle is not fit enough to start put foster in with jesse.

Our edges with JY/Eden/Minikin solid and Shenny/Webbo will do the business

Halves need a bit more time however I thought Ellis held his own and at times looked more effective than Gale (Have to give the two time to gel)

Roberts not a full back but looks like we are sticking with it and over time hopefully he will adjust to our attacking shape and be more of a contributor.

I don't understand why we look so off the pace but hopefully as the season goes on it will all start to come together.
Agree with all of that. Having Jesse and wardle in 2nd row would be great

The Firm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by The Firm » 11 Feb 2018, 20:05

That was tough to watch. Absolutely no cohesion whatsoever and whilst you expect things to be ‘clunky’ at this time of year this runs deeper than that. Gale is a mile off, Roberts a fish out of water and Ellis is just Ellis, i.e. bang average. Because of all this McShane feels he has to try running the show himself which is not getting the best out of him. Add in some of the forwards looking like they can’t be arsed *cough* McMeekan & Moors *cough* then we are way off. Powell has a big two weeks before our next game to sort it out.