Wigan up Next

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Wigan up Next

Post by Fumper27 » 20 Apr 2021, 13:01

I’d go with:

Niall Evalds
Derrell Olpherts
Peter Mata’utia
Michael Shenton
Greg Eden
Jake Trueman
Danny Richardson
Liam Watts
Paul McShane
Daniel Smith
Oliver Holmes
Cheyse Blair
Nathan Massey

Grant Millington
Adam Milner
George Griffin
Jordan Turner

Lewis Bienek
Tyla Hepi
Brad Martin
Sam Hall

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 20 Apr 2021, 13:09

Need a big bench against these. Get in their faces and we win this comfortably.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 20 Apr 2021, 13:46

I'm a big fan of Eden, but he didn't look great against a weak Leigh team.
For me, we go with the backline from the opening 3 Super League games:
FB - Evalds
RW - Olphers
RC - Mata'utia.
LC - Shenton
LW - Turner

Richardson and Trueman in the halves. Of the 21, I'd leave out Eden, Hall, Martin and Bienek.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 20 Apr 2021, 14:30

Niall Evalds
Derrell Olpherts
Peter Mata’utia
Michael Shenton
Greg Eden
Jake Trueman
Jordan Turner (not sure DR is fit?)
Liam Watts
Paul McShane
Grant Millngton
Oliver Holmes
Cheyse Blair
Nathan Massey

Daniel Smith
Adam Milner
George Griffin
Lewis Bieneck

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 20 Apr 2021, 14:43

Anybody any info how far off matagi and oniel is from returning?

barking
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by barking » 20 Apr 2021, 15:51

Scoopage wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 14:43 Anybody any info how far off matagi and oniel is from returning?
Rumours are that Him and Feki have been seen househunting over Lock Lane, Covid Tiger missed that one

bane73
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by bane73 » 20 Apr 2021, 15:58

barking wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 15:51
Scoopage wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 14:43 Anybody any info how far off matagi and oniel is from returning?
Rumours are that Him and Feki have been seen househunting over Lock Lane, Covid Tiger missed that one
Can't be true if he hasn't posted it then 🤣🤣🤣
what doesn't kill me simply makes me...stranger.

TypingMonkey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by TypingMonkey » 20 Apr 2021, 16:00

I thought Bienek looked really strong last week. Hungry for work, runs in hard, refuses to go down easily, attracts a lot of tacklers and takes energy out of the defence. I'd like to see him get more game time, if not this week then very soon.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 20 Apr 2021, 16:16

TypingMonkey wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 16:00 I thought Bienek looked really strong last week. Hungry for work, runs in hard, refuses to go down easily, attracts a lot of tacklers and takes energy out of the defence. I'd like to see him get more game time, if not this week then very soon.
Hmmmm. How many minutes did he do against an already-beaten Leigh team? Looked like he was struggling to get back into the defensive line pretty quickly to me.

Also, this is where we have an issue with no reserve grade. Players like Bienek just aren't playing rugby, so they aren't up to speed when they do get a game.

TypingMonkey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by TypingMonkey » 20 Apr 2021, 17:07

nottinghamtiger wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 16:16
TypingMonkey wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 16:00 I thought Bienek looked really strong last week. Hungry for work, runs in hard, refuses to go down easily, attracts a lot of tacklers and takes energy out of the defence. I'd like to see him get more game time, if not this week then very soon.
Hmmmm. How many minutes did he do against an already-beaten Leigh team? Looked like he was struggling to get back into the defensive line pretty quickly to me.

Also, this is where we have an issue with no reserve grade. Players like Bienek just aren't playing rugby, so they aren't up to speed when they do get a game.
He came on in the 49th minute and stayed on until the end of the game. In that time he had 7 carries (same number as Millington had all game) and made 13 tackles (for comparison, Milner and Massey both made 19 each all game). I think that's a pretty good impact even compared with his more experienced team mates. I know he was gassed at the end, but you only get match fit by playing matches.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 20 Apr 2021, 17:15

nottinghamtiger wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 16:16 Also, this is where we have an issue with no reserve grade. Players like Bienek just aren't playing rugby, so they aren't up to speed when they do get a game.
The loss of the reserve grade has had a massive impact on the game and really does need rectifying. Young, recovering and idle (as in not playing at all) players have no avenue to get up to match speed or even learn the game (young uns).

:pray: :pray:

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 20 Apr 2021, 18:08

TypingMonkey wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 17:07

He came on in the 49th minute and stayed on until the end of the game. In that time he had 7 carries (same number as Millington had all game) and made 13 tackles (for comparison, Milner and Massey both made 19 each all game). I think that's a pretty good impact even compared with his more experienced team mates. I know he was gassed at the end, but you only get match fit by playing matches.
Facts don’t work on here mate...

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 20 Apr 2021, 18:15

The coach made special mention of him for praise after the match
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 20 Apr 2021, 18:27

Fair enough. It was a genuine question and he did more minutes than I thought watching live.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 20 Apr 2021, 22:34

Wigan squad if not already shared:

1. Bevan French
3. Zak Hardaker
7. Thomas Leuluai
8. Brad Singleton
9. Sam Powell
10. Joe Bullock
11. Willie Isa
12. Liam Farrell
13. John Bateman
14. Oliver Partington
15. Morgan Smithies
17. Tony Clubb
19. Liam Byrne
20. Harry Smith
21. Ethan Havard
22. Jake Bibby
23. Mitch Clark
25. Joe Shorrocks
29. James McDonnell
30. Umyla Hanley
31. Jackson Hastings

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 22 Apr 2021, 09:14

18-33
First try Evalds
MOM Macca
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 22 Apr 2021, 09:25

Pessimist in me, but thinking we might get beat.

Kind of one of the first fork in the road games, have we had a good start to a usual season, or have we started a season a step above where we finished?

The former would give us, start well, go down double digits.
The latter, compete well and get over them.

22-8
Try - Hardaker obviously.
MOTM - McShane

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 22 Apr 2021, 09:53

My main worry is Wigan’s defence is water tight.
I think we’ll find it hard to break it down.
My head says Wigan by 2/3 scores.
My heart still says Wigan, just.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 22 Apr 2021, 10:15

Perfect conditions for us today to play some rugby against these. We're the best team they'll have faced so far this year and the first team that will throw the ball about and make them work.

I've watched every Wigan game so far this season and when teams get in their face and match them up front, they've struggled. Leigh, Wakey and Leeds all gave them a game up until half time, just a lack of fitness and quality with some of them meant Wigan kicked on. We're a totally different team to all 3 and I really fancy us tonight by a couple of scores.