Lockdown lounge...

General Chit-Chat is in here... New Members are invited to pop in and say hello!
Adam
Verified
Championship Player
Championship Player
Twitter: @yorkscoaster

Lockdown lounge...

Post by Adam » 19 Jan 2021, 07:22

Lockdown isn’t fun, is it?

Figured we could start a specific thread and have a general natter to pass the time. What’s everyone doing to help pass the time?

Anyone got any new hobbies? Taken on some major DIY projects?

What we all doing to stay fit and healthy?

And... very importantly... is anyone struggling, and just need to chat?

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Lockdown lounge...

Post by tigerfeat » 19 Jan 2021, 10:04

I've read books and more books... this lockdown with the vaccines and being more strict with people trying to get into the country as to work you can't keep people locked down much longer
I struggled a lot during the summer.. when it's all over I'll never take anything for granted no more just the small things are precious that's the thing that I've found out in all of this
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 19 Jan 2021, 12:35

I'm thankful I have a dog I need to walk 3/4 times a day.

I've always enjoyed having dogs but the fact I have to get up of my 'arris and go out with her affords me the time to exercise, think, social distance and keep my hands warm (never go out without a poop bag or two!).

MerchantNavy70

Post by MerchantNavy70 » 19 Jan 2021, 19:48

As I am classed as extremely vunerable I have to be careful, The first lock down was a lot easier as I could spend it on my Allotments ,fresh air and exercise.
This time as it's winter and weather has been crap down here I have been reading ,reading and then reading, Looking forward to spring.
Stay safe.

Adam
Verified
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Adam » 19 Jan 2021, 20:57

MerchantNavy70 wrote: 19 Jan 2021, 19:48 As I am classed as extremely vunerable I have to be careful, The first lock down was a lot easier as I could spend it on my Allotments ,fresh air and exercise.
This time as it's winter and weather has been crap down here I have been reading ,reading and then reading, Looking forward to spring.
Stay safe.
Have to agree, the poor weather isn’t helping this time around. It’s making it all the harder for many a folk, I imagine.

Main thing is staying safe and healthy. :pray:

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Piquad1 » 20 Jan 2021, 08:04

Well this is my third time sheilding and it doesn't get any easier. As stated earlier the weather doesn't help. I been catching up with a bit of decorating been doing a lot of gardening weather permitting. Came across a mining forum online been enjoying the tales from the miners and some good stories made me laugh really. Nice to have a laugh at these times I think. It takes your mind off what is happening out there for a while. Anyway all stay safe and let's applaud all that are on the front line. Christ imagine how it would be without them. C. O. Y. F.

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 24 Jan 2021, 11:07

As a truck driver I'm away from home most weeks all week and sleep more in my truck than in my own bed at home. I don't want sympathy it's what I chose to do after the pits closed. Last year when it kicked off I ended up on furlough through my own choice and therefore got my bike out and did some serious miles on tracks and trails and some brilliant canal trails. So now when I get home at the weekend I get out on my bike at least once and hopefully twice if weather permits. I must say that the traffic on the roads in this lockdown is not as quiet as last year and not surprised by the increase in deaths. We should have closed the borders with no exceptions at all. This time round we have scrotes and neighbour's who just don't give a toss and should be refused treatment if they happen to get it. Anyway folks I know it's tough, but keep your heads up and keep talking and fingers crossed we should see the end of the tunnel soon.

Adam
Verified
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Adam » 24 Jan 2021, 14:32

Brilliant that you’ve managed to discover something else to do on your weekends - something you enjoy, and something that is good for you!

I agree, this lockdown doesn’t feel anything like the lockdown of March 2020, and I don’t believe that this has anything to do with the fact that we’ve learnt how to deal with it - it just isn’t as strict as it needs to be IMO!
Tigers1926 wrote: 24 Jan 2021, 11:07 Anyway folks I know it's tough, but keep your heads up and keep talking and fingers crossed we should see the end of the tunnel soon.
I think this part of your reply is really important - keeping positive, and keeping talking. Anyone who feels lonely, or as though they don’t have anyone to talk to, please feel free to send me a private message! Even if it’s just to tell me what’s on your mind!

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 24 Jan 2021, 18:08

Nice one Adam 👍 I seem to talk more on the phone to my fellow drivers at our place who seem to be on the same wavelength as myself. Just heard that the new south African variant is now in the UK, how does this happen ffs? Close the borders and ground planes and stop the elite from travelling under the guise of business, when in reality they are going on holiday. We'll never stop it if this is allowed to carry on. We are after all a island and this should be doable imo. Take care out there folks.

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Piquad1 » 25 Jan 2021, 07:31

Well said Adam. It's getting scary I'll admit I'm bricking it. I'm classed as extremely vulnerable and sheilding but sometimes have to venture out for essentials also drop things off for my mother who's 88. I leave her stuff on the step then disappear. Like being a spy creeping up and down. Tried to get online shopping what a joke by the time I get a slot I'd be a skeleton. Anyway less of me whining . Take care all.

Adam
Verified
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Adam » 25 Jan 2021, 09:28

Tigers1926 wrote: 24 Jan 2021, 18:08 Just heard that the new south African variant is now in the UK, how does this happen ffs? Close the borders and ground planes and stop the elite from travelling under the guise of business, when in reality they are going on holiday. We'll never stop it if this is allowed to carry on. We are after all a island and this should be doable imo. Take care out there folks.
The amount of "Instagram influencers" and Z-list celebs I see sunning it up in the UAE is unreal. To my mind, if you choose to leave the country at this time, you should need to sign something to say that you are aware you may not be able to re-enter.

I absolutely understand that we don't allow people back into the country without proof of a negative COVID test. But those who don't have a negative test, or those that are told to quarantine aren't policed. We need to take a much more robust approach to quarantining those that come through our borders - similar to the stance that New Zealand have taken from day dot.

Ultimately, NZ quarantine anyone coming into the country - the Government fund this, and put these people up in nice hotels. Sounds expensive, but I can assure you that COVID will have had a much smaller financial impact on them, than all of the handouts that we have had to provide as a result of our Government's inaction.

The Government's dithering and delay to act has, without doubt, been the number 1 factor in the country's huge death toll (nearly 100,000) and economic impact. That isn't to say that COVIDIOTS aren't also to blame...

I'll leave it there before I go into full-on rant mode :-k

Adam
Verified
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Adam » 25 Jan 2021, 09:32

Piquad1 wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 07:31 Well said Adam. It's getting scary I'll admit I'm bricking it. I'm classed as extremely vulnerable and sheilding but sometimes have to venture out for essentials also drop things off for my mother who's 88. I leave her stuff on the step then disappear. Like being a spy creeping up and down. Tried to get online shopping what a joke by the time I get a slot I'd be a skeleton. Anyway less of me whining . Take care all.
I'm very fortunate that I'm in relatively good health (a tad overweight, but I blame stopping smoking and 2 lockdowns for this :liar: ). It must be really difficult for yourself and others like you who are in a situation whereby you have to decide whether your own health and well-being is worth risking in order to help support your elderly relatives. All credit to you for what you're doing.

I could go onto a rant about those who are "exempt from wearing masks" and the fact that non-essential retail are offering click-and-collect; effectively giving people an excuse to be out of the house, but I'll save that for another time.

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 25 Jan 2021, 09:42

Just gonna throw this example in. How can Kate Moss ex super model be allowed to go to Paris at this time?? Surely this is non essential travel and a example of them and us!

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Piquad1 » 25 Jan 2021, 11:26

Suppose we're just going to cross our fingers and hope.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 25 Jan 2021, 13:49

Tigers1926 wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 09:42 Just gonna throw this example in. How can Kate Moss ex super model be allowed to go to Paris at this time?? Surely this is non essential travel and a example of them and us!
Surely it depends what she’s gone for? What may seem none essential to you is essential to her.

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 25 Jan 2021, 21:48

Party..

Hepworth7
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Hepworth7 » 29 Jan 2021, 13:44

It's good to read everyone else's experiences of lockdown,it certainly puts my whingeing and whineing into perspective when in truth I've been extremely fortunate. My wife and I own and run 3 care homes so you can imagine the last year has been challenging to say the least,bizarrely keeping busy has been huge and in a daft way proactively working,and doing what you can to protect your clients has really helped my mental health. To be vulnerable and sat at home with no control must be terrifying and I can only empathise.
For forty years bookmaking was my life and Rugby league my passion and until last week I was extremely fortunate to be able to combine the two. Now apparently computers can do what I did so I am "surplus to requirements" No biggy really,if lockdown has done nothing its pointed out what's important and what's not and if saving my salary helps Paddy Power to his next million fair enough. Come Sunday I'll be trying to convince six adults with learning disabilities with no real understanding of the pandemic that they really would like to have a needle stuck in their arm. I know which one I would rather be doing.

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Piquad1 » 29 Jan 2021, 18:27

You take care Hepworth. My hat goes of to you. Stay safe.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 29 Jan 2021, 19:06

Just found this, never normally come on the lounge.

Well my lockdown Experience is this.

Retired from work after 24 yrs in catering.
That was 20th Dec 2019.
Couple of months later, first lockdown.
Though I wasn’t in the vulnerable category, i didn’t leave the house from March. Saw the cas v saints game, then that was it. I became a recluse.
So I decided to become a painter and decorator.
I glossed all the downstairs doors, emulsions a small room were we keep our shoes and coats.
Had 2 holidays cancelled, managed to book a week away to Whitby end of august.
Got a bit adventurous and ventured out to asda and a walk in town.
Had the garden paved beginning of October.

Then bang back in lockdown nov/Dec.

My first year of retirement, what a year, or should that be tear.

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 29 Jan 2021, 19:44

That's a good bit of work and keeping busy OCL. Have a brew and a breather and think what could be your next project, bearing in mind the weather should!! be improving soon. The days are slowly getting longer, but there is no rush OCL, so just bear that in mind and steady away and stay safe and positive. COYF