BREXIT - Good or Bad ??

General Chit-Chat is in here... New Members are invited to pop in and say hello!
FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: BREXIT - Good or Bad ??

Post by FIat Capper » 06 Apr 2021, 13:23

All very interesting and only time will tell if the new deals will adequately replace the old deals that we already had as part of the EU.

I'm still puzzled as to why being allowed to land more fish is useful when we can't export it in time? Does the express cover any stories relating to the continued difficulties many businesses are facing in their attempts to get trade to/from the EU member states? A number of SME's are looking at closing because of the increased costs - a real benefit!

The immigration system could be a winner, just long as it doesn't replicate the Australian system and bring in even more.

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 04 May 2021, 14:24

The big one! Brexit trade agreement with India could pave way for £100 BILLION deal
Ciaran McGrath 3 hrs ago

Mr Johnson unveiled a new £1 billion agreement with India's President Narendra Modi which he says will create 6,500 British jobs, with the two due to formalise arrangements during a virtual meeting today. However, Nayan Gala, co-founder of venture capitalist firm JPIN VCATS, suggested Mr Johnson's announcement had the potential to deliver vastly bigger benefits for both sides.

He said: "It's great to see that the UK and Indian governments have agreed to this trade partnership.

"India is a 21st century powerhouse and the UK-India trading relationship is already worth almost £24 billion, with 383 Indian companies in the UK employing more than 82,000 people."

Mr Gala added: "The ETP will help to fuel economic recovery in a post-Brexit, post-Covid UK and really allow the UK to benefit from the immense growth India is about to experience in the coming decade.

"A free trade deal with India could be as high as £50-100 billion and will open the door to 1.3 billion potential customers for UK businesses, and provide opportunities for business improvement, consolidation, foreign expansion and diversification in a rapidly growing market."

With India currently in the grip of a surge in coronavirus cases, the British Asian Trust has raised over £1.6 million in the last week through its emergency appeal, while BOC Ltd has donated 5,000 empty oxygen cylinders, the first of which were transferred to Chennai today by the Indian Air Force.

Mr Johnson commented: "Like every aspect of the UK-India relationship, the economic links between our countries make our people stronger and safer.

"In the decade ahead, with the help of the new Partnership signed today and a comprehensive Free Trade Agreement, we will double the value of our trading partnership with India and take the relationship between our two countries to new highs."

Alex Ellis, High Commissioner to India added: "Trade and investment between the UK and India is already significant, creating jobs and growth in both countries.

"Today our Prime Ministers have set an ambitious target of doubling trade by 2030 and announcing £1 billion of new trade and investment.

"I will work tirelessly with our Indian friends and partners in the public and private sector to fulfil our leaders' ambition."

The ETP will create immediate opportunities for businesses across industries, including: a commitment for mutual recognition of Seafarers' Certificate of Competency; an independent risk-based decision-making process for suitable listing and re-listing of new and de-listed Indian fishery establishments and phased reduction in shrimp sampling protocol; and a taskforce under a new healthcare pillar which will provide opportunities for Indian nurses and nursing associates seeking to train and work for the NHS.

graphical user interface, website: Narendra Modi© Express Narendra Modi
Trade between the UK and India is already worth around £23 billion a year, supporting more than half-a-million jobs.

The £1 billion package of new UK-India trade and investment includes:
Over £533 million of new Indian investment into the UK, in vital and growing sectors such as health and technology
British exports to India worth more than £446 million. This includes CMR Surgical exporting its next-generation 'Versius' surgical robotic system, which helps surgeons perform minimal access surgery, being rolled out to hospitals in India.
£200 million of these deals will support low carbon growth.
Elizabeth Truss wearing a white shirt: Liz Truss© GETTY Liz Truss
The package of measures announced today will create more than 6,500 new jobs around the UK.

India is on track to be the world's third-largest economy by 2030.

The ETP is intended to double the value of UK-India trade by 2030, as well as signalling the two countries' shared intent to begin work towards negotiations on a comprehensive FTA.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 04 May 2021, 15:14

I've no doubt the break from the EU regulations on standards will allow billions of pounds of cheap tat to flood in...

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 05 May 2021, 10:03

FIat Capper wrote: 04 May 2021, 15:14 I've no doubt the break from the EU regulations on standards will allow billions of pounds of cheap tat to flood in...
I see you haven't found those rose tinted glasses yet eh Capper !!

I would rather see cheap tat from India arriving to replace the cheap tat from China we have been importing for years while China has enriched themselves to the point of owning a world class military and now about to invade Taiwan and the Phillipines for South China Sea Control while the West has been asleep on the job !!!

We need Eastern friendly countries who are pro UK and have a significant clout in being a progressive country and where we have the chance to export to a huge population of our own tat as once China launch themselves into military action as to what it is now looking like, we will need these surrounding countries in trying to contain them !!!

Strategically, this trade deal has more importance than you seem ready to accept Capper !! Very Short Sighted on your part !!!

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 05 May 2021, 12:06

Strategically, we've been close allies with India for many years and co-operated on many things, including trade. sadly, they (Indian) has and continues to develop it's manufacturing industry, along the lines of China's, so financially, we may suffer in the long-term.

they may be some benefit from great investment in our own 'Green Industries' so tat we can start to export these to the third world/South Asia/Africa but they will copy and develop the technology to suite their ends.

I welcome trade with India but it has nothing to do with Brexit.

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 05 May 2021, 16:55

FIat Capper wrote: 05 May 2021, 12:06 Strategically, we've been close allies with India for many years and co-operated on many things, including trade. sadly, they (Indian) has and continues to develop it's manufacturing industry, along the lines of China's, so financially, we may suffer in the long-term.

they may be some benefit from great investment in our own 'Green Industries' so tat we can start to export these to the third world/South Asia/Africa but they will copy and develop the technology to suite their ends.

I welcome trade with India but it has nothing to do with Brexit.
It's got everything to do with Brexit Capper !! You are totally deluded if you think we would have got this still being within the EU !!

And here's another trade deal which is also on the drawing boards as a major potential for emboldering the fortunes of the UK which you can now try to diss as per your usual pessimistic response :-

New Zealand trade deal: Liz Truss eyes up ANOTHER mega agreement - new update
Dan Falvey, Political Correspondent 4 hrs ago

Elizabeth Truss sitting at a table: Liz Truss has agreed to intensify talks with New Zealand© PA Liz Truss has agreed to intensify talks with New Zealand
International Trade Secretary Liz Truss this morning held a phone call with her New Zealand counterpart to try and add fresh momentum to negotiations after talks stalled.

The UK was hoping talks could have been wrapped up by Easter but the pace of progress has since slowed.

Those close to the talks described the phone call between Ms Truss and New Zealand Minister for Trade and Export Growth Damien O'Connor as "positive".

Officials say the talks will intensify with the chief negotiators meeting on a monthly basis.

The next round of formal negotiations have been set for the start of June, with a further round of talks already scheduled for in July.

Officials said both sides "committed to accelerating the process" in the phone call and were hopeful of finalising an agreement in the coming months

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 06 May 2021, 07:47

Oh and by the way Capper, here's another country voicing their opinions of the EU that you wish we hadn't left !! :-

Brexit was just the start! Finnish MEP says her country needs to quit ‘imperial' EU
Ciaran McGrath 21 hrs ago

a person smiling for the camera: Finnish MEP Laura Huhtasaari© GETTY Finnish MEP Laura Huhtasaari
Laura Huhtasaari was speaking the day after Brussels was accused of trying to "bully" Finland into ratifying its £650billion coronavirus recovery fund amid suggestions the Scandinavian country's legislature might refuse to do so. With a two-thirds majority required, Finland's Prime Minister Sanna Marin remains confident she will secure an agreement - but nevertheless sought advice from European Council's legal team this week about what happens if it gets blocked.

Ms Huhtasaari, a member of the right-wing Finns party, is a staunch critic of the EU who believes her country should follow the UK's example - and said the events of this week had reinforced her views still further.

She told Express.co.uk: "It is important to understand that the EU is an imperial project, which aims to impose centrally made decisions on all its member states.

"However, the project about the creation of a real sovereign EU state is still incomplete."

She explained: "On the one hand, the EU member states still have legal independence to turn down federalist initiatives.

"On the other hand, that would cause economic and political crises, as is the case with the EU Recovery Fund."

As a result, the EU routinely puts pressure on the member states to stick to the "one and only centrally determined EU policy line", Ms Huhtasaari said.

Emmanuel Macron wearing a suit and tie: France Emmanuel Macron© GETTY France Emmanuel Macron

She added: "In this case it is Finland, which has to experience that its sovereignty has been restricted, de facto."

Ms Huhtasaari warned: "Finnish people should understand that the EU membership is incompatible with Finland's real independence and sovereignty, and therefore even with a real democracy.

"The UK citizens, who voted for Brexit, had recognised this profoundly.

"In my view, we should follow the path chosen by them prepare to withdraw from the EU."

Some Finnish politicians have voiced concerns about the package of measures, which critics fear will trigger runaway public spending in countries in the south of the bloc, especially Spain and Italy, with members of the EU27 jointly responsible for the resulting debts.

EU lawyers yesterday told Ms Marin failure to ratify the agreement would simply lead to "unprecedented reputation damage and political pressure on that member state", with no plan B in place, Finnish broadcaster YLE reported yesterday.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 10 May 2021, 13:52

You're so fixated with the EU I'm sure it's you that misses it more than me.

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 10 May 2021, 17:04

FIat Capper wrote: 10 May 2021, 13:52 You're so fixated with the EU I'm sure it's you that misses it more than me.
Yeah Right !! The reason I am so fixated is to watch it slowly disintegrate with countries now looking to bail out and which proves why Brexit was the right thing to do !!! :dance: :dance:

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 11 May 2021, 09:33

CasRus wrote: 10 May 2021, 17:04
FIat Capper wrote: 10 May 2021, 13:52 You're so fixated with the EU I'm sure it's you that misses it more than me.
Yeah Right !! The reason I am so fixated is to watch it slowly disintegrate with countries now looking to bail out and which proves why Brexit was the right thing to do !!! :dance: :dance:
I'm sure there'll be a core group of countries that will stick together come what may and who knows, it may just become more efficient with less bureaucracy, ready and waiting for our return.

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 11 May 2021, 15:22

FIat Capper wrote: 11 May 2021, 09:33
I'm sure there'll be a core group of countries that will stick together come what may and who knows, it may just become more efficient with less bureaucracy, ready and waiting for our return.
Yes well I can't see the UK returning to a group consisting of Southern EU Countries banded together after France and Germany have also ditto'd left in not being the only meal tickets left in town to pick up Southern EU debt now we have left and seeing the UK gaining all these trade contracts while they have to be part of club approval project while we get on with it as ably demonstrated with the vaccine rollout !!

You Are Totally Deluded Capper to allude to the UK returning to a failed project - Do you need a "Through the Ears" brush to give your Brain a Clean !!!!!!

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 11 May 2021, 15:48

CasRus wrote: 11 May 2021, 15:22
FIat Capper wrote: 11 May 2021, 09:33
Yes well I can't see the UK returning to a group consisting of Southern EU Countries banded together after France and Germany have also ditto'd left in not being the only meal tickets left in town to pick up Southern EU debt now we have left and seeing the UK gaining all these trade contracts while they have to be part of club approval project while we get on with it as ably demonstrated with the vaccine rollout !!

You Are Totally Deluded Capper to allude to the UK returning to a failed project - Do you need a "Through the Ears" brush to give your Brain a Clean !!!!!!
I knew that would get you griping but I'm confident, at some point down the line the question will raise it's head again and like every campaign, it will run until it succeeds. It will be the same with Scottish independence where should it occur, opposition will build. Independence itself has taken over 300 years to build to what it is today so there's no rush.

These are the consequences of democracy's and why we support them, everyone has the right to change their minds.

For now, and probably many years to come, it is not the priority or even remotely any kind of desire. Pushing Britain forward, investing in jobs, supporting businesses/self-employed and building public services are the way forward.

Just out of interest, would you be happy to pay a little more for your goods if they were British build to our excellent standards?

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 11 May 2021, 16:08

Yes well in 50 years time or so it may be a different set of conditions so who knows what a sensible decision would be - maybe it might be the reason to band together out of security threats from Russia/China and that may be quicker than even next year ! who knows but for now Brexit is the best show in town !! We'll all be dead by then so it's just the here and now we can only make judgements on !

In answer to your question, yes if you put a UK sticker on anything I for one would be prepared to pay extra and especially if the standard is excellent as you say - I always look to buy British anyway when possible !

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 11 May 2021, 16:58

CasRus wrote: 11 May 2021, 16:08 Yes well in 50 years time or so it may be a different set of conditions so who knows what a sensible decision would be - maybe it might be the reason to band together out of security threats from Russia/China and that may be quicker than even next year ! who knows but for now Brexit is the best show in town !! We'll all be dead by then so it's just the here and now we can only make judgements on !

In answer to your question, yes if you put a UK sticker on anything I for one would be prepared to pay extra and especially if the standard is excellent as you say - I always look to buy British anyway when possible !
Careful, we may agree on something.

As I said in an earlier post, the Tories have, for now, swallowed their bitter pill on spending and for Labour, it's now their turn to swallow theirs on Brexit. Done and dusted it is and it's all about making it work for Britain but I'm confident it will rear it's head again at some point. I still don't trust BJ and he'd have to do more than act the fool to convince me.

I also hope the public at large are happy to pay more, another challenge for Labour but one they should grasp with both hands.

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 14 May 2021, 10:18

Martin Kennedy, president of the National Farmers Union Scotland was left shocked after attending a meeting with the EU Commission to discuss trade in the sector. After the meeting, Mr Kennedy revealed the EU's door to trade and compromise with the UK was now firmly closed despite being a vital partner. Following the news of the EU's harsh and aggressive stance to a supposed ally, Express.co.uk readers reacted with fury over Brussels' position.

One person: "They are the same rivals as before Brexit but now more vicious and intent.

"It is war, treat it as such."

Another said: "Brexit still doing its job then scaring the hell out of them. Jolly good."

Although the EU and UK agreed the Trade and Cooperation Agreement in December, relations between the two sides have remained strained.

Indeed, in several areas, tensions have remained high due to the EU's hardline stance in sectors such as financial services and fisheries.

Commenting on the EU's stance, one reader claimed Brussels had now become "bitter" towards the UK.

Another reader said: "The only thing this goes to prove is how bitter and twisted the EU are.

"They are prepared to make their own people suffer just out of spite and jealousy of the fact that the UK is leaving them behind.

"They should keep in mind that we are barely into the freedom granted by Brexit and they are cringing at the UK success story so far.

"Wait and see what a couple of years brings for the rapidly declining world significance of the EU."

This week, Mr Kennedy took part in a meeting Copa, the body representing all the European farming unions, and Cogeca, which represents European farming cooperatives.

This allows groups across the continent to issue concerns to the Commission and provide a forum of debate for the industry.

However, following the meeting the NFU boss described the tone of conversation towards the UK as "incredible".

Although the EU remains an internal trading partner, he claimed Brussels wants to punish the UK for Brexit.

In a post on the NFU's website, he wrote: "What was blatantly obvious, given the response from the Commission to questions, was Brexit was a UK decision, therefore, the UK will have to face the consequences for any friction in trade or checks.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 14 May 2021, 10:42

Sorry, I don't believe any of that. We were assured leaving the EU would make no difference to trade, maybe even improve it. There'd be no barriers and no tariffs, etc.

Why would the government mislead us..?

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 02 Jun 2021, 18:20

Brexit victory dismantles Remainer nonsense - economic expert tears apart scaremongering
James Bickerton 9 hrs ago

Earlier this year the Japanese car maker announced another £500 million in spending for its Sunderland plant. It is now reportedly in advanced talks to build its biggest electric car battery factory outside Japan on the site.

According to the Financial Times, Nissan could boost could expand its existing battery manufacturer to produce 200,000 units per year.

The paper claims Kwasi Kwarteng, the business secretary, had a Zoom meeting two weeks ago with Nissan chief operating officer Ashwani Gupta.

Nissan is requesting hundreds of millions in state assistance to back the project.

This could come from a £500 million budget created by the Government to back electric battery production.

The UK is to ban the sale of new non-hybrid petrol and diesel cars from 2030 in a bid to cut carbon emissions.

If confirmed the new battery factory could open in 2024 creating several thousand new jobs.

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 02 Jun 2021, 23:16

Another piece of news that flies in the fave of the Project Fear campaign of 2016 CasRus. Another company Rolls Royce who attempted to terrify their workforce by threatening job losses in the event of Brexit this week opened a £90m state of the art testing faculty not in Brussels but Derby!

Project Fear was always going to frighten the likes of Cspper who likes the warm comforting arms of the state around him but thank god for us and the 17.4m others who have a pair

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 03 Jun 2021, 10:25

alftupper wrote: 02 Jun 2021, 23:16 Another piece of news that flies in the fave of the Project Fear campaign of 2016 CasRus. Another company Rolls Royce who attempted to terrify their workforce by threatening job losses in the event of Brexit this week opened a £90m state of the art testing faculty not in Brussels but Derby!

Project Fear was always going to frighten the likes of Cspper who likes the warm comforting arms of the state around him but thank god for us and the 17.4m others who have a pair
Is that the same Rolls Royce who cut 9,000 jobs last year?

I'd also like to give a thought to the long-standing fishing family who've had to sell their brand new trawler because the new arrangements mean they cannot fish.

I could also expand on the troubles in NI where the Unionists are deeply worried about the Border arrangements we said would have a catastrophic impact.

As is always the case with those of us who care, we look at the individuals rather than the multi-nationals who should be able to take care of themselves.

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 03 Jun 2021, 11:59

FIat Capper wrote: 03 Jun 2021, 10:25
alftupper wrote: 02 Jun 2021, 23:16 Another piece of news that flies in the fave of the Project Fear campaign of 2016 CasRus. Another company Rolls Royce who attempted to terrify their workforce by threatening job losses in the event of Brexit this week opened a £90m state of the art testing faculty not in Brussels but Derby!

Is that the same Rolls Royce who cut 9,000 jobs last year?

I'd also like to give a thought to the long-standing fishing family who've had to sell their brand new trawler because the new arrangements mean they cannot fish.

I could also expand on the troubles in NI where the Unionists are deeply worried about the Border arrangements we said would have a catastrophic impact.

As is always the case with those of us who care, we look at the individuals rather than the multi-nationals who should be able to take care of themselves.
Capper, it was always obvious there was going to have to be business re-structure with Brexit and some winners and some losers with newly formed methodologies coming out of the EU - It's just a question of adapting to a brave new business world and bringing in the massive opportunities Brexit presents and needs time/patience to establish which we are scheduled to start seeing the benefits over the next few years. Obviously some challenges but nothing we can't handle !!

I for one am so glad we can now move on making our own decisions rather than being run by a very corrupt EU cartel in Brussels who have always turned a blind eye to EU rule breaking by other EU countries whereas we have played by "Queensbury" rules - The Bad Smell of the EU is now lifting thank God !!

Just look at for example France and Spain who have been sticking the boot into us be it Gibraltar / stopping vaccines / blockading Jersey yet they are crying their eyes out for a Green status so that they can benefit from all our tourism money we have to spend - Hypocritical or what wanting our money but not wanting us to succeed or benefit !!! It's been like that for the past 40 years !!!!!!! I hope Boris sticks the boot back in to them and not allow Green Status !!