BREXIT - Good or Bad ??

General Chit-Chat is in here... New Members are invited to pop in and say hello!
CasRus
Danny Orr
Posts: 1081
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:28 pm

Re: BREXIT - Good or Bad ??

Post by CasRus » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:21 pm

There is a lot of speculation choose whichever standpoint you take on having either wanted to remain in or out of the EU.

What's Done is Done , it is now what it is and the proof of the pudding will obviously and indeed reveal itself to be right or wrong in the coming years as to which was the better course of action to have taken.

The best course of action now is to get behind Brexit and let's try to make it successful rather than torpedo'ing as that will not achieve anything and will make more damage than good.

This was never going to be easy to break away from the EU and yes there will be pain before the gain - I tend to think it will be a longer road to make an assessment on the decision to come out was made(probably a 5-10 year period) but personally right now, I'm quite convinced that the UK will be flying high at the end of the day and much better than being tagged down by a slow moving EU juggernaut which I believe will crash very soon anyway in the next 2-3 years !

Tigers1926
Junior Moors
Posts: 576
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:27 pm

Re: BREXIT - Good or Bad ??

Post by Tigers1926 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:44 pm

I'll tell you what we should do, and that is to look after ourselves and our own first before any immigrants who are in the UK or thinking of coming to the UK. We have to stop the handouts, the houses and benefits for starters. We have ex military men and women sleeping rough on the streets, so how dare anyone say a immigrant comes before those who have served our country and hit hard times. The French do have immigrants and i can tell you that they are not welcome whatsoever, as the French people are right wing and it is definitely French first for them. I have seen the local gendarmes on the old national roads in France pointing immigrants in the direction of Calais. As for having to rescue them, we shouldn't, as the French escort them from their waters to ours which is absolutely shocking and should not be happening. In fact we should be patrolling the edge of our waters to make sure it doesn't happen. Now we are out of the EU it should be easier to protect our borders and answer to nobody. The French and the Italians want to leave the EU, so watch this space. I bet there aren't many countries contributed more than the UK to help these countries out too. Give it a few years (which will fly by) and let's see where we are. We've absolutely got to be better off running ourselves than being told who can and can't come to the UK and in charge of our laws etc. I'll leave you with this one, a truck driver is responsible for any immigrants found in the back of their truck, even if they didn't know anyone is in the back of their truck, and it's a four figure fine for each one!!

User avatar
alftupper
Luke Gale
Posts: 3641
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:41 am

Re: BREXIT - Good or Bad ??

Post by alftupper » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:05 pm

On the subject of useless layabouts who contribute nothing to our economy and way of life, who let Feki in?

FIat Capper
Dean Widders
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:59 pm

Re: BREXIT - Good or Bad ??

Post by FIat Capper » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:32 am

alftupper wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:05 pm
On the subject of useless layabouts who contribute nothing to our economy and way of life, who let Feki in?
Unlike his efforts for Cas, he scored highly on the immigration points system! :D

CasRus
Danny Orr
Posts: 1081
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:28 pm

Re: BREXIT - Good or Bad ??

Post by CasRus » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:47 am

FIat Capper wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:32 am
alftupper wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:05 pm
On the subject of useless layabouts who contribute nothing to our economy and way of life, who let Feki in?
Unlike his efforts for Cas, he scored highly on the immigration points system! :D
Apparently he is now wowing his team mates in training !!! Hope that is a good sign for the Cas season to come !!

User avatar
alftupper
Luke Gale
Posts: 3641
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:41 am

Re: BREXIT - Good or Bad ??

Post by alftupper » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:22 pm

CasRus wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:47 am
FIat Capper wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:32 am
alftupper wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:05 pm
On the subject of useless layabouts who contribute nothing to our economy and way of life, who let Feki in?
Unlike his efforts for Cas, he scored highly on the immigration points system! :D
Apparently he is now wowing his team mates in training !!! Hope that is a good sign for the Cas season to come !!
Have a look on ‘all things tigers’ to see how his pre-season is going. Unfortunately when we hear of him ‘ripping it up’ in training it refers to his Achilles’ tendon not his effort.

CasRus
Danny Orr
Posts: 1081
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:28 pm

Re: BREXIT - Good or Bad ??

Post by CasRus » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:01 pm

:dance: :dance: :dance:

India trade deal worth £100billion is the ultimate Brexit dividend, Boris Johnson is told
BORIS JOHNSON has been told securing a massive trade deal with India is the ultimate Brexit dividend - and one which has the potential to rescue western democracy in the face of China's resurgence.
By CIARAN MCGRATH
PUBLISHED: 08:30, Sun, Feb 21, 2021 | UPDATED: 12:16, Sun, Feb 21, 2021

Daniel Hannan - officially, Lord Hannan of Kingsclere - was speaking after the visit to the country by International Trade secretary Liz Truss, during which she unveiled an enhanced trade partnership which could pave the way for a agreement some experts estimate could be worth as much as £100billion. Writing in the Telegraph, Lord Hannan, a former Tory MEP, said if any Western country could enjoy a “mutually beneficial” trade deal with India, led by President Narendra Modi, it was Britain, home as it was to 1.5million people of Indian descent.

“That complementarity derives, ultimately, from the fact that India, like Britain, is an Anglophone, common law, parliamentary nation – which might just prove the single most important geopolitical fact of the twenty-first century.”

The coronavirus pandemic has speeded up the shift in power from the West to China, which was the only major economy to have grown in comparison with last year.

Lord Hannan added: “Whether that shift also means a more authoritarian world depends largely on whether India self-defines primarily as an English-speaking democracy or as an Asian superpower.”

He said: “It is true that Britain’s relationship with India was not always easy, and the intellectual currents that have led to statue-smashing here are felt, too, on the subcontinent.

“Yet there is also an unmistakeable affinity and affection between the two countries – an affection that the free world may yet have cause to appreciate.”

Tigers1926
Junior Moors
Posts: 576
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:27 pm

Re: BREXIT - Good or Bad ??

Post by Tigers1926 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:56 am

Some facts there CasRus, and you can't argue with facts. As for China, countries and In particular the people of these countries, including the UK should stop relying on products and services from China. To me, it is one basket we should be very keen on keeping our eggs out of..

FIat Capper
Dean Widders
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:59 pm

Re: BREXIT - Good or Bad ??

Post by FIat Capper » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:44 am

Sadly, it contains no facts but at best a guestimate on how much the deal could be worth. What it doesn't clarify is who will benefit most from the trade deal.

As you point out 1926, we need to stop relying on cheap imports from China. However, simply replacing them with similarly cheap imports from India is not the bet way to improve our economy. We need trade deals that will require vast improvements to our manufacturing sector, creating jobs and reducing poverty, particularly in the 'Red Wall' areas BJ has promised to improve.

CasRus
Danny Orr
Posts: 1081
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:28 pm

Re: BREXIT - Good or Bad ??

Post by CasRus » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:44 pm

FIat Capper wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:44 am
Sadly, it contains no facts but at best a guestimate on how much the deal could be worth. What it doesn't clarify is who will benefit most from the trade deal.

As you point out 1926, we need to stop relying on cheap imports from China. However, simply replacing them with similarly cheap imports from India is not the bet way to improve our economy. We need trade deals that will require vast improvements to our manufacturing sector, creating jobs and reducing poverty, particularly in the 'Red Wall' areas BJ has promised to improve.
Glass Half Empty comment again eh Capper !! You need to start humming that Monty Python song "Always Look On The Bright Side of Life" going around doing your daily chores instead of reaching for that sharp knife to slit your wrists !! :-({|=

FIat Capper
Dean Widders
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:59 pm

Re: BREXIT - Good or Bad ??

Post by FIat Capper » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:33 pm

CasRus wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:44 pm
FIat Capper wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:44 am
Sadly, it contains no facts but at best a guestimate on how much the deal could be worth. What it doesn't clarify is who will benefit most from the trade deal.

As you point out 1926, we need to stop relying on cheap imports from China. However, simply replacing them with similarly cheap imports from India is not the bet way to improve our economy. We need trade deals that will require vast improvements to our manufacturing sector, creating jobs and reducing poverty, particularly in the 'Red Wall' areas BJ has promised to improve.
Glass Half Empty comment again eh Capper !! You need to start humming that Monty Python song "Always Look On The Bright Side of Life" going around doing your daily chores instead of reaching for that sharp knife to slit your wrists !! :-({|=
Oh contraire. I'm looking forward to drinking my Himalayan spring water out of my half-full Indian made [plastic] glass. :P

CasRus
Danny Orr
Posts: 1081
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:28 pm

Re: BREXIT - Good or Bad ??

Post by CasRus » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:33 pm

FIat Capper wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:33 pm
CasRus wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:44 pm
FIat Capper wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:44 am
Sadly, it contains no facts but at best a guestimate on how much the deal could be worth. What it doesn't clarify is who will benefit most from the trade deal.

As you point out 1926, we need to stop relying on cheap imports from China. However, simply replacing them with similarly cheap imports from India is not the bet way to improve our economy. We need trade deals that will require vast improvements to our manufacturing sector, creating jobs and reducing poverty, particularly in the 'Red Wall' areas BJ has promised to improve.
Glass Half Empty comment again eh Capper !! You need to start humming that Monty Python song "Always Look On The Bright Side of Life" going around doing your daily chores instead of reaching for that sharp knife to slit your wrists !! :-({|=
Oh contraire. I'm looking forward to drinking my Himalayan spring water out of my half-full Indian made [plastic] glass. :P
Touche !! ha ha !! nice to see you have a bit of comedy in you also Capper !! Yes get your Himalayan Fresh Unadulterated Spring Water before all the Glaciers melt away like the recent one and out of an Indian made glass (not plastic tut tut !!)

FIat Capper
Dean Widders
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:59 pm

Re: BREXIT - Good or Bad ??

Post by FIat Capper » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:51 pm

I know I don't come across as such but I do fully understand that the world is our oyster and free trade should be possible. I just strikes me that we are no longer in a position where we can demand the rules of deal.

Being part of one of the largest trading blocks in the world made our negotiating position stronger.

I can only live in hope that the Indian trade deal will see us net exporters, hopefully with the Green economy leading the way to help maintain those glaciers.

CasRus
Danny Orr
Posts: 1081
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:28 pm

Re: BREXIT - Good or Bad ??

Post by CasRus » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:19 pm

FIat Capper wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:51 pm
I know I don't come across as such but I do fully understand that the world is our oyster and free trade should be possible. I just strikes me that we are no longer in a position where we can demand the rules of deal.

Being part of one of the largest trading blocks in the world made our negotiating position stronger.

I can only live in hope that the Indian trade deal will see us net exporters, hopefully with the Green economy leading the way to help maintain those glaciers.
Don't forget the other trade deals in the pipeline especially the Oz/Canada tie up - there is also a lot of upsurge just going on with all of this as reports coming out today that the £ has got back to pre-brexit vote levels, confidence is returning and predictions are that we will bounce back very strongly on the economy which has been as a result of the vaccination program being rolled out fairly quickly. To sum it up, a whole lot of analysts are getting very excited on the UK's brightening prospects over the next few years so let's hope it all comes to fruition ! Space Rocket launch site in Cornwall backed by Branson and Green Tech as you say leading the way all point to massive growth potential also with other projects on the drawing boards !! We could become a Singapore/Mini China type growth economy if we play our cards right !!!

FIat Capper
Dean Widders
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:59 pm

Re: BREXIT - Good or Bad ??

Post by FIat Capper » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:28 pm

Don't forget, a lot of money can be made from importing goods and that remains my main worry. I've seen very little detail on the deals we've already struck and in particular, what they offer the exporters of this country.

I understand the upsurge in the pound is based on our vaccine program success and the likelihood we'll be able to start spending again soon. I'm worried the online shopping bonanza will expand and world trade deals will make it easier for overseas companies to move in on this market.

Post Reply