BREXIT - Good or Bad ??

General Chit-Chat is in here... New Members are invited to pop in and say hello!
CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: BREXIT - Good or Bad ??

Post by CasRus » 22 Feb 2021, 22:34

FIat Capper wrote: 22 Feb 2021, 18:28 Don't forget, a lot of money can be made from importing goods and that remains my main worry. I've seen very little detail on the deals we've already struck and in particular, what they offer the exporters of this country.

I understand the upsurge in the pound is based on our vaccine program success and the likelihood we'll be able to start spending again soon. I'm worried the online shopping bonanza will expand and world trade deals will make it easier for overseas companies to move in on this market.
Capper, did you used to walk around London carrying one of those BillBoards that read "The End Of The World is Nigh" !!
:) :) :)

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 23 Feb 2021, 12:33

No, I used to walk round blindly with a white stick in my hand in hope something good would suddenly appear.

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 27 Feb 2021, 12:56

Brexit - Reasons to be very optimisitic and, by the way, this is on top of a recent big Cornish discovery of Lithium Carbonate around St. Austell where the UK is poised to be a huge manufacturer of Electric Car Batteries that the EU will be desperate for - Note, we can dig ourselves out of the "covid causing" debt and beyond with these drawing board plans and the future could be exciting for all :-

Boris Johnson unveiled Britain's ambitious bid to phase out fossil fuel engines by 2030 last November as part of his pledge for a green revolution.

It formed part of a 10-point plan to create, support and protect hundreds of thousands of green jobs as the UK aims to become carbon neutral by 2050.

The Prime Minister said: "Our green industrial revolution will be powered by the wind turbines of Scotland and the North East, propelled by the electric vehicles made in the Midlands and advanced by the latest technologies developed in Wales, so we can look ahead to a more prosperous, greener future."

The areas the 10-point plan focus on are:

• Offshore wind: Producing enough offshore wind to power every home by 2030, supporting up to 60,000 jobs.

• Hydrogen: Creating the capacity to generate low carbon hydrogen for industry, transport, power and homes, and aiming to develop the first town heated entirely by hydrogen by the end of the decade.

• Nuclear: Advancing large scale nuclear plants and developing the next generation of small and advanced reactors, which could support 10,000 jobs.

• Electric vehicles: Accelerating the transition to electric vehicles, and transforming national infrastructure to better support the technology.

• Public transport, cycling and walking: Making cycling and walking more attractive ways to travel and investing in zero-emission public transport.

• Jet Zero and greener maritime: Research projects for zero-emission planes and ships.

• Homes and public buildings: Making homes, schools and hospitals greener, warmer and more energy-efficient, including a target to install 600,000 heat pumps every year by 2028.

• Carbon capture: Becoming a world-leader in technology to capture and store harmful emissions away from the atmosphere, with a target to remove 10 million tonnes of carbon dioxide by 2030.

• Nature: Protecting and restoring the natural environment, including planting 30,000 hectares of trees every year.

• Innovation and finance: Developing cutting-edge technologies and making the City of London the global centre of green finance.

The UK has legal a target to cut greenhouse gases to net-zero by 2050, requiring huge cuts to emissions and any remaining pollution from hard-to-treat sectors such as aviation "offset" by measures such as planting trees.

There is also pressure on the UK to set out ambitious action to tackle the climate crisis as hosts of the United Nations Cop26 summit which was delayed by the pandemic and is now taking place in Glasgow in November.

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 27 Feb 2021, 19:39

Some fantastic news there CasRus. The EU can stick it in their pipe and smoke it.. 🇬🇧💪

baldtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by baldtiger » 01 Mar 2021, 11:49

Sounds great news and massive opportunities for government investment , but we all know that is the last thing a Tory party will do . All they do is set up there millionaire mates , or foreign investors to reap all the profits . Still provide jobs though so not all bad .. A lot of this was in the labour party manifesto and was going to be run by government investment but the Tory press said it would bankrupt the country 😂😂😂

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 01 Mar 2021, 14:26

baldtiger wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 11:49 Sounds great news and massive opportunities for government investment , but we all know that is the last thing a Tory party will do . All they do is set up there millionaire mates , or foreign investors to reap all the profits . Still provide jobs though so not all bad .. A lot of this was in the labour party manifesto and was going to be run by government investment but the Tory press said it would bankrupt the country 😂😂😂
Well Bald Tiger, let's see shall we as they have made a commitment to level up the North South divide and invest in the North, so, once we hopefully get out out of this Billions of £s hit to the economy with Covid per Sunak having committed all these Billions of £s bail out for the common man and businesses to keep everybody afloat and coupled together with the huge cost of escaping the EU, there will need for the Tories to be given the time to get the country back on its feet.

In all fairness and as a point out from me on rights/wrongs, I will grant you and agree with you regarding the concern of what Matt Hancock has apparenty done with looking after his pub buddies with PPE contracts and without a "within 30 day" declaration and, for me, should be removed from his post if it is proven under proper investigation as that is "not on" especially as these mates of his had no experience and smacks of buddyism beyond limits !! I am sure this goes on lots within the country at county council/ward levels for example, be it Labour or Tory controlled areas and needs to be stamped out as a tender process should always be deployed.

I'm sure you Labour lot must be at least impressed with Sunak as he is at least carrying out a safety net campaign to the lower paid and looks like hitting middle to high level UK to pay the debt off in these unchartered nervous waters ! Let's hope these Millionaires will also invest their money to create jobs for all in picking up bust businesses where they see opportunity to refloat - Sunak if he's clever, should look to cut them a little bit of slack on tax if they are seen to place money into business investment to create jobs and restart the economy !

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 01 Mar 2021, 16:51

CasRus wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 14:26
I'm sure you Labour lot must be at least impressed with Sunak as he is at least carrying out a safety net campaign to the lower paid and looks like hitting middle to high level UK to pay the debt off in these unchartered nervous waters !
I’d like the furloughed to be taxed maybe by an extra few pence in the pound, only fair those who’ve benefited from the hand out bonanza the most pay their fair share back

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 01 Mar 2021, 16:57

alftupper wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 16:51
I'm sure you Labour lot must be at least impressed with Sunak as he is at least carrying out a safety net campaign to the lower paid and looks like hitting middle to high level UK to pay the debt off in these unchartered nervous waters !
I’d like the furloughed to be taxed maybe by an extra few pence in the pound, only fair those who’ve benefited from the hand out bonanza the most pay their fair share back
This sounds fair....

Tigers1926
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigers1926 » 01 Mar 2021, 20:36

What I'd like to see is the companies who have used the furlough scheme wrongly to be brought to account...

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 02 Mar 2021, 12:36

CasRus wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 12:56 Brexit - Reasons to be very optimisitic and, by the way, this is on top of a recent big Cornish discovery of Lithium Carbonate around St. Austell where the UK is poised to be a huge manufacturer of Electric Car Batteries that the EU will be desperate for - Note, we can dig ourselves out of the "covid causing" debt and beyond with these drawing board plans and the future could be exciting for all :-

Boris Johnson unveiled Britain's ambitious bid to phase out fossil fuel engines by 2030 last November as part of his pledge for a green revolution.

It formed part of a 10-point plan to create, support and protect hundreds of thousands of green jobs as the UK aims to become carbon neutral by 2050.

The Prime Minister said: "Our green industrial revolution will be powered by the wind turbines of Scotland and the North East, propelled by the electric vehicles made in the Midlands and advanced by the latest technologies developed in Wales, so we can look ahead to a more prosperous, greener future."

• Offshore wind: Producing enough offshore wind to power every home by 2030, supporting up to 60,000 jobs.

• Hydrogen: Creating the capacity to generate low carbon hydrogen for industry, transport, power and homes, and aiming to develop the first town heated entirely by hydrogen by the end of the decade.

• Nuclear: Advancing large scale nuclear plants and developing the next generation of small and advanced reactors, which could support 10,000 jobs.

• Electric vehicles: Accelerating the transition to electric vehicles, and transforming national infrastructure to better support the technology.

• Public transport, cycling and walking: Making cycling and walking more attractive ways to travel and investing in zero-emission public transport.

• Jet Zero and greener maritime: Research projects for zero-emission planes and ships.

• Homes and public buildings: Making homes, schools and hospitals greener, warmer and more energy-efficient, including a target to install 600,000 heat pumps every year by 2028.

• Carbon capture: Becoming a world-leader in technology to capture and store harmful emissions away from the atmosphere, with a target to remove 10 million tonnes of carbon dioxide by 2030.

• Nature: Protecting and restoring the natural environment, including planting 30,000 hectares of trees every year.

• Innovation and finance: Developing cutting-edge technologies and making the City of London the global centre of green finance.

The UK has legal a target to cut greenhouse gases to net-zero by 2050, requiring huge cuts to emissions and any remaining pollution from hard-to-treat sectors such as aviation "offset" by measures such as planting trees.

There is also pressure on the UK to set out ambitious action to tackle the climate crisis as hosts of the United Nations Cop26 summit which was delayed by the pandemic and is now taking place in Glasgow in November.
That's the economic drive I've been talking about for some time and as good as it is, it is not directly as a result of Brexit. Indeed, it will be reliant upon investment from many quarters, home and abroad and will be defined by any trade agreements we get, both in the EU and out of it.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 02 Mar 2021, 12:38

alftupper wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 16:51
That may be difficult to legislate for but either way, I assume you'll be happy to tax those SMB's that have also benefitted from hand outs?

barking
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by barking » 02 Mar 2021, 13:15

But the fish are happy to be British and "wee got are [REMOVED] bak" ............................. bloooo passports for the feeble minded innit

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 02 Mar 2021, 13:44

FIat Capper wrote: 02 Mar 2021, 12:36
CasRus wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 12:56 Brexit - Reasons to be very optimisitic and, by the way, this is on top of a recent big Cornish discovery of Lithium Carbonate around St. Austell where the UK is poised to be a huge manufacturer of Electric Car Batteries that the EU will be desperate for - Note, we can dig ourselves out of the "covid causing" debt and beyond with these drawing board plans and the future could be exciting for all :-

That's the economic drive I've been talking about for some time and as good as it is, it is not directly as a result of Brexit. Indeed, it will be reliant upon investment from many quarters, home and abroad and will be defined by any trade agreements we get, both in the EU and out of it.
Agreed as Not as a direct result of Brexit but more of a shift in technological advances / green policies where we need to invest in heavily and get first run on the EU while they fiddle around in Brussels and delay important decision making which I'm sooooh glad we are now away from and can get on with it - that's where Brexit has its advantages and you only need to look at the vaccine roll out as to why we are better off away from EU/Brussels and which their dithering has hammered a very big nail in the EU coffin !!! RIP EU !!!

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 02 Mar 2021, 14:24

One swallow and all that...

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 03 Mar 2021, 18:23

Well that's one hugely ambitious Budget of Staggering Proportions !!! I think the Tories have Out Laboured Labour !!!

Looks like they are looking to carry out the level playing field with investment all over the North including Leeds and a mention of Castleford within his proposals and Freeports sited in the North of England !!

There has been some thought put into all of this in giving all the tools and training and huge infrastructure spend to give the opportunity of the population to make it all work once they do and in the meantime provide the safety net for the less well off to at least keep afloat and be patient to await the big happenings they are intent on providing all of us with the opportunity to make it all work !!

It is obvious that the payback to reduce a mammoth deficit that will result will take years and be passed on to the younger end to see through the debt reduction but its a needs must as they say and its up to all of us to get behind it and make it work now they have decided to through the kitchen sink at it !

This is definitely "one very big roll of the dice with the UK chips all in" as I see it !! Let's hope everyone gets on the same page and then hope to make it all work, otherwise the UK will be finished as a world power !

Very Exciting but Plenty of Potentially Perilous Times ahead !! Strap Yourselves in Boys !!!!

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 03 Mar 2021, 18:26

Well that's one hugely ambitious Budget of Staggering Proportions !!! I think the Tories have Out Laboured Labour !!!

Looks like they are looking to carry out the level playing field with investment all over the North including Leeds and a mention of Castleford within his proposals and Freeports sited in the North of England !!

There has been some thought put into all of this in giving all the tools and training and huge infrastructure spend to give the opportunity of the population to make it all work once they do and in the meantime provide the safety net for the less well off to at least keep afloat and be patient to await the big happenings they are intent on providing all of us with the opportunity to make it all work !!

It is obvious that the payback to reduce a mammoth deficit that will result will take years and be passed on to the younger end to see through the debt reduction but its a needs must as they say and its up to all of us to get behind it and make it work now they have decided to throw the kitchen sink at it !

This is definitely "one very big roll of the dice with the UK chips all in" as I see it !! Let's hope everyone gets on the same page and then hope to make it all work, otherwise the UK will be finished as a world power !

Very Exciting but Plenty of Potentially Perilous Times ahead !! Strap Yourselves in Boys !!!!

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 04 Mar 2021, 08:45

I noticed the name check too, the frustration from the Labour Party is palpable they have lost their erstwhile northern heartlands. A post budget opinion poll also gave a public approval rating of 52% for what was essentially a tax raising budget.

and did I actually hear Starmer slamming the decision to approve a new deep coal mine in Cumbria?? That would have seen Capper and Barkingmad choking on their dinner I’m sure!

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 04 Mar 2021, 10:56

alftupper wrote: 04 Mar 2021, 08:45 I noticed the name check too, the frustration from the Labour Party is palpable they have lost their erstwhile northern heartlands. A post budget opinion poll also gave a public approval rating of 52% for what was essentially a tax raising budget.

and did I actually hear Starmer slamming the decision to approve a new deep coal mine in Cumbria?? That would have seen Capper and Barkingmad choking on their dinner I’m sure!
To Capper it All ! (See what I did there ! :D ) - See the following article and you tell me who labour voters should be voting for as it seems not to be Keir Starmer's Labour anymore !!!!! :-

Labour voters will remember! Keir Starmer sparks Red Wall outrage after 'shameful' remarks
SIR KEIR Starmer is facing a furious backlash after he launched an astonishing attack on Rishi Sunak's plans to create a new Treasury headquarters in Darlington.

The Chancellor's announcement, part of Boris Johnson's promised "levelling up" programme, was widely welcomed by leaders in the North East of England. But Sir Keir has sparked outrage in the region with remarks that appeared to disparage the town which had been a Labour stronghold for 27 years until the party's Red Wall meltdown in December 2019.
Speaking earlier on Wednesday, the Labour leader said: "Moving parts of the Treasury to Darlington, creating a few freeports and re-announcing funding. That isn't levelling up, that is giving up."
His comments were seized upon by local MP Peter Gibson who unseated Jenny Chapman when he secured a 3,294 majority in the 2019 election landslide.
A furious Mr Gibson tweeted: "On a day that the town I represent received good news this is what Keir Starmer had to say. Shameful.
"Labour voters in Darlington will remember this for a long, long time."
A local voter said: "This Government has done more for the North East in one year than every other party as far back as Nissan.
"Labour think if they keep the North East with lack of investment opportunities they will continue to vote for them.
"We are no longer the Labour stronghold they relied on."
Tees Valley's elected Tory mayor Ben Houchen said the decision to move hundreds of Treasury jobs to Darlington proved the area deserved a place "at the top table of Government”.
He welcomed the new Treasury campus, dubbed Treasury North, coming to the region - apparently beating Leeds, Newcastle and Bradford to the prize.

FIat Capper
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by FIat Capper » 05 Mar 2021, 12:19

I think you'll find Starmer is suggesting the moves by the Tories are token gestures rather than the massive genuine investment that is needed in the North East and elsewhere.

There are also serious questions about the "levelling up" criteria where Richmondshire, N Yorks (Sunak's constituency), which is ranked 253rd most deprived area of the UK, is earmarked for levelling up funds but Barnsley (38th) and Sheffiled (93rd) aren't.

As we have always known, the Tories look after their own.

Whilst I welcome many of the measures in the budget I also appreciate the acknowledgement about about how it's more Labour than Labour. It isn't but the use of many measures Labour have previously called for is welcome although I am struggling to understand the contradiction of Tories who slammed the Labour proposal of raising Corporation tax in 2015.

The impact of freezing lower level tax allowances will also detrimentally impact many of the poorest paid in our society for years to come but hey ho, Reese-Mogg's overseas monies won't be affected.

Most importantly of all, this thread is about Brexit but I wouldn't expect the Tory lot to understand or follow rules...

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 05 Mar 2021, 14:53

FIat Capper wrote: 05 Mar 2021, 12:19 I think you'll find Starmer is suggesting the moves by the Tories are token gestures rather than the massive genuine investment that is needed in the North East and elsewhere.

There are also serious questions about the "levelling up" criteria where Richmondshire, N Yorks (Sunak's constituency), which is ranked 253rd most deprived area of the UK, is earmarked for levelling up funds but Barnsley (38th) and Sheffiled (93rd) aren't.

As we have always known, the Tories look after their own.

Whilst I welcome many of the measures in the budget I also appreciate the acknowledgement about about how it's more Labour than Labour. It isn't but the use of many measures Labour have previously called for is welcome although I am struggling to understand the contradiction of Tories who slammed the Labour proposal of raising Corporation tax in 2015.

The impact of freezing lower level tax allowances will also detrimentally impact many of the poorest paid in our society for years to come but hey ho, Reese-Mogg's overseas monies won't be affected.

Most importantly of all, this thread is about Brexit but I wouldn't expect the Tory lot to understand or follow rules...
Capper, your argument is as weak as what Starmers was after Sunak had announced the budget !

Token gestures as you say - I don't think so !! When you look at a £12 Billion set up fund going into Leeds to create a number of jobs along with the Humber, Teeside, Liverpool Freeports planned with others, Darlington getting a massive lift also. There is plenty of levelling up planned in Northern Regions !! And this is just a snapshot as there's other stuff I could mention that runs to further £Billions of Northern Investment !

I can also tell you that in normal circumstances Corporation Tax would have not been raised but it's a needs must when £Billions has disappeared in dealing with the pandemic and providing all co workers with furlough, universal credit assistance and grants/loans etc and is the one of the ways way to tax the "haves" rather than the "have nots" so to bring this up as a "ooh look at the Tories slamming Labour" just does not cut through one bit ! Raising Corporation tax (and by the way is slewed to hit the richest profit making companies) will have an effect on future company investments but Sunak has provided the incentive to provide tax relief if they do (which I did mention in my previous post prior to him announcing it in his budget !!) - It's a very clever design !!

So, in essence I don't know why you are indeed struggling to understand as I thought you were a bit more intelligent to have understood it rather than bleating on about all this when the biggest hit will be on the ones with the broadest shoulders !!

And yes this thread is entitled Brexit, however all this discussion is meant to be expanded as it all ties into the whats, whys and wherefores which does affect Brexit !

If your Red Jezza'd Labour Lot wouldn't have seen Brexit as being the "silver bullet" torpedo to try to gain power these past few years which in effect stymied the UK into LimboLand for that amount of time costing untold economic damage and costing Billions in the process and tried instead to unravel a democratic referendum for the people and by the people and not supporting the best Brexit deal for the country, we would have been in an even better place to deal with this pandemic.

I dread to think where we would have been if Labour had have been in power these past years in trying to to deal with this pandemic disaster as they would have had already raised corporation taxes etc and spent the lot and the coffers would have been empty like they did last time they were in power !!

It's Tory prudence that had at least provided a bit of a war chest to deal with the vaccination program, provided furlough etc that has kept this country buoyant - Thank God most of your red wall northern colleagues had the intelligence to vote the Tories in I say ! Jezza would have been an absolute disaster and would have now be asking for uncorroborated/dodgy Russian Sputnik vaccinations from his mate Putin !!