Who else do we need?

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Who else do we need?

Post by Casmoley » 15 Apr 2019, 18:16

HuddsTigers wrote:
Sharlotiger wrote: How many have come through on Powells watch that have gone on to be SL regulars either with us or elsewhere?
Wouldn't like to guess at 2012/2013 when he took over as some may have been at the club before (e.g. Charlie Martin/Dan Fleming)

But after that we've had these all part of the first team squad:
* Ash Robson (York)
* Will Maher (Cas)
* Tom Holmes (Huddersfield)
* Brandon Moore (Halifax)
* Jordan Howden (Doncaster)
* Brandon Douglas (Doncaster)
* Brad England (Doncaster)
* Kieran Gill (Cas)
* Brandon Westerman (Unattached)
* Conor Fitzsimmons (Newcastle)
* Luke Million (Keighley)

Plus Jacques O'Neill, Turner, Storey and Carr. Don't know of any other ones in academy that have gone on to other clubs

Jack Rayy is at Dewsbury and Jack Render at Fev.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 15 Apr 2019, 18:26

Back to the thread, I think most of us are along the same lines.

For me, FB, Halves and Back row (SR/LF) are sorted for the next few seasons (to be honest, I think we could even shed a few from these positions).

Centre, wing and prop are probably my target areas. Happy with Eden on the wing but would prefer a stronger right-edge winger with Minikin/Clare, Gill and Carr as back-up. RE: Minikin/Clare, it's whichever DP feels offers better quality but also better value for money. Gill deserves a chance - think he's scored in every game he's played and this season is the time to blood him a bit.

Centre-wise, happy with Blair and Shenton but would like another centre brought in as decent cover with Storey as an understudy. Not convinced by Egodo and wouldn't have Minikin.

Prop - Cook has been fab this season and Watts awesome, Clark great impact sub. But I do wonder how long Millo has left in his legs and Moors' form has been patchy this season too. I also prefer him out wide

To be honest, I'd be looking at cutting one of Minikin/Clare, one of Ellis/Rankin, Aston, Maher, Egodo, Clarkson and using the cap space on those 3 positions plus anything spare. Gives us a squad of

FB: Matuatia/Turner
W: Eden/NEW SIGNING/Minikin or Clare/Gill/Carr
C: Blair/Shenton/NEW SIGNING/Storey
HB/SH: Trueman/Gale/Ellis or Rankin/Sweeting
P: Watts/Cook/Millo/NEW SIGNING/Clark/Smith/Peachey
H: McShane/O'Neill
SR: McMeeken/Foster/Jesse/Holmes/Moors
LF: Massey/Milner

31 man squad, down from 33 this year. 6 out, 3 in plus Sweeting promoted in the halves.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

SREGITSAC
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SREGITSAC » 15 Apr 2019, 21:42

Very good honest interview with Wells on Tigers TV about recruitment and the process they are going through looking at requirements up to 2022

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 15 Apr 2019, 22:03

SREGITSAC wrote:Very good honest interview with Wells on Tigers TV about recruitment and the process they are going through looking at requirements up to 2022

You wouldn’t like to be minikin or Egodo listening to that interview. Can’t see much of a future at Cas for either.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 15 Apr 2019, 22:33

Casmoley wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:
Sharlotiger wrote: How many have come through on Powells watch that have gone on to be SL regulars either with us or elsewhere?
Wouldn't like to guess at 2012/2013 when he took over as some may have been at the club before (e.g. Charlie Martin/Dan Fleming)

But after that we've had these all part of the first team squad:
* Ash Robson (York)
* Will Maher (Cas)
* Tom Holmes (Huddersfield)
* Brandon Moore (Halifax)
* Jordan Howden (Doncaster)
* Brandon Douglas (Doncaster)
* Brad England (Doncaster)
* Kieran Gill (Cas)
* Brandon Westerman (Unattached)
* Conor Fitzsimmons (Newcastle)
* Luke Million (Keighley)

Plus Jacques O'Neill, Turner, Storey and Carr. Don't know of any other ones in academy that have gone on to other clubs

Jack Rayy is at Dewsbury and Jack Render at Fev.
luis johnston went to wire but is now on loan to leigh.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 16 Apr 2019, 02:23

I did ask how many had gone on to be regular SL players lol. Thought Luis was now at Widnes?

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 16 Apr 2019, 05:33

Sharlotiger wrote:I did ask how many had gone on to be regular SL players lol. Thought Luis was now at Widnes?
Think “not many” is the answer you wanted!!!

dettoriman
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: Dettoriman

Post by dettoriman » 16 Apr 2019, 06:49

It's irrelevant what we need. We won't be signing anyone else of huge quality. And I would rather not waste our time signing squad players and put some faith in the youth set up.

In an ideal world.

We need David Fifita. Tom Johnstone both who are now tied to long deals at Wakey.

As well as a ball playing top quality back rower/loose. In the Ben Currie mould.

And get shot of Rankin and Ellis and sign Jackson Hastings as Luke Gales replacement long term

We aren't gonna get them. Or anything close to that quality.

We've just made a huge song and dance about someone who's been playing reserve grade in Aus lately.
Loyalty Costs Nothing !

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 16 Apr 2019, 07:08

Sharlotiger wrote:I did ask how many had gone on to be regular SL players lol. Thought Luis was now at Widnes?
Apologies, I read it as how many had gone on to be SL players at Cas or moved on elsewhere in Powell’s time.

In terms SL regulars. Zip.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 16 Apr 2019, 07:09

All we wont is a Millionaire who wants to throw his cash away, then we could start writing our shopping list , till then we are CAS we do things on the cheap beating some of the richer teams on the way, would I support any one else not bloody likely

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 16 Apr 2019, 07:33

dettoriman wrote:It's irrelevant what we need. We won't be signing anyone else of huge quality. And I would rather not waste our time signing squad players and put some faith in the youth set up.

In an ideal world.

We need David Fifita. Tom Johnstone both who are now tied to long deals at Wakey.

As well as a ball playing top quality back rower/loose. In the Ben Currie mould.

And get shot of Rankin and Ellis and sign Jackson Hastings as Luke Gales replacement long term

We've just made a huge song and dance about someone who's been playing reserve grade in Aus lately.
I agree with most of your post mate but I think Blair was a terrific signing and will be a big success he played most of last year as starting centre for the best team in the nrl I've not seen much of the melbourne games this season but I know theve got a really talented young centre who's name escapes me who I presume theve decided to go with this season and they usually run into salary cap problems so had to off-load players
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 16 Apr 2019, 09:27

I was critical of John wells for not having signed a centre before the start of the season and sure enough we've being all over the place on one side of the field chopping and changing players but you can't fault the signings and the fact we've spent cash to get players not something most clubs do these days
Vince Lombardi

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 16 Apr 2019, 09:43

dettoriman wrote:It's irrelevant what we need. We won't be signing anyone else of huge quality. And I would rather not waste our time signing squad players and put some faith in the youth set up.

In an ideal world.

Unfortunately this is dead true.

Personally I’d bring Westerman home. He’s a Cas / Powell player through and through and would load up our pack with another forward who is big and can more than play at the line.

We still need a wing man, although Minikin may well return to form. Either way, we need another outside back.

Peanut will go even better with a settled triangle of players/moves. Including gale.

As per usual, we’re 2/3 players away from being a true threat, when everyone is fit and healthy.

On Blair, I’m worried. IS he that good?
Audacter Et Sincere

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 16 Apr 2019, 09:46

In an ideal world.

Unlikely we will get anyone else this season true, unless it's Thomas Minns or another Craig Harrison player.
Blair is a good signing though (providing his ankle injury is fully recovered). You can't sniff at a player who has played 1st grade at Melbourne and won minor premier titles. Plenty of players have had spells in reserve grade in Aus and come over here with much less 1st team experience but still been quality: Millo, Jesse, Rangi to name a few.
Millo will be on his way either end of this year or next. There will be those you mentioned too along with Maher, Aston, either Egodo, Minikin or Gill. So we will guaranteed be recruiting 1-2 more players for next season who should be a decent quality.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 16 Apr 2019, 09:56

Agree about matautia he needs to play full-back and when gale comes back you will see the best of him I didn't mean we should rest on our laurels there is work still needed to be done to improve the side
Think Blair will be a big success but we will see when the lad starts playing
Vince Lombardi

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 16 Apr 2019, 18:59

Casmoley wrote:
SREGITSAC wrote:Very good honest interview with Wells on Tigers TV about recruitment and the process they are going through looking at requirements up to 2022

You wouldn’t like to be minikin or Egodo listening to that interview. Can’t see much of a future at Cas for either.
What's been said like ?

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 16 Apr 2019, 20:21

fords wrote:
Casmoley wrote:

What's been said like ?
Wells says Blair is the new starting centre. He has not come to bring competition for places.

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 16 Apr 2019, 20:25

It's a bit like fantasy football on here. "Get rid of Mr X and sign Mr Z". "We need 3 more players" blah.blah.blah.

There's something called the salary cap in rugby league that prevents you from having a shopping list of players. Time for a few supporters to get in the real world.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 16 Apr 2019, 23:52

In an ideal world.

and you know this? no you don't and i'm telling you you will be surprised.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

The Firm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by The Firm » 17 Apr 2019, 00:21

lurcher wrote:

In an ideal world.

and you know this? no you don't and i'm telling you you will be surprised.
I hope he is as he is probably exactly right with what we need!