Next Year's Squad

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Next Year's Squad

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 06 Nov 2018, 08:29

Waffle been a poor expensive signing and has not delivered. Remember saying at the time that he wouldn’t make an impact. He hasn’t been good wherever he has played and was a big gamble that hasn’t paid off

Ellis has also been a big waste of time. Free up a good amount of money if they both went.

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 06 Nov 2018, 10:42

Lofthouse Tiger wrote:Waffle been a poor expensive signing and has not delivered. Remember saying at the time that he wouldn’t make an impact. He hasn’t been good wherever he has played and was a big gamble that hasn’t paid off

Ellis has also been a big waste of time. Free up a good amount of money if they both went.
Dont think we being useing right topping on waffle treacle better and Ellis hate too much of them lol

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 06 Nov 2018, 10:43

Lofthouse Tiger wrote:Waffle been a poor expensive signing and has not delivered. Remember saying at the time that he wouldn’t make an impact. He hasn’t been good wherever he has played and was a big gamble that hasn’t paid off

Ellis is on a low wage and has had to play a lot of games covering injuries, id hardly call that a waste of money.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 06 Nov 2018, 11:09

flow wrote:

Dont think we being useing right topping on waffle treacle better and Ellis hate too much of them lol
:lol:
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 06 Nov 2018, 11:40

jackknife wrote:

Ellis is on a low wage and has had to play a lot of games covering injuries, id hardly call that a waste of money.
I agree, We would have really struggled without Ellis last season.
Although he’s not top class, he did a job for us and whilst he’s never going to be first choice SH or SO or hooker, he is a useful squad member as he can cover a few positions in case of injuries. Having said that, Roberts covers the same positions and more, but on a higher wage.
The question is, how many of this type of player can we have????

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 06 Nov 2018, 11:55

We finished 3rd with Ellis playing many games. He was brought in as half back cover on a squad members wage so we didn't have to play Macca or Millo in halves. I call that good business. You can't have four star halves in any salary capped squad.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 06 Nov 2018, 12:08

Can you tell me how many games Ellis controlled when he played? How many match winning performances did he put in? 3 years salary is still a lot of money for a 4th choice when we have plenty of options.

As for Wardle he has done nothing at all so far and he is paid much more you would think. Supposed to be a “Big signing” when he arrived. Proved to be expensive for not much in return so far. Can we afford to give players 2 seasons to get up to speed if we are to get over the line with a major trophy?

BigBez10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by BigBez10 » 06 Nov 2018, 12:37

Lofthouse Tiger wrote:Can you tell me how many games Ellis controlled when he played? How many match winning performances did he put in? 3 years salary is still a lot of money for a 4th choice when we have plenty of options.

As for Wardle he has done nothing at all so far and he is paid much more you would think. Supposed to be a “Big signing” when he arrived. Proved to be expensive for not much in return so far. Can we afford to give players 2 seasons to get up to speed if we are to get over the line with a major trophy?
I think the main positive for playing Ellis was that it allowed us to keep McShane in his most effective position. Ellis didn't need to be a match winner, he just needed to be solid while filling in which I think he was.

da_jimbob_7
League One Player
League One Player
Twitter: Jimmothylad

Post by da_jimbob_7 » 06 Nov 2018, 12:48

Lofthouse Tiger wrote:Can you tell me how many games Ellis controlled when he played? How many match winning performances did he put in? 3 years salary is still a lot of money for a 4th choice when we have plenty of options.
What are the stats for him then?
Games started
Win/Loss record

He doesn’t need a match winning performance if other ‘star’ players step up. He needs to come in, play his part, do his role and jobs a good one. I think he did that. He kicked well when needed. Knows the recquirements of super league.
Without him we would have faced the prospect of trueman and another junior/Ashton playing in the halves or weakening other positions to play people out of position.
Ellis offers better value than Roberts for me.

Long live the Tigers!!!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 06 Nov 2018, 13:00

Trueman and gale with Ellis as back up is how id go next season I'd have offered Roberts around to clubs agreeing to pay half his wage to get him off are books and free up a good bit of salary cap
Obviously he might not want to go anywhere and stay at cas for his last year same as Ellis or Wardle might not want to leave
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

westyorkylad
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westyorkylad » 06 Nov 2018, 13:21

Cant understand all the Wardle bashing to be honest, don't think the guy has ever been fully fit this year seems to have struggled from one injury to another which is just part and parcel or RL.

When he has played his defence, especially some of his covering tackles and most importantly his contact has for the most part been pretty impressive, lacks a bit of pace perhaps, but then he was never an out and out speedster.

Seems a good quality solid super league standard player to me.

Its the same old story every year in the off season, if we're not signing Billy Slater, Cam Smith or Ruben Wiki then we wont finish in the top half of the table yet alone the top four, then we have our star half back and arguably our most important player out for 3/4 of the season and still finish 3rd, lets have a bit of faith and wait and see what happens.

For what its worth, I agree we do need a new centre, really don't think Sau is the answer, he's average at best, but he would no doubt do a job in terms of options and competition for places, that's the best I think you could hope for with his signing, if it came of.

All obviously just my own personal opinion of course. :-"

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 06 Nov 2018, 13:33

That first game he played at Hull in the centre, he absolutely mullered Jake Kelly all game. That's the Wardle I want to see. He now has a pre-season to shake off the niggles and come back fitter. He already looked to have lost some weight back end of the season.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 06 Nov 2018, 13:33

orrsome wrote:
jackknife wrote:

Although he’s not top class, he did a job for us and whilst he’s never going to be first choice SH or SO or hooker, he is a useful squad member as he can cover a few positions in case of injuries. Having said that, Roberts covers the same positions and more, but on a higher wage.
he was given the number 6 shirt for last season.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 06 Nov 2018, 13:36

lurcher wrote:
orrsome wrote:
jackknife wrote:

he was given the number 6 shirt for last season.
I fully thought we had signed him as our starting stand off. No one could of forseen that Trueman would step up and make it his own. Ellis probably couldn't believe his luck when he signed and was given the 6 shirt.

Weird how things change, we started the season with 1. Roberts 6. Ellis 7. Gale and ended it with 1. Mata'tiua 6. Trueman 7. Gale

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 06 Nov 2018, 14:19

If you think Ellis couldn’t believe his luck what does that tell you? I bet he thought it was Christmas when he was offered a 3 year deal.

Ellis before Roberts? Roberts is far more versatile and can cover 3 positions, Ellis can’t.

McShane at SH is better than Ellis and he would be very effective, maybe not as much as he is at 9 but still contributes massively. Gale, Truman, Roberts and McShane. Why do we need a 1 trick pony on a 3 year deal?

BigBez10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by BigBez10 » 06 Nov 2018, 14:50

Lofthouse Tiger wrote:If you think Ellis couldn’t believe his luck what does that tell you? I bet he thought it was Christmas when he was offered a 3 year deal.

Ellis before Roberts? Roberts is far more versatile and can cover 3 positions, Ellis can’t.

McShane at SH is better than Ellis and he would be very effective, maybe not as much as he is at 9 but still contributes massively. Gale, Truman, Roberts and McShane. Why do we need a 1 trick pony on a 3 year deal?
The point is surely that playing Ellis negates the need to swap and change players away from their most potent positions.

Ellis in the halves with McShane at hooker and Milner playing loose > McShane in the halves, Milner at Hooker and another forward coming in...

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 06 Nov 2018, 14:58

I just believe that the money spent on Ellis and Wardle could be put to much better use. I don’t see what value they give us when we are struggling for a new centre/winger/prop.

Same as Aston and Clare.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 06 Nov 2018, 15:07

Ellis played to his standard Clare did better than I thought he would Aston was never seen hard to see what the thinking was especially Ellis three years deal even tho it wouldn't be a lot of
money he was on
Wardle was playing well for Newcastle in the nrl most people I think thought he was a good signing
Vince Lombardi

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 06 Nov 2018, 15:12

So I your post you don’t appear to believe the 3 you mentioned are what we need or good enough? That’s how I see those 3 players.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 06 Nov 2018, 15:16

I think we lost the plot for a while after the hardaker business
Vince Lombardi