Castleford eyeing Webster replacement

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Castleford eyeing Webster replacement

Post by tigerfeat » 30 Oct 2018, 08:51

If your going to play a forward in the centres all during the season when there's injuries to your starting centres rarther than play one of your young centres to see what they can do your going to arrive at the end of the season not quite knowing if there good enough or not
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 30 Oct 2018, 09:26

the pre season Friendly's is the right time to try any of our young guns Egodo as been playing at Bradford in the centre, Gill when he was at Oldham played centre, Storie our under 19 player has helped his wing partner score a staggering 39 try's in a short season, what have we to loose by giving them a go ??

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 30 Oct 2018, 09:33

Nothing but you can't judge them much in a friendly when the intensity is less, clubs don't always play their first team, and there's nothing on the line. Remember thinking Luke Million looked a prospect a few years ago and he's now just signed for Keighley.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 30 Oct 2018, 09:52

Yeah learn very little playing them on boxing day there were games and oppertunitys during the season to play them
It is what it is that's the way Powell likes to go I just think we're missing a trick at times with our youngsters
Vince Lombardi

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 30 Oct 2018, 10:32

fords wrote:
mart0042 wrote:Are there any direct quotes from Cas or is it just rubbish. I guess we'll know soon.

For what is worth, I don't think the nrl players we've been linked with are with show me the money players.
"Tigers’ sources have told League Express that they are happy with the strength of the squad for next season"

By this they probably mean people on this forum ….
So it's tosh and rumour. Making news about the obvious is just poor journalism.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 30 Oct 2018, 10:38

Storey and Carr should be blooded now at league one or championship level. Increase the intensity. I've been impressed with what I've seen could be a very good one side option.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 30 Oct 2018, 12:29

mart0042 wrote:Storey and Carr should be blooded now at league one or championship level. Increase the intensity. I've been impressed with what I've seen could be a very good one side option.
Get Sau in for a year or 2 and play Storey, Carr, Gill, Egodo sparingly over those 2 years whilst loaning them to a championship team. They will be ready then for 2022 as starters if not before depending on their progress.

Or we could sign a proven centre and risk them going elsewhere

Or we could play people out of position and risk them going elsewhere

Options are a plenty it seems.

What i don't understand is that recruitment is planned a year or 2 in advance so they must have known Webster was going this year, so how do we end up at the cap limit with no recognised right centre ?

I can only imagine DP made his mind up that Minikin would take his spot and then PM has done so well at FB that's now his role. If that is the case then for me we need a better starting right winger than Clare.

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 30 Oct 2018, 12:48

we also have Alex foster?

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 30 Oct 2018, 12:52

I think, in fact, I’m pretty certain, that Jon and Daryl want an outside back. Now. More specifically a centre, which would allow minikin to act as centre cover and fight for a wing spot with Jimbo Clare.

In all honesty, I think we need a centre, winger, and an additional full back. That is my opinion. With emphasis on a proven three quarter able to break the line and dish the aggression in defence. The other two could be projects, or, we can use gill egodo storey Turner etc

If we’re to be best positioned to win a comp, we need an already polished 2 of the 3 players. Imo.

I think it’s essential that we get ONE!

The club have never usually announced that we must have this or that, and don’t act like Derek Beaumont in terms of promises. When we had watts and matautia, we ‘hoped’ we’d get them. We’re like that now.

I’d be very disappointed if we don’t have one on board before the turn of the year.

I then think we’ll pick up another soon into the season, it’s a well established tactic that Powell likes to keep space open for early season fall outs or out of favour guys and will be waiting to pounce.
Audacter Et Sincere

John
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by John » 30 Oct 2018, 14:45

mart0042 wrote:Storey and Carr should be blooded now at league one or championship level. Increase the intensity. I've been impressed with what I've seen could be a very good one side option.
Carr has scored a lot of trys but he has been having DP shown how to do it as his technique is bad but carr is no where near ready for 1st team and has only sign a 1 year 19s contract although he can score trys from his centers his def is not there also needs to get a lot bigger storey will play 19s next season i would think as they will need him DP will never send year 3s on loan if he wants to keep them could see storey getting a shot end of next season and of cause pre season

John
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by John » 30 Oct 2018, 15:34

Dont forget in 2020 we will have a res team so the young ones will be able to play in that team

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 30 Oct 2018, 16:43

The problem is very few championship sides want to blood a 18/19 year old when they have their own players some of which rely on that wage. Leeds have used fev and Bradford recently using duel reg but as shown with fev it can quickly go sour when regular players move on.

Another factor is we can barely field a 19s side never mind allowing 3/4 lads out on loan even though its not always the best for a young players development. Running a reserves in 2020 is a step in the right direction but I just hope it isn't done on the cheap.

John
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by John » 30 Oct 2018, 16:57

braytontiger wrote:
The problem is very few championship sides want to blood a 18/19 year old when they have their own players some of which rely on that wage. Leeds have used fev and Bradford recently using duel reg but as shown with fev it can quickly go sour when regular players move on.

Another factor is we can barely field a 19s side never mind allowing 3/4 lads out on loan even though its not always the best for a young players development. Running a reserves in 2020 is a step in the right direction but I just hope it isn't done on the cheap.
You know it will be done on the cheap how many in the u19s are on less than min wage

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 30 Oct 2018, 17:41

Lewis Carr, the club are hoping the lad can bulk up in the off season they have given a target weight they would like him to attain. next year he will be set another target , the lad is only just 18 and only slightly built if he can bulk up and retain the speed and skills he as we will have an hell of a player, IF we can keep hold of him

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 30 Oct 2018, 17:46

gateman wrote:Lewis Carr, the club are hoping the lad can bulk up in the off season they have given a target weight they would like him to attain. next year he will be set another target , the lad is only just 18 and only slightly built if he can bulk up and retain the speed and skills he as we will have an hell of a player, IF we can keep hold of him
That's no different to any other player they are all given targets. Lewis is no exception.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 30 Oct 2018, 19:45

braytontiger wrote:
gateman wrote:Lewis Carr, the club are hoping the lad can bulk up in the off season they have given a target weight they would like him to attain. next year he will be set another target , the lad is only just 18 and only slightly built if he can bulk up and retain the speed and skills he as we will have an hell of a player, IF we can keep hold of him
That's no different to any other player they are all given targets. Lewis is no exception.

And your point is?
Audacter Et Sincere

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 30 Oct 2018, 21:46

braytontiger wrote:
the point I was trying to make is it will take a couple of years before the lad has the size to compete in super league , I wrote this for any of our fans who do not attend our under 19s matches

John
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by John » 30 Oct 2018, 23:13

gateman wrote:
braytontiger wrote:
the point I was trying to make is it will take a couple of years before the lad has the size to compete in super league , I wrote this for any of our fans who do not attend our under 19s matches
If people did attend they would relise that he is a few years away before SL he still a very long way off a lot better players in the 19s but he young we will see

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 31 Oct 2018, 00:27

Thats correct geteman, they've done the same with a lot of players including minikin.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 31 Oct 2018, 07:34

Nice to know we've some good prospects in the under 19s always like to hear what you've got to say about them
Vince Lombardi