Castleford eyeing Webster replacement

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Nobody
Academy Player
Academy Player

Castleford eyeing Webster replacement

Post by Nobody » 29 Oct 2018, 13:01

Castleford remain interested in the acquisition of a new centre for 2019, report League Express.

Former New Zealand international Jake Webster left the Tigers to join Bradford Bulls at the end of last season and League Express reports that although they would like to bring in a new signing, they are not in a rush to make one. With the club having signed Liam Watts and Peter Mata’utia midway through 2018, Tigers’ sources have told League Express that they are happy with the strength of the squad for next season.
🐯 COYF!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Castleford eyeing Webster replacement

Post by tigerfeat » 29 Oct 2018, 13:15

cue junior sau being announced...
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 29 Oct 2018, 13:19

I genuinely hope we do sign a new centre and don't just promote within for the sake of saving a few quid. I wouldn't be surprised to see Benny take the #3 shirt. Not only would a new centre sort out problems out, but a new face in the squad could rejuvenate, what looked like a tired side towards the back end of the middle 8's.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 29 Oct 2018, 13:33

I hope to god Roberts doesn’t take the center spot.
Another square peg in a round hole, just like last season when it didn’t work out at fullback.
Don’t we ever learn.
We need a recognised center, a powerful one.
I do dispare.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 29 Oct 2018, 13:47

Roberts won't play centre it would nearly be as daft a idea as thinking he would be a full-back
Vince Lombardi

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 29 Oct 2018, 13:53

Nobody wrote:Castleford remain interested in the acquisition of a new centre for 2019, report League Express.

Former New Zealand international Jake Webster left the Tigers to join Bradford Bulls at the end of last season and League Express reports that although they would like to bring in a new signing, they are not in a rush to make one. With the club having signed Liam Watts and Peter Mata’utia midway through 2018, Tigers’ sources have told League Express that they are happy with the strength of the squad for next season.
Tigers’ sources have told League Express that they are happy with the strength of the squad for next season

I hope not. Clare is not a starting winger. Decent backup id say.

You cant go with just Shenton and Minikin as our only centres for 2019. Get one signed up there are a few about it seems would fit the bill.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 29 Oct 2018, 14:04

Are there any direct quotes from Cas or is it just rubbish. I guess we'll know soon.

For what is worth, I don't think the nrl players we've been linked with are show me the money players.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 29 Oct 2018, 14:14

fords wrote:
Nobody wrote:Castleford remain interested in the acquisition of a new centre for 2019, report League Express.

Tigers’ sources have told League Express that they are happy with the strength of the squad for next season

You cant go with just Shenton and Minikin as our only centres for 2019. Get one signed up there are a few about it seems would fit the bill.
were one good signing from where we want to be as you said elsewhere theres plenty of good centres to look at wells will surely get one over the line
Vince Lombardi

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 29 Oct 2018, 14:16

tigerfeat wrote:
fords wrote:

were one good signing from where we want to be as you said elsewhere theres plenty of good centres to look at wells will surely get one over the line
Fingers crossed he does :pray: :pray:

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 29 Oct 2018, 14:22

mart0042 wrote:Are there any direct quotes from Cas or is it just rubbish. I guess we'll know soon.

For what is worth, I don't think the nrl players we've been linked with are with show me the money players.
"Tigers’ sources have told League Express that they are happy with the strength of the squad for next season"

By this they probably mean people on this forum ….

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 29 Oct 2018, 14:26

"Tigers’ sources have told League Express that they are happy with the strength of the squad for next season"

Hardly likely to come out and say “our three quarter options are shocking and we desperately need new blood for 2019”....

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 29 Oct 2018, 21:56

A top class centre will be hard to find without breaking the bank, clubs will not let top class players go unless there as been a massive fallout to sign a centre on who is only as good as we have at the club at present would be a folly , I would prefer to wait for the right one to come along

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 29 Oct 2018, 22:10

gateman wrote:A top class centre will be hard to find without breaking the bank, clubs will not let top class players go unless there as been a massive fallout to sign a centre on who is only as good as we have at the club at present would be a folly , I would prefer to wait for the right one to come along
But that is the problem. Apart from Shenton, none of the others have player that position in SL for more than a handful of games - Minikin, Gill, Egodo are the options we have at present. We need to strengthen in this position otherwise we will go backwards in 2019.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 29 Oct 2018, 22:34

Fumper27 wrote:
gateman wrote:A top class centre will be hard to find without breaking the bank, clubs will not let top class players go unless there as been a massive fallout to sign a centre on who is only as good as we have at the club at present would be a folly , I would prefer to wait for the right one to come along
But that is the problem. Apart from Shenton, none of the others have player that position in SL for more than a handful of games - Minikin, Gill, Egodo are the options we have at present. We need to strengthen in this position otherwise we will go backwards in 2019.
Absolutely agree fumper.
It’s glaringly obvious we’re we need to strengthen.
I’m sure the club know this.
Thing is surely the club knew jake wouldn’t have his contract renewed.
So why haven’t we been looking since the start of last season.
If we have been looking, I’d rather DP not keep saying he’s happy with who we’ve got to fill that spot. If we do go with minikin and Clare down the right............ [-X

SREGITSAC
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SREGITSAC » 30 Oct 2018, 03:28

Fumper27 wrote:
Minikin has played Centre for Cas in over 20 competitive games since 2016

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 30 Oct 2018, 06:21

SREGITSAC wrote:
Fumper27 wrote:
So an average of 7 games a season makes him the player we need to replace Webster. I hope I’m wrong but fear I won’t be.

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 30 Oct 2018, 06:56

As it stands we have very little cover for any of the outside backs positions other than young players. Having no competition for starting shirts can only be a bad thing when you want players going into pre-season impressing and pushing hard for a starting shirt come February

Its glaringly obvious that not only would a centre put pressure on both shenton and minikin in turn the wingers would then be pushed by the above for their shirts.

Competition rises standards both on and off the field,the club know this and that's why a new centre should be a priority.

betts21
League One Player
League One Player

Post by betts21 » 30 Oct 2018, 08:15

Fumper27 wrote:
SREGITSAC wrote:
Fumper27 wrote:
So an average of 7 games a season makes him the player we need to replace Webster. I hope I’m wrong but fear I won’t be.
Suprised at that number i do think it could be his best position though as he has great footwork just needs to work on his passing game. The main worry is all our centres at the moment bar shenny are projects

SREGITSAC
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SREGITSAC » 30 Oct 2018, 08:28

Fumper27 wrote:
SREGITSAC wrote:
Fumper27 wrote:
It’s certainly more than a handful of games at centre and he’s more than doubled this with wing appearances, which I’m sure you’ll be aware of.

What I don’t understand is how you expect these younger developing players to come into the first team if they aren’t good enough to play? We do need more depth at centre and wing but at some point we need to trust in the players we have, they are on the system for a reason and if they don’t get their chance they are just wasting everyone’s time.

We are never going to replace Webster with a clone, you move on and someone else makes that role their own.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 30 Oct 2018, 08:43

But the young players are not given a chance and that's why we're in frankly a ridiculous situation when we knew Webster was going to be a centre short
I remember the home game against Catalan early last year a perfect oppertunity to play egodo and he didn't get a game
Vince Lombardi