Next Year's Squad

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Next Year's Squad

Post by Fumper27 » 15 Oct 2018, 20:24

Casmoley wrote:
Fumper27 wrote:
heritage1926 wrote:I’d love to see Foster given the #3 shirt for 2019. He was playing his best rugby for us in the centres before injury. Pound for pound he’s one of the toughest we’ve got for his size. A bit like Milner, plays well above his size. He’s mobile and quick and defensively solid. He certainly wouldn’t let us down.
No no no. Foster is our equivalent to John Bateman for Wigan and needs to be in the back row.

Foster needs to play. But does he get picked in the back row over two England international's Holmes and Mcmeeken
For me he does. Mcmeekan is too hit and miss and tends to go missing in the big games. I like Holmes and very similar player to Foster but based on the past 18 months, I’d take Alex every time.

betts21
League One Player
League One Player

Post by betts21 » 15 Oct 2018, 22:07

I honestly think he's class where ever but his stint In the centre this year was by far the best games anyone's played there this year give him a pre season in that position trim him down a bit more ad some pace work he could be a revelation hits hard runs hard and attracts defenders allowing a winger more space.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 15 Oct 2018, 22:32

Or - here’s something from left field (well, slightly). We give Calum Turner a chance at full back going into the season and play Mata’utia at centre.

Turner
Minikin
Mata’utia
Shenton
Eden
Trueman
Gale
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 15 Oct 2018, 22:43

betts21 wrote:I honestly think he's class where ever but his stint In the centre this year was by far the best games anyone's played there this year give him a pre season in that position trim him down a bit more ad some pace work he could be a revelation hits hard runs hard and attracts defenders allowing a winger more space.
Thought he looked good at centre but don’t remember seeing him pass much which is crucial

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 15 Oct 2018, 22:44

Tamworth Tiger wrote:
betts21 wrote:I honestly think he's class where ever but his stint In the centre this year was by far the best games anyone's played there this year give him a pre season in that position trim him down a bit more ad some pace work he could be a revelation hits hard runs hard and attracts defenders allowing a winger more space.
Thought he looked good at centre but don’t remember seeing him pass much which is crucial
Strong runner and solid tackler but not the best passer so wouldn't work at centre long term
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 15 Oct 2018, 22:46

HuddsTigers wrote:Or - here’s something from left field (well, slightly). We give Calum Turner a chance at full back going into the season and play Mata’utia at centre.

Turner
Minikin
Mata’utia
Shenton
Eden
Trueman
Gale
Yes that would be my plan also ...
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by the machine » 15 Oct 2018, 22:51

tigerfeat wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:Or - here’s something from left field (well, slightly). We give Calum Turner a chance at full back going into the season and play Mata’utia at centre.

Turner
Minikin
Mata’utia
Shenton
Eden
Trueman
Gale
Yes that would be my plan also ...
Or send turner out on dual reg and go with Minikin if we're unable to free up funds
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Swagger » 16 Oct 2018, 06:57

Pete is our best shot at full back. He has proven himself there in the last few week. After a full pre season with Gale and Truey, he will be even better. Why change him to centre?

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 16 Oct 2018, 07:37

I think we will see

FB Mata’utia
LW Eden
LC Shenton
RC Minikin
RW Clare
SO Truman
SH Gale

And I wouldn’t be surprised to see us add a centre during the season and might even see Gill and Egodo a bit more.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 16 Oct 2018, 08:47

its a shame that we could not have placed Egodo in the championship , with all due respect playing in league one would hardly help him improve his game, some of the clubs in this league are hardly above the likes of lock Lane and Normanton, when I have seen him play like Gill both these Lads are not far off first team

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 16 Oct 2018, 08:51

I'm happy with the squad we have personally and can see us kicking on again next season. Just a shame that Springer hasn't stepped up to offer more competition for places. Our best 17 on paper is up there with the best in the league.

I'm hoping that likes of Wigan and Leeds go through transitioning periods next season, although I've just seen on social media, that Leeds are close to bringing over a major signing.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 16 Oct 2018, 09:07

Hull have signed Jordon Thompson and Matty Dawson both these lads though solid would be hard pressed to get into the present CAS team

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 16 Oct 2018, 09:18

gateman wrote:Hull have signed Jordon Thompson and Matty Dawson both these lads though solid would be hard pressed to get into the present CAS team
As good a squad as we have, the last 2yrs we have had a chance to win the GF but come up short on both occasions. So do we carry on with pretty much the same people and hope they can do it or look to try and add 2 quality signings to get us over the line.

Seems our prob is we have over paid current players and now have no room to bring in said 2 players of quality.

Having said that if we can get a full pre season and a injury free year out of Foster and Springer that's like 2 new players.

If Storey , O'Neil and Turner can come on at the rate Trueman has then we will be in a very healthy position

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by the machine » 16 Oct 2018, 09:21

heritage1926 wrote:I'm happy with the squad we have personally and can see us kicking on again next season. Just a shame that Springer hasn't stepped up to offer more competition for places. Our best 17 on paper is up there with the best in the league.

I'm hoping that likes of Wigan and Leeds go through transitioning periods next season, although I've just seen on social media, that Leeds are close to bringing over a major signing.
Justin O'Neill and Shaun Fensom are two of the names rumoured

Michael Jordan

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 16 Oct 2018, 09:27

That's why I don't rule Turner out as getting the number one jumper I remember Darryl talking about him once last season and you could tell how much he rated him
Its big calls Darryl has to make were very close but he got it totally wrong last of season thinking Roberts could be a full-back maybe he was left with little option
I expect him to nail it this pre season
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 16 Oct 2018, 09:35

DP now has pre season to decide who stays and who goes. Springer has got the winter to prove his worth IMO, otherwise it's been 3/4 wasted years. The kid has talent and i'd love him to fulfil it, even if it isn't with us. He was sought after last year by a few clubs, Toronto being one of them, we should cash in if need be.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 16 Oct 2018, 10:04

the machine wrote:
heritage1926 wrote:I'm happy with the squad we have personally and can see us kicking on again next season. Just a shame that Springer hasn't stepped up to offer more competition for places. Our best 17 on paper is up there with the best in the league.

Justin O'Neill and Shaun Fensom are two of the names rumoured
O’Neill has signed a new contract hasn’t he? I’m sure thts what a Leeds Twitter account said yesterday.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

John
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by John » 16 Oct 2018, 10:49

fords wrote:
gateman wrote:Hull have signed Jordon Thompson and Matty Dawson both these lads though solid would be hard pressed to get into the present CAS team
As good a squad as we have, the last 2yrs we have had a chance to win the GF but come up short on both occasions. So do we carry on with pretty much the same people and hope they can do it or look to try and add 2 quality signings to get us over the line.

Seems our prob is we have over paid current players and now have no room to bring in said 2 players of quality.

Having said that if we can get a full pre season and a injury free year out of Foster and Springer that's like 2 new players.

If Storey , O'Neil and Turner can come on at the rate Trueman has then we will be in a very healthy position
O'Neill played for leigh in the championship sheild by all accounts the lad had a great game played nealy a full game fans excited about him maybe dp should show what he can do suprised the lad has not been given a chance yer as for turner had 1 good game from 5 played poor for the 19s all season so maybe out on loan for experiance then see

John
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by John » 16 Oct 2018, 10:54

Justin O'Neill is stopping with the cowboys for 2019

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 16 Oct 2018, 11:53

It's not George Burgess, but he has come out and said in an interview this week that he'd like to play for Leeds at some point.