Structure change - can’t be complacent

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Re: Structure change - can’t be complacent

Post by mart0042 » 11 Oct 2018, 10:12

As one of the few clubs making money, we might be OK for a while. Our gain would be the fall of other clubs. It suddenly makes Toronto and their money much more important.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 11 Oct 2018, 10:20

mart0042 wrote:As one of the few clubs making money, we might be OK for a while. Our gain would be the fall of other clubs. It suddenly makes Toronto and their money much more important.
We've got to make the most of the moment if we don't we will start to go back
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 11 Oct 2018, 11:44

tigerfeat wrote:
mart0042 wrote:As one of the few clubs making money, we might be OK for a while. Our gain would be the fall of other clubs. It suddenly makes Toronto and their money much more important.
We've got to make the most of the moment if we don't we will start to go back
Fully agree. We should get quality in over quantity. I rather lose 5 and get 2 starters. We have a strong squad and good juniors ready to step up.

Webbo, jy. Qlt, Douglas who we know are going /gone, plus maybe 2 other squad players

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 11 Oct 2018, 12:45

Lofthouse Tiger wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:My biggest worry at the moment, which came to me the other day, is a worry that with the structure change from next season it could breed complacency.

As a club, the threat of the bottom 4 has been a real kick up the backside and we have really turned it around. With the risk being reduced significantly (just the one spot), and it may not just be at Cas either, is that we take the foot off the pedal again.

I sincerely hope not but I would hope anyone at the club reading this realises that we need to keep this level of ambition. As fans we don’t want to go back to cheap signings, or players on huge salaries, and mid table mediocrity.
Do you really think that “People at the club” read any of this and listen? Really?

As for cheap signings Hudds isn’t that what we saw last winter?

Totally agree that the fans don’t want what we had u see previous CEOs so let’s hope the new structure works well, I am sure it will.

The club did/do monitor this forum. They're fans as much as anyone and more often than not the forum is a barometer of current mood, though only a small representation of the fanbase.

I don't think we saw cheap signings per se. I think we saw a recruitment that was probably hindered by Hardaker and then a drawn-out process that was resolved and completed far too close to the season starting.

I also think we're into the difficult realms in that we now have a very good squad with little tweaking required. It's been said once or twice by the coaches and Directors that the last thing we want to do is upset the applecart and morale by bringing in players and making the current players feel unwanted.

The players that went last season were Lynch, Monaghan, Larroyer, Million and Holmes, plus a couple of kids. In my mind, Clark has offered as much as Lynch did last season, Clare has more than adequately covered Monaghan, and Wardle while not pulling up trees, has probably been as good as Larroyer.

Ellis for Holmes is arguable but then it could be argued that the rise of Trueman has been an upgrade on Holmes. So was the recruitment bad or was it just that our expectations were higher given the season before?

Two factors played a part on how this season panned out for me - Hardaker/full-back situation, and the lack of pre-season for some of our players meaning less gelling time. Completely the opposite this season with Trueman/Gale not in international scene now and Mata'utia also unlikely to get in the squad.

My concern for the new structure (as is the case with the play-offs) is that it essentially creates a mantra of 5th (or before 8th, 4th etc) will do. The club needs to keep a high level of ambition, it should want to become the pride of Yorkshire in a flagship new ground with a larger fanbase and success on the pitch. For me, that means backing Powell in the transfer market and giving him the best squad possible by signing players who are going to compete for the first team and not just squad players. Players should appreciate the challenge and also see it as a chance to win something in their careers, than a risk to their position.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 12 Oct 2018, 10:18

So far the club has backed DP. Watts and peanut are outstanding. A couple more of that ilk and luck and with injuries and we'll be battling on all fronts.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 12 Oct 2018, 11:05

mart0042 wrote:So far the club has backed DP. Watts and peanut are outstanding. A couple more of that ilk and luck and with injuries and we'll be battling on all fronts.
We may battle but without some quality additions especially in the three quarters we will start to go backwards pretty quickly.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 12 Oct 2018, 11:29

Sharlotiger wrote:
mart0042 wrote:So far the club has backed DP. Watts and peanut are outstanding. A couple more of that ilk and luck and with injuries and we'll be battling on all fronts.
We may battle but without some quality additions especially in the three quarters we will start to go backwards pretty quickly.
The game isn't won or lost at centre and we have a good spine and pack. We bat deep in those positions.

I think we'll bring in strength in the backs. Minikin will be a good centre foster is a different type of player but can be effective. Wardle played all his early career at left centre.

I'd take a fullback and peanut to centre. We have then Turner, Gill. Egodo, storey and is it carr the winger.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 12 Oct 2018, 11:40

Lewis Carr is still young just gone 18 but to score 39 try's in a short season takes some doing his center partner Robbie Storey and Turner at fullback helped to set them up lets hope these three kick on to the first team

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 12 Oct 2018, 12:50

Correct that man :dance: :dance: :dance:

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 15 Oct 2018, 09:53

gateman wrote:Lewis Carr is still young just gone 18 but to score 39 try's in a short season takes some doing his center partner Robbie Storey and Turner at fullback helped to set them up lets hope these three kick on to the first team
This is the year for them to step up if required. Get them out on dual reg with recall so they are match ready.

That's certainly the next step for Turner and the 19s ineligible at that level. It'll be different in 2020 with the reserves coming back. Douglas had 2 years out and hasn't made it yet (forwards taker longer, yes)

ERG2012
League One Player
League One Player

Post by ERG2012 » 15 Oct 2018, 18:42

mart0042 wrote:
gateman wrote:Lewis Carr is still young just gone 18 but to score 39 try's in a short season takes some doing his center partner Robbie Storey and Turner at fullback helped to set them up lets hope these three kick on to the first team
This is the year for them to step up if required. Get them out on dual reg with recall so they are match ready.

That's certainly the next step for Turner and the 19s ineligible at that level. It'll be different in 2020 with the reserves coming back. Douglas had 2 years out and hasn't made it yet (forwards taker longer, yes)
Douglas has gone to Doncaster - not a Cas player any more

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 17 Oct 2018, 10:12

ERG2012 wrote:
mart0042 wrote:

Douglas has gone to Doncaster - not a Cas player any more
But we might hold his super league registration or have an agreement with him. I don't know. In two years, Millo, cookie and junior might be gone. He may get his chance then.

Ultimately if players have to leave to get us the players at need now, if rather it wasn't first teamers. We have Clark, Springer and Maher as projects.