Daryl Powell

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Daryl Powell

Post by tigerfeat » 11 Oct 2018, 13:38

I don't know but I'd guess we got 150 grand left of cap if not we need to do some wheeling and dealing the team needs a couple of good new players in who will make a difference otherwise it will be the same story we've got used too
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Swagger » 11 Oct 2018, 13:56

I thought we only need 75k cap space for a marque signing? Then the other 75k is wiped off.

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 11 Oct 2018, 14:53

Maher, Aston and Springer are failed projects and need to be removed from the payroll ASAP. Every penny spent on their wages is a penny wasted. The first two were never even project material for me, just a mistake taking them on for so long.

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 11 Oct 2018, 15:11

Swagger wrote:I thought we only need 75k cap space for a marque signing? Then the other 75k is wiped off.
The marquee rule is that you can pay 2 players whatever you like with only the first 150k per player counting on the cap.

The exception to this is if you as a club have produced that player (he played at least 3 seasons within your club at academy, reserve or first team level before the age of 21). This being the case only the first 75k of their wages counts on the cap.

So for example at Wigan the marquee players are Ratboy and Williams who both count as 75k each.

At Warrington the marquee player was Tyrone Roberts who counted as 150k on their cap. Likewise Barbra at Saints.

So in order to bring in eg. Cooper Cronk and pay him 1m a season you would have to have 150k spare on your salary cap.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 11 Oct 2018, 15:18

It strikes me that the exceptionally high 3 quality signings Saints have made so far, alongside I think the genuine quality in their ‘project signing’, really outline the ambition and commitment made to their fans, sponsors and squad surrounding securing silverware.

We are on a level playing field.

We should be doing the same. Big signing or small signing - we need and demand quality now.
Audacter Et Sincere

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 11 Oct 2018, 16:31

To make a marquee signing first and foremost the right player in the right position as to be available. To me the one position we need a world class player would be in the centre. Another question would be are we actively looking for anyone and exploring the possibility of bringing in such a player.

Like many people on here I've seen us drop down the league like a stone more than once for the want of getting in a bit of quality. Great making profits whilst the iron is hot but if you don't build on success those profits can quickly turn into losses.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 11 Oct 2018, 17:18

the club want to sell season tickets, no way would I want us to go into the red but if season ticket sales are going to increase we have to speculate to accumulate, a lot of you like myself buy into the season tickets knowing full well we are going to miss games

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 11 Oct 2018, 17:35

alftupper wrote:Maher, Aston and Springer are failed projects and need to be removed from the payroll ASAP. Every penny spent on their wages is a penny wasted. The first two were never even project material for me, just a mistake taking them on for so long.
I assume we gambled on Maher in the same way we took a punt on Massey in his development, who is now first choice.

I think it's unfair on Aston to judge him when he's not played first team and we have had no insight into Powell's plans with him, what the expectations were of him when we signed him, and also what we see in the future from him. He was never signed as a week in, week out first teamer.

Springer is weird as he's clearly suffered from injuries but he's not fulfilled his potential YET. But you're right in that we need to make a decision on these players in the near future and whether we can use the cap space more effectively if we're to keep our position at the top end of the table.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 12 Oct 2018, 08:05

Maher was a project, which hasn't worked. We took him from Cumbria purely for his size. The reason we have persisted with him for so long is because he's come from Cumbria and they've invested time and money in to him.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 12 Oct 2018, 08:38

heritage1926 wrote:Maher was a project, which hasn't worked. We took him from Cumbria purely for his size. The reason we have persisted with him for so long is because he's come from Cumbria and they've invested time and money in to him.
And its all been a waste. Get rid now and stop wasting money on him.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 12 Oct 2018, 08:42

fords wrote:
heritage1926 wrote:Maher was a project, which hasn't worked. We took him from Cumbria purely for his size. The reason we have persisted with him for so long is because he's come from Cumbria and they've invested time and money in to him.
McShane and Milner are probably the 2 smallest lads in the team, yet have the biggest hearts of the lot. Shame the likes of Maher and Springer don't.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 12 Oct 2018, 10:00

2 of the biggest players with the smallest hearts. I wouldn’t keep either.

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 12 Oct 2018, 11:07

heritage1926 wrote:
fords wrote:
McShane and Milner are probably the 2 smallest lads in the team, yet have the biggest hearts of the lot. Shame the likes of Maher and Springer don't.
Everyone understands that Maher was signed as a project, my point is why has it taken 4 years for us to (hopefully) conclude he’s no good or more to the point never will be.

I think the problem with Springer is more the size of his engine than his heart.

As for Aston, I’ve no idea what we were thinking.