Structure change - can’t be complacent

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Structure change - can’t be complacent

Post by HuddsTigers » 06 Oct 2018, 11:33

My biggest worry at the moment, which came to me the other day, is a worry that with the structure change from next season it could breed complacency.

As a club, the threat of the bottom 4 has been a real kick up the backside and we have really turned it around. With the risk being reduced significantly (just the one spot), and it may not just be at Cas either, is that we take the foot off the pedal again.

I sincerely hope not but I would hope anyone at the club reading this realises that we need to keep this level of ambition. As fans we don’t want to go back to cheap signings, or players on huge salaries, and mid table mediocrity.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Structure change - can’t be complacent

Post by tigerfeat » 06 Oct 2018, 11:51

Would be folly to take the foot of the pedal we've built up a great support new ground about to be built record profits announced but we do need to make the signings we need to be able to win games like last night and spend some of them profits on improving the squad or will slip back no doubt about that
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mucky1978 » 06 Oct 2018, 12:30

People need to stop panicking we finished miles ahead of 5th with half of team missing most of season.

We got beat by the better team on the night a team who’s lost one at home all season.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 06 Oct 2018, 13:13

It isn’t panicking to worry that the club may think there’s no need to recruit as we are “safe”, and just be happy taking the Sky money and plodding along as a mid table team.

We need to keep the quest for success, that intensity and the investment in all areas.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 06 Oct 2018, 13:20

Barring Watts mid season and Clark, last year's recruitment was the worst since Steadman was coach.
As people already have said: Shenny, Millo, Roberts all past their best now.
Webbo gone. Springer a waste of a squad spot. I don't think Wardle has been a good buy. We have much bigger needs.
We have to address these if we want to have a genuine chance of more silverware.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 06 Oct 2018, 13:30

What's with Milo being finished he's had some great games this season
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 06 Oct 2018, 13:31

HuddsTigers wrote:It isn’t panicking to worry that the club may think there’s no need to recruit as we are “safe”, and just be happy taking the Sky money and plodding along as a mid table team.

We need to keep the quest for success, that intensity and the investment in all areas.
Good post rugby like any other business as to keep reinventing things or get taken over by competers not become pound shop off rugby doing things on cheap need five new players winger 2 centres recognized old fashion loose forward and another prop

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 07 Oct 2018, 00:35

I simply could not go back to contributing / supporting a club pre 2013.it really is that simple for me.
I need to see the club is being managed and run by someone clearly better than what I know I could probably do the job and whom I respect.
It is right now.
We just need to take stock right now of the playing squad and do what is required.
Audacter Et Sincere

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 07 Oct 2018, 09:11

I think the whole game’s biggest worry is the size and quality of the playing pool. There seems to be too many youngsters being tossed on the scrap heap at 19 and too many Championship teams totally under strength even some of the supposedly better clubs like Leigh and Featherstone.
In Superleague the limit of 12 teams including probably one in Canada is likely to further reduce the chances of home grown players, the best of whom are likely to head down under anyway.
In those circumstances, whilst the worries about recruiting are fair, they will become critical if we are complacent about our ambitions as a club.A number of recent signings have been influenced by our on field success and the quality of our coaching team, but if we do not advance our stadium and on the back of it our training facilities we will soon become unfashionable.
The total sidelining of our players for man of steel and dream team is a big concern, as was our poor showing in the England squad, particularly as with due respect to Adam Milner whom I really like as a player, is a lucky boy to be included on recent form. We have a shining light in Trueman but he isn’t our product. We need to start bringing our own through, and fast

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 07 Oct 2018, 09:17

Two of our under 19s who played for GB last year left for different reasons one is at Leeds the other Warrington the club ought to have pulled all stops out to retain these two

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 07 Oct 2018, 12:07

gateman wrote:Two of our under 19s who played for GB last year left for different reasons one is at Leeds the other Warrington the club ought to have pulled all stops out to retain these two
Big players were offered deals to stay. Both chose to leave. What else could the club do?? Pay over the odds like we used to do in the bad old days?

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 07 Oct 2018, 12:10

tigerfeat wrote:What's with Milo being finished he's had some great games this season
I don't think he is finished but he is not the player he was. No big offload game. Not as damaging running lines. Plays like a pivot on more plays than ever.
Age and injury have reduced how effective he is from this year's showing. Yes he has had a couple of standout games, Hull at home and Wakefield for example, but he doesn't give us the go forward he used to do and is only getting older.

Smudger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Smudger » 07 Oct 2018, 12:43

With the obvious desire to improve the club and win trophies, why would you honestly believe Powell and his team would even think of taking the foot off the pedal? The bloke is gutted when we lose, probably more than most fans are!
As for making quality signings, we seem to have got most from the 'cheap signings' as you call them... I think you need to show a bit more faith in the club and its coaching staff and be happy that being a 'top four club' is becoming a reality, something we could only dream about only a few years ago.
COYF!
You don't want to do it like that! :) :) :)

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 07 Oct 2018, 12:57

Don’t know who that was aimed at but as far as I’m concerned what Powell has done on the playing side is phenomenal and I have every faith in him
I am rarely critical of the club but do think there are one or two risk areas mainly caused by the state of the game in general which we need to keep an eye on

Smudger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Smudger » 09 Oct 2018, 12:04

I was replying to the o/p (I know it doesn't happen much on forums!) :)
The only problem on the horizon is possibly a reduction of Sky money in a couple of years, so will that send more clubs into financial meltdown or make them canny with recruitment and not blow £sss on 'big name' end of career players. I hope so as Powell seems to be good at bringing players on.
You don't want to do it like that! :) :) :)

Nobody
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nobody » 09 Oct 2018, 12:33

Don't think our defence needs much work, however our attack has been rubbish, short or ideas and creativity. The left wing and the ball out the back door to the fullback has been way over used and we are so predictable going forward. We need to come up with some new plays / combinations in the off season and hope Trueman takes the 6 shirt from the off. He runs at the line a lot more than Benny or Luke and his kicking game is far superior to Benny. His defence is improving week on week.
🐯 COYF!

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 09 Oct 2018, 19:31

Nobody wrote:Don't think our defence needs much work, however our attack has been rubbish, short or ideas and creativity. The left wing and the ball out the back door to the fullback has been way over used and we are so predictable going forward. We need to come up with some new plays / combinations in the off season and hope Trueman takes the 6 shirt from the off. He runs at the line a lot more than Benny or Luke and his kicking game is far superior to Benny. His defence is improving week on week.
Only Saints and Wire scored more tries..

Nobody
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nobody » 09 Oct 2018, 20:19

cogito ergo sum wrote:
Nobody wrote:Don't think our defence needs much work, however our attack has been rubbish, short or ideas and creativity. The left wing and the ball out the back door to the fullback has been way over used and we are so predictable going forward. We need to come up with some new plays / combinations in the off season and hope Trueman takes the 6 shirt from the off. He runs at the line a lot more than Benny or Luke and his kicking game is far superior to Benny. His defence is improving week on week.
Only Saints and Wire scored more tries..
Yeah just seen that, ignore me lol clearly don't know what I'm on about. Must be that I got used to last season when we were scoring tries for fun :oops:
🐯 COYF!

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 09 Oct 2018, 20:35

HuddsTigers wrote:My biggest worry at the moment, which came to me the other day, is a worry that with the structure change from next season it could breed complacency.

As a club, the threat of the bottom 4 has been a real kick up the backside and we have really turned it around. With the risk being reduced significantly (just the one spot), and it may not just be at Cas either, is that we take the foot off the pedal again.

I sincerely hope not but I would hope anyone at the club reading this realises that we need to keep this level of ambition. As fans we don’t want to go back to cheap signings, or players on huge salaries, and mid table mediocrity.
Do you really think that “People at the club” read any of this and listen? Really?

As for cheap signings Hudds isn’t that what we saw last winter?

Totally agree that the fans don’t want what we had u see previous CEOs so let’s hope the new structure works well, I am sure it will.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 11 Oct 2018, 10:03

Mysterio wrote:I simply could not go back to contributing / supporting a club pre 2013.it really is that simple for me.
I need to see the club is being managed and run by someone clearly better than what I know I could probably do the job and whom I respect.
It is right now.
We just need to take stock right now of the playing squad and do what is required.
Wowsers, not support your team because of how its run? Surely that doesn't make you a fan of the team but the people that run it?

Why not Leeds, well run, rich owner, will have great facilities? You could buy a shirt with "caddick #1" on the back.