Daryl Powell

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
tallguyx
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Daryl Powell

Post by tallguyx » 08 Oct 2018, 11:10

tigerfeat wrote:i heard jon wells say last night he knew toronto had some good players lined up if they had beat london and got into super league wonder if he going to give any of em a ring this morning ha
I personally think that it started going a bit wrong when we appointed wells. It seemed to come out of the blue we were already a good team (full back issue apart). Fair enough he brought in Watts and Matutaia but maybe they wanted to come to cas anyway.

Too many cooks like the old saying goes. I agree with what people said above too we seem to play a different style in the big games.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 08 Oct 2018, 11:22

tallguyx wrote:
tigerfeat wrote:i heard jon wells say last night he knew toronto had some good players lined up if they had beat london and got into super league wonder if he going to give any of em a ring this morning ha
I personally think that it started going a bit wrong when we appointed wells. It seemed to come out of the blue we were already a good team (full back issue apart). Fair enough he brought in Watts and Matutaia but maybe they wanted to come to cas anyway.

Too many cooks like the old saying goes. I agree with what people said above too we seem to play a different style in the big games.
](*,) ](*,) Have a word with yourself

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 08 Oct 2018, 11:40

tallguyx wrote:

Wells came as a management restructure following the departure of SG. Fulton directs the business, Wells directs the football side, Darrell concentrates on the team and coaching. A good structure IMO.

tallguyx
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tallguyx » 08 Oct 2018, 12:17

Who decides what players we sign if that’s the case then?

If it’s a system that has long failed in football (ie Newcastle,Bolton,Middlesbrough it’s a long list) with having someone of a similar ilk (not a business man but a ex player) above the coach signing players then I will bite my tongue. We haven’t moved forward at all this season for me I don’t blame Daryl either I blame the Hardaker nonsense and this restructuring.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 08 Oct 2018, 12:24

tallguyx wrote:Who decides what players we sign if that’s the case then?

If it’s a system that has long failed in football (ie Newcastle,Bolton,Middlesbrough it’s a long list) with having someone of a similar ilk (not a business man but a ex player) above the coach signing players then I will bite my tongue. We haven’t moved forward at all this season for me I don’t blame Daryl either I blame the Hardaker nonsense and this restructuring.
Prob something along the lines of

DP says i want players x,y,z

Mr Wells then tries to go out and do a deal for x,y,z

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 08 Oct 2018, 13:05

fords wrote:

In most good business, it's consultative, but DP will put his case forward and JW's job is to do the business. Without Wells, you still wouldn't have a situation that the coach does all the financial manoeuvres, you'd have the business man. Before Wells SG would have done it. I can't see Wells going over DP's head as far as identifying targets.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 08 Oct 2018, 13:11

cogito ergo sum wrote:
fords wrote:

In most good business, it's consultative, but DP will put his case forward and JW's job is to do the business. Without Wells, you still wouldn't have a situation that the coach does all the financial manoeuvres, you'd have the business man. Before Wells SG would have done it. I can't see Wells going over DP's head as far as identifying targets.
If anything, we’re in a strong position for recruiting than ever before. Jon Wells watches far more live games and can scope out opposition players better than DP will get the chance to. I’d imagine that Wells over the course of this years SL season, will of identified a few players himself, who then in turn would go to DP and ask his opinion. Would make sense.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 08 Oct 2018, 13:16

Wells gets the men DP wants, it had to be that simple.

Wells checks with the man holding the purse that's its achievable. He'll then talk to others about character and will they fit the club. Meaning DP can concentrate on coaching.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 08 Oct 2018, 13:16

Wells gets the men DP wants, it had to be that simple.

Wells checks with the man holding the purse that's its achievable. He'll then talk to others about character and will they fit the club. Meaning DP can concentrate on coaching.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 08 Oct 2018, 17:04

I was away last week but in spite of the result I didn't expect this hysteria on my return.

I have often pointed out the comments given to me by the Flat Capped residents I have the misfortune to bump into every day; Powell has always failed in the big games. As harsh as this may seem, IMO it doesn't make him a bad coach, just one that needs to continue to develop.

Hand on heart we all know he is more than capable and I look forward to supporting his team for many years to come.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 08 Oct 2018, 17:22

Flat Capper wrote:I was away last week but in spite of the result I didn't expect this hysteria on my return.

I have often pointed out the comments given to me by the Flat Capped residents I have the misfortune to bump into every day; Powell has always failed in the big games. As harsh as this may seem, IMO it doesn't make him a bad coach, just one that needs to continue to develop.

Hand on heart we all know he is more than capable and I look forward to supporting his team for many years to come.
That's what most people have said ...
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 08 Oct 2018, 17:36

Powell also says in today's league weekly he's not having his players perform like that three years running in big games so it's clear his thoughts are the same as a lot of people on here
Vince Lombardi

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 08 Oct 2018, 18:40

Blame the poor signings we made last winter. None of them have done anything outstanding and they are/were clearly not up to the job. When we have had injuries we have not got strength in depth. Add to this the dead wood we still have and it’s easy to point out what is wrong with the squad.

Considering the above we have had a good year but a good year isn’t quite enough to win things as has been proved. DP is nit to blame in my eyes, look at who isn’t here any more for that.

Our best player from last year, Gale, has missed way too much to have had an impact on this year but we saw the development of Trueman. Every cloud etc.

Our top try scorer also missed plenty of games but we couldn’t replace home. Clare and Gill aren’t up to the job.

We lost the best full back and struggled to replace him and used players in key areas in to full back, disruption was massive to the team.

Jesse and Junior were injured at times and played out of position and weren’t as good.

All in all not a disaster of a year but a let down on last year but did anyone really think we would repeat that? When we lost Gale who would have taken 3rd and a semi defeat by the eventual winners?

We need some more quality to back the current squad up. Over to the powers that be.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 08 Oct 2018, 18:49

The thing I noticed coming out of the ground was the look on people's faces like at last year's grand final it's not losing its what was that we just watched that's not how this team play ever other week of the season not scoring a point no matter how well Wigan defended how can that be ?
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 08 Oct 2018, 18:57

Don't think you can blame Clare for Friday when the people in the middle didn't do the job and we didn't get forward enough to give any chances for our wingers bar 1/2. Hard coming off your own line.

Agree on the fact that we would never ever repeat last year. Too many things went our way last season and we were never going to get the same luck in terms of other clubs being poor and being injury free.

When many predicted us to fall flat on our faces and 'one season wonders', I think it's outstanding we've finished 3rd behind two of the richest clubs in SL.

I think our middles have been the problem this season to be fair. Mid-season signing of Watts was a masterstroke - I dread to think where we'd be without him in hindsight now. But outside of that, I don't think any of our forwards have really shone, barring Foster and Clark.

Millo seems to have lost the fire and the power and offloading game. Cook and Moors have been missing and had spells on the sidelines, Jesse and McMeeken have been inconsistent. Milner has had a decent season but has errors in him, Massey is what he says on the tin, hard-working without pulling up any trues. Holmes and Wardle have been OK without pulling up trees too.

Springer has been lesser spotted, Green was a pointless signing, Clark has proven that he deserved a shot in the Cas side long before he did and has been excellent.

For me, if we were looking at this squad anew, I'd be saying we need 1 more prop and 1 less back-rower to take the pressure off Millo and give us some impetus in the middle.

We're carrying too many fringe players who aren't challenging the first-teamers. And in terms of recruitment from last season, I think like many projects some work and some don't. Ellis has had some good games and some bad games, Wardle has been injury prone, Clark has been great, Green was poor, Clare has been solid and is good for a squad player, which he is. Aston has been pointless but there may be a long-term plan behind him.

Think it's harsh on Gill to say he isn't up to the job when he's scored in pretty much every game we've played him in. For me, he deserves a decent shot next season challenging Clare. The one I'm less sure about is Egodo. Seems to have played well for Newcastle and Bradford on loan but that's L1 level. I'm not convinced he's got the size to make it in SL. Hope he proves me wrong like.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 08 Oct 2018, 19:04

HuddsTigers wrote:Don't think you can blame Clare for Friday when the people in the middle didn't do the job and we didn't get forward enough to give any chances for our wingers bar 1/2. Hard coming off your own line.

Agree on the fact that we would never ever repeat last year. Too many things went our way last season and we were never going to get the same luck in terms of other clubs being poor and being injury free.

When many predicted us to fall flat on our faces and 'one season wonders', I think it's outstanding we've finished 3rd behind two of the richest clubs in SL.

I think our middles have been the problem this season to be fair. Mid-season signing of Watts was a masterstroke - I dread to think where we'd be without him in hindsight now. But outside of that, I don't think any of our forwards have really shone, barring Foster and Clark.

Millo seems to have lost the fire and the power and offloading game. Cook and Moors have been missing and had spells on the sidelines, Jesse and McMeeken have been inconsistent. Milner has had a decent season but has errors in him, Massey is what he says on the tin, hard-working without pulling up any trues. Holmes and Wardle have been OK without pulling up trees too.

Springer has been lesser spotted, Green was a pointless signing, Clark has proven that he deserved a shot in the Cas side long before he did and has been excellent.

For me, if we were looking at this squad anew, I'd be saying we need 1 more prop and 1 less back-rower to take the pressure off Millo and give us some impetus in the middle.

We're carrying too many fringe players who aren't challenging the first-teamers. And in terms of recruitment from last season, I think like many projects some work and some don't. Ellis has had some good games and some bad games, Wardle has been injury prone, Clark has been great, Green was poor, Clare has been solid and is good for a squad player, which he is. Aston has been pointless but there may be a long-term plan behind him.

Think it's harsh on Gill to say he isn't up to the job when he's scored in pretty much every game we've played him in. For me, he deserves a decent shot next season challenging Clare. The one I'm less sure about is Egodo. Seems to have played well for Newcastle and Bradford on loan but that's L1 level. I'm not convinced he's got the size to make it in SL. Hope he proves me wrong like.

Egodo also scored on his debut, a hat trick in fact so can't be bad! He also said on the radio he needs to find his voice and sometimes feels like the bigger characters over power him, which has been pointed out by Powell for him to go forward
Also a bigger engine. Guess this also goes for Gadwin, Maher, Gill.

classysupercas3
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by classysupercas3 » 08 Oct 2018, 19:28

tigerfeat wrote:Powell also says in today's league weekly he's not having his players perform like that three years running in big games so it's clear his thoughts are the same as a lot of people on here
So what's he going to do to change it?

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 08 Oct 2018, 20:54

Casmoley wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:Don't think you can blame Clare for Friday when the people in the middle didn't do the job and we didn't get forward enough to give any chances for our wingers bar 1/2. Hard coming off your own line.

Don’t forget Gary Lo Sky MOM in his only appearance!!

Egodo also scored on his debut, a hat trick in fact so can't be bad! He also said on the radio he needs to find his voice and sometimes feels like the bigger characters over power him, which has been pointed out by Powell for him to go forward
Also a bigger engine. Guess this also goes for Gadwin, Maher, Gill.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 09 Oct 2018, 08:40

classysupercas3 wrote:
tigerfeat wrote:Powell also says in today's league weekly he's not having his players perform like that three years running in big games so it's clear his thoughts are the same as a lot of people on here
So what's he going to do to change it?
He's got a problem because some players have bottled it two years in a row he either trys to change the mentality of certain players or trys to do some wheeler dealing and move players on to bring others in
Vince Lombardi

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 10 Oct 2018, 10:12

Here's a thought. Don't shoot me down yet.

Wilkin was going to Toronto, now maybe not. He's got the fire in him and knows how to win. Maybe a player/coach slot?