Overview 2018

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
the happy hooker9
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Doing Spins, Backdrops and kicks on the dance floor

Overview 2018

Post by the happy hooker9 » 06 Oct 2018, 17:42

Having got over the disappointment of our semi final defeat at Wigan I think we should look at the 2018 overall as a positive one in view of the setback we’ve had to surmount.
Finishing third was perhaps one we would have taken at the start of the season in light of the Hardaker fiasco.
We should reflect, do we want to be in the situation of say, Leeds or Hull, who are certainly in much greater turmoil than us.
So, let’s look at the Positives for 2018
The emergence of Jake Truman as a future star in Super League.
The signing late of Peter Matau’tia who it appears from the few games played is a master stroke
Mitch Clark, whose performances should warrant a place in the 17 for next year
Having decent strength in depth to alleviate the injuries we suffered,
Signing the unknown Alex Foster who has developed into a mature player of SL standard (who would have walked into the current Leeds squad)
Being able to get Liam Watts, who is now the cornerstone of our pack
Macca, in the words of MM ‘ah can’t spake’, deserves England cap
Jon Wells as Director of Rugby, master stroke
Negatives for 2018
The departure (sad, but unfortunately necessary) of Jake, a true cult hero.
Wardle, is he a centre or second row, been a big let-down for me
The need for a class centre to replace Jake as I don’t believe Gregg Minikin is the answer
The full back conundrum, which we only resolved late in the season, which IMO is one of the reasons we’ve not been such a potent attacking force.
The lack of development of Springer and Maher. Do we continue with hoping for improvement or cut the ties with these two.
Our continued failure to bring a major trophy (for one reason or another) to Wheldon road
Benny Roberts, undoubted talent but has failed to deliver too often.
Jamie Ellis, never was never will be of SL standard, yet we are saddled with him for another year.
Future
The probability of a new ground, new opportunities in 20….??? and new income streams
Would like a class centre in the Jake mould and /or another experienced Dean Sampson type prop to light the work load of Watts.
Revert back to using JSL and Junior as second rows rather than makeshift props far more effective wide out
To win a Major Trophy in next few years, in view of structure change, probably challenge cup
All is my personal feeling but that’s what its like supporting this great club

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Re: Overview 2018

Post by old cas lass » 06 Oct 2018, 18:08

Also a negative sadly we are down just over a thousand fans average compared to last season.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 06 Oct 2018, 18:12

old cas lass wrote:Also a negative sadly we are down just over a thousand fans average compared to last season.
How much is that down to away support and TV games though?

Wakey for example, brought a pathetic support the other week.

We had to play Catalans twice at home, 2017 didnt have them in Super 8s.

Warrington game absolutely shanked it down and we were lucky to get a game on.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 06 Oct 2018, 18:28

2017 8779
2018 7751
-7%

lidds
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by lidds » 06 Oct 2018, 19:47

old cas lass wrote:2017 8779
2018 7751
-7%
Diff is -12.4% . Not 7%

Nobody
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nobody » 06 Oct 2018, 19:51

lidds wrote:
2018 7751
-7%
Diff is -12.4% . Not 7%
Are these average crowd attendences or highest?

Don't forgot as well if it includes all games played at Wheldon road, we had nearly 12,000 there for last year's semi.
🐯 COYF!

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 06 Oct 2018, 19:57

lidds wrote:
2018 7751
-7%
Diff is -12.4% . Not 7%
It’s a chart someone put on Facebook.
I’ve just copied it.
Not sure how to put the full chart on of all the teams.

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 06 Oct 2018, 20:09

2018 7751
-7%

If these figures are accurate they are very disappointing, Hudds tries to make mitigation but really, can that account for a approximately 15,000 less coming through the turnstiles... I don’t think so
Last edited by alftupper on 06 Oct 2018, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 06 Oct 2018, 20:11

...if the club still can’t be arsed updating promotional billboards on Park Road etc is there any wonder they can’t drum up newcomers to the game?

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 06 Oct 2018, 20:16

HuddsTigers wrote:
old cas lass wrote:Also a negative sadly we are down just over a thousand fans average compared to last season.
How much is that down to away support and TV games though?

Wakey for example, brought a pathetic support the other week.

We had to play Catalans twice at home, 2017 didnt have them in Super 8s.

Warrington game absolutely shanked it down and we were lucky to get a game on.
I'm afraid the way the game is going you cannot afford to rely on visiting supporters. Next year we will have Catalans plus Toronto/London that at best London may bring 100 supporters. Add to that Thursday/Friday night games that kill away support especially when it involves going over the Pennines. Again a lot of the gates been down is due to home fans non attendence,wether we like it or not or even believe it but our gates always will and always have increased or decreased depending on the teams performance.

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 06 Oct 2018, 20:22

Although the home support is down is the away support up(which cas get a percentage of)I’m sure it will be and may offset the drop on home attendances

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 06 Oct 2018, 21:05

To be fair a average gate of 7751 for a town with a population of just over 40,000 is very good
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 06 Oct 2018, 21:09

Hudds' mitigation is fairly accurate in fairness, this year only one home game against Leeds instead of 2, both wakefield attendances down (Thursday games?) , cats at home twice, last year our home Easter fixture was wakey in good weather this year Warrington in monsoon conditions, only one home game v Hull...

It's all well and good the podcasts saying that teams shouldn't rely on away supporters but the fact of the matter is that they do make a big difference over a 13 or 14 game season.

Last years super 8s home games were v Saints, Leeds, Wakey and Hull. This year's were v Wire, Cats, Hudds and Wakey. Add on the fact that we were really flying and there's the shortfall more or less.

Nu Shooze
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nu Shooze » 06 Oct 2018, 21:41

Spanishtiger wrote:Hudds' mitigation is fairly accurate in fairness, this year only one home game against Leeds instead of 2, both wakefield attendances down (Thursday games?) , cats at home twice, last year our home Easter fixture was wakey in good weather this year Warrington in monsoon conditions, only one home game v Hull...

It's all well and good the podcasts saying that teams shouldn't rely on away supporters but the fact of the matter is that they do make a big difference over a 13 or 14 game season.

Last years super 8s home games were v Saints, Leeds, Wakey and Hull. This year's were v Wire, Cats, Hudds and Wakey. Add on the fact that we were really flying and there's the shortfall more or less.
Agreed. No surprise we’re down especially when you remember we had a game to win LLS and a home semi which both were always going to draw a full house

betts21
League One Player
League One Player

Post by betts21 » 07 Oct 2018, 00:06

Like has been posted above Toronto/London and Catalan will bring nothing to us next year the fact of another year of short changes in kick offs from Sunday's to thursday/Fridays ect means less people to commit to season tickets next year probably this isn't just a case issue it's a sport wide one the Thursday games are a killer imo and if we could lose them I reckon rugby gates in general would go up I mean Lancashire on a Thursday night imo is just not worth attempting when the games on tv so they lose on away support as would we if fixture was reversed.

dude
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by dude » 07 Oct 2018, 08:17

id also say a less entertaining brand of rugby and dis jointed attack where we look like we havent played together instead of the fast attacking rugby we played last year will have kept some of the pay on the gate fans away. i like PM but he doesnt run round the back of gale and hit the gaps like hardacer or dorn used to

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 07 Oct 2018, 08:41

for me too many midweek matches, I am sure if clubs were made to play Sunday afternoon with only the TV games played midweek gates would increase , LEEDS were the ones that started playing most Fridays to accommodate their corporate guests others have followed suit , gates across he game are down the powers that be are in a position to improve things, will they we will wait and see

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 07 Oct 2018, 09:08

dude wrote:id also say a less entertaining brand of rugby and dis jointed attack where we look like we havent played together instead of the fast attacking rugby we played last year will have kept some of the pay on the gate fans away. i like PM but he doesnt run round the back of gale and hit the gaps like hardacer or dorn used to
With a full pre season under his belt I’m sure he’ll get his timings right on that move.
He’s not been here long and as adjusted into our play quicker than I thought.
We’ll see the best of him next year, there’s no doubt in that.

Tbf most of the season as been disjointed. What with swapping and changing full backs, half backs either injured or out of form. The last 5/6 weeks we’ve been more settle. Having matautia and Trueman in there prefered places. Would have been nice to have had matautia available at the stat of the season but it is what it is.
2018 gone now. On to 2019.
Bring it on.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 07 Oct 2018, 09:13

Gates of all clubs both sides of the pennines will take a bit of a drop next year too because people won't go through travelling on the m62 especially on a Friday night that's how bad it's got
Vince Lombardi

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 07 Oct 2018, 09:14

old cas lass wrote:
dude wrote:id also say a less entertaining brand of rugby and dis jointed attack where we look like we havent played together instead of the fast attacking rugby we played last year will have kept some of the pay on the gate fans away. i like PM but he doesnt run round the back of gale and hit the gaps like hardacer or dorn used to
With a full pre season under his belt I’m sure he’ll get his timings right on that move.
He’s not been here long and as adjusted into our play quicker than I thought.
We’ll see the best of him next year, there’s no doubt in that.

Tbf most of the season as been disjointed. What with swapping and changing full backs, half backs either injured
or out of form. The last 5/6 weeks we’ve been more settle. Having matautia and Trueman in there prefered places. Would have been nice to have had matautia available at the stat of the season but it is what it is.
2018 gone now. On to 2019.
Bring it on.
Anybody think Turner will start full back next year and P.M be in the centres?
I think he might
Vince Lombardi