Pivotal Point

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Nu Shooze
Academy Player
Academy Player

Pivotal Point

Post by Nu Shooze » 06 Oct 2018, 11:49

We have now had 5 years of being up and around the top end of the table but I really think we are now at a crossroads, where we either kick-on or do a Huddersfield and disappear without trace.

We have several players who we know are either past their best or not up to it and that situation has to be addressed now; not wait until we need to make wholesale changes. Powell has intimated that there’s not going to be much activity in the transfer market in the off-season but we are desperately in need of strengthening if we are to continue to develop.

Just hope we don’t leave it too late and undo all of what’s been good over the last few years.

ERG2012
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Pivotal Point

Post by ERG2012 » 06 Oct 2018, 11:53

Prime example is Leeds
Loads of aging experienced players with no intermediate experienced guys with 150-200 games ready to take the slack
Passed through to kids and new personnel

Hence their current status

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 06 Oct 2018, 12:41

Nu Shooze wrote:We have now had 5 years of being up and around the top end of the table but I really think we are now at a crossroads, where we either kick-on or do a Huddersfield and disappear without trace.

We have several players who we know are either past their best or not up to it and that situation has to be addressed now; not wait until we need to make wholesale changes. Powell has intimated that there’s not going to be much activity in the transfer market in the off-season but we are desperately in need of strengthening if we are to continue to develop.

Just hope we don’t leave it too late and undo all of what’s been good over the last few years.
Good post wasn't it DP himself that said you have to change the team every 6 years or change the coach or it goes stale.well IMO we are at that point. It could be argued that We have 5/6 players that are now in decline. Don't think you can make wholesale changes but we need to slowly replace them and we cannot allow sentiment to get in the way.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 06 Oct 2018, 12:47

braytontiger wrote:
Nu Shooze wrote:We have now had 5 years of being up and around the top end of the table but I really think we are now at a crossroads, where we either kick-on or do a Huddersfield and disappear without trace.

Good post wasn't it DP himself that said you have to change the team every 6 years or change the coach or it goes stale.well IMO we are at that point. It could be argued that We have 5/6 players that are now in decline. Don't think you can make wholesale changes but we need to slowly replace them and we cannot allow sentiment to get in the way.
Who would you change. Who’s your 5/6 players.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 06 Oct 2018, 12:51

old cas lass wrote:
braytontiger wrote:

Ben Roberts
James Clare
Jake Webster
Michael Shenton
Will Maher
Gadwin Springer
Jamie Ellis

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 06 Oct 2018, 12:57

old cas lass wrote:
braytontiger wrote:

Roberts is the one for now as I said I wouldn't make wholesale changes but we have to keep an eye on
Shenton
Millo
Moors
Cook who all have 1 at most 2 years left in them

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 06 Oct 2018, 12:59

Just hope we don’t leave it too late and undo all of what’s been good over the last few years.[/quote]

Good post wasn't it DP himself that said you have to change the team every 6 years or change the coach or it goes stale.well IMO we are at that point. It could be argued that We have 5/6 players that are now in decline. Don't think you can make wholesale changes but we need to slowly replace them and we cannot allow sentiment to get in the way.[/quote]

Who would you change. Who’s your 5/6 players.[/quote]
Ben Roberts
James Clare
Jake Webster
Michael Shenton
Will Maher
Gadwin Springer
Jamie Ellis[/quote]

You’d keep Cory Aston :D
Problem is players are under contract we just can’t show them the door without it costing us. Unless a team is willing to pay a transfer fee.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 06 Oct 2018, 13:03

most of the players mentioned are still under contract we will not be saying goodbye till there contracts have run out or if we could broker a deal with another club so we could move them on, but the players have the last say when under contract

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 06 Oct 2018, 13:08

old cas lass wrote:We have several players who we know are either past their best or not up to it and that situation has to be addressed now; not wait until we need to make wholesale changes. Powell has intimated that there’s not going to be much activity in the transfer market in the off-season but we are desperately in need of strengthening if we are to continue to develop.

Good post wasn't it DP himself that said you have to change the team every 6 years or change the coach or it goes stale.well IMO we are at that point. It could be argued that We have 5/6 players that are now in decline. Don't think you can make wholesale changes but we need to slowly replace them and we cannot allow sentiment to get in the way.[/quote]

Ben Roberts
James Clare
Jake Webster
Michael Shenton
Will Maher
Gadwin Springer
Jamie Ellis[/quote]

Problem is players are under contract we just can’t show them the door without it costing us. Unless a team is willing to pay a transfer fee.[/quote]

At what point did I say id get rid now,I think they are on there last contracts or there next ones need to be reduced contracts. Would I keep Aston-no but then again let everyone else I've never seen him play.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 06 Oct 2018, 13:21

braytontiger wrote:
old cas lass wrote:We have several players who we know are either past their best or not up to it and that situation has to be addressed now; not wait until we need to make wholesale changes. Powell has intimated that there’s not going to be much activity in the transfer market in the off-season but we are desperately in need of strengthening if we are to continue to develop.

Ben Roberts
James Clare
Jake Webster
Michael Shenton
Will Maher
Gadwin Springer
Jamie Ellis[/quote]

Problem is players are under contract we just can’t show them the door without it costing us. Unless a team is willing to pay a transfer fee.[/quote]

At what point did I say id get rid now,I think they are on there last contracts or there next ones need to be reduced contracts. Would I keep Aston-no but then again let everyone else I've never seen him play.[/quote]

My quote was to frumper not to you brayton, sorry for the mix up.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 06 Oct 2018, 13:46

Ben Roberts
James Clare
Jake Webster
Michael Shenton
Will Maher
Gadwin Springer
Jamie Ellis[/quote]

Whose he ;)

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 07 Oct 2018, 14:44

Fumper27 wrote:

Ben Roberts
James Clare
Jake Webster
Michael Shenton
Will Maher
Gadwin Springer
Jamie Ellis[/quote]

Whose he ;)[/quote]

Not true. Contracted players can and do leave for nothing. For example, were the broncos to win today and want ben roberts, and offer him a 2/3 yr deal, it is in everyone’s interest for him to accept it. The same goes for Ellis, Springer, and anyone else with 12months or more left on their deals. Even if a club like Bradford were able to offer Roberts 3 yrs and a good salary he’d probably go. Especially if we still agreed to finance 10-20% of his last years salary whilst off our books (but still on them In a fashion )

Lots can be done.

I think pivotal point / crossroads is quite appropriate; and I’m sure with Jon Daryl & the team all aiming towards the common goal of trophies, we’ll be well placed. Jon is clever enough to broker deals.
Audacter Et Sincere

Pigeon21

Post by Pigeon21 » 07 Oct 2018, 15:13

One for the stats people out there, who was the last team to win the grand final without a previous winner in the team?

The point I'm trying to make is we are not too far away but need to sign one / two experienced winners which are not easy to come by.

Nu Shooze
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nu Shooze » 10 May 2019, 21:40

Sadly, I think we have our answer. Bottom four beckons this year.

Bolton-tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bolton-tiger » 10 May 2019, 21:50

About time we let the dead wood go and get in some quality players in to improve the team not make us go backwards like egodo,clare,maher,minikin has had a shocking season and dosnt deserve a contract the way hes going.get some fresh blood in and shake things up abit.i think we need to keep powell as hes the best coach we have had its just a shame the players are not up to standards

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 11 May 2019, 08:13

Here's a quick point. over the last 2 years, Benny Roberts was hounded on social media for being injured for quite a while, even to point people used to abuse him on Twitter, but yet the likes of Oli Holmes, Junior Moors get overlooked.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 11 May 2019, 08:21

heritage1926 wrote:Here's a quick point. over the last 2 years, Benny Roberts was hounded on social media for being injured for quite a while, even to point people used to abuse him on Twitter, but yet the likes of Oli Holmes, Junior Moors get overlooked.
Holmes is in that injury bracket and I'd get shut if it was me.

Moors up to last year or so hadn't missed many that I recall?

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 11 May 2019, 09:22

Sadly i dont think we can get top 5 without Gale, he is usually behind 60-70% of our tries and Trueman just isn't going to make that up and its unfair to expect it from him at his age. We can blame who we want and slate all the players but the simple fact is without Gale our attack just doesn't flow fast enough to beat defences.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 11 May 2019, 09:49

Trueman needs a rest he looks mentally tired.
Get rankin and Aston together and see how they fair.
Nothing to lose.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 11 May 2019, 11:05

old cas lass wrote:Trueman needs a rest he looks mentally tired.
Get rankin and Aston together and see how they fair.
Nothing to lose.
Should have used Gales dispensation by now to bring in a quality half. Trueman as been found out and apart from a quality short kicking game offers very little in attack and up to now as not shown the passing skills or running threat to worry SL defences at this level.
The lad desperately needs an experienced half along side of him.