Wakey to get new ground maybe

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Wakey to get new ground maybe

Post by JIN JER » 05 Sep 2018, 18:44

I can't speak for everyone but I as a person always hate injustice, then again this isn't life or death. Would Wakey supporters object on behalf of Cas, yes I think some would. Do I expect Cas fans to object? Of course not but it was a fine sentiment from da_jimbob. :clap:

da_jimbob_7
League One Player
League One Player
Twitter: Jimmothylad

Post by da_jimbob_7 » 05 Sep 2018, 20:58

tigerfeat wrote:Would the wakey fans be doing the same for cas if the boot was on the other foot is a thought that comes to my mind
The vast majority probably not, but I reckon there may be a few rugby fans out there that see it as the shambles it is and put aside the rivalary for this issue at hand.
I’m a big rugby fan and don’t like the way a club has been used to gain an advantage. But on the pitch I want to see us hammer them 86-0 and pick up all the quality youngsters.

Long live the Tigers!!!

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 05 Sep 2018, 23:00

da_jimbob_7 wrote:
tigerfeat wrote:Would the wakey fans be doing the same for cas if the boot was on the other foot is a thought that comes to my mind
The vast majority probably not, but I reckon there may be a few rugby fans out there that see it as the shambles it is and put aside the rivalary for this issue at hand.
I’m a big rugby fan and don’t like the way a club has been used to gain an advantage. But on the pitch I want to see us hammer them 86-0 and pick up all the quality youngsters.
Those days are gone de_jimbob. ;)

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 13 Mar 2019, 18:05

Newmarket now officially dead in the water. WMDC have agreed to loan Wakey 3.15 million to buy-back and upgrade Belle Vue.

https://www.wakefield.gov.uk/Pages/News/PR-9017.aspx

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 13 Mar 2019, 18:38

So what do the taxpayers get for £3.15m, what is the repayment plan over what period and in what conditions. And what happens if Wakefield default again?

Also, will the same offer of money be open to CTRLFC and Featherstone Rovers should they wish to pursue this?

Too many questions, too little answers.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 13 Mar 2019, 19:05

HuddsTigers wrote:So what do the taxpayers get for £3.15m, what is the repayment plan over what period and in what conditions. And what happens if Wakefield default again?

Also, will the same offer of money be open to CTRLFC and Featherstone Rovers should they wish to pursue this?

Too many questions, too little answers.
Agree hudds. This absolutely stinks.

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 13 Mar 2019, 19:19

It will be interesting as more details come out Hudds.

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 13 Mar 2019, 21:15

I find it extremely difficult how a Council in these cash strapped economic times, can justify cutting essential services whilst giving such a huge loan to any private enterprise.
Especially when there are two comparable businesses in their
Metropolitan District.
As a rugby fan l can understand Trinity will be extremely pleased at such largesse.
But how you justify it to council tax payers who have endured years of service cuts to vulnerable people is quite staggering.
Trinity are enjoying some success on the field, however they have not demonstrated financial prudence in recent years and have no tangible assets to act as collateral.
Although not a council tax payer in Wakefield l cannot believe this is something they can sell to anyone other than a minority of residents who attend Belle Vue.
It has a strange ring about it.

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 13 Mar 2019, 21:50

This ^^
I couldn't have put it any better. :clap:

I am a council tax payer in Castleford and I cannot see it going down too well anywhere within the whole district! Most people in Wakefield (unlike Cas) don't even know they have a pro RL team anyway. They will (and quite rightly) be furious.
How a council that is stone broke can fund 3 million to a business that benefit's only 4,000 people in a massive district is beyond me. It's not even ticking any boxes for the community element that was promised.

The Firm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by The Firm » 13 Mar 2019, 21:55

I’d like to know if the council have got £3 million to spare to loan to a private entity then why is my and everybody elses council tax going up an extra 4% next month? Sorry but that doesn’t sound right to me.

St Albans tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by St Albans tiger » 13 Mar 2019, 23:29

Agreed in principle. I assume given the circumstances this will have to go through some sort review process seeing as it's passing funds to private company.

Also i don't think its possible for the council to provide an interest free loan. At only 2 percent a year interest that accounts for 60,000 gbp. Where is that going to come from.

alcasfan
League One Player
League One Player
Location: LS25 About as far from LEEDS as you can get with an LS code - Thank God!

Post by alcasfan » 13 Mar 2019, 23:48

St Albans tiger wrote:Agreed in principle. I assume given the circumstances this will have to go through some sort review process seeing as it's passing funds to private company.

Also i don't think its possible for the council to provide an interest free loan. At only 2 percent a year interest that accounts for 60,000 gbp. Where is that going to come from.
They won't be paying an annual rent which probably covers the interest.
"Castleford's biggest home crowd of the 1991-1992 season wasn't quite 12,000 while on average they'd sit around 6000 but the noise, the chanting and the singing just blows you away" - Tawera Nikau "Standing Tall"

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 14 Mar 2019, 00:15

as i understand it mc begged, yes begged box to secure them a loan. because of wakey's bad credit history (numerous county court judgements) the only loan they could get would be at a very high interest rate.
mc requested that box secured them a loan at a very favourable interest rate that is available to councils.
wakey will then only pay WMDC the interest on the loan whilst they chase yorkcourt for compensation. if successful they would then pay WMDC back in one lump sum.
this is all to do with the new broadcasting rights in 2021 and wakey will be able to say they own their own ground.
well done to mc as this is the best they could hope for but the problem that could arise is that yorkcourt could just walk away and that leaves wakey owing WMDC £3.5 million. what happens then if they default?
WMDC will become their landlords and will once again be painted as the bad guys if they demand a commercially fair rent.
ps, nice to see you back jinj mate, was getting worried as i hadn't seen you on here or the wakey board. didn't know if you were ill or had been on your annual round the world cruise. lol
jo brand is eddie warings love child

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 14 Mar 2019, 04:02

lurcher wrote:as i understand it mc begged, yes begged box to secure them a loan. because of wakey's bad credit history (numerous county court judgements) the only loan they could get would be at a very high interest rate.
mc requested that box secured them a loan at a very favourable interest rate that is available to councils.
wakey will then only pay WMDC the interest on the loan whilst they chase yorkcourt for compensation. if successful they would then pay WMDC back in one lump sum.
this is all to do with the new broadcasting rights in 2021 and wakey will be able to say they own their own ground.
well done to mc as this is the best they could hope for but the problem that could arise is that yorkcourt could just walk away and that leaves wakey owing WMDC £3.5 million. what happens then if they default?
WMDC will become their landlords and will once again be painted as the bad guys if they demand a commercially fair rent.
ps, nice to see you back jinj mate, was getting worried as i hadn't seen you on here or the wakey board. didn't know if you were ill or had been on your annual round the world cruise. lol
Ha ha, strangely enough we've just come back from a two weeks cruise, are you stalking me? :). Lurcher I've not given up on our board but get sick to the high teeth of WUM's spouting [REMOVED] on there under different guises, why people have to post under different names for anonymity I can't imagine.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 15 Mar 2019, 00:21

no worries mate, as always congrats on even being on this board.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 15 Mar 2019, 14:54

the timing of the two announcements i find interesting wakey get told there going to get a loan to do up belle vue tho theres no comment by the club on the details of that yet on the wednesday twenty four hours later the news breaks the shiny new ground for cas is almost certain to go ahead ...politicians hay
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 15 Mar 2019, 19:17

Totally agree. The thing is Wakey and WMDC have come to this agreement several weeks ago. I remember the "good news just around the corner" vibes coming from the fans, media and owners since January. The timing seems strange.

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 16 Mar 2019, 12:46

Tigerade/tigerfeat what do you both think is strange about the timings?

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 16 Mar 2019, 14:45

I think the timing is to possibly a clumsy attempt toappease supporters of both clubs.
Totally missing the point that one is from the public purse the other isn't.
Also ignoring that many fans are not from WMD Wakefield Metropolitan Council (Not Weapons of Mass Destruction)
Or than many who are have little or no interest in either team.
Thereby showing themselves as worthy politicians.
Know nowt about a lot and alot about nowt.

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 16 Mar 2019, 15:14

District not Council!