Recruitment

Players in ... Players out. Got a rumour? Post it in here.
HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Re: Recruitment

Post by HuddsTigers » 10 Aug 2018, 17:54

Yeah he did say that but it's not always a case of what the player wants but whether they need to cut their cloth.

Their attendances aren't sustainable even in the Championship and I think they'll cut their cloth to avoid another Leigh scenario.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 10 Aug 2018, 18:00

HuddsTigers wrote:Yeah he did say that but it's not always a case of what the player wants but whether they need to cut their cloth.

Their attendances aren't sustainable even in the Championship and I think they'll cut their cloth to avoid another Leigh scenario.
Well if they need to offload him, Cas should be sniffing around as other clubs will be.

Attendance last time was very poor, something like 3400 but suppose losing 16 (now 17) on the bounce doesn't help.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 13 Aug 2018, 09:06

Mysterio wrote:
tigerfeat wrote:Wonder if jon wells is thinking of Anthony gelling for next year no way known to man will Widnes be in super league
Think the deal isn’t dependant on SL status
Unless QLT, Webster, Springer, Maher, Aston or anybody else not required go not sure who we will sign if anybody as we must be almost up to the cap now. All these new contracts to keep our best players wont have come cheap.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 13 Aug 2018, 11:35

fords wrote:
Mysterio wrote:
tigerfeat wrote:Wonder if jon wells is thinking of Anthony gelling for next year no way known to man will Widnes be in super league
Think the deal isn’t dependant on SL status
Unless QLT, Webster, Springer, Maher, Aston or anybody else not required go not sure who we will sign if anybody as we must be almost up to the cap now. All these new contracts to keep our best players wont have come cheap.
But doesn't the SC go up by another £100K next season? So with 1 or 2 leaving it may give us the opportunity to bring in another couple of decent players.

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 13 Aug 2018, 17:48

next year is interesting for me, if we are up to cap we may be already looking at letting some players go at the end of next year. The likes of Ben Roberts and Mike Shenton will either go or have a cheaper contract. If Gadwin and Will Maher stay next year I think they won't earn new deals. Mitch Clark would likely get a better deal. Egodo, Gill and Aston need to prove their worth. Meaning we should have plenty of space on the cap. We would need to fill that with some squad players if some of the above go but we could see some class come in.

I would expect a quiet pre season this year with hopefully one or two qualiry additions. But a busy end of 2019 leading into 2020.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 13 Aug 2018, 18:04

People like Shenton and Cook will be in the latter stage of their careers so their value will reduce as a result. I can't see Roberts staying unless he has a huge 2019 season. Even then it will be on a lower contract than he's on now. Personally, I think he'll go back to Oz on his own terms and perhaps go play lower grade with someone like Dorny where there's less demand on his body. Think we could free up around £150k here along with retaining Shenton and Cook, enough for two more players or a decent replacement for Roberts.

It will be interesting to see whether we keep Massey too.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 13 Aug 2018, 19:16

HuddsTigers wrote:People like Shenton and Cook will be in the latter stage of their careers so their value will reduce as a result. I can't see Roberts staying unless he has a huge 2019 season. Even then it will be on a lower contract than he's on now. Personally, I think he'll go back to Oz on his own terms and perhaps go play lower grade with someone like Dorny where there's less demand on his body. Think we could free up around £150k here along with retaining Shenton and Cook, enough for two more players or a decent replacement for Roberts.

Massey & Minikin the two I missed off (wasn't with my contract sheet) expect both will stay unless they have hurrendous years in 2019

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 13 Aug 2018, 20:56

HuddsTigers wrote:People like Shenton and Cook will be in the latter stage of their careers so their value will reduce as a result. I can't see Roberts staying unless he has a huge 2019 season. Even then it will be on a lower contract than he's on now. Personally, I think he'll go back to Oz on his own terms and perhaps go play lower grade with someone like Dorny where there's less demand on his body. Think we could free up around £150k here along with retaining Shenton and Cook, enough for two more players or a decent replacement for Roberts.

Been thinking that since early in the season. Would imagine we will retain him as a squad player.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 14 Aug 2018, 00:03

Casmoley wrote:next year is interesting for me, if we are up to cap we may be already looking at letting some players go at the end of next year. The likes of Ben Roberts and Mike Shenton will either go or have a cheaper contract. If Gadwin and Will Maher stay next year I think they won't earn new deals. Mitch Clark would likely get a better deal. Egodo, Gill and Aston need to prove their worth. Meaning we should have plenty of space on the cap. We would need to fill that with some squad players if some of the above go but we could see some class come in.

I would expect a quiet pre season this year with hopefully one or two qualiry additions. But a busy end of 2019 leading into 2020.
wonder if he's gone already, wellsy did say we now had £416 cap space. :lol: :lol: :lol:
jo brand is eddie warings love child

steadygetyerboots-on
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by steadygetyerboots-on » 14 Aug 2018, 00:06

MØL wrote:

Been thinking that since early in the season. Would imagine we will retain him as a squad player.
I was under the impression he has a deal at Toronto, but not seen anything confirming it.
"Stand by me as I stand by you, be brave and dare to dream".

Nobody
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nobody » 14 Aug 2018, 00:18

I know he sold his house in Cas and moved to another house in Cas. Unless he's renting the new one. Having said that he's just bought a brand new motorbike as well. He was also spending time decorating the new house.

Be strange to move into a new house and decorate if he wasn't staying in the area.
🐯 COYF!

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 14 Aug 2018, 00:53

MØL wrote:

Powell loves him
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

betts21
League One Player
League One Player

Post by betts21 » 14 Aug 2018, 14:34

Im a Massey fan always does the hard work rarely misses a tackle or drops the ball tends to win the floor for a quick play of the ball underrated player as he doesn't do the flash stuff.

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by the machine » 14 Aug 2018, 18:07

betts21 wrote:Im a Massey fan always does the hard work rarely misses a tackle or drops the ball tends to win the floor for a quick play of the ball underrated player as he doesn't do the flash stuff.
That pretty much echoes my sentiments
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

peter parker
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by peter parker » 14 Aug 2018, 18:41

the machine wrote:
betts21 wrote:Im a Massey fan always does the hard work rarely misses a tackle or drops the ball tends to win the floor for a quick play of the ball underrated player as he doesn't do the flash stuff.
Yep. I agree with that completely.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 14 Aug 2018, 23:27

the machine wrote:
I never rated massey till I went to one of the "meet the coaches nights".
powell explained the job that such as Nathan does and it really opened my eyes
we need him.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by the machine » 15 Aug 2018, 00:40

lurcher wrote:
the machine wrote:
I never rated massey till I went to one of the "meet the coaches nights".
powell explained the job that such as Nathan does and it really opened my eyes
we need him.
Powell did an interview last year where he basically said he doesn't care what anyone thinks about Massey, he does exactly what he asks of him and rates him highly

Michael Jordan

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 15 Aug 2018, 11:42

Massey is the best forward we have for finding his front and playing the ball quick in my opinion. He does a specific job and is bl00dy good at it. He gets told where we want to play the ball on the next tackle, he goes there, finds his front, plays the ball quick and then its over to the others to do what they should do from that platform. Thats all he is paid to do. Fair enough he can’t do a lot else, but he isn’t there to do much more. Plus, he’s fairly solid in defence. Very underrated.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 15 Aug 2018, 14:36

No Springer again in 19. Not aware that he's injured so to me that says he off end of year.

Springer, QLT, Webster to go

Bring this guy in

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/la ... ue-switch/

Back line of
Coote
Minikin
Mata’utia
Shenton
Eden
Gale
Trueman

Should still have room for another prop then

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 15 Aug 2018, 15:24

Think Springer is injured.

Coote is a well established NRL full back. Would be the right direction if we plan on bringing someone in that matches or surpasses Hardaker. Thing with Lachlan is that even though he's strung together a few seasons without severe injury he has had multiple bad long term ones in the past including ACL. If we're rumoured to be after Mark Kheirallah for the second time then the likelihood of going for Coote is very slim but it's such a vital role within the squad it's in my option that it shouldn't be scrimped on.

If we we're to enquire about another prop Craig Kopczak seems the type of player that would instantly work well for us and our squad. Although 32 at the end of the year...