Super 8s and top 2

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Super 8s and top 2

Post by heritage1926 » 05 Aug 2018, 14:55

Just been lookung at the Super 8 fixtures. IF Warringron beat Leeds this afternoon, then we play Wire a week before Wembley and play Catalan a week after Wembley. These could be 2 massive games for that 2nd place and home semi.

Spanishtiger
Verified

Re: Super 8s and top 2

Post by Spanishtiger » 05 Aug 2018, 15:54

Isn't this fun, watching the Whinos get smashed on national free to view TV.
So we play Wire the week before Wembley, and Les Cats the week after.
Can't complain about the S8s draw now can we ?

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Swagger » 05 Aug 2018, 16:31

As well as a Saints side which will have won the league and possibly rest a few a week before the Semi finals. The only issue I have is playing Wigan week 1. If we lose then we are 2 wins behind with 6 to play

GET EM ON SIDE
Academy Player
Academy Player

WeeRe: Super 8s and top 2

Post by GET EM ON SIDE » 05 Aug 2018, 22:33

We need to beat Wigan away. Regardless of fixtures this is a big game and will decide 2nd spot forme.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Re: WeeRe: Super 8s and top 2

Post by SuffolkTiger » 06 Aug 2018, 00:48

GET EM ON SIDE wrote:We need to beat Wigan away. Regardless of fixtures this is a big game and will decide 2nd spot forme.
Spot on - it could easily turn out to be the biggest of the 7 games for us

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 06 Aug 2018, 07:15

The way Wigan, ourselves and Wire have been playing nothing is decided. Wigan can quite easily beat us but then lose to Catalans and Huddersfield.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 06 Aug 2018, 08:02

Both Catalan and huddersfield have turned their seasons round and will be no push overs, i was very impressed the way Catalan went about their bussines yesterday making saints look a shadow of them selves

WallTiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by WallTiger » 06 Aug 2018, 12:50

I actually don’t think Catalan will win many of their super 8 games now they have reached the Challange Cup Final. They know realistically they won’t make the top 4 so will put all their efforts into winning the cup as that is what their season is about now. I think they’ll rest players between now and the final and whatever the result at Wembley their season will peter out.

However, Huddersfield and Wakey will both play a part in who ends where in positions 2-4 in the table. Hudds are a form team and pretty much back to full strength I think. Both can play a relaxed game with no real pressure on them and whilst unlikely I wouldn’t rule out Hudds snatching 4th spot if Warrington take their eye off the ball with the cup final looming. The same for Hull if they get players back.

We just need to make sure we’re in the 4 !

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 06 Aug 2018, 13:59

Massive game first up at Wigan and then Wire at home , both are 4 pointers. Lose both and the way Huddersfield are playing I could see them easing us out of the 4.
We look the weaker side occupying one of semi final berths at present, to be real challengers we need to improve 100% on our recent form, we have had no bite in defence and little cohesion in attack so was very surprised DP gave the boys a week off when we have so much to work on.

Looking forward to Friday to see where our attitude is at.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 06 Aug 2018, 14:06

Huddersfield would have to win 5 more games than us to get above us.

Even I can see us beating at least 2 teams out of the 7. Only a really bad run would see us out and even then it'd be a miracle.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 06 Aug 2018, 15:28

HuddsTigers wrote:Huddersfield would have to win 5 more games than us to get above us.

Even I can see us beating at least 2 teams out of the 7. Only a really bad run would see us out and even then it'd be a miracle.
Aand they start st Saints away who will be fuming after Sunday, so they loose that and even if we loose they have to win 5 out of 6 and we have to loose 6 out of 6

Not going to happen

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 06 Aug 2018, 15:57

Sharlotiger wrote:Massive game first up at Wigan and then Wire at home , both are 4 pointers. Lose both and the way Huddersfield are playing I could see them easing us out of the 4.
We look the weaker side occupying one of semi final berths at present, to be real challengers we need to improve 100% on our recent form, we have had no bite in defence and little cohesion in attack so was very surprised DP gave the boys a week off when we have so much to work on.

I don't get what you mean Powell gave the boys a few days off whats up with that
And ' see where our attitude is at ' why would it be anything else but spot on for a massive game
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 06 Aug 2018, 17:29

tigerfeat wrote:
Sharlotiger wrote:Massive game first up at Wigan and then Wire at home , both are 4 pointers. Lose both and the way Huddersfield are playing I could see them easing us out of the 4.

I don't get what you mean Powell gave the boys a few days off whats up with that
And ' see where our attitude is at ' why would it be anything else but spot on for a massive game
Hope you are right, attitude always shows in defence and for me that was sadly lacking against Huddersfield a couple of weeks ago( and several other performances throughout the year)
Nothing wrong with them having time off if everything is ticking over, just with yet potentially another new face at full back on Friday is a couple of training sessions this week enough time to prepare for an important game if we want to push for a home semi?

Wigan have taken a different view and have been working hard, lets hope the players put in a big shift and prove Powell was right to let them have the week off.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 06 Aug 2018, 20:06

Sharlotiger wrote:
tigerfeat wrote:

Hope you are right, attitude always shows in defence and for me that was sadly lacking against Huddersfield a couple of weeks ago( and several other performances throughout the year)
Nothing wrong with them having time off if everything is ticking over, just with yet potentially another new face at full back on Friday is a couple of training sessions this week enough time to prepare for an important game if we want to push for a home semi?

Wigan have taken a different view and have been working hard, lets hope the players put in a big shift and prove Powell was right to let them have the week off.
How do you know Wigan have been working hard and how do you know our lot haven't since they were back ?

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 06 Aug 2018, 20:07

Sharlotiger wrote:
tigerfeat wrote:

Plus they haven't had a week off they got 4 days off

Dazzyb
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dazzyb » 06 Aug 2018, 20:46

If Cas beat Wigan on Friday which I think we will, I think we will win all the rest including saints, who I figure will rest a few prior to the semi’s. Ala cas last year with the hull drubbing

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Swagger » 06 Aug 2018, 20:48

This is the biggest game of the 7 for me. Win and I think we get 2nd. Lose and we fight it out for 3rd with Warrington. Can see Warrington losing a couple with the CC Final to play.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 07 Aug 2018, 09:57

Wire are in a tough position but have nearly a full fit squad. They can chop and change to keep players fresh, same as saints. But there's a lot of teams with nothing to play for.

After 2 matches we'll probably just have the 2nd to 4th teams playing for position. I expect saints to go hard and get the shield then build for the last match against us.

We'll be looking to build momentum and see where we are after the challenge cup final break. Losing to Wigan wouldn't be us out of the running for second. Someone else will turn them over.

stuey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stuey » 11 Aug 2018, 12:18

4th is no use to us, at it means Saints away and we NEVER win there. We need 2nd or 3rd to stand any chance at all. Win our next 6 and that is possible.

I think Huddersfield will finish 4th. They have now won 11 of their last 12, beaten the best side in the comp on their ground and now have 6 easier matches left. It would not suprise me if they won all of their last 7.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 11 Aug 2018, 12:27

stuey wrote:4th is no use to us, at it means Saints away and we NEVER win there. We need 2nd or 3rd to stand any chance at all. Win our next 6 and that is possible.

I think Huddersfield will finish 4th. They have now won 11 of their last 12, beaten the best side in the comp on their ground and now have 6 easier matches left. It would not suprise me if they won all of their last 7.
I also think hudds could nick a top 4 place.
I think ours and Warringtons place is in jeopardy.
I can’t see us winning all our remaining game, Warrington next week depending on what squad they put out is a banana skin. It’s a must win game.
I think they’ll put a decent side out as they are still playing for a top 4 finish.

But imo hudds are the dark horses.