Recruitment

Players in ... Players out. Got a rumour? Post it in here.
Spanishtiger
Verified

Re: Recruitment

Post by Spanishtiger » 05 Aug 2018, 01:58

To clarify,

For this season, each SL club has a maximum salary cap of £1.9m for their first team squad.
In addition to this, each club is allowed to nominate two marquee players, whose salaries count as 150k each, or 75k if they are club trained ( this means that they must have been contracted to said club for a minimum of 3 years before reaching the age of 21).
Any player who has never played professional rugby league anywhere in the world counts as £0 the first year and 50%of his actual salary in the second year.
Players who have not played.professional RL for 5 full years get the same allowance.
There are then some special dispensations regarding the production of youth talent and international players, which could give certain teams an extra 100k each (200k in total) exempted from the salary cap.
There's also an extra 15k available to clubs who comply with all player welfare requirements.

So without knowing the exact figures, what the club said is probably about right. ZH on 100kish was widely perceived to be our highest paid player ever. Added value to the cap as a marquee player, £0. Let's say that Milner's new deal is 100k, as a club trained player he would only count as 75k, freeing up 25k.
But that hypothetical contract is for next season, not this.

We don't have any players coming from another sport, so no extra there. Ditto returning players out of the game for 5 years.

In the context of this current season, Gale and McMeeken would qualify for the international allowance. Not sure how much that is, but seeing that the maximum allowance is 100k and certain teams had 4 or 5 players in the england squad I'd guess 40-50k.

A bit more ambiguity with the club trained allowance, according to the guidelines up to 100k extra can be awarded to teams that have produced the requisite amount of "SL standard" players. You'd have to imagine that players on season long loans to championship and league one teams don't count, although I couldn't find anything that actually specifies this.

So to be fair, perhaps the club are telling the truth with this.
30 players on an average wage of 70k would be £2.1m, the 1.9m plus about 200k that we're due in the various allowances, bearing in mind that we're not paying someone like George Williams or Sam Tomkins 250k a year but only putting 75k through the cap.

This year we've had 35 players in the first team squad, obviously a few of those will be earning less than 70k, this probably being offset by the ones that are earning more.

There's also an unspecified allowance for players that have spent 10 unbroken seasons contracted to the club, maybe Holme and Milner would qualify ?, not sure if academy contracts count ...

Since the start of this season we've added Watts, QLT and Matautia to the squad.

So when the club says that they've explored all avenues and don't have any cap space left I'd tend to believe them.

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 05 Aug 2018, 10:33

Spanishtiger wrote:To clarify,

For this season, each SL club has a maximum salary cap of £1.9m for their first team squad.
In addition to this, each club is allowed to nominate two marquee players, whose salaries count as 150k each, or 75k if they are club trained ( this means that they must have been contracted to said club for a minimum of 3 years before reaching the age of 21).
Any player who has never played professional rugby league anywhere in the world counts as £0 the first year and 50%of his actual salary in the second year.
Players who have not played.professional RL for 5 full years get the same allowance.
There are then some special dispensations regarding the production of youth talent and international players, which could give certain teams an extra 100k each (200k in total) exempted from the salary cap.
There's also an extra 15k available to clubs who comply with all player welfare requirements.

So without knowing the exact figures, what the club said is probably about right. ZH on 100kish was widely perceived to be our highest paid player ever. Added value to the cap as a marquee player, £0. Let's say that Milner's new deal is 100k, as a club trained player he would only count as 75k, freeing up 25k.

We don't have any players coming from another sport, so no extra there. Ditto returning players out of the game for 5 years.

In the context of this current season, Gale and McMeeken would qualify for the international allowance. Not sure how much that is, but seeing that the maximum allowance is 100k and certain teams had 4 or 5 players in the england squad I'd guess 40-50k.

A bit more ambiguity with the club trained allowance, according to the guidelines up to 100k extra can be awarded to teams that have produced the requisite amount of "SL standard" players. You'd have to imagine that players on season long loans to championship and league one teams don't count, although I couldn't find anything that actually specifies this.

30 players on an average wage of 70k would be £2.1m, the 1.9m plus about 200k that we're due in the various allowances, bearing in mind that we're not paying someone like George Williams or Sam Tomkins 250k a year but only putting 75k through the cap.

This year we've had 35 players in the first team squad, obviously a few of those will be earning less than 70k, this probably being offset by the ones that are earning more.

There's also an unspecified allowance for players that have spent 10 unbroken seasons contracted to the club, maybe Holme and Milner would qualify ?, not sure if academy contracts count ...

Since the start of this season we've added Watts, QLT and Matautia to the squad.

So when the club says that they've explored all avenues and don't have any cap space left I'd tend to believe them.
Wow, just wow. :clap:

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 05 Aug 2018, 11:53

Marvellous post. But to clarify further, instead of ZH costing £0 on the cap, he would have cost his exact amount? Ie £120k or whatever.

If his wages had been for arguments sake £250k pa, he’d have cost us £100k on the cap? If they’d been 300k, he’d have cost us £150k on the cap.

Is that right?

Surely the marquee players don’t cost ‘anything’ on the cap at all. Cheers,
Audacter Et Sincere

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 05 Aug 2018, 11:56

For example, assuming Barba is earning £300k pa af saints, saints will be ‘charged’ only 150k on the cap Allowance?

Just as an aside, anyone hazard a guess at barbas salary? Surely he’s on even more to my mind...
Audacter Et Sincere

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 05 Aug 2018, 12:03

Is there also a ruling whereby players don't count on the cap unless they play over 5 games in the season ? So the likes of Maheer, Douglas etc wont count.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 05 Aug 2018, 12:05

Mysterio wrote:For example, assuming Barba is earning £300k pa af saints, saints will be ‘charged’ only 150k on the cap Allowance?

Just as an aside, anyone hazard a guess at barbas salary? Surely he’s on even more to my mind...
Pretty sure Blake Austin will be come the highest paid player in SL history from next season.

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 05 Aug 2018, 12:15

I haven't a clue as to SL players wages, who do you think is Cas's highest paid player and how much? What sort of money will Blake Austin be on?

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 05 Aug 2018, 12:22

One thing to tag on regarding the salary cap is that there value is the average across the term of their contract I believe.

So if player X is paid £100k in year 1, £120k in year 2 and £125k in year 3, their salary cap value would be £115k across all the 3 years. This is to stop teams front loading or back loading contracts so £10k year 1 but £200k year 2
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 05 Aug 2018, 12:24

JIN JER wrote:I haven't a clue as to SL players wages, who do you think is Cas's highest paid player and how much? What sort of money will Blake Austin be on?
I’d say max Cas player would be on is around £150k, possibly Gale. Reckon Shenton and Roberts will be on around £120k too.

McMeeken is also centrally contracted by the RFL too.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 05 Aug 2018, 12:25

Sharlotiger wrote:Is there also a ruling whereby players don't count on the cap unless they play over 5 games in the season ? So the likes of Maheer, Douglas etc wont count.
Think they all count if they play in a salary cap valued game.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 05 Aug 2018, 12:26

Mysterio wrote:

Marvellous post. But to clarify further, instead of ZH costing £0 on the cap, he would have cost his exact amount? Ie £120k or whatever.

If his wages had been for arguments sake £250k pa, he’d have cost us £100k on the cap? If they’d been 300k, he’d have cost us £150k on the cap.

Is that right?

Surely the marquee players don’t cost ‘anything’ on the cap at all. Cheers,
Marquee players count on the cap but at a discounted rate. So you could sign a player and pay him £1m but he would only count as £150k on the cap.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 05 Aug 2018, 12:30

Sharlotiger wrote:
Mysterio wrote:For example, assuming Barba is earning £300k pa af saints, saints will be ‘charged’ only 150k on the cap Allowance?

Pretty sure Blake Austin will be come the highest paid player in SL history from next season.
Are you being serious ?
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 05 Aug 2018, 12:48

Am I getting confused here, but I thought the Marquee contract was a way of keeping our home grown players from moving to Oz, a way in which the clubs could pay players not to leave? I genuinely didn't realise it extended to overseas players. I've lost touch as we're not into Marquee signings at Trinity, I'd guess our top earner would probably on £70K maximum.

TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TheSheriff » 05 Aug 2018, 13:15

Marquee player rule is overseas players count £150k on the cap and home grown £100k, Jinj.

I doubt you'd have been able to keep Tom Johnstone at only 70k a year too, he will probably be pushing 100k or at the least be on a contract that goes up year on year.

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 05 Aug 2018, 18:05

HuddsTigers wrote:
JIN JER wrote:I haven't a clue as to SL players wages, who do you think is Cas's highest paid player and how much? What sort of money will Blake Austin be on?
I’d say max Cas player would be on is around £150k, possibly Gale. Reckon Shenton and Roberts will be on around £120k too.

McMeeken is also centrally contracted by the RFL too.
Cant wait till roberts is off the cap then cos we could sign a quality player for that

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 05 Aug 2018, 18:32

We've not had our money's worth from Roberts maybe there will be a twist in the tale and he will help win us final in a few weeks ..
Vince Lombardi

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 09 Aug 2018, 22:01

Wonder if jon wells is thinking of Anthony gelling for next year no way known to man will Widnes be in super league
Vince Lombardi

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 10 Aug 2018, 10:23

Gelling would of been perfect for us but can only think he wanted paying to much
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 10 Aug 2018, 17:44

tigerfeat wrote:Wonder if jon wells is thinking of Anthony gelling for next year no way known to man will Widnes be in super league
Think the deal isn’t dependant on SL status
Audacter Et Sincere

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 10 Aug 2018, 17:45

Mysterio wrote:
tigerfeat wrote:Wonder if jon wells is thinking of Anthony gelling for next year no way known to man will Widnes be in super league
Think the deal isn’t dependant on SL status
Didn't someone post something about Gelling saying he'd still play for Widnes in the Championship if they went down.