Super 8's

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Super 8's

Post by Tigerade » 13 Jun 2018, 12:28

I heard the vote was 10-2 in favour of one-up-one-down. Rhino's was obviously one who voted against. I wonder how we voted?

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 13 Jun 2018, 12:29

mart0042 wrote:
nottinghamtiger wrote:
St Albans tiger wrote:Also are we going back to playing dome teams three times as we used to or are we cutting the season down to just home and away fixtures.
I suspect it will be 14 teams in SL (26 games) plus Magic Weekend.
Yes I do aswell. Toronto added certainly.
The article in the link to Total Rugby doesn't suggest that but 23 games as now and a new draw for the remainder?
Spreading the Cas gene pool

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 13 Jun 2018, 12:50

Tigerade wrote:I heard the vote was 10-2 in favour of one-up-one-down. Rhino's was obviously one who voted against. I wonder how we voted?
Probably with it, as I'd think the majority of clubs would like to minimise the chances of going down. All it takes is one bad season a la Leeds, Wire and you could be in for a scrap. You could also end up with a stack load of injuries at the end of the season going into Middle 8s and get relegated through unfortunate circumstances.

I don't mind 1 up, 1 down but it's a logistical nightmare for a promoted club. And it's also the same situation which saw clubs breaking the cap, no names mentioned :roll: , to stay in Super League. This system is much more low risk as clubs have 3 chances to stay up.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Nobody
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nobody » 13 Jun 2018, 14:46

According to RFL nothing agreed. Couldn't run a bath between them!
🐯 COYF!

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 13 Jun 2018, 16:34

It says 1st and 2nd in the championship will play each other in the million pound match to decide who will be promoted, the decision not been made yet was referring to how many teams each league will have next year. I think they will go with 14 to try add Toronto n Toulouse like already suggested, which means who ever loses in the millon pound game this year could end up still in sl next year.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 13 Jun 2018, 21:24

jackknife wrote:It says 1st and 2nd in the championship will play each other in the million pound match to decide who will be promoted, the decision not been made yet was referring to how many teams each league will have next year. I think they will go with 14 to try add Toronto n Toulouse like already suggested, which means who ever loses in the millon pound game this year could end up still in sl next year.
There is no way we will have 14 sides in SL next season, doubt the vote to share the SKY money with an extra 2 sides would result in a 11- 1 vote. Do you think Cas would vote to take less money from the pot to share with an extra 2 teams?

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 13 Jun 2018, 23:56

Nobody wrote:According to RFL nothing agreed. Couldn't run a bath between them!
correct mate, elstone been in the job 2 minutes and already we're a laughing stock.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

Nobody
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nobody » 13 Jun 2018, 23:59

Didn't take them long to pull the carpet from under his feet :)
🐯 COYF!

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 14 Jun 2018, 09:09

Sharlotiger wrote:
jackknife wrote:It says 1st and 2nd in the championship will play each other in the million pound match to decide who will be promoted, the decision not been made yet was referring to how many teams each league will have next year. I think they will go with 14 to try add Toronto n Toulouse like already suggested, which means who ever loses in the millon pound game this year could end up still in sl next year.
There is no way we will have 14 sides in SL next season, doubt the vote to share the SKY money with an extra 2 sides would result in a 11- 1 vote. Do you think Cas would vote to take less money from the pot to share with an extra 2 teams?
The alternative of two leagues of 10 would probably divide the money even further though. Funding 14 teams would be more money per team than funding 20 teams.

Given that the Super 8s won’t exist anymore I can’t see how the league can remain as a 12, unless we go back the the ridiculous system of playing some teams twice and some teams three times( I know we do that at Magic already but that’s one game, not four or five). Last time that happened it cost the clubs money as attendances dropped due to so many repeated fixtures. We had the same clubs playing each other five times over the season (if I remember right one fixture was played six times - three regular league games, Magic Weekend, Cup game and play-off game).

Fourteen teams gives a regular season of 27 games, presuming Magic Weekend still takes place (every team plays home and away plus one game at Magic).
My preference would be for a top four play-off as it is now to decide GF winners.
I’d do a similar system for relegation and promotion. I’m against the idea of automatic promotion as it often leads to a weaker team replacing a stronger team and therefore yo-yo clubs who inevitabely collapse financially. However, there needs to be an opportunity for promotion if a Championship club can perform better than a SL club.
Alongside the top four play-off, I’d go with:
13th in SL plays 2nd in Championship with SL club at home - winner through to promotion game.
14th in SL plays 1st in Championship with Championship club at home - winner through to promotion game.
Winners of games above play-off for a place in SL the following year. In this way, there is an opportunity for Championship teams to be promoted, but it will avoid weaker teams replacing stronger teams. It’s not perfect (it still relies on two games for example) but it’s better than straight promotion.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 14 Jun 2018, 13:43

nottinghamtiger wrote:
Sharlotiger wrote:
The alternative of two leagues of 10 would probably divide the money even further though. Funding 14 teams would be more money per team than funding 20 teams.

Given that the Super 8s won’t exist anymore I can’t see how the league can remain as a 12, unless we go back the the ridiculous system of playing some teams twice and some teams three times( I know we do that at Magic already but that’s one game, not four or five). Last time that happened it cost the clubs money as attendances dropped due to so many repeated fixtures. We had the same clubs playing each other five times over the season (if I remember right one fixture was played six times - three regular league games, Magic Weekend, Cup game and play-off game).

Fourteen teams gives a regular season of 27 games, presuming Magic Weekend still takes place (every team plays home and away plus one game at Magic).
My preference would be for a top four play-off as it is now to decide GF winners.
I’d do a similar system for relegation and promotion. I’m against the idea of automatic promotion as it often leads to a weaker team replacing a stronger team and therefore yo-yo clubs who inevitabely collapse financially. However, there needs to be an opportunity for promotion if a Championship club can perform better than a SL club.
Alongside the top four play-off, I’d go with:
13th in SL plays 2nd in Championship with SL club at home - winner through to promotion game.
14th in SL plays 1st in Championship with Championship club at home - winner through to promotion game.
Winners of games above play-off for a place in SL the following year. In this way, there is an opportunity for Championship teams to be promoted, but it will avoid weaker teams replacing stronger teams. It’s not perfect (it still relies on two games for example) but it’s better than straight promotion.
Pretty sure we will stick with 12 teams and revert back to the glory days of pre 2006 when everything was well with the game..... back to a top 6 play off system for both SL and Championship with the Championship GF winners replacing the side finishing bottom of SL.

There is simply not enough quality players around to sustain a meaningful 14 team comp at minute and with 14 we would end up with so many dull meaningless games where the top sides know they don't need to perform on a weekly basis. Is these alternatives really better than what we have at present? SL clubs may believe so with less pressure on them but Championship clubs would say no as they have enjoyed being able to put the frightners on the big boys.

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 15 Jun 2018, 08:35

I think this tinkering constantly with the league structures is because the sport was ridiculously undersold to Sky last time around. Lets hope Elstone does a better job with it if he's still around by then!

callum_walker
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by callum_walker » 18 Jun 2018, 15:23

My take on this whole situation is that Lenagan and co. have the right idea with regards to scrapping the Super 8s, but the way they have gone about it is far too high-handed and arrogant.

If you are bothered about reading my view in full: https://uk.blastingnews.com/sport/2018/ ... 31315.html

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 18 Jun 2018, 15:31

callum_walker wrote:My take on this whole situation is that Lenagan and co. have the right idea with regards to scrapping the Super 8s, but the way they have gone about it is far too high-handed and arrogant.

If you are bothered about reading my view in full: https://uk.blastingnews.com/sport/2018/ ... 31315.html
Back to posting on multiple threads I see, Callum. even when the admins have asked you not to do so a number of times and have created you a thread specially for these.
Talk about biting the hand that feeds you....

matt_casfan
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by matt_casfan » 18 Jun 2018, 16:56

nottinghamtiger wrote:
callum_walker wrote:My take on this whole situation is that Lenagan and co. have the right idea with regards to scrapping the Super 8s, but the way they have gone about it is far too high-handed and arrogant.

Back to posting on multiple threads I see, Callum. even when the admins have asked you not to do so a number of times and have created you a thread specially for these.
Talk about biting the hand that feeds you....
Leave him alone FFS.

He hasn't started a new thread. His article is clearly on topic.

He is no longer constantly creating new topics which was the main issue.

As he said, if you want to read it feel free. If not ignore it.

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 18 Jun 2018, 17:47

The point is that he has been asked not to do so.