2018's Signings

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

2018's Signings

Post by MØL » 18 May 2018, 11:19

Hey everyone.

Looking at our 2018 signings now, what's everyone's thoughts when they were announced last year and your thoughts on them all now. How have they all done?

Joe Wardle:
- Then: Excited, highly rated when he was at Huddersfield and constantly one of their better players.
- Now: Struggling to find his past form, change of positioning and injury early on doesn't help. He'll come good though.

Gary Lo:
- Then: Eager to see him in our team, had a stand out world cup and had that Carney look and approach to his game.
- Now: One game, one try, one terminated contract, one flight home.

Jamie Ellis:
- Then: Beyond unhappy.
- Now: Played some ok games and actually made a fair few tries but still unhappy that we thought his signing was needed, especially giving him a three year deal. He'll be on quite a bit more then Tom Holmes was (i'd imagine) and reckon Tom would've done the same if not a better job. Seems to struggle to control the game without someone like Gale besides him and seems to sometimes panic on the last with his kicks.

Mitch Clark:
- Then: Not the greatest signing in the world but not everyone is gonna be. I was happy at Powell had brought him on board, looked forward to see his impact.
- Now: Would of liked to see him get at least a couple of games, especially one over Easter. Seems Featherstone are very happy with him over there. Powell also seems happy and sees him in the squad in the future.

James Green:
- Then: Cautious but willing to trust Powell
- Now: Had a decent preseason but limited and poor game time think he'll be off at the end of the year.

James Clare:
- Then: Disappointed when he left the first time around so was happy to see him return although that been said we had an abundance of wingers.
- Now: Solid in the games he's played. Favoured ahead of Jy, Gill and Lo (was). Shame with his injury he would of had a huge string of games. Out of contract at the end of the year. I'd perhaps let him go. We need the signing of a quality winger that matches the likes of Eden and in the recent past Denny and Carney. I imagine Powell will sign him up for another season though which i wouldn't grumble about. Think he as another one option on his current contract.

Cory Aston:
- Then: Confusing signing with Gale, Ellis, Roberts and Trueman and with the departure of Holmes.
- Now: Never played. Still confused. If he doesn't play before Roberts is back to fitness then i don't think we'll see him this season at all.

Liam Watts:
- Then: Outstanding capture
- Now: Just what we all were craving for. Excellent in his performances, particularly Hull away.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Re: 2018's Signings

Post by Mysterio » 18 May 2018, 12:30

Overall, the worst performing set of Powell signings?
Audacter Et Sincere

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 18 May 2018, 12:36

Moh reading your post I think you have got it spot on, our recruitment for this year excluding WATTS as NOT been very impressive by Daryls standards but no one will know better than him

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 18 May 2018, 12:58

2017 was a season to build off with the only person leaving that i was disappointing seeing going was Luis Johnson. (Obviously Zak although terminated around February) Wardle seemed like we were going in that direction although the others were pretty much woeful. Thankfully Watts became available...would we have signed another prop if he hadn't? Doubtful...

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 18 May 2018, 13:46

Wardle - thought he'd add competition to the back row and really shore us up defensively along with McMeeken and Holmes. Still a lot to prove for me, particularly in attack

Lo - had a good World Cup but always said it should be taken with a pinch when playing against sides with part-timers in. Shame he's gone for whatever reason but we move on and I'm sure we'll look to bring in someone else.

Ellis - more experience than Holmes. Fairly solid player and good back-up option. Not had a settled partnership with anyone and has a lot of pressure to lead the team at the moment. Needs to work on his defence but solid recruit.

Clark - Not had a shot so unfair to comment on his time at Cas. Was impressed in pre-season and would like to think he could play a part in seasons to come

Green - Solid signing at the start but for me I think he was a punt and I can't see us offering him a new deal.

Clare - Cas lad, knows his way to the line and thought he got bagged quite unfairly by fans on here. Decent enough and good solid back-up player.

Aston - Not really confusing seeing as he was a replacement for McClelland. Clearly his last chance at a shot of SL for me. Looked OK in pre-season but perhaps the vision is long-term replacement for Roberts with Trueman and Ellis.

Watts - Felt we needed someone aggressive to add to the pack to replace Lynch. Excellent signing started well and leading from the front - others need to match it or we need to drop them. No time for carrying players.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 18 May 2018, 14:04

HuddsTigers wrote:Wardle - thought he'd add competition to the back row and really shore us up defensively along with McMeeken and Holmes. Still a lot to prove for me, particularly in attack

Lo - had a good World Cup but always said it should be taken with a pinch when playing against sides with part-timers in. Shame he's gone for whatever reason but we move on and I'm sure we'll look to bring in someone else.

Ellis - more experience than Holmes. Fairly solid player and good back-up option. Not had a settled partnership with anyone and has a lot of pressure to lead the team at the moment. Needs to work on his defence but solid recruit.

Clark - Not had a shot so unfair to comment on his time at Cas. Was impressed in pre-season and would like to think he could play a part in seasons to come

Green - Solid signing at the start but for me I think he was a punt and I can't see us offering him a new deal.

Clare - Cas lad, knows his way to the line and thought he got bagged quite unfairly by fans on here. Decent enough and good solid back-up player.

Aston - Not really confusing seeing as he was a replacement for McClelland. Clearly his last chance at a shot of SL for me. Looked OK in pre-season but perhaps the vision is long-term replacement for Roberts with Trueman and Ellis.

Watts - Felt we needed someone aggressive to add to the pack to replace Lynch. Excellent signing started well and leading from the front - others need to match it or we need to drop them. No time for carrying players.
We were in talks with Aston before Edinburgh came for McLelland though.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 18 May 2018, 14:49

Watts apart the rest have been pretty much as poor as most people have said from day one. Waddle is an expensive mistake and was never going to crack it for us, past his best.

TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TheSheriff » 18 May 2018, 15:53

Bunch of crap signings which shows why Gill lost his job and one excellent signing by Wells.

They look a lot like 'oh Daryll is a good coach he will cover up these guys weaknessess'. Next year they need to give him quality which I believe Wells will do.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 18 May 2018, 17:19

MØL wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:Wardle - thought he'd add competition to the back row and really shore us up defensively along with McMeeken and Holmes. Still a lot to prove for me, particularly in attack

Except Daryl Powell clearly states here:

"He's a late addition BECAUSE of Callum McLelland going to rugby union"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS856RqLzQ8

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 18 May 2018, 17:21

Lofthouse Tiger wrote:Watts apart the rest have been pretty much as poor as most people have said from day one. Waddle is an expensive mistake and was never going to crack it for us, past his best.
Joe Wardle is past his best? He's 26!!!

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 18 May 2018, 17:25

HuddsTigers wrote:
MØL wrote:

Except Daryl Powell clearly states here:

"He's a late addition BECAUSE of Callum McLelland going to rugby union"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS856RqLzQ8
Stand corrected. Didn't realise Edinburgh were after Callum halfway through '17.

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 18 May 2018, 17:29

HuddsTigers wrote:
Lofthouse Tiger wrote:Watts apart the rest have been pretty much as poor as most people have said from day one. Waddle is an expensive mistake and was never going to crack it for us, past his best.
Joe Wardle is past his best? He's 26!!!
Thought the same. I think with his injury and having to play both at centre and second row it's disrupted his form and ability to settle into the squad. He'll come good. Just hope it's soon.

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 18 May 2018, 20:24

Watts has been excellent. Wardle will come good eventually because he has quality in him.

Have my doubts about the other signings this year but would be happy to be proved wrong!

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 19 May 2018, 16:29

Since when did age come in to being past your best? You don’t have to be old to be past your best days in the same way that not every older player isn’t still good.

Waddle has had several chances but has he really done anything big in the game? Why didn’t Leeds, Wigan, Saints or Warrington want him do you think? We are seeing why.

TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TheSheriff » 19 May 2018, 18:16

Wardle was never anything more than average overall but strong defender.