Full back

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
stuey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Full back

Post by stuey » 12 May 2018, 16:49

Last year we had the best full back in SL and won the LLS by miles and would have won the Grand Final as well if Zak had behaved himself.

This year Saints have the best fullback (by miles) in Sl and they are on course to win all three trophies this year.

He wins the "man of the match" award every week he plays. Thats`s every televised match involving Saints so far this season, he has taken the award.
Last edited by stuey on 12 May 2018, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Full back

Post by Sharlotiger » 12 May 2018, 16:56

Shows the quality you can get when you are willing to pay for marque players. Is it purely a coincidence that the top sides have them, Saints 2, Wigan 2 and Wire 1.
These sides are probably spending an extra quarter of a million on the cap compared to us.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 12 May 2018, 17:01

It’s the most important position in the game at the moment.
I’m not sure it’s to do with the marquee player rule. Hardaker wasn’t a marquee player. There have been some marquee players who haven’t played at the level of non-marquee players (Sandow, Tomkins).
As a general rule to be challenging you have to have a good full back.
We haven’t.

stuey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stuey » 12 May 2018, 17:03

It shows how vital that position is along with both half-backs and hooker (the so called "spine").

Get 4 good players there and you will do well. Currently we have three of our last seasons "spine" missing, and it shows in our performances. Add in a 30 plus try scorer missing as well, and its clear to see why we are a shadow of last years team.

WallTiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by WallTiger » 12 May 2018, 17:08

Surely it’s time to give Jy a chance at fullback. Safe hands and offers us some pace that is serious lacking in the position at the moment? It’s a position he’s played in before as well. Or give Callum Turner a chance, his natural position and can’t offer us less than we’ve currently had!
Last edited by WallTiger on 12 May 2018, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.

lidds
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by lidds » 12 May 2018, 17:10

stuey wrote:It shows how vital that position is along with both half-backs and hooker (the so called "spine").

Get 4 good players there and you will do well. Currently we have three of our last seasons "spine" missing, and it shows in our performances. Add in a 30 plus try scorer missing as well, and its clear to see why we are a shadow of last years team.
I was just thinking the same.

If today we had
1) proper Full back
6) Benny
7) gale
9) mcshane

It would have been a lot lot closer. We are now over half way through the regular season, so can't see us getting anyone in unfortunately. Just hope we can get it sorted for next year

Edit: just to add. It must be difficult for the rest of the team last year Gale had a constant voice behind him helping direct who knew exactly what to look for as a FB. This year we have had 3

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 12 May 2018, 17:50

It depends now wether were just happy to see out the season finsh 5th or 6th and re-group for next year or try and bring a player in maybe on loan who might change the attack which now as lost all confidence and looks shot to bits
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mucky1978 » 12 May 2018, 18:17

WallTiger wrote:Surely it’s time to give Jy a chance at fullback. Safe hands and offers us some pace that is serious lacking in the position at the moment? It’s a position he’s played in before as well. Or give Callum Turner a chance, his natural position and can’t offer us less than we’ve currently had!
Come of it
Jy is not the answer watched him a few times even for Batley last season and he didn’t stand out.
I’d try and swap him for the lad at Fev

Fatlad123

Post by Fatlad123 » 12 May 2018, 21:21

I'm new to this forum but I strongly believe that Jy Hitchcock should be given a opportunity to prove himself at full back, I thought he was Castleford's mom today. He ran more strongly than junior and a few more forwards, they need to take the ball forward before trying to off load the ball. But it barba was just class

Castiger2017
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Castiger2017 » 12 May 2018, 21:39

Fatlad123 wrote:I'm new to this forum but I strongly believe that Jy Hitchcock should be given a opportunity to prove himself at full back, I thought he was Castleford's mom today. He ran more strongly than junior and a few more forwards, they need to take the ball forward before trying to off load the ball. But it barba was just class
I like jy and think he played ok today but he is so not a full back it’s untrue but then again niether is shenton and Powell picked him there so who knows.desperate times I’m afraid

Bigjohno

Post by Bigjohno » 12 May 2018, 22:34

Im new to posting on this site but like the majority of us tigers i i i feel frustated so far this season.We keep trying different players at Fullback that are not recognised fullbacks!! yet if I'm correct we have a young fullback on the books in Callum Turner!! I thought he did ok against Hull on the wing when we lost trueman.might be young but other top teams seem to blood young players, and look at trueman so far has been the highlight so far this season.
COYF

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 12 May 2018, 22:42

Hitchcox isn’t the answer. We ALL knew we’d have little chance even with Eden at fullback this season so why didn’t we go FIND a fullback. They ARE out ther especially if you MAKE THEM BE.

Hitchcox effort on Barba when he caught up was amateurish and, well, lame...
Audacter Et Sincere

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 12 May 2018, 22:54

Mysterio wrote:Hitchcox isn’t the answer. We ALL knew we’d have little chance even with Eden at fullback this season so why didn’t we go FIND a fullback. They ARE out ther especially if you MAKE THEM BE.

At least he made the effort to run all way from opposite wing. Minikin and Shenton were no where to be seen.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 12 May 2018, 22:57

InTheKnow wrote:
Mysterio wrote:Hitchcox isn’t the answer. We ALL knew we’d have little chance even with Eden at fullback this season so why didn’t we go FIND a fullback. They ARE out ther especially if you MAKE THEM BE.

At least he made the effort to run all way from opposite wing. Minikin and Shenton were no where to be seen.
He’d have been better conserving energy to be frank.
Audacter Et Sincere

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 12 May 2018, 23:01

Always learned to never give up on a chase. Like the other 12 did. Not sure why so many don't like Jy. He has played the exact same as all other wingers this year. But Jy gets the most stick.

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 12 May 2018, 23:03

InTheKnow wrote:Always learned to never give up on a chase. Like the other 12 did. Not sure why so many don't like Jy. He has played the exact same as all other wingers this year. But Jy gets the most stick.

unfair disadvantage being on the quota list..

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 12 May 2018, 23:09

True. Will give you that. As far as Wingers go though.... Minikin seems to miss out on any stick but he's doing nothing at all this season.

Fatlad123

Post by Fatlad123 » 12 May 2018, 23:11

I thought Jy showed more commitment and enthusiasm than the rest., Yes we definitely need a full back but we are not going to get a world class one mid season. Jy fullback, shenton back at centre and Trueman's in the Half's,with the best hooker in SL back at hooker

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 12 May 2018, 23:16

InTheKnow wrote:True. Will give you that. As far as Wingers go though.... Minikin seems to miss out on any stick but he's doing nothing at all this season.

he's 3rd in tackle busts, metres and carries and top in clean breaks. He hasn't been class but no one has, stats don't lie though.

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 12 May 2018, 23:29

If stats don't lie..... McMeekan is top of carries and metres made..... Why does he get so much stick?