World Club Series

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

World Club Series

Post by HuddsTigers » 13 Feb 2018, 21:35

Just been listening to the Ollie Holmes show on Proper Sport radio and I’m a bit disappointed to hear that no one has explained to the players why they aren’t playing over in Aus this weekend.

It sounds like they would have been keen to have a crack and someone has pulled the rug from under their feet. I know the Aussies didn’t want to come across here, but it would have been nice for transparency purposes including to the players who put their backs on the line as to why this has been allowed to happen, and why we weren’t given an invitation to go over instead. And if so, why it has been declined.

Ive said in the past that I wasn’t bothered if it’s for financial reasons. I understand that. But on reflection part of me also has to now question why the club didn’t take the hit and try to recoup through merchandise etc. It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity for us as a club and fans.

If it’s that the Aussies wouldn’t play little old Cas or we weren’t a big enough pull for them then we need to jack it in as a concept and the RFL need to stop Wigan/Hull etc playing in it when they didn’t qualify. It’s unfair for a mediocre side like Wigan to be involved after last year at our detriment, and it just smacks of self interest and money going to the same old big clubs. The RFL should protect the interests of all clubs and I hope they did. If the club declined, then it would be interesting to hear the reasons why.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Squaddie86
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: World Club Series

Post by Squaddie86 » 13 Feb 2018, 22:00

I'd say its fairly simple:

Hull and Wigan bribed their way into the friendlies with cold hard cash, Leeds earned the right by winning the big prize.

Neither Cas nor the RFL can stop Wigan and Hull arranging fixtures where they want, or organising a friendly in their off week (well, the Super League organisers might be able to? Is there anything in the rules regarding where teams play fixtures or the organisation of friendlies?)

Would Cas have gone if we won the Final? We shall never know.
Last edited by Squaddie86 on 13 Feb 2018, 22:05, edited 1 time in total.

Towns88
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Towns88 » 13 Feb 2018, 22:00

Would have been interesting had we won the grand final. I don't think it's something the club have pursued, whereas I have no doubt GH will have been like a dog with a bone making sure leeds got a gig .

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 13 Feb 2018, 22:03

Last season we punched well above our weight and i can understand why the players would be disappointed , i am sure the reason we have not gone down under is purely financial, whether we like it or not we are a small town club with no financial backer, a lot of our players have agreed longer contracts these want paying for, we cant spend our resource's twice, would i have liked them to go down under yes i would

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 13 Feb 2018, 22:08

gateman wrote:Last season we punched well above our weight and i can understand why the players would be disappointed , i am sure the reason we have not gone down under is purely financial, whether we like it or not we are a small town club with no financial backer, a lot of our players have agreed longer contracts these want paying for, we cant spend our resource's twice, would i have liked them to go down under yes i would
Even so, how much would it cost to fly over for one week with 25 people? And couldn’t the club have spoken to sponsors and got someone to put up the cost of the trip? Surely having their brand everywhere would have been great for someone? Have we been commercially naive or short sighted? Have we been sold down a river by the Aussies and the RFL? I’d just love to know all the facts.

This weekend I’ve been sick of the media saying how wonderful it is for rugby league that Hull and Wigan have played a SL game over there. Well actually, what I would have found wonderful would have been a small club like Cas being involved; that would set a precedent for Super League and given hope to all sides little and large that dreams can come true and even the smallest fish can play in a big pond.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 13 Feb 2018, 22:26

On current form. Glad we haven't gone over.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 13 Feb 2018, 22:30

Wigan will have made a lot of money out of so much so theve paid hull , i think they got two new sponors on board through it the backing off a tourist agancy thats before you come to all the merchandise they will have sold
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 13 Feb 2018, 22:36

Phil clark came out with the dumbest statment ive heard since the last time i listened to him , its just like the nfl taking a game to london err no its not phil ,should have gone to toronto or new york but then the wigan chairman wouldnt have made so much dosh
Vince Lombardi

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 13 Feb 2018, 22:49

tigerfeat wrote:Phil clark came out with the dumbest statment ive heard since the last time i listened to him , its just like the nfl taking a game to london err no its not phil ,should have gone to toronto or new york but then the wigan chairman wouldnt have made so much dosh
Phil Clark is a nugget. NFL bring a game to London for expansion and grow the game. Australia is the capital of RL. They ain't fussed for a superleague game. As proven by the 12k gate. Plenty would have been English too so not too many Aussies.

ERG2012
League One Player
League One Player

Post by ERG2012 » 13 Feb 2018, 23:01

Rugby league and the NFL are poles apart. Bloke is an idiot for making such a comparison.

Didn't the NFL sell Wembley out 3 times in 20mins last season... We can't sell our showpiece out!

As for going to Australia you'd be looking at 100k + for the trip

Tiger53
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tiger53 » 13 Feb 2018, 23:24

The Wigan v Hull game was always just a way to circumvent their way into the WCC. As soon as it was proposed the intended WCC ( the RFL had previously announced it would involve the GF winners and the LLS winners) and it gave Melbourne the perfect opportunity to side-step coming here, as was originally intended. The main game only survived because Leeds choose to go over there.

The game had to be ratified by the RFL before it could take place and if the had had the balls to refuse it, the WCC would gave taken place as originally intended. No other club would have got away with it but, of course, it was Wigan.

KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Post by KB80 » 14 Feb 2018, 00:48

Looks like Hull are counting the cost of it!

Houghton out for a couple of months, Taylor rushed into hospital for appendix removal.

Minchello, Connor, Watts and Faraimo all with knocks.

Hopefully nothing major, just enough to keep them sidelined for the next 2 weeks would do ;)

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 14 Feb 2018, 08:32

KB80 wrote:Looks like Hull are counting the cost of it!

Houghton out for a couple of months, Taylor rushed into hospital for appendix removal.

Minchello, Connor, Watts and Faraimo all with knocks.

Hopefully nothing major, just enough to keep them sidelined for the next 2 weeks would do ;)

Thats a shame :-({|=

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 14 Feb 2018, 10:08

Strange how some people defended the club 100% when we chose not to go yet now they are questioning the club as we all do about why we didnt. Cant have it both ways folks.

As for the players not even knowing why, are you really surprised?

drleftie
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by drleftie » 14 Feb 2018, 20:03

I'm pleased we aren't involved, it seems to me other than our GF winners vs theirs the competition is nothing more than a bunch of unnecessary friendlies.
However if the Cas players feel they should have been involved they should be showing everybody what they're missing. Getting a pasting at Saints and scraping a win at home to Widnes is hardly going to make the organisers feel they made a mistake in not having Cas down under atm.

Adelaide Tigurrrr!
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Adelaide Tigurrrr! » 15 Feb 2018, 09:37

Didn't it ever occur to the players to ask why?

Or did they ask and the club wouldn't tell them?

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 16 Feb 2018, 12:05

it looks like both hull and wigan are going to do very nicely thank you money wise out of going over there,i cant remember if we were given the chance to go and turned it down or not given that chance to go
Vince Lombardi

stuey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stuey » 16 Feb 2018, 12:18

If they have to send the second best UK team to Australia, a stuffing is what they end up with!!

The League leaders after 30 games should have gone, not the winners of an end of season k/o comp.

The whole last two weeks has been a joke. Why should the Hull & Wigan supporters have to forkout £1000 or so to watch a game that should have been played in the UK? Why should the second best side in this country be playing in the World Series match?

Adelaide Tigurrrr!
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Adelaide Tigurrrr! » 16 Feb 2018, 12:33

stuey wrote:If they have to send the second best UK team to Australia, a stuffing is what they end up with!!

The League leaders after 30 games should have gone, not the winners of an end of season k/o comp.

The whole last two weeks has been a joke. Why should the Hull & Wigan supporters have to forkout £1000 or so to watch a game that should have been played in the UK? Why should the second best side in this country be playing in the World Series match?
Leeds won the GF last year thats why they have gone. Every year since 1998 the GF winners have played in the WCC. We know the rules before the season starts.

If Leeds had won the LLS last year and us the GF would you be saying Leeds should have played in the WCC. Instead of us ..... I doubt it.

Nu Shooze
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nu Shooze » 16 Feb 2018, 12:42

stuey wrote:If they have to send the second best UK team to Australia, a stuffing is what they end up with!!