Solomona settlement

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Andymac

Re: Solomona settlement

Post by Andymac » 25 Feb 2017, 09:56

viva brad wrote:Andymac. We are all entitled to our opinions and ask questions and at times to play devils advocate just to make people think about another view point. You are quite right either party could have called for negotiation and i have heard that a judge can also suggest that the parties start negotiation purely on the basis that one of the parties has a very strong case and it would be foolish for the other party to peruse the case through the courts as they will lose and end up with a huge legal bill.

However various legal publications have stated the strength of Castlefords case so it would be fair to assume that once the barristers have sat down in the pre trial meeting and examined the points of the case that an out of court settlement would be the best course of action. Also just a little bit of food for thought RU is by far a richer sport than ours and if the legal advice was cas don't have a leg to stand on would Sale's legal team get round the table and negotiate and out of court settlement, probably not they have the backing to take it all the way to clear their name.

As I say this is a forum where we are all entitled to challenge a way of thinking providing we do it in the right way and respect the opinions of other
Thank, despite what other may think I am just putting forward an alternative view. Alot of what you say makes sense, but I don't think it as as clean cut as others think - why else would we agree to enter settlement talks. As the party who took the case, it was entirely up to us to agree to enter negotiations or say nope we are confident in our case and will go to court to prove us and RL are the aggrieved party.

As you say, on the eve of the hearing the judge may have looked at it and told someone/both to save themselves money and go make an agreement as potentially neither side would get what they want ( is us want £500k, SS believe they owe nothing) and as many predicted within the next couple of months both will agree a figure somewhere in between.

Which leads me back to my point, if we can get the £300k that SS allegedly offered, we should take it and be done with it. The reality is that DS is not going to come back to RL anytime soon so the worst option would be if we win the case, SS had to pay 3 months of his £50k salary and we ended up having him back!

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 25 Feb 2017, 11:24

If the rfl are bankrolling the court case they might have advised us to enter negotiations also, sale may have been advised by their legal representatives that they slim chance. If they are admitting guilt we would be foolish not to listen to what they say. Each day this goes on the legal fees on each side go up x £1000s so a speedy settlement is what is best for both parties money in the bank sooner the better that's what I say.

Ps andymac it just always gets me when someone's first post is negative. No offence meant.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 25 Feb 2017, 17:49

Andymac wrote:
TT Tiger wrote:
Andymac wrote:Out of curiousity, why is everyone assuming it is Sale who are looking for a settlement? The case was brought by Cas, so this adjournment will have been brought by Cas. (I am not saying who is or isn't the most worried, just not as convinced as everyone else that it is Sale). I do not know who their legal counsel is but they have a senior partner of one of the biggest commercial law firms in the country on their BOD.

FWIW if we get offered the rumoured £300k they originally offered we should grab it!

I also guess that both clubs will want a NDA, but I cannot see how we could hide a cash input of 300k or above on annual accounts. That is a big whack to show as "other income" although they may be some way for Sale to pay that directly to Leeds for Zak or into the new stadium and the settlement amount would effectively be hidden.
As someone who joined the forum the day after DS did not show up for training I find this a coincidence you decide this should be your first post alternate motive perhaps?
I have followed this forum for several years, and as Sherlock has deduced I joined about when the DS story started, but does that make my opinion any less valid?

Everyone on this forum is confident that SS are in the wrong and are so convinced of that, it means this suspension is SS have given up.

I asked a question why are we so confident? SS fans and forums have taken the opposite view, on that Cas legal team have threatened injunctions ( which have not happened) and after alot of public threats have got to the court date and then requested a suspension of the case they took. ( Suggesting it was alot of bluster with no merit and the bluff was called)

As I stated before there is an alternative narrative to that what most on this forum assume to be true.

And so there is no shadow of doubt. I believe SS have not acting well or in a sporting manner, RL needs to win this and also needs to close any loopholes in future contracts so this does not happen again. But I am not as convinced as some others that SS are going to end up paying £500k.

Cas need to get as much money as they can on negotiations and RFL needs to get a contract template in place for all clubs where this situation does not arise again.

Pretty sure there was a statement from Cas, or some comment, stating that Cas never sought an injunction because they didn't want to disrupt Denny's life further.

On a side note, I hear what you are saying but Cas are extremely confident and I think they really do intend to see this through to the end.

Given Sale were eager to avoid court in the first place - evidenced by Diamond's email to Gilly - I would say there is more than enough reason to believe that they will be desperate to avoid court and a huge pay out.

Much easier to avoid the extra legal fees and settle for a lower amount if you can and negotiate.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Classy B
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Classy B » 25 Feb 2017, 19:23

Andymac wrote:Out of curiousity, why is everyone assuming it is Sale who are looking for a settlement? The case was brought by Cas, so this adjournment will have been brought by Cas. (I am not saying who is or isn't the most worried, just not as convinced as everyone else that it is Sale). I do not know who their legal counsel is but they have a senior partner of one of the biggest commercial law firms in the country on their BOD.

FWIW if we get offered the rumoured £300k they originally offered we should grab it!

I also guess that both clubs will want a NDA, but I cannot see how we could hide a cash input of 300k or above on annual accounts. That is a big whack to show as "other income" although they may be some way for Sale to pay that directly to Leeds for Zak or into the new stadium and the settlement amount would effectively be hidden.
Hi Andymac,

I'm not sure if your post is serious or a whind up, but if you read any press article from respected media sources, you get the answer to all your questions, ie :- It is Cas who are seeking compensation from Sale and the case has been adjouned to see if sale can make an acceptable out of court offer. Furthermore Cas's legal team have publicly stated, that if the offer doe's not meet Castleford's satisfaction then it will return to court, with an provisional date been set for April.

In addition to this all the top legal experts ( in sports law ) who are not directly involved in the case, have all said the Cas have a very strong case.

Although the actual amount of compensation may not be made public, the details of who has compensated who will.

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 13 Feb 2018, 11:53

Andy Clarke cleared to fleece more clubs by the RFL. That took some time :-

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... -1-9013363

yorkie1bn
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by yorkie1bn » 13 Feb 2018, 19:51

Is Wigan just a town full of crooks .

yorkie1bn
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by yorkie1bn » 13 Feb 2018, 19:52

Is Wigan just a town full of crooks .

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 13 Feb 2018, 20:43

I cant see Andy doing any business with our club again , the same should apply to all the RL family

SFOtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SFOtiger » 13 Feb 2018, 20:55

I can't spake.

Honestly if we want a player he represents badly enough, we'll have to work with him.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 14 Feb 2018, 11:02

The expected result. Weak rfl. Embarrassing.

Tiger53
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tiger53 » 14 Feb 2018, 11:33

Wait for Solomona's return to rugby league.....to Wigan.

Convinced it will happen sooner rather than later.

Burratha
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Burratha » 14 Feb 2018, 11:55

He messed his England chances up when he got sent home for misconduct last year. I agree, he'll be back, once the money and opportunities in yawnion dry up.

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 14 Feb 2018, 12:23

Tiger53 wrote:Wait for Solomona's return to rugby league.....to Wigan.

well he doesnt seem to be playing for sale, having watched them a few times to see if he was on the field but no sight of him?

Alfiedog
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Alfiedog » 14 Feb 2018, 12:27

Injured?? :D

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 14 Feb 2018, 12:36

yorky wrote:

well he doesnt seem to be playing for sale, having watched them a few times to see if he was on the field but no sight of him?
Hope im still on this mortal coil day he trots out down lane to play for wigan agsinst cas ..
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

KB80
League One Player
League One Player

Post by KB80 » 14 Feb 2018, 12:45

yorky wrote:

Are you sure he wasn't just limping around out of camera shot?

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 14 Feb 2018, 12:48

Are you sure he wasn't just limping around out of camera shot?
i thought i saw him sat in the stand coming his hair :shock:

mtashy28

Post by mtashy28 » 15 Feb 2018, 14:50

He is on Team sheet to play game against Saracens on February 16

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 15 Feb 2018, 15:11

He as been with England for the last 2 week getting 22k a game on top of his salary can’t see him coming back to league with the fees union players command