Strength in depth

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Strength in depth

Post by heritage1926 » 10 Jan 2018, 15:37

Was having a think and compared all the announced Super League squads from all 12 clubs. I genuinely believe we go in to the new season with arguably the deepest and best squad about. You take a look at the likes of Warrington, Hull KR, Leeds, Hull FC etc, and on paper, all have a very good 13-17, but if injuries set in, they're dipping in to their 19's. Compare that to us and we have depth and quality if injuries do hit. We can bring in players who have Championship, Super League and International experience. We're pretty blessed to be honest.

Roberts
Mininkin
Shenton
Webster
Eden
Ellis
Gale
Sene-Lefao
McShane
Millington
Wardle
McMeekan
Milner
Moors
Cook
Holmes
Springer
Massey

Green
Clark
Lo
Clare
Hitchcox
Ashton
Egodo
Gill

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Strength in depth

Post by yorky » 10 Jan 2018, 18:07

looks good to me, but it must be frustrating for the fringe players having no reserve team to have a run out with & i seem to remember Daryl saying in an interview that things were being looked into regarding a reserve team?
Last edited by yorky on 10 Jan 2018, 18:31, edited 1 time in total.

Ronnie
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Ronnie » 10 Jan 2018, 18:16

heritage1926 wrote:Was having a think and compared all the announced Super League squads from all 12 clubs. I genuinely believe we go in to the new season with arguably the deepest and best squad about. You take a look at the likes of Warrington, Hull KR, Leeds, Hull FC etc, and on paper, all have a very good 13-17, but if injuries set in, they're dipping in to their 19's. Compare that to us and we have depth and quality if injuries do hit. We can bring in players who have Championship, Super League and International experience. We're pretty blessed to be honest.

Roberts
Mininkin
Shenton
Webster
Eden
Ellis
Gale
Sene-Lefao
McShane
Millington
Wardle
McMeekan
Milner
Moors
Cook
Holmes
Springer
Massey

Green
Clark
Lo
Clare
Hitchcox
Ashton
Egodo
Gill
My real concern is Roberts staying fit. I have not doubt he will be good at full back and even bring elements that ZH didn't, but he was rather hit and miss last year on the injury front

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 10 Jan 2018, 20:06

I was worried about Roberts and his injury record too but stats say he played 25 and 4 sub appearances in SL and 1 appearance and 1 sub appearance in CC. Not too bad really.

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 10 Jan 2018, 20:48

RonnieGibbs'forearm wrote:I was worried about Roberts and his injury record too but stats say he played 25 and 4 sub appearances in SL and 1 appearance and 1 sub appearance in CC. Not too bad really.
Yeh his first full season with us and it was his best. He has carried a lingering injury since World Cup though so hope it passes.

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 10 Jan 2018, 21:06

InTheKnow wrote:
RonnieGibbs'forearm wrote:I was worried about Roberts and his injury record too but stats say he played 25 and 4 sub appearances in SL and 1 appearance and 1 sub appearance in CC. Not too bad really.
Yeh his first full season with us and it was his best. He has carried a lingering injury since World Cup though so hope it passes.
The biggest issue with him was he went missing in the final key games of the year. Seemed like if Roberts played poorly, it impacted the whole team. When he was on song we looked class.
Think he will be decent at fb but certailnly no rrplacement for what Hardsker brought. Will bring a different type of play.

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 10 Jan 2018, 21:10

Squad on paper looks decent. Powell is the master of shaping players to his system and turning what appears average to something of quality.
However, question marks remain over the pack and the lack of Zak/Ellis at SO. Both could easily prove to be positive additions but could also easily be the undoing of our chances to challenge at the very top again.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 11 Jan 2018, 13:21

You can't bring Jamie Ellis in and expect to win anything.
Audacter Et Sincere

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 11 Jan 2018, 13:27

Mysterio wrote:You can't bring Jamie Ellis in and expect to win anything.
sorry lets not start picking on our players, but saying that it might take a bit of weight of Nathan Massey who proved alot of his doubters wrong last season

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 11 Jan 2018, 14:37

Have you ever seen him play in a team as good as ours? Hull KR's - nope. Huddersfield - nope. And before us Hull FC, which I rule out on the premise of him being young and inexperienced.

Sometimes it's all about who you play with, and how you play. Look at our halves: Sneyd, Finn, Roberts and Gale all have ALL improved under Powell.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 11 Jan 2018, 18:37

Finn was too slow and couldnt kick in to space to save his life when he played with us. Couldnt tackle either. Apart fron that he was brilliant.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 12 Jan 2018, 09:09

HuddsTigers wrote:
Have you ever seen him play in a team as good as ours? Hull KR's - nope. Huddersfield - nope. And before us Hull FC, which I rule out on the premise of him being young and inexperienced.

Sometimes it's all about who you play with, and how you play. Look at our halves: Sneyd, Finn, Roberts and Gale all have ALL improved under Powell.
Finn is undoubtedly playing better now at Wakefield, than at any time whilst he was at us. I don't particularly think that was down to Powell. But Sneyd certainly wouldn't of got his big move to Hull, had he not had a decent season with us the year before, £110k for someone who bottled a Challenge Cup final is steep to be fair.

On Jamie Ellis, he brings arguably one of the best kicking games in Super League, probably just behind Danny Brough. That takes a hell of a lot of pressure off Gale every week, he could do with that at the minute. One thing we've really missed is a kicking game close to the line and releaving pressure, we finally have that. He will never be an attacking stand off like Benny Roberts, but he's smarter.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 12 Jan 2018, 09:22

Not tempting fate but Ellis is built like a brick [REMOVED] and the lad can take the knocks, Benny on his day is a player out of the top draw but over recent years we have seen the lad injured more than being fit, will he be able to take the big hits he is sure to get when playing full back ?? for me the jury is out

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 12 Jan 2018, 12:17

heritage1926 wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:

Finn is undoubtedly playing better now at Wakefield, than at any time whilst he was at us. I don't particularly think that was down to Powell. But Sneyd certainly wouldn't of got his big move to Hull, had he not had a decent season with us the year before, £110k for someone who bottled a Challenge Cup final is steep to be fair.

On Jamie Ellis, he brings arguably one of the best kicking games in Super League, probably just behind Danny Brough. That takes a hell of a lot of pressure off Gale every week, he could do with that at the minute. One thing we've really missed is a kicking game close to the line and releaving pressure, we finally have that. He will never be an attacking stand off like Benny Roberts, but he's smarter.
Brilliantly summarised.

I think JE will have a strong season. He has a good footballing brain and plays with his head up.

The term "a bit fragile" always comes to mind when I watch Benny play and an injury to him at some point in the season is my biggest concern for us due to the lack of decent cover at the back.